PC [BUG] Ultrawide resolution & UI Scale/Zoom Level Display Issue

cleantowels

Farmhand
Problem:
When SDV (either GOG or Steam versions) on the current 1.5.x version is run at a resolution of 3440x1440p (21:9) ultrawide resolution (and possibly higher) (in either fullscreen/windowed/window borderless) and the game's UI scaling option and/or zoom level scale is below 85% and set at either 80/75%; the screen will begin to cut off / not render properly on the right side of the game window. It does this by either a gradually increasing blacked-out area that is not viewable, or a clearly visible 'brighter' shaded area (where the in-game mouse cursor will not render) down the right side

This appears to be the same issue that was described on 1.4.x as detailed here: https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/help-bug-unviewable-area-in-ultrawide.1324/#post-8542
and
This appears to be the same issue, but at a higher resolution, but with a more massive cutoff on the right side of the screen: https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/bug-32-9-ultrawide-aspect-broken-in-1-5.3112/

The areas of the game where it presents itself is the same as in the 1.4.x post; the Farm, Mountains, Town, The Beach, and Cindersnap Forest. Possible other areas are affected as well.

Testing
The game was vanilla, with no mods. Tested both UI and Zoom levels independently at all possible combinations, with both options appearing to be doing the same thing, albeit in different ways as mentioned above. The issue only presents itself when the UI and/or Zoom levels are the 75% and 80% settings. I did testing with varying combinations of UI and Zoom levels and from what I can see the issue with either the blacked-out area or the brighter-area shows that the issue only presents itself if UI and Zoom levels go below 85%. Any combination of zoom level and UI scale at percentages higher than 85% shows no problems what-so-ever from what I can see with my resolution.

Once either Zoom level or UI scaling goes below 85%, either the blacked-out area appears or the differently shaded area with no mouse render appears. Once you get to 75% on both, the blacked-out non-render gameplay area is present cutting off a noticeable chunk of the gameplay area.

Test 1:
UI Scale: 150% -> 85%
Zoom Level: 85% -> 200%

Results: No areas are cut off and/or are not rendered properly at any combination of the above zoom level / UI scale percentages.

Test 2:
UI: All 150% -> 85%
Zoom Levels Tested: 80% & 75%

Results: A blacked-out area begins to appear and grow from the right side of the game window cutting off the visible play area. This will occur independently of whatever the UI scale percentage is set at, but only appears when the Zoom level is set at 80% or 75%.

Test 3:
UI Scale: 80% & 75%
Zoom Levels: 200% -> 85%

Results: A differently shaded "brighter" looking area begins to appear and grow from the right side of the game window. The area appears to be almost the exact same size/area that appears when the UI scale is adjusted to either 80% or 75%. Again this will present itself independently of what the zoom level is set at.

EVIDENCE:

Please see the Imgur album I put together of the screenshots showing the issue: https://imgur.com/a/RYK5CfV

Last edited:

LOD121

Newcomer
I'm experiencing the same issue with my Samsung G9 Odyssey (5120x1440). The issue occurs if the UI Scale is set below 125%. This only started occurring with the 1.5 release today.

pthsim

Newcomer
Can confirm; experiencing this on a Samsung Odyssey G9 (5120x1440), running Linux.
Zoom level at 100% and UI scale at 125% is the only setting that works.

Did also test two player split screen (which was really fun!), and that worked, but had to change the ui scale and zoom level to avoid having anything outside the visible space. But that was not so much an issue, because the settings that worked turned out to be optimal.

Dasone

Greenhorn
It's a problem with the game engine XNA which uses a graphic profile "HiDef" that only supports textures up to 4096x4096 resolution. That means if you zoom in and out in the game, the resolution of the game that is rendering is your screens resolution * (1 / zoom level). There's a ceiling cap in the game that protects the resolution to bypass 4096 and that creates really weir aspect ratios.

There could be some tricks to bypass this. Either try to override HiDef settings with some reflection hacks that's mention over Celeste github with the same problem: https://github.com/NoelFB/Celeste/issues/5
I don't really recommend this "easy hack" since it would work on high res pc computer since it uses of DirectX drivers (I think it's only for DirectX, and not Direct3D). And it would be really heavy on your machine.

The other thing I could think of would be using two graphics device instances, splitted on two camera that moves across the screen with some matrix algorithm that keeps tracks of every assets transitions. This would be much cleaner way to fix this but takes a lot more time to implement. Just make sure to use the second graphical device if only the resolution bypass 4096, lazy implementation so to say so not every device need to handle a potential memory heavy solution.
4096*4096 is around 64MB of texture memory, so this solution should not be for everyone ;).

I've tried to fiddle around with my own mod to figure this out. But I ran into a dead end where I just gave up. But I wanted to share what I found out. Hope there will be any resolution of this matter.