Solved Game Crashes When Loading Save Game

MaraStara*

Greenhorn
Hi! I absolutely love playing my Stardew Valley game but I can't play at all anymore. I have been having this issue since last year and I have not been able to fix it for the life of me. The game home screen loads and my save file options come up, after I click on my save game, the entire game crashes when loading the save (see what I pasted below). It seems like there is an issue with a "MarlonFay" file and I am not sure what else. I have tried playing as Admin, playing with all mods out, disabling and redownloading SWAPI, restarting the computer and steam, starting a new save which does work but then my save I want to play still does not work, etc. but I cannot figure out how to fix it and at this point I have no idea what I am doing. I contacted steam and the stardew contact e-mail for help but I got no response. I am so sad I may have to start a new game, which is the last thing I want to do :( . I have a bunch of mods that I really enjoy playing with so I would love to be able to keep playing a modded game. If anyone could help me fix this, I would be forever grateful. SOS someone please save me.

loadLocationsTask failed with an exception
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentLoadException: The content file was not found.
---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file '/Users/maradempsey/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Stardew Valley/Contents/Resources/Content/Characters/MarlonFay.xnb'.
File name: '/Users/maradempsey/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Stardew Valley/Contents/Resources/Content/Characters/MarlonFay.xnb'
at Interop.ThrowExceptionForIoErrno(ErrorInfo errorInfo, String path, Boolean isDirectory, Func`2 errorRewriter)
at Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeFileHandle.Open(String path, OpenFlags flags, Int32 mode)
at System.IO.FileStream.OpenHandle(FileMode mode, FileShare share, FileOptions options)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.TitleContainer.PlatformOpenStream(String safeName)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.TitleContainer.OpenStream(String name)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.OpenStream(String assetName)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset[T](String assetName, Action`1 recordDisposableObject)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.Load[T](String assetName)
at StardewValley.LocalizedContentManager.Load[T](String assetName, LanguageCode language)
at StardewValley.AnimatedSprite.loadTexture()
at StardewValley.NPC.reloadSprite()
at StardewValley.SaveGame.loadDataToLocations(List`1 gamelocations)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.<>c.<.cctor>b__277_0(Object obj)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunFromThreadPoolDispatchLoop(Thread threadPoolThread, ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunFromThreadPoolDispatchLoop(Thread threadPoolThread, ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(Task& currentTaskSlot, Thread threadPoolThread)
gameMode was 'loadingMode (6)', set to 'errorLogMode (11)'.
gameMode was 'errorLogMode (11)', set to 'playingGameMode (3)'.
Unhandled exception. Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentLoadException: The content file was not found.
---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file '/Users/maradempsey/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Stardew Valley/Contents/Resources/Content/Characters/MarlonFay.xnb'.
File name: '/Users/maradempsey/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Stardew Valley/Contents/Resources/Content/Characters/MarlonFay.xnb'
at Interop.ThrowExceptionForIoErrno(ErrorInfo errorInfo, String path, Boolean isDirectory, Func`2 errorRewriter)
at Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeFileHandle.Open(String path, OpenFlags flags, Int32 mode)
at System.IO.FileStream.OpenHandle(FileMode mode, FileShare share, FileOptions options)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.TitleContainer.PlatformOpenStream(String safeName)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.TitleContainer.OpenStream(String name)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at StardewValley.SaveGame.getLoadEnumerator(String file)+MoveNext()
at StardewValley.Game1.UpdateTitleScreen(GameTime time)
at StardewValley.Game1._update(GameTime gameTime)
at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime)
at StardewValley.GameRunner.Update(GameTime gameTime)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DoUpdate(GameTime gameTime)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.SdlGamePlatform.RunLoop()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run(GameRunBehavior runBehavior)
at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args)
Abort trap: 6
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.
[Process completed]

Thank you so much for your response! I attached my save file, I had to compress it into a zip file to attach it here.
No prob, and thanks for the save. I took a look, and deleted MarlonFay, and a MorrisTod also from SDV Expanded.
It seems to load okay now, but let me know if you come across any other issues.

Oh, and I recreated the other files for the save so I could test in-game. Just in case you're wondering why there's extra files.

Attachments

MaraStara*

Greenhorn
Thank you SO much! The game is working now which is the biggest relief THANK YOU!

But, my mods are not running at all now despite still being in my local game files in Steam. I tried getting rid of and redownloading SMAPI and restarting everything but the mods are no longer running.

MaraStara*

Greenhorn
Hi, thank you for sharing this information and again thanks a million for fixing my save!

I followed the instructions you sent for fixing the mods. But, on my mac when I go to (Finder>Go to Folder> ~/.config/StardewValley/ErrorLogs), no folder is found. There doesn't seem to be any SMAPI error log. I am not sure how to solve this issue.

Last edited:

MaraStara*

Greenhorn
Update: Using your fixed save file, I removed mods and redownloaded all updated versions of Mods (including all Stardew Expanded related mods), then verified the integrity of game files in Steam, then removed & reinstalled SMAPI, and restarted my computer. The game is working perfectly now with all mods working! Thank you so much @MysticTempest for helping to fix my game! You're the best!

Update: Using your fixed save file, I removed mods and redownloaded all updated versions of Mods (including all Stardew Expanded related mods), then verified the integrity of game files in Steam, then removed & reinstalled SMAPI, and restarted my computer. The game is working perfectly now with all mods working! Thank you so much @MysticTempest for helping to fix my game! You're the best!
Sorry, for the late reply. But, glad to see you got it working in the end; nice work!
And yea; no prob! ^-^

joshua15

Newcomer
Hey, I was wondering if you could help me out with the same issue that this person was having. Stardew loads fine and my save file is there but when i click on my save is loads for a second and then crashes.

Attachments

jforjerry

Newcomer
Hey, I was wondering if you could help me out with the same issue that this person was having. Stardew loads fine and my save file is there but when i click on my save is loads for a second and then crashes.
Hey im having this exact problem too, did you manage to fix it?

jforjerry

Newcomer
Please may you help with mine? I dont use mods, trying to host this co op game save. Stardew loads fine but when i click on the save game world it crashes.
Save is included in attachment, as well as the error log i found

Attachments

UlyanaLeyana

Planter
Please may you help with mine? I dont use mods, trying to host this co op game save. Stardew loads fine but when i click on the save game world it crashes.
We need the entire save folder, not just a single file.

You can try to undo the last save:

Hey, sorry; I'm not as active as I used to be. But, I just saw your PM.

UlyanaLeyana's links to find, and undo the last save are your best option.
As I took a look at the save you sent, and it's missing about 2/3 of the data.

Check, and rollback to the backup file per the instructions UlyanaLeyana sent:
FreyJs_327717244_old
If it's missing, or the rest of the save files are broken. I did splice it together with a new save; to make it load again. See attached file below.
But, it's imperfect.
Since stuff like museum pieces, and bundles were missing their data, and will have to be restarted from scratch.

If the instructions worked for you though; than you can safely ignore the attached file.

Attachments

superranger8

Greenhorn
hello i seem to be having the same problem with my files if there is anyway i could get my save files fixed that would be great im not sure if my save was modded or not but i think it was and i was pretty far in and would like to continue it so if you could help remove the things from my file that would be great

Attachments

hello i seem to be having the same problem with my files if there is anyway i could get my save files fixed that would be great im not sure if my save was modded or not but i think it was and i was pretty far in and would like to continue it so if you could help remove the things from my file that would be great
Hey, just saw your PM; no worries, it's not a bother.

Thanks for the save. So, I took a look, and you were previously using SDV Expanded on this save.
So, you can either re-add the mod, and continue on with SMAPI, and your current save.

Or, I did delete some of the modded data to get it to load/save in a vanilla SDV.
And, you can continue on in an unmodded, playthrough with this edited save.

Attachments

aleoblitas

Newcomer
Hello, I have had the same error in my world, you can enter the game but when I open my farm the game closes, I get the same error. Could you help me please?

Attachments

Hello, I have had the same error in my world, you can enter the game but when I open my farm the game closes, I get the same error. Could you help me please?
Howdy, it looks like your main save was missing half of its data.
Luckily, the backup was still intact; so I just rolled you back a day via these instructions: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Saves#Undo_the_last_save

It loads okay now on my end, but let me know if you have any other issues.

Attachments

aleoblitas

Newcomer
Howdy, it looks like your main save was missing half of its data.
Luckily, the backup was still intact; so I just rolled you back a day via these instructions: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Saves#Undo_the_last_save

It loads okay now on my end, but let me know if you have any other issues.
Wow, thank you very much. If my farm is recovered. Thank you MysticTempest for helping the community in these problems. Another question, what can be done to avoid these errors?
Thanks for everything, and forgive me for my English, I'm from LATAM.