Solved [HELP] Game Crashing when loading save file

mouse

Farmer
The best place to start is with your SMAPI log in the mod support subforum! The log has a lot of important information that anyone can help with, and the new thread makes it easy for anyone to see :)

ittybitty

Greenhorn
Hi Mouse!
I'm sorry to bother, but if you have the time I'd appreciate it if you could take a look at my save as well. I've tried to follow the troubleshoot on the official site but it did not work. I've also attached one of the error logs if that might help. (I also haven't used any mods.)

Thanks!

Attachments

mouse

Farmer
Hi Mouse!
I'm sorry to bother, but if you have the time I'd appreciate it if you could take a look at my save as well. I've tried to follow the troubleshoot on the official site but it did not work. I've also attached one of the error logs if that might help. (I also haven't used any mods.)

Thanks!
Could you do me a favor and test all of these, and tell me which ones work for you, if any? (I can't actually test any of them right now, so hopefully I didn't break any of them with an accidental keypress and ruin testing 🙄 )

(I also just made a thread for this specific issue, you can answer over there if you'd like since this is an ancient thread for a solved and separate issue :) )

Attachments

sierrajf

Greenhorn
Hi! Mouse I would love if you could help me with my issue as well. I've been working on my save for years and I just came back to the game after not playing for several months, but now my save file isn't working :( I've tried a ton of different troubleshooting steps, I've been at it for hours so this is my last hope!
I attached the save file. All my other characters are working, it's just this one that's not. I've never used this forum before, so not sure if there's a better place (this is directly related to my issue) to put this or if you need more than my save files. This file has only ever lived on my computer. I greatly appreciate any insight!

Attachments

imnvs

Local Legend
Hi! Mouse I would love if you could help me with my issue as well. I've been working on my save for years and I just came back to the game after not playing for several months, but now my save file isn't working :( I've tried a ton of different troubleshooting steps, I've been at it for hours so this is my last hope!
I attached the save file. All my other characters are working, it's just this one that's not. I've never used this forum before, so not sure if there's a better place (this is directly related to my issue) to put this or if you need more than my save files. This file has only ever lived on my computer. I greatly appreciate any insight!
Are you playing the 1.5.5 beta, or 1.5.4?

Ldanzicourt

Greenhorn
Somebody help, please
When I try to open my world the game starts loading and suddenly it crashes, I can play in other saves but not in this world, I played this game in multiplayer and I don't know if it affected it in any way.
I'm desperate
Here are the save files and the crash log

Attachments

Hey, I'm just going to jump in, & help out; after Ldanzicourt linked me from Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/app/4131...0954399/?tscn=1635999767#c3159832276061402940.

But, I'm also wondering if maybe we should get the mods to create a dedicated save fixing thread.

Somebody help, please

When I try to open my world the game starts loading and suddenly it crashes, I can play in other saves but not in this world, I played this game in multiplayer and I don't know if it affected it in any way.

I'm desperate

Here are the save files and the crash log
As mentioned in the Steam thread. Thanks for the error log.
There was a typo at the end of your save file; I fixed that and it loads now.
I've attached your fixed save below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I'm here; I took a look at yours as well.

Your save is crashing due to you having used SDV Expanded in the past. Either replay your save with your previous mods; or use the updated save I tweaked below.
As I've deleted the custom NPCs in this version; so it can be loaded in an un-modded SDV install.
Your fixed save is also attached below.

Attachments

Ldanzicourt

Greenhorn
Hey, I'm just going to jump in, & help out; after Ldanzicourt linked me from Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/app/4131...0954399/?tscn=1635999767#c3159832276061402940.

But, I'm also wondering if maybe we should get the mods to create a dedicated save fixing thread.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your save is crashing due to you having used SDV Expanded in the past. Either replay your save with your previous mods; or use the updated save I tweaked below.
As I've deleted the custom NPCs in this version; so it can be loaded in an un-modded SDV install.
Thank you so much, this is my first map because i bought the game recently and you really saved me

sierrajf

Greenhorn

Omg, you're amazing, thank you so much for helping, it worked!

This save works fine for me, so it isn't the same issue. (Most saving issues aren't because of just one thing, and can be caused by many different things!)

You'll need to include the crash log, if you can find one. On Windows it would be in %appdata%\StardewValley\ErrorLogs (the folder above it is the same one your saves are in), on Mac ~/.config/StardewValley/ErrorLogs and on Linux ~/.local/share/StardewValley/ErrorLogs.

(If you were using or have ever used any mods, there should be a SMAPI log in the error logs folder that you can share via this site.)
Hi Mouse!! I'm having the same problem as the first user with the save file crashing the game when I open it. I have another save file but when I load it it's normal. Not sure what's going on with this one though, I was hoping if you could take a look at it or fix it if you can

Attachments

Hi Mouse!! I'm having the same problem as the first user with the save file crashing the game when I open it. I have another save file but when I load it it's normal. Not sure what's going on with this one though, I was hoping if you could take a look at it or fix it if you can
Hi, I'm not sure when Mouse is coming back, and I'm still subscribed to this thread; so I took a look.

The issue with your save is 'MarlonFay' NPC data from the SDV Expanded mod; was still in your save. Here's a version with it deleted so you can play unmodded SDV if you want.

Attachments

Amajzng

Newcomer
Hi Mouse, I'm having the same issue here and found that you are able to fix it for others' game file. I'm in year 4 now and hope that I can continue with it instead of start a new game. Can you help me to have a look on my saved game file?

Attachments

Amajzng

Newcomer
Hi Mouse, I'm having the same issue here and found that you are able to fix it for others' game file. I'm in year 4 now and hope that I can continue with it instead of start a new game. Can you help me to have a look on my saved game file?
Seems like it's a bug after we applied wallpaper or floors for our rooms. The game file variables for <wallpaper> and <floor> become incorrect after that. Just tried to remove these lines and it worked for me!
Screenshot (90).png

Seems like it's a bug after we applied wallpaper or floors for our rooms. The game file variables for <wallpaper> and <floor> become incorrect after that. Just tried to remove these lines and it worked for me!
Yea, I tested your save, but it loaded without issue for me. Seems you may have the same odd bug that only a few people are experiencing. Mouse has a thread over here for this issue: https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/post-unmodded-1-5-5-beta-save-crashes-here.9421/

If you want to go, and answer his questionnaire over there. And, post any logs or extra info you can; to help troubleshoot things. It'd be quite welcome.

Hey everyone, having same issue where loading the save file closes the game. Can someone help me '>'
I noticed many people expecting to get help from @mouse or @MysticTempest .
Not sure when Mouse is coming back. @Ram
The best way to start is to examine the error message or have a smapi, as mouse said.

or you could try to figure how to fix them without involving coding.
Or you can wait for mouse to fix your issue.

Last edited: