Doing stupid things

Miretar

Planter
What's the last stupid thing you did while playing? Or something you do without fail?

For me, it's about giving Marnie money for chickens when I have a perfectly good incubator in my deluxe coop. I seem to do this every playthrough without fail. 😭

Then there's trying to walk through a doorway while holding a food item that is important/took forever to get. Also, without fail, I click "yes" when asked if I'd like to eat it. Sure, why not. Even though I've got three refrigerators full of food, I'll eat this Legendary Fish. 😭😭

Also, and I had to learn this one the hard way. Putting hard to acquire fish in the fridge right next to the chub. Then totally forgetting about it and whipping up several plates of sushi and immediately going to bed. 😭😭😭

Miretar

Planter
Hands down, accidentally setting off a black bomb inside the house. I then compounded the error by not realizing that I could go back a save and undo the error.

Tinks

Planter
I've accidently put the better weapon in the shipping bin or rubbish bin I think or lost it in the mine but can't get into adventurers guild as haven't killed enough things ..... zapping my energy really fast when they make me turn green and the few fruits I pick up along the way don't give much (no kitchen on the beach farm yet).

There's a panning area at the bottom of the beach but can't access panning for ages yet seems there's no way to get the copper pot other than from Willy after the sparking boulder has removed (via jumino's this is all fishing and I can't get the timing right to fish).

Managed to get 3 crab pots but can't get bait until later, the game gets very frustrating fast and reading about the harder levels feels totally overwhelming and I know I'm never gonna get 100% completion in this game.

I wish there was an easy setting for beginners where things unlock easier or can be bought earlier in the game. It feels harder than the old skool SNES games even though it looks like one graphically.

I was hoping it would be more open world so you can do anything in any order you want or avoid parts completely with no impact on whether you can get what you need.

hexnessie

Farmer
Try swinging your scythe at the green slimes, it works as good as the rusty old sword you get for free!

You can buy bait very cheaply from Willy - and each time you use it in a crab pot you are earning fishing XP without having to actually fish.

Tinks

Planter
Try swinging your scythe at the green slimes, it works as good as the rusty old sword you get for free!

You can buy bait very cheaply from Willy - and each time you use it in a crab pot you are earning fishing XP without having to actually fish.
There's none in the shop think you have to reach a certain level and I haven't even managed to get the timing with the training rod to catch a single fish yet. Thought crab pots maybe easier but can't get bait until reach a certain level. Can't find any accessibility settings and the game was listed on "autistica' website as accessible!

I almost never skip festivals. Even in Y3 / Y4 +, I'll show up just because I like them and to further the roleplay element of whatever character I've got. I figure 'I've been to the Flower Dance plenty of times. It's a super lucky day and I have a Bunch of things I want to do, why waste the day? It'll be fine to skip this one festival this one time.'

1643109510438.png

Whoops.

Ereo

Helper
There's none in the shop think you have to reach a certain level and I haven't even managed to get the timing with the training rod to catch a single fish yet. Thought crab pots maybe easier but can't get bait until reach a certain level. Can't find any accessibility settings and the game was listed on "autistica' website as accessible!
If you are friends with Linus, he'll give you a recipe for bait at 4 hearts. Fishing is difficult for most people (just take a look at the number of "help I can't catch anything" posts here or on Reddit) in the beginning.
Do you have trouble with the timing to open the Minigame (are you fast enough when the exclamation mark appears) or do you have trouble keeping the green bar on the fish?

If it's the second, I suggest using the training rod at the mountain lake or the ocean and not move the bar at all. There are some fish that you can still catch that way even if some escape.

There are a couple of autistic players on the forum, but just like neurotypical people, every autistic person is different and you might have different problems with the game than someone else.

Looking at your posts I think you expected a different game. It might be easier for you to play on PC and install mods than continue on switch.

Bbirdo

Cowpoke
I once got a pepper for the saloon and was holding it as soon as I hit A to enter the saloon somebody left so I gave them the pepper

Tinks

Planter
If you are friends with Linus, he'll give you a recipe for bait at 4 hearts. Fishing is difficult for most people (just take a look at the number of "help I can't catch anything" posts here or on Reddit) in the beginning.
Do you have trouble with the timing to open the Minigame (are you fast enough when the exclamation mark appears) or do you have trouble keeping the green bar on the fish?

If it's the second, I suggest using the training rod at the mountain lake or the ocean and not move the bar at all. There are some fish that you can still catch that way even if some escape.

There are a couple of autistic players on the forum, but just like neurotypical people, every autistic person is different and you might have different problems with the game than someone else.

