Experienced Fighters—Help! (Spoilers Ahead!)

Miss Berry

Farmhand
Just when I think I’ve got this combat thing down, I’m getting kicked to the curb again. I just unlocked the Skull Caves and the mines on the island that Willy takes you to on his boat. I find the Skull Caves easier but even then I can barely make it to level 25, and the one on the island completely takes me out like my weapons and armor are nothing!

I wield a Level 10 sword (a red one) and a Master Slingshot, and for defense I have those purple space boots, the Thorn Ring, and that ring that will occasionally shield the wearer from harm.

Any tips or tricks for someone struggling with combat? I reeeeeally wanna explore the island but can’t get passed those flying flame monsters :(

Lew Zealand

Helper
For starters, get the Galaxy Sword. It's the highest level sword available from early to mid game. You get it by doing something special in a certain spot on the map but I don't want to spoiler it for you if you want to find it thru game mechanics.

If you are at Combat Level 9 or higher then there is a Ring which is highly recommended and many people just wear 2 of them as the effects stack and it's kind of an easy one-size-fits all. They aren't terrible to craft in terms of resources but you may need to grind a bit for them.

What are your intentions in Skull Cavern? If it's to get loot or to reach Level 100 for the Qi Quest, then just slapping down 100 Staircases to get to Level 100 (for the quest or to start Looting) is highly recommended. Wait for a high Luck day. Take a lot of Gold Cheez. Take some Spicy Eel for it's many benefits. Take Coffee for extra Speed or Ginger Ale for extra Luck, whatever you prefer (I like Ginger Ale as the Speed buff from Spicy Eel and Coffee together is a bit too much for me to control sometimes). Take Bombs for when you're done Staircasing down and start Bombing away! to gather resources and uncover Shafts (better) or Ladders. If you even glimpse a Flying Serpent, down a Cheez for Health.

And you can buy the following at the Desert Trader with Gems, duplicate them in Crystalariums to get loads:

Spicy Eel (Ruby)
Staircase (Jade)
Bomb (Quartz)

Happy Cows give you Large Milk to Cheez Press into Gold Cheez.

So. What about the Volcano and those flamey nuisances? First off, again Gold Cheez is your friend for restoring Health quickly. The Sword upgrade will also help, as will that Ring for more attack. Practicing your timing with those guys one at a time is good if you can approach them singly but I don't have great luck with that. Again, what are you in for Volcano for? Early on, I'm there for Dragon Teeth for Crafting Recipes so you don't need to go too deep in for that. Now, when you want to get to the final room, honestly I just run through the rooms, Bombing when I'm blocked. And hope for few of those button press rooms. Yuck I hate those but then Bombing and running (Spicy Eel and Coffee) are your friend with those rooms too, as well as a full Watering Can. Sometimes it's faster just to take the shortcut over the Lava than around it.

Last edited:

Ereo

Helper
The red sword you have is the lava katana?

The best sword in the game can't be bought. There are hints on how to get it on one of the grave stones. you need to take a prismatic shard in between the three pillars in the desert to get it. The best place to get a prismatic shard is the skull cavern.

I would start with the skull cavern. Have you made it to level 25? After that, you can find a secret note with a challenge - completing that will help you a bit. What is your combat level and which professions did you pick?

Defense is not as important as bringing plenty of food. I bring cheese because the heals a lot at once. Eat when you reach half health and check your health before going down to the next level.

You didn't mention food bonuses - I usually use triple shot expresso (3 or 4 per trip) and spicy eel (2 or 3).

Try to avoid combat. If you have a +2 speed bonus from the food mentioned above, you can outrun everything. None of the monsters can kill you in one shot if you have full health so don't forget to eat. Bring plenty of bombs and a couple of staircases to get you out of really sticky situations and long floors.

It is a matter of practice. I remember getting killed immediately the first time I entered skull cavern, but by now I can do it with just the obsidian blade.

nicodeux

Farmer
I bring cheese because the heals a lot at once. Eat when you reach half health and check your health before going down to the next level.
I second this. Cheese (especially gold or iridium quality one) is a very efficient way to recover health and energy and it is easy to bring lots of it. I even consider as a golden rule to stop and eat a cheese everytime my health is cut down to half. That helps preventing unpleasant surprises like several Magma Sprites or Serpents rushing you at the same time and sending you to Harvey's Clinic.

Like Ereo said, defense is not the most important stats in the game as no monster can one shot you. However several highly mobile ones can reduce your health to zero faster than you can eat to restore your health. Anticipation is the key: eat when you can, not when you need it.

I also recommend to have a mining setup in your inventory so you can quickly switch from one of the most useful items to another.

As an example, I always equip my weapon when going to SC or volcano and next to it are cheeses and pickaxe so I can eat/restore heal with a single swing of the mouse wheel, then back to the weapon, same idea for breaking with the pickaxe that single rock preventing me from escaping the monsters when needed, then back to the weapon to keep monsters at bay.
And next to the cheeses and pickaxe are coffees/expressos to move faster than monsters, and bombs that are more efficient than the pickaxe for mining if you are not overhelmed by monsters.
When digging deep in the Skull Cavern, I add Staircases and Spicy Eels next to the bombs and coffees/expressos.

As for what rings to wear, it depends on your playstyle and how confident you are in your combat skills. It also depends on if you have access to the Forge or not. But you can find at least one dedicated thread in this forum.

Hill Myna

Farmer
There are several factors that affect combat: Your weapon (surprise!), boots, rings, healing food, buffs, maximum health, and experience.

Weapon
The better your weapon is, the faster the enemy(s) is killed, the less chance you have of getting hurt. The others have covered it pretty well, all I would say is that while the next best sword is definitely nice to have, by no means is it required. The Lava Katana is already a formidable weapon.

Boots
Boots provide two benefits: Defense and Immunity. Defense reduces the amount of damage you take, and Immunity reduces the chance of being affected by a "debuff" (such as being slowed down by a Slime). Different boots have different values of each; the Space Boots are pretty solid with 4 for each. The only way to get boots better than this is in the Volcano Dungeon itself. Make sure to open the chests and you'll eventually get some snazzier sneakers.

Rings
Rings provide unique bonus effects that assist in not just combat, but other tasks too (such as a Glow Ring, which spreads light around the player 24/7). You have two ring spaces. My suggestion would be that you craft a Glowstone Ring (5 Iron Bars, 5 Solar Essence, recipe from Mining Level 4), which provides both the glowing effect AND the magnetism one (collect items from further away). This is incredibly useful; once you have one you can't go back!
For the other space, why, the answer is simple: another Glowstone Ring! The effects stack, and having two makes it that many more times convenient. There are other, more unique rings that you can get later in the game, but for now I wouldn't bother with them. You'll see why soon! ;)

Healing Food
The other three have both recommended Cheese (a great but rather expensive option), so I'll provide some alternatives in case you don't already have easy access to it.
Salads, which can be bought from the Saloon for 220G each, also heal a significant amount of health. The nicest thing about them is that they simply require money, which you can get any number of ways.
Sashimi doesn't heal quite the same amount as Cheese or Salads do, however it is significantly cheaper. I know that you have the kitchen (it's required for marriage), so all you'll need is 3 :heart:s with Linus for the recipe, and then you can turn any fish into Sashimi at a 1:1 ratio. I recommend using Mussels, Cockles, or Oysters, either from Crab Pots, or the Mussels Nodes that spawn along the south shore of Ginger Island West (the farm), as they are very cheap.

Buffs
Most cooked dishes provide you with one or more bonus effect(s), called "buffs"; these can be discovered in the tooltip of the dish. The most useful ones for combat are Speed and Defense. As @Ereo said, Speed is useful for outrunning enemies, but also for making faster progress through floors, and Defense has been covered already. Three useful dishes for mining/combat are Spicy Eel (+1 Speed, +1 Luck), Crab Cakes (+1 Speed, +1 Defense), and Pumpkin Soup (+2 Defense, +2 Luck). Make sure to stack some Coffee on top (drink-buffs do NOT overwrite active dish-buffs, unlike eating another dish) for an extra +1 Speed, preferably Triple Shot Espresso, as it lasts longer.

Maximum Health
The capacity of your health bar determines how much "wiggle room" you have before you must top up on health with healing food. This is determined by your Combat Level; you can view this in your Skills tab. The higher your Combat Level, the larger your health bar. To increase it even further, choose the Fighter profession at Level 5, and then Defender once you've reached Level 10. However I would recommend not taking this second step, as the increased attack damage of Brute is preferable IMO.

Experience
Obviously, with practice comes more experience. And with more experience, you'll be able to better predict which way monsters will move, time your swings with more precision, and know what a dangerous situation looks like before you're in the thick of it. I recommend spending as many free afternoons as you can in Skull Cavern, purposefully interacting with enemies instead of concentrating on gathering ores. You'll end up with a bunch of handy loot this way too!

–––––

I also have some useful tips specific to Skull Cavern & the Volcano Dungeon.

Skull Cavern
Skull Cavern is the best place to find the valuable Iridium Ore. It spawn in nodes like other ores, but can also be dropped by the Purple Slimes and some other monsters that start to spawn as you go deeper. It is needed for the final tier of tools; you'll have to bring 5 bars and 25,000G to the Blacksmith in order to upgrade. It's incredibly useful on the Pickaxe, as it lets you one-shot the rocks in SC, and brings the rocks in the Volcano Dungeon down to 2 hits; make sure to use your first few bars on this. It is also needed for other lategame recipes, but I won't get into those here.
The deeper that you get, the more Iridium that spawns. However, unlike the normal Mines, there is no Elevator. This is why uncovering ladders is a priority in the early stages of a SC "run", and also why it's best to dedicate full days to your runs if possible. Make sure to only go on positive luck days, or else the lack of ladders can quickly become frustrating. Watch out for shafts, these will let you skip several floors in one go.
Once you're more comfortable with SC, you might want to consider checking out the Skull Cavern guide that I made! It covers every aspect of Skull Cavern (preparation, strategy, and mechanics) in depth. But be warned, there are major spoilers in it, and it's also a little bit long. Y'know, only 11k words or so. ;D

Volcano Dungeon
Like Lew said, just run run run! The Volcano only has ten floors, and there's a fun surprise at the top. Once you've made the trip once, you won't need to do it again, but there is still valuable loot to find within it. Press every button that you see, ignore the Magma Slimes, and you'll do fine. Just make sure to pick up all of the forageables, as they're really useful later! You'll also probably need to dedicate a full day to it the first time. Experience makes a massive difference, so don't worry if you're not making much progress at the start.
But DO worry about making it back home in time, unless you're happy to lose 2.5k G every time! Because there's no ladders, you'll either have to run all the way back to the start, or use the purchasable escape chute at floor 5.

Mining is really fun once you get the hang of it! Sorry if this a little overwhelming, but I hope my 1200 words help make a difference!

Have fun! :)

Ilune

Planter
If Slimes hit you hard in skull cavern and volcano, go in the firsts 20 levels of mines, kill A TON of them (1000) and equip the nicest of all rings: the slime charmer Ring! Now you can laught in front of a mob of purple slimes while you kill them for iridium (or ignore them and focus on that flying snakes).
I usually do some runs in the skull cavern with slime charmer ring + burglar ring (double drop from monsters) to earn enought iridium.
At the top of the Vulcan, you can merge 2 rings in one, so I recomend burglar+slime charmer and iridium band (you can craft it) + lucky ring or whatever you like

chaskuchar

Sodbuster
i'm confused on the rings. i have the iridium ring. does the glowstone part of this ring match the single glowstone ring? and the second part is the ruby ring. i don't know which second ring is best. maybe the napalm? i do have another glowstone ring in my ring list in the clothes cabinet.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
Iridium band is equivalent to a glowstone ring plus a ruby ring. If you can make one, use it instead of a glowstone.

