Windows [HELP] Save Won't Open

ygofarmer

Newcomer
Hey there! I've been having an issue with one of my main save files refusing to load. I'm able to get as far as the save options, but when I click on the save I want, it returns me to the main menu. The other saves seem to be loading just fine, and I've checked the file that isn't working to make sure it isn't corrupted and it's not from what I can tell. I've gone around in circles for hours trying out all of the common fixes for this issue that I've found online with no luck. I also uninstalled my mods temporarily to make sure it wasn't an issue with them and it just closed the game entirely when I tried to load the save. I'm not really tech savvy and I'm not sure how to find the error code without the SMAPI screen that shows up when I launch the game, so this is the error code I got from that:

Code:
[game] System.Xml.XmlException: The '.' character, hexadecimal value 0x00, cannot be included in a name. Line 1, position 3145726.
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElement()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadNode(Boolean skipOverWhitespace)
   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadDocSequence(XmlDocument parentDoc)
   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)
   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(Stream inStream)
   at SpaceCore.Patches.SaveGamePatcher.DeserializeProxy(XmlSerializer serializer, Stream stream, String farmerPath, Boolean fromSaveGame) in C:\Programming\StardewValley\ModSource\SpaceCore\Patches\SaveGamePatcher.cs:line 343
   at StardewValley.SaveGame+c__DisplayClass95_0.<getLoadEnumerator>b__0_PatchedBy<spacechase0.SpaceCore>(<>c__DisplayClass95_0 this)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.<>c.<.cctor>b__277_0(Object obj)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(Task& currentTaskSlot, Thread threadPoolThread)
[SMAPI] An error occurred in the overridden update loop: System.Xml.XmlException: The '.' character, hexadecimal value 0x00, cannot be included in a name. Line 1, position 3145726.
   at StardewValley.SaveGame+<getLoadEnumerator>d__95.MoveNext_PatchedBy<spacechase0.SpaceCore>(<getLoadEnumerator>d__95 this)
   at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.SCore.OnPlayerInstanceUpdating(SGame instance, GameTime gameTime, Action runUpdate) in SMAPI\Framework\SCore.cs:line 639
If anyone has any ideas on what to do about this, I'd really appreciate it!

EDIT
Game version: 1.5.6
Singleplayer

EDIT 2
So apparently I am actually very stupid and was working with the wrong files this entire time. I was working in the save backups under steamapps instead of looking for the direct saves under Users. I was so confused and frustrated about why it wasn't doing anything and now I know why nothing was happening. I was able to fix it by undoing my most recent save now that I actually know what files to work with.

Last edited: