Solved [BUG] 32:9 ultrawide aspect broken in 1.5

grey

Greenhorn
5120x1440 32:9 aspect was previously working great, with some minor graphical issues.

In 1.5, there's a large chunk of the right side of the screen where the mouse cursor stops drawing and accepting mouse input. This makes farming on the eastern part of the farm very difficult with mouse/keyboard.

grey

Greenhorn
StardewBug.png

Here's a good screenshot of the issue. Everything to the right of the black area is unusable. I'm also pretty sure that the HUD elements were aligned to the right side of the screen previously. The issue persists in both fullscreen and windowed fullscreen modes.

grey

Greenhorn
Sorry, one more piece of info. I noticed that the black screen boundary appears at 4096 pixels. On the suspicion I was blowing out some texture size or code limit, I tried again at 3840x1080, and it works. So it's not an aspect ratio problem, it's a problem with horizontal screen sizes greater than 4096 pixels. Perhaps the UI is being drawn to a separate render target now, and it's not big enough for my screen?

LOD121

Newcomer
I'm experiencing the same issue with the 1.5 release. 5120x1440 was working perfectly before the update and now I have to change my UI scale to 125% to be able to see the mouse on the right side of the screen.

Jefferson

Greenhorn
Yep, same issue here! Like LOD121 said, the game is perfectly playable once you bump the UI scale up to 125%, but it does make the interface a little overly large when you do, and that's not entirely ideal~. Notice how the right half of the UI has moved, and how the mouse cursor over at the energy bar drops off the screen. The resolution below is 32:9 at 5120x1440!

20200111230158_1.jpg

Version 1.4

20201222171736_1.jpg

Version 1.5

PhilH

Newcomer
Me too on an Odyssey G9 @ 5120x1440. Just posted a seperate thread on this. Works when in scaled down window mode.

mqs

Greenhorn
I was getting a similar issue with the first 1.5 update, but the most recent updates in the last few hours seems to have fixed it.

I'm only 3440x1440, and my bug was slightly different: instead of the areas as you highlight being "unworking", they were simply black unless I was in full-screen mode. Windowed and borderless window didn't work if they were that wide. If I shrunk them a couple hundred pixels, they'd fill out.

EDIT: I wasn't getting it for a bit, but now I am. Maybe it's related to the beach farm? When I tested earlier I was on a different farm; now I'm on beach farm.

Last edited:

LordPantaloons

Newcomer
Same with 5760x1080, also the right portion of my setup is black on the main menu and that portion of the screen loads in faster than the rest of the screen. or rather its like its skipping the black transitions.

mqs

Greenhorn
Been playing a couple hours today (since a patch that was posted overnight) and I haven't had it happen yet today.

Ludo

Cowpoke
Been playing a couple hours today (since a patch that was posted overnight) and I haven't had it happen yet today.
You need to be on triple screen to be impacted I guess.
I have this with 5830x1080
1608918522705.png

1608918536555.png

grey

Greenhorn
Yeah, I was just saying that the bug still occurs as written, despite claims to the contrary. I can be patient, and we have the UI scaling workaround to make it playable in the meantime.

Ludo

Cowpoke
Yeah, I was just saying that the bug still occurs as written, despite claims to the contrary. I can be patient, and we have the UI scaling workaround to make it playable in the meantime.
I use 95% or 145% for the GUI from now and keep zoom at 100%

Dasone

Greenhorn
It's a problem with the game engine XNA which uses a graphic profile "HiDef" that only supports textures up to 4096x4096 resolution. That means if you zoom in and out in the game, the resolution of the game that is rendering is your screens resolution * (1 / zoom level). There's a ceiling cap in the game that protects the resolution to bypass 4096 and that creates really weir aspect ratios.

There could be some tricks to bypass this. Either try to override HiDef settings with some reflection hacks that's mention over Celeste github with the same problem: https://github.com/NoelFB/Celeste/issues/5
I don't really recommend this "easy hack" since it would work on high res pc computer since it uses of DirectX drivers (I think it's only for DirectX, and not Direct3D). And it would be really heavy on your machine.

The other thing I could think of would be using two graphics device instances, splitted on two camera that moves across the screen with some matrix algorithm that keeps tracks of every assets transitions. This would be much cleaner way to fix this but takes a lot more time to implement. Just make sure to use the second graphical device if only the resolution bypass 4096, lazy implementation so to say so not every device need to handle a potential memory heavy solution.
4096*4096 is around 64MB of texture memory, so this solution should not be for everyone ;).

I've tried to fiddle around with my own mod to figure this out. But I ran into a dead end where I just gave up. But I wanted to share what I found out. Hope there will be any resolution of this matter.

grey

Greenhorn
Dasone, that hack is absolutely hilarious. I'm an engine programmer myself, and I'll definitely have to point and laugh at it at work on Monday. ;-) But I would think it would be fairly easy to implement this for people with absurdly high resolutions, and seems relatively safe (if the video card's capabilities are queried first). I would expect that anyone running these monitors would support 8k render targets.

romancase

Newcomer
To add to this, I usually play on one 2560x1440 monitor, but was trying to play the game in local co-op across 2 monitors via Nvidia Surround (combined resolutions of 5120x1440) for a more convenient experience. However at 5120x1440 I would get a hard crash (crash log here) when attempting to start a co-op session... specifically when pressing start on the controller for player 2 to join. Of note from the log: "XNA Framework HiDef profile supports a maximum Texture2D size of 4096." However dropping the resolution to a lower option (I believe it was something like 30xx by 10xx) allowed it to work without crashing, with ui elements in the right place etc.

ConcernedApe

Creator & Developer
Staff member
It's a problem with the game engine XNA which uses a graphic profile "HiDef" that only supports textures up to 4096x4096 resolution. That means if you zoom in and out in the game, the resolution of the game that is rendering is your screens resolution * (1 / zoom level). There's a ceiling cap in the game that protects the resolution to bypass 4096 and that creates really weir aspect ratios.

There could be some tricks to bypass this. Either try to override HiDef settings with some reflection hacks that's mention over Celeste github with the same problem: https://github.com/NoelFB/Celeste/issues/5
I don't really recommend this "easy hack" since it would work on high res pc computer since it uses of DirectX drivers (I think it's only for DirectX, and not Direct3D). And it would be really heavy on your machine.

The other thing I could think of would be using two graphics device instances, splitted on two camera that moves across the screen with some matrix algorithm that keeps tracks of every assets transitions. This would be much cleaner way to fix this but takes a lot more time to implement. Just make sure to use the second graphical device if only the resolution bypass 4096, lazy implementation so to say so not every device need to handle a potential memory heavy solution.
4096*4096 is around 64MB of texture memory, so this solution should not be for everyone ;).

I've tried to fiddle around with my own mod to figure this out. But I ran into a dead end where I just gave up. But I wanted to share what I found out. Hope there will be any resolution of this matter.
Thanks for this... we're looking into it

Cyants

Greenhorn
Yeah same issue here, the game in the background use the whole 5120x1440 resolution but the UI viewport is bugged unless at 125%. If they dont come up with a fix maybe someone can point toward a UI mod thats smaller even when the UI viewport is scaled to 125%