Solved [HELP] Game stuttering

JDMNissanEh

Greenhorn
Hello,

I have recently started playing stardew valley again with one of my friends on PC. When I am playing I have constant fps stutters every few seconds. I don't have a weak PC by any means and yes I have tried reinstalling the game many times.

I have looked up this issue and tried every possible fix and I am starting to get discouraged. Anyone else experiencing the same issue and maybe can offer up a fix??

PC specs:
Ryzen 5 2600x overclocked to 4.2
GTX 16660ti (also overclocked)
16 GB of corsair 3200 ram
M.2 ssd

Update: looks like cpu 0 is hitting 100% usage while all the rest are sitting around 10%

Last edited:

ConcernedApe

Creator & Developer
Staff member
Are you the host or is your friend hosting? It could be an internet connection issue. I haven't heard of anyone with a decent PC having performance issues with Stardew Valley. Have you verified that this doesn't happen in any other game?

JDMNissanEh

Greenhorn
Are you the host or is your friend hosting? It could be an internet connection issue. I haven't heard of anyone with a decent PC having performance issues with Stardew Valley. Have you verified that this doesn't happen in any other game?
Yes, can verify this is not an issue in any other game. I have googled this issue and I have found some results on some steam forums. People with this issue have said that trying to repair Microsoft XNA framework 4.0, but my issue still persists. I have also tried turning v-sync on and off, still no fix.

I can't understand why my game is running on 1 core and constantly sitting at 100% usage causing a freeze frame every few seconds. My issue is also happening in single player as well. I also am Infact hosting the multiplayer game but as I said it is also happening in single player.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me concerned ape, it's truely amazing to see a game maker responding to posts like this.

JDMNissanEh

Greenhorn
MAJOR UPDATE:

I have fixed my performance issue with the game. I went into task manager and set the game from normal to high priority. That fixed the freeze frame but it was still having a 5fps dip at the same internal that the freeze frames were occuring at.

Then I thought to myself that if I I go to set affinity and not allow the came to use the first core maybe it will fix my issue. Sure enough when I unchecked cpu 0, the game moved to running on the second core and now the game runs 100% smooth and locked at 61 fps.

DIrtPizza

Newcomer
MAJOR UPDATE:

I have fixed my performance issue with the game. I went into task manager and set the game from normal to high priority. That fixed the freeze frame but it was still having a 5fps dip at the same internal that the freeze frames were occuring at.

Then I thought to myself that if I I go to set affinity and not allow the came to use the first core maybe it will fix my issue. Sure enough when I unchecked cpu 0, the game moved to running on the second core and now the game runs 100% smooth and locked at 61 fps.
JDMNissanEh!!!! You are the best. I've been driving my self nuts trying to figure out why I am getting constant freezing in this game and this fixed it!!!! I used to do the same thing by setting the priority to real time but still having fps dips.
Do you know why unchecking CPU0 fixes this issue?

vitordn134d

Newcomer
MAJOR UPDATE:

Pls;-; help me ;-; I just understand the part to set the game from normal to high priority, but the next step.. Im just really bad with this

JDMNissanEh

Greenhorn
Pls;-; help me ;-; I just understand the part to set the game from normal to high priority, but the next step.. Im just really bad with this
Open your task manager, click on the details tab, scroll down until you find stardew valley.exe, right click on it, click on set affinity, and uncheck cpu 0.

Then tab back to your game and you'll hopefully notice no more stuttering. only con to this is that it needs to be done every time you open the game but it is still the only working fix I have found.

Hope this helps!

djuniah

Greenhorn
Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm seeing this exact same issue and have some strange details to add. I'm running an i7-8700k along with an Nvidia 2070 Super and I did all of this testing without SMAPI or mods running. It also seems to be more prevalent in multiplayer so I was testing there. Changing the affinity away from core#0 in task manager did fix it, so instead of doing that manually every time I launched the game, I decided to create a .bat file to do it for me and launch the game. For my CPU it was something like this (Note that the "ffe" value varies depending on the number of cores you have, so don't copy/paste this if your CPU has more/less than 12 threads):

Code:
START /high /affinity ffe Stardew\ Valley.exe
That was able to launch the game in high priority mode with the correct affinity, however, the stuttering was still present! I then tried manually changing back to normal priority and all-core affinity while it was running using task manager, and suddenly the stutter went away. It seems like it's not actually the affinity setting itself that is affecting things, but the simple act of changing it. I tested this again by doing the following:
  • launch the game normally
  • it stuttered
  • changed affinity to ignore core#0
  • stutter went away
  • set affinity back to all-core
  • stutter did not return
I have tested this about 5+ times now and the results have been the same each time, simply changing the affinity seems to correct the problem. It's a shame because you can't easily write a script to do this automatically. I don't believe this is related to 1.5 as I seem to remember it happening before, however, I just started playing again and looked into it a bit. Let me know if there is any other useful info I could provide.

