Solved [HELP] Game Crashing when loading save file

Hey MysticTempest! I've been having the same problem as a lot of others on the forum, whenever I try to load my save file it crashes. I think it might be something to do with one of the XML documents not loading correctly because it hasn't updated properly, although I'm not too sure on this.

If you had time to check out my file I would really appreciate it! I've seen you've been able to get some other peoples' save files working again, so I decided to give it a shot by asking :)
Howdy @eggowaffle , and thanks for including the log with it!

You're somewhat correct; more specifically, the save files are XML data files. So that error was telling us the location in the savefile where it was broken; and why.

I took a look, and you were missing a chunk of data at the tail end of your savefile. But, luckily your savefolder had backups of the previous in-game day that SDV creates each time it saves.
So, I just rolled you back a day per these instructions: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Saves#Undo_the_last_save

I tested in-game to be sure, and it loads fine now for me.

Attachments

eggowaffle

Greenhorn
Howdy @eggowaffle , and thanks for including the log with it!

You're somewhat correct; more specifically, the save files are XML data files. So that error was telling us the location in the savefile where it was broken; and why.

I took a look, and you were missing a chunk of data at the tail end of your savefile. But, luckily your savefolder had backups of the previous in-game day that SDV creates each time it saves.
So, I just rolled you back a day per these instructions: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Saves#Undo_the_last_save

I tested in-game to be sure, and it loads fine now for me.
Hey MysticTempest!

Honestly thank you so friggin' much! I really appreciate it! I was so happy I was able to get back into the save file again!

You're doing some great work for us with save file issues, you're an absolute legend :)

anyway you can take a look at mine? ive tried forever to try to fix. really would appreciate it :)
Your save loads up fine for me. The error logs are next to the Save folder, and should tell you why it's not working.

But, make sure your game is fully up to date to first; as that's a common issue.

ghoulia

Farmhand
This really might be a long shot, but might anyone be able to take a look at my game?
My years-old save file suddenly became badly corrupted last summer and now crashes on opening no matter what. I've tried every possible fix that I could understand how to attempt. In an act of desperation I eventually ripped out and deleted all of my mods, not knowing what I was doing nor what else to try, and I think that likely made the problem worse. I got my best friend who's a computer scientist to look at it and even he gave up after hours of trying truly everything, so it's been an immensely frustrating and disappointing experience. I don't know if it's at all possible to fix, but this is my last try. If I can't get it to work I really don't know if I can say goodbye to all that progress and start over again.
I apologize but I'm really not very technologically proficient; I don't even really know how to make the save a zip file? I'm a Mac user and I can follow detailed instructions for whatever that's worth!
Getting this game fixed would mean the world. thank you so much if anyone smarter than me can help.

This really might be a long shot, but might anyone be able to take a look at my game?
My years-old save file suddenly became badly corrupted last summer and now crashes on opening no matter what. I've tried every possible fix that I could understand how to attempt. In an act of desperation I eventually ripped out and deleted all of my mods, not knowing what I was doing nor what else to try, and I think that likely made the problem worse. I got my best friend who's a computer scientist to look at it and even he gave up after hours of trying truly everything, so it's been an immensely frustrating and disappointing experience. I don't know if it's at all possible to fix, but this is my last try. If I can't get it to work I really don't know if I can say goodbye to all that progress and start over again.
I apologize but I'm really not very technologically proficient; I don't even really know how to make the save a zip file? I'm a Mac user and I can follow detailed instructions for whatever that's worth!
Getting this game fixed would mean the world. thank you so much if anyone smarter than me can help.
I see you have a previous thread.
Can you take another look at your thread from last summer - https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/help-game-closes-out-when-i-select-a-save-file.8225/
Follow the link for SMAPI that I posted; it'll provide instructions on uploading the log if it still exists.

And post your save over on that thread as well.
How to find your save: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Saves#Mac

Hi, I'm also having issues with the game crashing when I try to load a specific save. It's not modded, and it crashes both via Steam and SMAPI. Other saves work fine, but this is the one I want to play :(
Howdy, it looks like your save was missing some of its data. But, the game's backup was fine.
So, I just rolled you back to the previous day per the instructions here: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Saves#Undo_the_last_save

And, it loads up now.