Here is a tip from someone who is BAD at combat:

Get speed boosts (triple shot espresso - at least 2, maybe 3 - and spicy eel - one should do) and a large (50+) stack of food for healing (I like gold cheese). Then make a run for it through the Volcano Dungeon to get to level 10. That gets you a prismatic shard so you can get galaxy weapons. On this trip, make getting through a priority over fighting - I vote to pick up any purple teeth you see on the ground, but don't bother fighting back. Just eat and run.

Last edited:

chaskuchar

Sodbuster
sheesh, i have make it to level ten in scull cavern. trying to make level 25 per request. i just ran out of time. will try for the coffee buff. hope that speeds me up.

Everything everyone says here is good advice. You want the best weapons, boots, rings, buffs (especially luck & speed) and food you can get. Bombs and plenty of staircases help a lot.
I like the slingshot and use it a lot while mining. I use exploding ammo or iridium ore. It's not great for flying enemies, but I find it extremely valuable for getting rid of the monsters that shoot damage, and also those huge slimes. I had to practice a lot to get the slingshot reliable. For practice sessions I used salmonberries or wood in the secret forest or levels 1-20 in the regular mine.
Also, most people use gold quality cheese for food, but that's never been my go-to. There are several food items that provide big health/energy. Iridium crystal fruit is one of my favorites, and I've also used melon, purple mushrooms, fruit salad, etc. I currently have 500+ iridium blackberries and they aren't great food, but I have lots, and they were free.

nicodeux

Farmer
I, like others, recommended cheese as healing food because it is very efficient and once you have a steady income of money, you no longer need to sell your cheeses. Thus, you can stock pile them and soon have a good stack of cheese for mining purpose.

Yet, there are indeed many valid alternatives to cheese: salad, crystal fruit, cactus fruit, berries...

Ereo

Helper
sheesh, i have make it to level ten in scull cavern. trying to make level 25 per request. i just ran out of time. will try for the coffee buff. hope that speeds me up.
If you run out of time while trying to get to level 25, I would suggest to start earlier.
Next time you're in the desert, buy some warp totems. Put them in a chest next to the TV. Also put anything else you want to take (food with buffs, healing food, espresso, bombs, staircases....). Check the TV as soon as you wake up. When it's a very lucky day, throw everything else from your inventory in the chest, take out the skull cavern things and use a warp totem. Your farm can wait a day.

Hill Myna

Farmer
I also recommend to have a mining setup in your inventory so you can quickly switch from one of the most useful items to another.
Yes, yes, and more yes! This is crucial.You don’t want to have to waste any time and/or concentration on making sure that you’ve selected the right tool. Instead it should be: when I need to mine a rock, I scroll across one; when I need to escape, it’s three steps right. Make sure you’re familiar with your setup, and once you’ve found a system that works for you, you stay with it. That way you’ll KNOW which tool you have selected, instead of looking down at your hotbar to find out.
Also, most people use gold quality cheese for food, but that's never been my go-to.
I tried to use it a while ago, and I found out that it actually gives me too much health. I don’t want to waste it, so I wait until I’m at 30%. This makes it disadvantageous IMO. I’d rather have eat twice at 50% than once at 30%, as it keeps me at a steadier amount of “backup health”.

But for someone who is struggling with combat, I can see the massive boost that it provides being lifesaving.

VampireCake

Rancher
My go-to setup before I get any *later game spoilery things* is the best sword already mentioned, space boots, iridium band & slime charmer ring (unless you want to kill them for drops you can just completely ignore the slimes with it) or burglar's ring.

Food: coffee/triple shot espresso for +1 speed, and either spicy eel (+1 speed and +1 luck) or crab cakes (+1 speed and +1 defence) for buffs, plus a big stack of easier-to-acquire non-buff food to keep health up. Early on I'll put down a bunch of crab pots and make sashimi, later on when there's a bit of money coming in I'll buy pizza from Gus. Whatever food you go for, eat often.

(Anyone else get so used to +2 speed anything less feels way too slow? :laugh:)

MogBeoulve

Farmer
I tried to use it a while ago, and I found out that it actually gives me too much health. I don’t want to waste it, so I wait until I’m at 30%. This makes it disadvantageous IMO. I’d rather have to eat twice at 50% than once at 30%, as it keeps me at a steadier amount of “backup health”.
Dang, you're brave. If my bar drops 25%, I'm stuffing my face. When I try and wait until I hit 50%, I get wiped.

