PC [HELP] Game Crashes During Extended Pause Periods

thechickenmoo

Newcomer
My game crashes if I pause the game for more than a minute or two. I have kids so I will play and then need to pause and come back 5-10 minute later. The game has frozen at that point. Windows then recognizes it as not responding. I try "Waiting for it to respond" a couple of times with no change before ending the process.
No logs are created in %appdata%/StardewValley/ (No error log folder seems to exist, so I assume the folder is created on first use.)
Steam, Fresh Install, Patched up to the latest (as of ~4 something today)
New game was started today, no mods or etc.
Windows 10.
I use bluetooth audio (Trekz Titanium Headset) and Bluetooth Controller (Switch Pro Controller)

The computer isn't attempting to sleep or etc. based on my settings. (Laptop, plugged in and set to best performance and never sleep/hibernate.)

As I started writing this I started wondering if perhaps the controller auto-shutting off had anything to do with it. I'll see about testing that somehow and update this post if I have anything to share.

EDIT: I do believe the controller is related to the crash. If I enter the game and use mouse/keyboard I'm able to pause and leave it and come back without issues.
I tried turning the controller on after using keyboard/mouse to pause and no issues there.
Tried pausing with controller and leaving it and coming back/turning contoller back on and it was frozen again.
Tried manually shutting controller off and then coming back and turning back one and it seemed to be ok. (Confirmed this twice. This may be my workaround for now. Hopefully I remember each time.)
In conclusion, when the controller shuts itself off to save power, it seems to game reacts differently to that, or perhaps when it turns back on?

Last edited:

PurpleKite

Newcomer
I'm having the exact same issue, except I'm using the keyboard and a wireless mouse. So I'm not sure if it's just a controller issue. Hopefully others will comment soon, and we can get a workaround or fix. :)

winnernoend

Newcomer
I think it is a controller issue. I got the exact same crash when I left the game idle in the settings menu with my controller connected.

Baboobraz

Cowpoke
I have the same crash happen and am not using a controller. I do have other things plugged in though, like a drawing tablet, and am using bluetooth headphones. I have noticed a different glitch with the headphones, but am not sure if its related to the crash. I actually have the game not responding in the background right now. If anyone finds a fix for this, let me know please!

hybby

Greenhorn
i noticed a similar crash on pc when using my bluetooth headphones, then pausing and going away for 10-15 mins.

since i switched to wired headphones i've had no issues, even with hour long pauses.

dwuff

Greenhorn
I am having the same issue. The game freezes completely and you cannot alt+tab away. The cursor doesn't move and alt+f4 also doesn't close the game. I am using bluetooth headsets and wireless keyboard and mouse on windows 10. I just lost my entire skull cavern run :cry: In fact, it seems to me like the game throws out all progress from the past few in-game days when this crash happens, not just the day you crashed on. Goodbye, Qi Beans..

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
If the game becomes non-responsive but does not crash, try using "alt+tab" to leave the game for another window and then "alt+tab" back to the game. This happens to me regularly if I'm paused for too long, and this is a workaround for me.

This doesn't help those crashing due to peripherals, I know, because they are two separate issues. For those without the crash, though, this may be the workaround you're looking for.

dwuff

Greenhorn
I just had the same crash happen when I turned off my bluetooth headset, without pausing the game, and without leaving for an extended period of time. It seems the deactivation of the headset might have been what caused it this time.

GabrielHM

Newcomer
Hello!
Just wanted to report in here that I've just passed through the exact same problem, and my game is completely crashed/frozen right now. Besides, I don't have anything plugged or connected to my laptop other than a mouse and an earphone. This is really frustrating.