Attachments

Ryu15

Newcomer
Howdy, it looks like your save was missing some of its data. But, the game's backup was fine.
So, I just rolled you back to the previous day per the instructions here: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Saves#Undo_the_last_save

And, it loads up now.
hello, the same thing happen to me i could open the saved character because it would crash, ill apreciatte it if you could fix it too i already instaled xna to try and fix it but i couldnt

pd: sorry for bad english its not my main language

Attachments

hello, the same thing happen to me i could open the saved character because it would crash, ill apreciatte it if you could fix it too i already instaled xna to try and fix it but i couldnt

pd: sorry for bad english its not my main language
Hi, I gave your save a try, but it loads up fine for me.
Do you have any SDV logs you can share?

Via the pinned Steam topic: https://steamcommunity.com/app/413150/discussions/1/142261027577987927/
Log locations:
Windows: %AppData%\Roaming\StardewValley\ErrorLogs
Linux: ~/.config/StardewValley/ErrorLogs
Mac: ~/StardewValley/ErrorLogs

ninapadla

Greenhorn
Привет, я попробовал тебя сохранить, но это нормально для меня. У вас есть какие-либо журналы SDV, которыми вы можете поделиться? Через закрепленную тему Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/app/413150/discussions/1/142261027577987927/ Расположение журналов: Windows: %AppData%\Roaming\StardewValley\ErrorLogs Linux: ~/.config/StardewValley/ErrorLogs Mac: ~/StardewValley/ErrorLogs [/ЦИТАТА]
hi, I don't know if you can explain to me what the problem with the save file, but I have it only works on iOS, on PC in SMAPI is looped on the White screen, mods: "saveAnywhere" and "freezeTime". another save works correctly, but the main works only on the phone. Can you ask to fix the problem and tell me what it's about?

p.s. on laptop is the same, version everywhere 1.5.6, SMAPI is also relevant as fashion. they don't bring anything into the game, others work properly.
on the iOS version Appstore latest Appstore.

Attachments

Last edited:
hi, I don't know if you can explain to me what the problem with the save file, but I have it only works on iOS, on PC in SMAPI is looped on the White screen, mods: "saveAnywhere" and "freezeTime". another save works correctly, but the main works only on the phone. Can you ask to fix the problem and tell me what it's about?

p.s. on laptop is the same, version everywhere 1.5.6, SMAPI is also relevant as fashion. they don't bring anything into the game, others work properly.
on the iOS version Appstore latest Appstore.
Howdy, yea I took a look. A bit odd.

My error log when loading your save.
Code:
InnerException: System.ArgumentException: Requested value 'Mill' was not found.
   at System.Enum.TryParseByName(RuntimeType enumType, String originalValueString, ReadOnlySpan`1 value, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean throwOnFailure, UInt64& result)
   at System.Enum.TryParseInt32Enum(RuntimeType enumType, String originalValueString, ReadOnlySpan`1 value, Int32 minInclusive, Int32 maxInclusive, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean throwOnFailure, TypeCode type, Int32& result)
   at System.Enum.TryParse(Type enumType, String value, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean throwOnFailure, Object& result)
   at Netcode.NetEnum`1.Add(String value)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read20_Chest(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read105_Mill(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read110_Building(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read113_Farm(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read190_GameLocation(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read237_SaveGame(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read238_SaveGame()
Stack Trace:    at StardewValley.SaveGame.getLoadEnumerator(String file)+MoveNext()
   at StardewValley.Game1.UpdateTitleScreen(GameTime time)
   at StardewValley.Game1._update(GameTime gameTime)
   at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime)
   at StardewValley.GameRunner.Update(GameTime gameTime)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DoUpdate(GameTime gameTime)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.SdlGamePlatform.RunLoop()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run(GameRunBehavior runBehavior)
   at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args)

Game Version: 1.5.6
SDK Helper: SteamHelper
Game Language: en
GPU: AMD CAYMAN (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.15.0-52-generic, LLVM 8.0.0)
In-game Date: spring 0 Y1 Time of Day: 600
Game Location: null

Save error was related to the Mill. When I dug into the code; the issue was the output chest, of the Mill building.
Specifically, it was crashing on the
<specialChestType>Mill</specialChestType>
line.

It should normally default to "None", like so:
<specialChestType>None</specialChestType>

I fixed that, and also removed a few of the item slots; as it wasn't showing output items in testing.

I don't have a mobile version of Stardew to test if it still works there. But, it looks good now on my end, while testing on the Steam version.
But, let me know if you come across any other issues.

