Can I make SDV merch?

Hi everyone,

I want to make SDV merch (stickers) and sell them on Etsy. Do I need permission or something else to do this?

I would not be using the actual portraits or digital art from the game, I would draw it myself.

Thanks.

MissDandy

Farmer
If it's your own art you don't have anything to worry about.
Is this the same for trying to sell your own Stardew Valley fan art anywhere? I sell my art on Redbubble, would I be allowed to sell it on there if it's my own art?

I mean, these kinda questions come up often enough that maybe something should be stickied? But at the same time idk how much ape wants to encourage things. @Odin
I agree here. These are great questions and there should be a thread stickied with some Q&A to help those that want to put their own art out there while paying homage to such a great game and it's creator.

@Odin @imnvs , would either of you fine mods care to weigh in on what could be discussed with this?

Ticklebutt

Greenhorn
Hi everyone,

I want to make SDV merch (stickers) and sell them on Etsy. Do I need permission or something else to do this?

I would not be using the actual portraits or digital art from the game, I would draw it myself.

Thanks.
This is what I found online, but when it comes to fan art, I always avoid it.
In my experience, this is something that kinda lead to trouble (and I have had some trouble with it a long time ago on spreadshirt).
I also had a class on it a long time ago too, and the thing I remember my teacher telling me is that you can't do it. :dizzy:

selling fan art ok or not.jpg

HAC

Newcomer
hello mods & good ape!

I am interested in making my own fan art/merch and sell online..
i would like to take license/permission and then proceed..
please let me know what to do?

rielakiru

Newcomer
Hi, I saw this discussion and it was clear that it's pretty much okay to sell SDV fan merch..

I can't draw but I want to crochet the portrait of the SDV characters, and I'll be using the official portrait/sprite in game.
Is it okay to do that? Since I'm still making something by my own, but the portrait from the game is my pattern.

Last edited: