Solved [HELP] Game stuttering

sombrero

Newcomer
Same issues. Only have SMAPI installed and frames drops from 60 to 45 at about the same delays. Does it on menu or anywhere in the game. ITs so annoying. Nothing worked
Concerning affinity setting. My cpu has 8 cores. I found that disabling core 1 helped. Disabling core 1 & 2 was better. So, you might need to try disabling more until you see an improvement. Two other things:

1) I found that win 10 does not have this problem on my computer. I do most of my gaming on a server 2016 partition because that os is more stable for gaming, I find. But server 2016 does have the stutter problem. Server 2016 is based on windows 7, so it might be that most people who see this problem are running win 7.

2) I did find several places in my search for this problem that told me the affinity setting won't make much difference on recent cpu's. Mine is AMD FX 8140.

MrPietro

Newcomer
Concerning affinity setting. My cpu has 8 cores. I found that disabling core 1 helped. Disabling core 1 & 2 was better. So, you might need to try disabling more until you see an improvement. Two other things:

1) I found that win 10 does not have this problem on my computer. I do most of my gaming on a server 2016 partition because that os is more stable for gaming, I find. But server 2016 does have the stutter problem. Server 2016 is based on windows 7, so it might be that most people who see this problem are running win 7.

2) I did find several places in my search for this problem that told me the affinity setting won't make much difference on recent cpu's. Mine is AMD FX 8140.
I have win10
My cpu is a i9 9900k

Sluceros

Newcomer
Like most I made a account to say the same thing around 3 to 4 frames dropped every few seconds. It's really odd. I have a razer blade 15 laptop with a separate monitor and a 1660 nvidia gpu. I'm also using smapi never had an issue with it before. I only have 15 mods installed but like others here it seems smapi itself is causing the stutter when launched will all the mods disabled the problem persists.

Setting the affinity and disabling a cpu0 did nothing. I attempted to edit some of the configuration files for smapi internal I thought I saw some improvement by setting the log functions to false lowering frame drop to 2. It was diffcult to tell. I ended up reinstalling all of my mods and relaunched smapi and for whatever reason I had a full session playing the game where it stayed at a solid 60 fps. However, I launched the game again today and the stuttering came back. It's maddening.

Fawh

Greenhorn
Hey had the same issue but I fixed mine now!

The task manager stuff didn't help me.

Updating my mods did.

So it is a mod causing it. If you aren't playing with mods, Don't know what to say other than try the task manager thing :/

space1248

Cowpoke
how do you fix this on Chromebook with steam running with Linux app?
i am able to play a day in game without any noticeable lag up until about 5 pm when the lag becomes unplayable and sleeping does little to nothing.
i can run terraria just fine though

Last edited:

Ptituf

Farmhand
Old post but same probleme, uncheck cpu 0 and hight affinity worked for me thanks. Any patch/fix comming ?

DjCrizzle

Newcomer
I was having the same issue and the only way I could fix it was by launching with steam in offline mode. Might be worth a try for anyone still struggling.

thealicats

Greenhorn
Game stutters regardless of which mod I have installed. I have tried everything suggested in this thread so far and I'm assuming the problem lies in SMAPI.

GreTheMage

Cowpoke
Same issue here, I have tried everything that has been suggested on every thread here, on steam, and on redit, seriously out of ideas.

DarkCrystal

Greenhorn
Hi so one of my friends is completely unable to play Stardew Valley he has tried everything but they have not work like use to lag to the point of being unplayable now when he tries to bring the game up it just chases his PC which at this point if I even talking about the game he gets depressed can someone please help us

Randomperson

Newcomer
Made an account to share the fix I have found that works for me. May not work for everyone since no fix really does.

So, you will need to 'modify' the XNA Framework of Microsoft, and to do this, you’ll need to:

1. Navigate on the lower left of your screen at the desktop.
  2. Click on the Windows icon and search for the “Add or Remove programs“. If you’re running Windows 10, it’ll be a lot easier.
  3. Browse through the items until you get to the “Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable”.
  4. Once you’re there, select “Modify”. This will open a window.
  5. Once you’re in there, there are two options. Select “Repair”.
This will fix the stutter and FPS issues in the game. You will need to launch the game once again.

memelord3000

Greenhorn
I’m having this issue as well, audio started distorting after about a minute of game play and had some frame drops. Changing the priority to high and turning off cpu0 worked for like ten or fifteen minutes but then it happened again, this time way worse than before- I could barely get into bed to save my progress for that day because of the extreme frame drops (I don’t know how to find out how many it was). I do have a lot mods running and my laptop is ten years old, this is the first time I’ve booted it up in years. I used to play vanilla Stardew on it in like 2017 but I don’t remember if I had any issues with it then. I really wanted to try some cool mods that I can’t have on my ps4. I tried to do the integrated graphics card thing but I only have one graphics card listed under display adapters? Is my laptop just too old for that fix?

I’ve also tried the Microsoft XNA thing but when I click on repair I get a message saying “The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package ‘xnafx40_redist.msi’ in the box below.” The box below auto fills in with a file from a random game I have on steam, I tried clicking okay to try again and it tried to use that file but it did not work, saying the file can’t be found. I checked the game files for Stardew but there’s nothing in the XNA redist folder. I found an article that talked about someone on Reddit that uploaded a file that you can use instead if it’s absent, but I can’t figure out how to install it or if it’s gonna change my save files. Does anyone know about this?

This is everything I could find on my computer about its processors and stuff. I’m not very tech savvy so I’m not sure what is relevant or not 😅

AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 1.90 GHz. 64-bit OS, x64-based processor. Windows 8.1. Graphics card is AMD Radeon HD 7640G. 6GB RAM (5.47GB usable)

EDIT: just noticed this thread is in the non-modded section, my apologies if this isn’t the right place for this, I’m completely new to the forum

Last edited:

CarlosCu

Farmhand
I have a small hope that in the new version they will completely correct this error or at least add a solution, it is somewhat uncomfortable how often it happens sometimes... :(

Tilla

Newcomer
Heyy I came to say I have the same problem, I tried uninstalling, doing the CPU thingy and more that was recommended here....but it doesn't fix the issue of lag and now, my game always stops halfway and I have to exit after a while (been playing the same day over and over). I think for now I'll stick to mobile. Kinda sad though, I wanted to try out mods for the laptop version but the vanilla one already has issues QAQ

KmartWarrior

Newcomer
Hey all! Just adding on here to say this issue is not solved (like the top of the blog says). I've attempted all solutions that I've come across and only managed to reduce the stuttering slightly. I'm hoping 1.6 will come with a fix for this, but in the meantime if anyone has any new ideas or solutions that would be great. I really want to get back into the game on my gaming laptop.

marry.angell

Greenhorn
I have the same problem and, for some reason, when I use the secondary ability of any sword (block), the stuttering stops. But after a while it comes back.
So whenever it happens, you need to use the sword skill.
It's annoying having to pick up the sword all the time, but it's the only solution I've found so far.