Attachments

ninapadla

Greenhorn
Howdy, yea I took a look. A bit odd.

My error log when loading your save.
Code:
InnerException: System.ArgumentException: Requested value 'Mill' was not found.
   at System.Enum.TryParseByName(RuntimeType enumType, String originalValueString, ReadOnlySpan`1 value, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean throwOnFailure, UInt64& result)
   at System.Enum.TryParseInt32Enum(RuntimeType enumType, String originalValueString, ReadOnlySpan`1 value, Int32 minInclusive, Int32 maxInclusive, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean throwOnFailure, TypeCode type, Int32& result)
   at System.Enum.TryParse(Type enumType, String value, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean throwOnFailure, Object& result)
   at Netcode.NetEnum`1.Add(String value)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read20_Chest(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read105_Mill(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read110_Building(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read113_Farm(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read190_GameLocation(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read237_SaveGame(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read238_SaveGame()
Stack Trace:    at StardewValley.SaveGame.getLoadEnumerator(String file)+MoveNext()
   at StardewValley.Game1.UpdateTitleScreen(GameTime time)
   at StardewValley.Game1._update(GameTime gameTime)
   at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime)
   at StardewValley.GameRunner.Update(GameTime gameTime)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DoUpdate(GameTime gameTime)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.SdlGamePlatform.RunLoop()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run(GameRunBehavior runBehavior)
   at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args)

Game Version: 1.5.6
SDK Helper: SteamHelper
Game Language: en
GPU: AMD CAYMAN (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.15.0-52-generic, LLVM 8.0.0)
In-game Date: spring 0 Y1 Time of Day: 600
Game Location: null

Save error was related to the Mill. When I dug into the code; the issue was the output chest, of the Mill building.
Specifically, it was crashing on the
<specialChestType>Mill</specialChestType>
line.

It should normally default to "None", like so:
<specialChestType>None</specialChestType>

I fixed that, and also removed a few of the item slots; as it wasn't showing output items in testing.

I don't have a mobile version of Stardew to test if it still works there. But, it looks good now on my end, while testing on the Steam version.
But, let me know if you come across any other issues.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! I'm working on my phone and PC. the problem was only in this "Mill"? do you need to change the " none” next time in the game file “player_seed” if it is?
and another funny thing: stall on the phone flies) it is higher than need, strange)
thanx ❤🤝
4CED7FF9-92FC-401C-A3A9-EC03494113BA.jpeg
BD82F503-C509-4D99-AE82-93D74C97C6D2.jpeg

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! I'm working on my phone and PC. the problem was only in this "Mill"? do you need to change the " none” next time in the game file “player_seed” if it is?
and another funny thing: stall on the phone flies) it is higher than need, strange)
thanx ❤🤝
No prob! Glad I could help.

Yea, the problem was only with the Mill.
If you continue with the fixed save on the PC; it'll be okay. No need to edit it again.

But, if you put it back on your phone; it may crash again later. But, I'm not sure.
As I said; I don't have Stardew on mobile so I'm not sure if this is normal for it. Or perhaps something else happened.

The horse stable is weird; did that happen before on mobile?
As I didn't touch that in the save at all. And, it looks normal on PC:
horseStable.png

ninapadla

Greenhorn
No prob! Glad I could help.

Yea, the problem was only with the Mill.
If you continue with the fixed save on the PC; it'll be okay. No need to edit it again.

But, if you put it back on your phone; it may crash again later. But, I'm not sure.
As I said; I don't have Stardew on mobile so I'm not sure if this is normal for it. Or perhaps something else happened.

The horse stable is weird; did that happen before on mobile?
As I didn't touch that in the save at all. And, it looks normal on PC:
View attachment 15011
yeah, the PC's all right with the stable. sometimes there is a problem with saving after sleep, eternal loading. the game can be closed and won the day. and on the PC, and on the phone it is present. well, that's not very critical. thank you again;)

vigh3000

Newcomer
Hey guys, I just had the same problem with the Mill. Wanted to continue my iOS game on PC and it crashed. Very glad to have found the solution here, thanks!

ocra

Greenhorn
Hello, I've been having the same problem. Just imported my save file from my phone to my PC. No mods installed, and when I hit load on my save file the game crashes.
Attaching logs and save files, hope someone can help me out here!

Attachments