Crab Pot Question (Not Important)

StardewGazer

Greenhorn
Did anyone else level up their fishing level just to make crab traps for Elliot? Is it worth upgrading my fishing skill up more? Also, do I NEED to buy a better fishing rod, or can I just use the one Willy gave me when I first met him?

JojaApollo

Greenhorn
Fishing is completely based on your skill level when it comes to what you can catch. All rod upgrades do is allow you to use bait (which is very useful) and then allow you to use bobbers, which really do help with the more difficult fish since it gives you the little extra advantage you might need.

You can stick with the original rod for the entire game if you dont mind about slower hook rates (from no bait) and dont need the bobbers assistance. I'd wait until you have all the other early game stuff sorted first.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
You can also get the recipe for wild bait from Linus and use that to bait crab pots that you get as a reward from the crab pot bundle, which you can fill with beach forage plus a crab dropped from the rock crabs in the mines. Once you hit fishing level 2 using those pots, I think that is the point where Willy begins selling regular bait (and/or you get the regular bait recipe, which is less wasteful).

Ereo

Helper
Instead of sticking with the first fishing rod he gives, I recommend you buy the training rod. It's only 25 G and it makes fishing much easier. It sets the bar to level 5, so don't use it above that level. I usually don't buy the rod where you can attach bait, but wait for the iridium rod where you can attach bait and tackle.

Elenna101

Farmer
Agreed on the training rod, especially if you're still below level 2 or so.

I personally highly recommend buying the fiberglass rod if you do any fishing at all, doubling the bite rate pays for itself pretty quickly and fishing is a great source of early game money.

StardewGazer

Greenhorn
I'm level four right now, I just unlocked the recycling machine. Will I be able to catch all the fish I need for the aquarium bundle?

Elenna101

Farmer
I'm level four right now, I just unlocked the recycling machine. Will I be able to catch all the fish I need for the aquarium bundle?
Just depends on how good you are at fishing, really - it's certainly possible to catch all the required fish at even level 2 or 3, but as your level goes up the green bar will get bigger which makes it much easier to catch things.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Instead of sticking with the first fishing rod he gives, I recommend you buy the training rod. It's only 25 G and it makes fishing much easier. It sets the bar to level 5, so don't use it above that level. I usually don't buy the rod where you can attach bait, but wait for the iridium rod where you can attach bait and tackle.
Do note the fish are worse with this rod and therefore you level up fishing slower proportional to fish caught