Looking at your posts I think you expected a different game. It might be easier for you to play on PC and install mods than continue on switch.
yes I have dyspraxia too (mild co-ordination issues) and some advance planning issues...so doing things the right way round to get the best results have been challenging.

I don't have a PC unfortunately, family bought me the switch OLED for xmas. I can open the mini game fine but struggle with keeping the green on the fish. I've played other fishing games successfully with simpler mechanics (ie just hit A when it rumbles) but this one seems unnecessarily complicated.

Most games now offer alternative accessibility options for controls but it is mentioned on a site for accessible video games as 'accessible'.

Given how difficult it seems to be for people without motor challenges too I'm surprised that you can't get bait for crab pots easier earlier on for people who struggle with the controls for fishing but still want to be able to catch fish from the beginning and level up.

I do like seeing 'Kenny and Penny 'hug and wish you could live with someone in a platonic way but still get the hug. I will at least upgrade their house and get the kids and finish that farm. I've managed to complete the JoJo's warehouse on that file too but didn't get the 3 crab pots first from community centre in that game.

Ereo

Helper
A couple of tips to get up fishing without actually fishing:

- fish at the ocean with the training rod without moving the green bar until you get to level 2 (I think mountain lake should also work)
- at level 2, you can get bait for the crab pots
- build some fish ponds and fill them with things you find on the beach, or fish you caught without moving the bar, or from crab pots. You get XP for harvesting their products and also for fulfilling their quests.

hexnessie

Farmer
yes I have dyspraxia too
Hey, me too! I've been diagnosed with ASD very late in life and it explained so much about my clumsiness and general weirdness :) My main problem in Stardew Valley, initially at least, were all the social interactions. I very nearly quit playing because everyone in town hated me and I didn't know how to fix that!

Fishing will get much easier, even with motor skill problems, believe me.

Anyway, if you only want to level up to Fishing level 2 to get the bait recipe, stay on your own farm, and constantly fish in the pond there. On the standard farm, you will only catch trash -- which always gives 3XP, not too shabby at the early levels. On the forest farm, you will sometimes hook fish, but just let them escape if you don't want to spend time trying to get them and focus on trash.

Also, back to the actual topic of the thread -- stupid things I did at first playthrough --> I THREW AWAY ALL THE TRASH. All the massively valuable, useful trash that can be turned to much-needed resources. Ugh, I wanted to kick myself when I realized.

Tinks

Planter
Hey, me too! I've been diagnosed with ASD very late in life and it explained so much about my clumsiness and general weirdness :) My main problem in Stardew Valley, initially at least, were all the social interactions. I very nearly quit playing because everyone in town hated me and I didn't know how to fix that!

Fishing will get much easier, even with motor skill problems, believe me.

Anyway, if you only want to level up to Fishing level 2 to get the bait recipe, stay on your own farm, and constantly fish in the pond there. On the standard farm, you will only catch trash -- which always gives 3XP, not too shabby at the early levels. On the forest farm, you will sometimes hook fish, but just let them escape if you don't want to spend time trying to get them and focus on trash.

Also, back to the actual topic of the thread -- stupid things I did at first playthrough --> I THREW AWAY ALL THE TRASH. All the massively valuable, useful trash that can be turned to much-needed resources. Ugh, I wanted to kick myself when I realized.
Hi! ...One farm is 4corners and other is beach farm at the minute. I'm not well organised the Forest Farm had animals and not enough feed and beach farm has overgrown so much (only in first summer!) I've filled 2 silo's and only got 2 baby cows so far!

I was trying to save one of everything to see what jumino's quests I can do for useful items (like the crab pot one) instead of selling them, but I don't like the mine...prefer the Quarry which I've unlocked on 4 corners farm. Haven't had enough money to upgrade tools on beach farm.

I haven't really interacted with the villagers except for Penny in one game where it was the aim for my character 'Kenny' to marry her.

Problem I'm having once I read a quest I can't get back to it if I get what they want it just says I don't have any mail when I try to go back to find it and accept it.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Hi! ...One farm is 4corners and other is beach farm at the minute. I'm not well organised the Forest Farm had animals and not enough feed and beach farm has overgrown so much (only in first summer!) I've filled 2 silo's and only got 2 baby cows so far!
OK just as a frame of reference, in my current playthrough I didn't have any Silos in Summer and no Barn yet (so no Cows), so you're well ahead of me in that regard. And IMO a very overgrown Beach Farm is the ultimate success. Nature is to be respected and some of this is simply not bending its natural forces of chaos spread to the will of the Farmer. Other notable side benefits of this are that days seem too long and you won't run out of Energy.

I was trying to save one of everything to see what jumino's quests I can do for useful items (like the crab pot one) instead of selling them, but I don't like the mine...prefer the Quarry which I've unlocked on 4 corners farm. Haven't had enough money to upgrade tools on beach farm.

I haven't really interacted with the villagers except for Penny in one game where it was the aim for my character 'Kenny' to marry her.

Problem I'm having once I read a quest I can't get back to it if I get what they want it just says I don't have any mail when I try to go back to find it and accept it.
You should be able to review what your quests are in the ! at the upper right of your screen, but I don't remember what system you play on. Perhaps that indication is placed in a different spot on the screen on non-PCs, but it should be available. I use it all the time as I have no hope of remembering what I'm tasked to do beyond: grow Parsnip.

I got that one down!

Hill Myna

Farmer
You should be able to review what your quests are in the ! at the upper right of your screen, but I don't remember what system you play on. Perhaps that indication is placed in a different spot on the screen on non-PCs, but it should be available.
@Tinks plays on Switch. So, the - button (at the top of the left Joy-Con) should bring up your journal. That's also where you can claim your rewards for finishing quests; if you've never checked it before, then expect a fair few thousand G coming your way.

I don't like the mine...prefer the Quarry which I've unlocked on 4 corners farm.
If you finish all the Pantry (Foraging) Bundles in the Community Center, you'll unlock a Quarry several times larger than the one on your farm. It will be to the right of the Adventurers' Guild, across the bridge (that was previously broken). That might be useful!

Regarding fishing, certain dishes will increase your bar size! Willy sells Trout Soup (+1 Fishing, 4m 39s duration, 250G), if you've reached the 14th of Winter, Year 2 then you'll have the recipe for Lobster Bisque (+3 Fishing, all day, 1 Lobster, 1 Milk, my favourite fishing dish). The other good ones are all unlocked at certain heart levels with Willy or at certain Fishing Skill Levels. There is a complete list on the Wiki.

Finally, can I recommend you start one thread and put all your questions there? I think that will make it much easier to follow what's happening, so it will be easier to help! Such as if I can't remember how far you're up to, I can just scroll up to the last time you mentioned it; and all the tips people have shared will all be in one place.

Hope this helps!

Elenna101

Farmer
Try just casting the training rod into the water and not moving the bar at all, maybe? @Tom tested this once and apparently you can get some fish this way, which might get you to level 2 for bait eventually. Plus trash gives 3xp and takes no effort to catch. This will probably work less well in summer than in spring as there are some harder fish now, but it might still help.

Alternatively, if you befriend Linus he'll give you a bait recipe eventually.

Tom

Farmer
@Tom tested this once and apparently you can get some fish this way, which might get you to level 2 for bait eventually.
Yeah. Not playing the minigame at all. I confirmed the tests recently in a Youtube video, and you can very often make Fishing level 2 in one day with the Training Rod that way. In any case you would be at Fishing level 2 early on your second day doing that. Here are the videos:

1. A little trick to practice fishing stress free (video).
2. Test of not playing the minigame (video).
3. My earlier test of not playing the minigame all day long (text logs at forum).

Last edited:

Tinks

Planter
@Tinks plays on Switch. So, the - button (at the top of the left Joy-Con) should bring up your journal. That's also where you can claim your rewards for finishing quests; if you've never checked it before, then expect a fair few thousand G coming your way.

If you finish all the Pantry (Foraging) Bundles in the Community Center, you'll unlock a Quarry several times larger than the one on your farm. It will be to the right of the Adventurers' Guild, across the bridge (that was previously broken). That might be useful!

Regarding fishing, certain dishes will increase your bar size! Willy sells Trout Soup (+1 Fishing, 4m 39s duration, 250G), if you've reached the 14th of Winter, Year 2 then you'll have the recipe for Lobster Bisque (+3 Fishing, all day, 1 Lobster, 1 Milk, my favourite fishing dish). The other good ones are all unlocked at certain heart levels with Willy or at certain Fishing Skill Levels. There is a complete list on the Wiki.

Finally, can I recommend you start one thread and put all your questions there? I think that will make it much easier to follow what's happening, so it will be easier to help! Such as if I can't remember how far you're up to, I can just scroll up to the last time you mentioned it; and all the tips people have shared will all be in one place.

Hope this helps!

Sorry my brain is very disorganised ...in all aspects of life! Flit from one thing to next then back again! :laugh: