FIX FISHING ITS TERRIBLE

Xristos

Tiller
being a console player, i think fishing is one of the best mechanics in the game. I mean you can find a Dinosaur Egg !!! you just have to get good at it, its a great source of income and treasure. Also, what platform do you play on? what do you not like about fishing?

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
Just saying it's terrible without explaining why isn't going to accomplish much. Perhaps when you give these reasons, they'll boil down to you just kinda sucking at it (sucking at something is the first step to getting good at something), and then with some advice from us you'll get better and start thinking it was never terrible.

Last edited:

Bananapaws

Sodbuster
It's like any real-life skill: you're going to be terrible at it when you first start off. I couldn't catch a fish to save my life. But if you stick with it you'll get better quickly. But I love fishing mini-games anyway, so that does make a difference. And it feels really good to go from calling sturgeon every name in the book to being able to land them with no problem. (Stingrays, I still plan on sending you used kitty litter for Christmas.)

Phate4569

Planter
I've put in a total of about 600 hours on the Switch console across 3 farms, 70 of them so far on version 1.5, and 250 of them after version 1.4.

I will admit there is a STEEP learning curve, and I quit fishing my first time because it was rough. Eventually I practiced and got better at tapping the button appropriately and mitigating the bottom bounce.

If I may pose a suggestion (for CA), maybe it would be better if Willy just gives the training rod first (Or you get it with your starting equipment), and then Willy gives you the Bamboo pole when you hit Level 2. As is new players won't really know the Training Rod exists until after they've already tried to fish (and likely become frustrated).

Johndeere756

Planter
It took me awhile to get decent at it. I almost gave up. I am now at level 10, and can catch most fish with no attachments. I was terrible at it at first though, lol.

chensley

Newcomer
I agree. it is terrible. I just spent 2 game days and landed no fish, how the F am I supposed to get better at it? The bar does not respond to the mouse button, tried 2 different mice. Too much of this game depends on catching fish and it just does not work.

chensley

Newcomer
day 3 of fishing, one fish only because the fish stayed on the bottom most of the time. Using the keyboard, and it still does not respond no matter how I tap, it is either at the bottom or the top , No F ing control.

I play on mobile, imo fishing is only terrible when you're a new player in a new game, when your character's fishing skill level is low, or you upgrade to medium to high quality fishing pole too soon (best to use the training rod at low levels), I will admit, when I started the game, I too hated fishing. I completely put it off because I disliked it so much. I didn’t realize that I could prioritize opening secret woods and fishing the "easy fish" there first (some barely move at all), to raise my character's fishing skill level and make fishing much easier first... also, shallow water = easier fish! After that it is just about putting in the time to get enough catches to continue raising skill levels up. So, if you're having a hard time fishing, prioritize access to easy fishing spots and fish until your skill level is higher. My biggest mistake was going to the beach lol, I couldn't catch anything there at first in open water, the shallow place between the two docs was easier though.

Link:
I actually enjoy fishing now... what Jondeere said is solid, higher skill levels are key. I even added a cheap Bluetooth controller ordered online, which was more enjoyable (for me personally I mean).

There are other things you can do also to increase your character's fishing skill, though it might take longer. The unfortunate answer seems to be, it was designed to be hard at the beginning (beginners are often bad at new skills until they spend time and practice, and I think it was designed to emulate this at low character skill levels). It was also designed with a level of thoughtfulness that is pretty surprising (shallowness of water, special spots for different fish, weather and season affecting the types of fish, rod, tackle and character skill level affecting things--that's darned thoughtful for a simple seeming game, so that told me some strategy is needed). Info about skill here might be helpful:

So for example that page mentions crab pots, or don't require catching fish (garbage, seaweed). Fishing is an exercise in patience and skill in real-life, and I think Concerned Ape did an excellent job of making it that way in the game... maybe too good lol. Some use super fast taps when reeling fish in, instead of long presses (because taps are more accurate), I found that neither worked for me, I had to do a mixture of fast taps, ever so slightly longer taps, and the occasional press. Without secret woods, it was mostly getting the level up first, with super easy fish in shallow water (just like in real life)! I couldn't catch anything at the ocean for the longest time (my hands aren't terrific), and ocean fish are likely the most difficult to catch at the outset in real life too! .

If you're starting there, that might be why you're frustrated? I made that mistake. I wasn't expecting the level of detail this game has for fishing. Now I too catch pretty much anything without any tackle (because skill level 10 and I developed a reeling strategy that works for me). Lots of folks play on PC with just keyboard and mouse and do fine. Maybe try the easier stuff mentioned, and maybe put the time in to get skill levels higher before trying to fish harder fish?

Last edited:

benjellyman

Planter
Yeah, fishing seems terrible, at first. But the more you do it man, the more it is easier to fish. When I was level one with bamboo rod, I struggled to catch red snappers. Now I'm like lvl 8 and catching a super cucumber is fine. So basically the more you fish, the better your dude can handle the fish

Or download aim bot for the blue bar thingy

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
Maybe that's what I need to do. I suck at fishing.
Dude, when I start a new save I always buy the training rod and use it until I've got my fishing skill to at least 4 before switching to another fishing rod. The training rod sets your bar size during the mini game to the size you would have with fishing level 5 no matter your actual skill level. This makes it a LOT easier to catch fish, even if they're cheaper fish that are worth less exp. If you can't catch anything with the bamboo rod, though, ANY exp is more than no exp.

Anhaga

Rancher
day 3 of fishing, one fish only because the fish stayed on the bottom most of the time. Using the keyboard, and it still does not respond no matter how I tap, it is either at the bottom or the top , No F ing control.
If you're not able to control the rod with the mouse or the keyboard, something may be going on with your hardware or your keybindings. Left-clicking is the way to control it with the mouse; is it supposed to be C with the keyboard, all? I don't use the keyboard much unless I'm being piled on by children while I play.

Swartzki

Tiller
Dude, when I start a new save I always buy the training rod and use it until I've got my fishing skill to at least 4 before switching to another fishing rod. The training rod sets your bar size during the mini game to the size you would have with fishing level 5 no matter your actual skill level. This makes it a LOT easier to catch fish, even if they're cheaper fish that are worth less exp. If you can't catch anything with the bamboo rod, though, ANY exp is more than no exp.
I will be getting the training rod tonight I think.

benjellyman

Planter
Dude. I'm like level 8 and I find fishing easy. When I was level 2, fishing was sooo stinking hard. Willy did say, if your new to fishing, try buying a training rod. this will help you out very much. guaranteed.

Pickles

Greenhorn
It is so hard at start, will try training rod and controller not keyboard. Makes sense to be hard at start I guess if it gets easy with time. good to know to keep going and not deep water didnt think of this. Thought I started with training rod but not I guess