Spooch

Newcomer
Having the same issue here. Process Lasso (paid program, but has a free demo), allowed me to set and save the CPU affinity, which totally fixes the issue, but hopefully a patch can fix it on the Stardew side so it doesn't need this. That being said, 1.5 is an amazing update, and it's worth any little jumping through hoops to play it! :)

spoofer

Newcomer
Hi, registered to say that I had the same issue and disabling cpu0 affinity fixes the stuttering for me as well.
Software: Windows 10, new v.1.5 save file, single player. Playing in windowed and full screen modes.
Hardware: Ryzen 3600, RTX2070, single 60Hz monitor.

Reefkeeper

Newcomer
Registered an account to chime in here -- I am also having this issue and it is also corrected by toggling CPU 0 off and then on again in the affinity settings. Annoying to have to worry about it each game session. Fresh install with no mods whatsoever.

System Specs:

Processor: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X 16-Core Processor 3.50 GHz
Installed RAM: 64.0 GB DDR4 3600
Graphics: NVDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti
Display: Asus ROG PG279Q 144hz 2K
System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Fullscreen/windows and toggling V-sync on and off did nothing to impact the situation. Definitely a bug here that should be resolved.

Thanks!

Spooch

Newcomer
I'm wondering if this is a Ryzen issue, or certain Ryzen CPUs. I'm on a 3600x.

Dang, 1.5 is great though otherwise.

di3zel

Newcomer
I'm having somewhat of the same issue however setting the priority and affinity did not fix it.

I'm using an ultrawide and my game heavily modded. My screen will flicker either going up or down after about 5 minutes in game. Moving left or right seems fine and the flicker only happens when going up or down. Then my game will completely stop screen scrolling so my character will be walking and the camera will not follow him. I have no idea how to fix this. Any ideas?

**Disregard I think i figured it out. Its was the Longevity mod that was causing this issue.

Last edited:

sunfang2

Greenhorn
I am also having this issue and it is also corrected by toggling CPU 0 off. It is a good enough workaround, but it is a bit annoying to do it every time.

System specs:
Processor: Intel Core i7-6700HQ 3.5 GHz
Installed RAM: 8.0 GB DDR4 2133 MHz
Graphics: NVDIA GeForce GTX 950M

EDIT: nvm, the stuttering came back and changing the core affinity won't fix it.

Last edited:

ThatGuy

Greenhorn
Hey hey. As some others already did, I made an account to chime in and say that I have the same problem. It's a fresh install and changing the core affinity fixed it.
I honestly got nothing new to contribute but to say thanks for the help, as this did fix the stutter. It's a tad annoying to have to do it every time and I hope there will be a fix for it, but for now... thank you guys very much :D

Hello! I also made an account to say I have the same issue with unplayable amounts of stuttering and lag, which is weird because I'm running on a computer built for 4k video editing. The fix of unchecking CPU0 for the core affinity fixed it. It didn't matter if it was solo or co-op, because as soon as the game opened up I was getting horrible lag trying to navigate the main menu.

Edit: Also mentioning that every time I launch the game I have to re-do the CPU core affinity fix, because I load into the menu with instant lag every time and discover that all cores have been selected again.

Computer Specs:
Intel Core i9 9900k 3.6Ghz 8-Core Processor
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4-3200

Last edited:

LittleForest

Newcomer
New account.

First time player of Stardew tonight. Tried playing co-op with friends, then continued to troubleshoot single player. Brutal drops to 2-4 frames before bouncing back up to 60 every couple of minutes or so. Tried several different fixes found online including the CPU core affinity (fresh install, verifying local cache, etc. etc.). Nothing worked. I'm not sure what's going on but I'm pretty turned off the game at this point. Got 65 frustrating minutes in before I quit. Does not happen to any other game in my Steam library.

Any other suggestions? I want to like the game, but at this point I'm thinking I'm out.

Specs:
Intel i5-9600K @3.7
GTX1660Ti
32 GB HyperX at 2666