Hill Myna

Farmer
Anyone else get so used to +2 speed anything less feels way too slow? :laugh:)
💯 yes! This is too true. :D
Dang, you're brave. If my bar drops 25%, I'm stuffing my face. When I try and wait until I hit 50%, I get wiped.
With a controller, it's really easy to swap over one slot in order to jam some more food down my farmer's gob; maybe it's different on the platform you play on. This means that as soon as my health dips into that scary last 20%, I can instantly top up – midway through a fight if necessary.

Miss Berry

Farmhand
Serendipity, the same day you said that, I stumbled across a prismatic shard in SC (Only my second one in the game file!) I am absolutely LOVING my Galaxy sword and managed to reach 36 in SC before I had to tap out (still haven’t yet braved Volcano Mine again 😂)

For both SC and the Volcanic Mines, the goal is only completion. I wanna know what’s at the end, what awards await, what stories to unfold, all that jazz!

And I am currently at a level 9 for my combat. Hoping to hit 10 soon!

Miss Berry

Farmhand
The red sword you have is the lava katana?

The best sword in the game can't be bought. There are hints on how to get it on one of the grave stones. you need to take a prismatic shard in between the three pillars in the desert to get it. The best place to get a prismatic shard is the skull cavern.

I would start with the skull cavern. Have you made it to level 25? After that, you can find a secret note with a challenge - completing that will help you a bit. What is your combat level and which professions did you pick?

Defense is not as important as bringing plenty of food. I bring cheese because the heals a lot at once. Eat when you reach half health and check your health before going down to the next level.

You didn't mention food bonuses - I usually use triple shot expresso (3 or 4 per trip) and spicy eel (2 or 3).

Try to avoid combat. If you have a +2 speed bonus from the food mentioned above, you can outrun everything. None of the monsters can kill you in one shot if you have full health so don't forget to eat. Bring plenty of bombs and a couple of staircases to get you out of really sticky situations and long floors.

It is a matter of practice. I remember getting killed immediately the first time I entered skull cavern, but by now I can do it with just the obsidian blade.
Thank you! I’ve been stocking up on coffee but I didn’t think about buffs from meals like spicy eels.

I am currently level 9 combat and I chose the Scout profession but I think I’m going to change that after all the advice.

And the cheese will come in handy! I love my goats and cows and I have a cellar, so getting iridium cheese should be a breeze. Before I was only selling them

Miss Berry

Farmhand
I second this. Cheese (especially gold or iridium quality one) is a very efficient way to recover health and energy and it is easy to bring lots of it. I even consider as a golden rule to stop and eat a cheese everytime my health is cut down to half. That helps preventing unpleasant surprises like several Magma Sprites or Serpents rushing you at the same time and sending you to Harvey's Clinic.

Like Ereo said, defense is not the most important stats in the game as no monster can one shot you. However several highly mobile ones can reduce your health to zero faster than you can eat to restore your health. Anticipation is the key: eat when you can, not when you need it.

As an example, I always equip my weapon when going to SC or volcano and next to it are cheeses and pickaxe so I can eat/restore heal with a single swing of the mouse wheel, then back to the weapon, same idea for breaking with the pickaxe that single rock preventing me from escaping the monsters when needed, then back to the weapon to keep monsters at bay.
And next to the cheeses and pickaxe are coffees/expressos to move faster than monsters, and bombs that are more efficient than the pickaxe for mining if you are not overhelmed by monsters.
When digging deep in the Skull Cavern, I add Staircases and Spicy Eels next to the bombs and coffees/expressos.

As for what rings to wear, it depends on your playstyle and how confident you are in your combat skills. It also depends on if you have access to the Forge or not. But you can find at least one dedicated thread in this forum.
Thank you!! That should help a lot. Before I was waiting until I was in the red before I ate anything. I wanted to make the most of what I ate, but I’m starting to learn that the mines can turn on you out of the blue. One minute I’m perfectly fine and the next I’m in a swarm of those flying green serpents