PC [HELP] Game Closes Out When I Select A Save File

ghoulia

Farmhand
Hey y'all. This is my first post here! Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place or I'm missing some obvious fix - I looked and did my best but there's so much to sort through, so I'm sorry if I missed anything!

I haven't played SDV in maybe a month, but last night I just tried to get back into it and was unable to. As of now, the game opens and seems to run fine, but it swiftly shuts out when it attempts to load my main save file. It doesn't have any issue running a new game, my two other farms (which have little to no progress, I think they're both in their first or second season), or a co-op. Just the one I've put 4 years and 200 hours into, which I have to say isn't the one I would have picked for this to happen to!

I've tried every fix I've found that I felt able to do -
- uninstalled and reinstalled
- backed up the game
- verified game cache
- checked that there are no problems with audio output
- removed mod and smapi folders (*whether or not these folders are in my game folder doesn't seem to make a difference - it doesn't seem that the game even tries to run my mods*)

I play on a Macbook, and I'm not that well versed in game file stuff, so there's a few things I couldn't figure out how to attempt. I did not manage to:
- launch the game in "administration mode" (?)
- the "gamedirectory/_commonredist"etc Vcredist thing
- go to "%appdata" - not sure how to do this on mac? can't find that on finder or in the sdv file.

I'm so scared of losing my game but I'm also scared to risk messing something up by messing around in files that I don't understand. Any help or advice is so appreciated - please be really specific though! Do not be afraid to explain things like I'm five, I'd rather have too much detail than not enough. Thanks in advance to anyone who can try to help <3

Last edited by a moderator:
If you were running SMAPI; then a SMAPI crash log would be helpful: https://smapi.io/log/
Especially since it's just that one save; it could just be modded data causing crashes when you load it.

As for the instructions you couldn't figure out for the macbook; don't worry. Those are Windows things, and won't apply here.

ghoulia

Farmhand
If you were running SMAPI; then a SMAPI crash log would be helpful: https://smapi.io/log/
Especially since it's just that one save; it could just be modded data causing crashes when you load it.

As for the instructions you couldn't figure out for the macbook; don't worry. Those are Windows things, and won't apply here.
OK, I've sufficiently procrastinated doing something that turned out much easier than I expected!

I've located my save in Finder, but I can't seem to find any way to post it here D:

OK, I've sufficiently procrastinated doing something that turned out much easier than I expected!

I've located my save in Finder, but I can't seem to find any way to post it here D:
Thanks, I'm not seeing any of the big mods; that add a lot of custom data to the saves.
Looks like a couple years ago you mostly had retextures, and a couple simple mods that claimed they can be easily uninstalled.
But, still a good idea check the save.

As for the save, if you zip up the folder. Then the "Attach files" button on the bottom left of this reply box will let you attach it.

You may also want to take a peek, and see if there's any regular log files; in the "ErrorLogs" folder next to the "Saves" folder.

ghoulia

Farmhand
Thanks, I'm not seeing any of the big mods; that add a lot of custom data to the saves.
Looks like a couple years ago you mostly had retextures, and a couple simple mods that claimed they can be easily uninstalled.
But, still a good idea check the save.

As for the save, if you zip up the folder. Then the "Attach files" button on the bottom left of this reply box will let you attach it.

You may also want to take a peek, and see if there's any regular log files; in the "ErrorLogs" folder next to the "Saves" folder.
Here's the zip! I do believe after the save was corrupted I tried to gut it of mods to see if that did anything, to no results. Thanks so much for looking.

Attachments

Here's the zip! I do believe after the save was corrupted I tried to gut it of mods to see if that did anything, to no results. Thanks so much for looking.
Thanks!

So, yea a bit odd; there were multiple copies of the save in the save folder. And, that can cause issues.
But, there was a modded NPC there after all; that was crashing the game too. An NPC named Marigold; apparently from an older version of DSV.

But, I fixed that, and verified it loads up now in a regular, unmodded SDV.
Just delete the old save from your "Saves" folder, and extract this one in.

Attachments

ghoulia

Farmhand
Thanks!

So, yea a bit odd; there were multiple copies of the save in the save folder. And, that can cause issues.
But, there was a modded NPC there after all; that was crashing the game too. An NPC named Marigold; apparently from an older version of DSV.

But, I fixed that, and verified it loads up now in a regular, unmodded SDV.
Just delete the old save from your "Saves" folder, and extract this one in.
WOW. i really never thought i could get this fixed and certainly wouldn't have without your help, thank you SO SO SO much. you're a hero!
is it safe to install mods? I'm a little scared to mess with it - is there a good way to prevent this from happening again?

WOW. i really never thought i could get this fixed and certainly wouldn't have without your help, thank you SO SO SO much. you're a hero!
is it safe to install mods? I'm a little scared to mess with it - is there a good way to prevent this from happening again?
No prob! ^-^

Yea, it's safe to install mods.
Though mods that add custom data like NPCs, or items will cause the save to have issues if you try to play it unmodded again.

SMAPI does come with a mod called "ErrorHandler" that can help with minor fixes as well.
If you stop playing with mods; try to run the save through SMAPI, & ErrorHanlder an extra day with the other mods removed. As, it can help clean up the save a bit

For any further issues after that; bring a SMAPI log, and post a topic to the 'Mod Support' section of the forum for help.

Nubian52

Newcomer
No prob! ^-^

Yea, it's safe to install mods.
Though mods that add custom data like NPCs, or items will cause the save to have issues if you try to play it unmodded again.

SMAPI does come with a mod called "ErrorHandler" that can help with minor fixes as well.
If you stop playing with mods; try to run the save through SMAPI, & ErrorHanlder an extra day with the other mods removed. As, it can help clean up the save a bit

For any further issues after that; bring a SMAPI log, and post a topic to the 'Mod Support' section of the forum for help.

Hello, I'm having the same problem but it's a save file from iPhone to windows. After I click the save file, it says loading, then completely closes out.