Solved Game Freezing While Fishing and Mining

samantha._.san

Greenhorn
A problem I've been having since the last hotfix is that my game keeps crashing while I fish or while I'm mining. It usually happens between 9-11pm too, so it's not like it happens every time as I try to fish or mine.
It's don't think its a hardware issue since I play other games with no problems, (I think) all my mods are up to date, and I don't think there are any conflicts between anything I have installed because this is a recent issue that has come out of nowhere. I also don't really have any mods that affect fishing or mining so I don't really know what could be going on. When it freezes I cannot even alt-tab or get to task manager to force quit, I just have to restart my pc.

It might be worth noting that I am playing with a controller and whenever my game freezes up, it's always been in the middle of an action and my controller keeps vibrating even once my PC is already restarting... Is there a chance my problem is a controller bug?

Here's my most recent SMAPI log

Can anyone help me rule out what is causing the problem or please give me some advice? I really don't want to lose this save file, it's the furthest I've gotten in the game but I can't play in-game for more than a day or so at the moment... I'm thinking about manually reinstalling all my mods, and removing a few that I hardly use, to get rid of some of the strain but I don't want to do that yet if its not the actual issue.

Thanks in advance to anyone who tries to help me out.

EDIT: I kept an eye on my stats while playing and there is definitely an issue with my CPU spiking. I ran a hardware test and everything seems fine. I reseated my CPU and the problem is persisting but only with stardew valley. :sweat:
The spikes happen when fishing and mining. It's not once a fish bites, its always as I reel it in. Its never as I hit a rock, its always once the items come into my inventory. It also spikes (to a lesser degree) when foraging or fighting monsters. Is it possible that a mod like this coupled with my hoarding tendencies could be causing a memory issue in my game?

Last edited:
What is your processor, because the game could be putting too much load on your computer trying to figure out what fish you can catch, and what fish you will catch

Also forgot to mention, Your SMAPI Log looks absolutely fine, other than the fact that you can update a mod (Fancy Lamps), there are no errors and no warnings

samantha._.san

Greenhorn
What is your processor, because the game could be putting too much load on your computer trying to figure out what fish you can catch, and what fish you will catch
I have an Intel i5-6500.

I've been at it all day and reloaded a bunch of my mods just to be safe. I removed a few that I didn't really like and my game was fine while I was mining for three days straight (which almost convinced me that I has fixed the problem). Then I tried fishing again and when I was three fish in - my game froze and pc had to be restarted :sweat:

Still no errors on my SMAPI Log. Not really sure what else to look at to try and get this fixed...

Do you think taking strain off my processor could help? In other words, should I be removing some more unnecessary mods?

Otherwise do you think the controller a possible cause of the issue as well? If I look at event viewer I'm getting BTHUSB and HidBTH warnings and errors in the time I am using Stardew Valley. The only thing that connects back to is my controller.

Sorry if this is all over the place :sweat:

That's a pretty okay processor to run non-intensive games like SDV, um... are you running any other app than SDV, like Chrome, or Discord? Those two apps are pretty memory intensive, and the small memory space available could lag the game? With the mods you have, they shouldn't be overloading the processor.

samantha._.san

Greenhorn
That's a pretty okay processor to run non-intensive games like SDV, um... are you running any other app than SDV, like Chrome, or Discord? Those two apps are pretty memory intensive, and the small memory space available could lag the game? With the mods you have, they shouldn't be overloading the processor.
The only other thing running at the same time as Stardew Valley is Steam, but nothing else :/

hm... well the only other thing I can think of, is that the game is just failing to load the current frame, so it stutters and freezes, and when it freezes, it somehow takes down part of the kernel (the part os an OS that handles everything) If it makes the game unplayable everytime you play, then you can contact SDV support here

samantha._.san

Greenhorn
hm... well the only other thing I can think of, is that the game is just failing to load the current frame, so it stutters and freezes, and when it freezes, it somehow takes down part of the kernel (the part os an OS that handles everything) If it makes the game unplayable everytime you play, then you can contact SDV support here
Well... It was a hardware issue after all. Yesterday morning my power supply gave out, its been replaced and my stardew valley is running perfectly. Whatever my PSU was doing on its way out must've been affecting my game. Thanks for trying to help! :smile: