Solved [BUG] Multiplayer not working in MAC

MAC players, is your multiplayer working?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Miyu

Newcomer
Hello everyone, I've been playing with my gf stardew valley for a year now. After the 1.5 update, she started having some issues connecting to our farm, but normally it worked if I invited her from my steam friend list. Today that stopped working, we tried disabling her firewalls, reinstalling the game, restarting her computer, switching routers and wifis, changing her name in steam, but nothing seems to work.

We noticed that today her game stopped showing the invite code option, and there's no way to make it work, not even from the steam invites.

I am worried that we won't be able to play anymore our farm.

Any other idea to fix this?

tissa

Newcomer
hello, i have spent the past hour trying to join my sister's game and it doesn't work. she and my brother in law have been trying to help me but have had no luck so far. i have a mac and she has a pc.. plz help :(

update: i can confirm that this is a mac issue. my sister has even tried on her mac and it doesn't work for her also. weird because it worked perfectly fine yesterday

Miyu

Newcomer
hello, i have spent the past hour trying to join my sister's game and it doesn't work. she and my brother in law have been trying to help me but have had no luck so far. i have a mac and she has a pc.. plz help :(
Happens the same to me, I have PC and it is working normally, but she has mac and won't work :(

MissDandy

Farmer
I have had this problem many times before when my friend and I play on Steam on our Macs. We can usually get it to work if we are in the same room (and are connected to the same internet network) by using the host's IP address. Once I have hosted the game, my friend will go and type in the IP address after she hits "Join LAN Game...". Again I believe this only works when you are in the same room or on the same network, so I'm not sure if it's any help. But if you are, this is always my last resort when the invite code doesn't show up and so far, it hasn't failed me.

Miyu

Newcomer
I have had this problem many times before when my friend and I play on Steam on our Macs. We can usually get it to work if we are in the same room (and are connected to the same internet network) by using the host's IP address. Once I have hosted the game, my friend will go and type in the IP address after she hits "Join LAN Game...". Again I believe this only works when you are in the same room or on the same network, so I'm not sure if it's any help. But if you are, this is always my last resort when the invite code doesn't show up and so far, it hasn't failed me.
Yeah, unfortunally this works only with the same network :/

iilightic

Newcomer
Here's a description for a workaround (to create your own virtual network):

I haven't tried it, but I think it's worth a shot while you wait for the problem to be fixed.
I tried it with my mac and it worked! Although you can only play Stardew and don't have internet access on your mac until you turn it off. (If you turn it off and you still don't have internet just disconnect from your wifi and reconnect, should fix it)

I haven’t tried the ZeroTier option yet but I’m hoping to not have to download an external site... will do that if I must. Here’s my little story:

I’ve been playing stardew co-op on Mac for the last few months and everything was working well (I was the host). However, last night the option for entering invite code/inviting other players stopped appearing. I went through all of the troubleshooting suggestions on the stardew wiki (except startup preferences because terminal keeps denying the code) and nothing worked. I was playing another multiplayer game before and it was working on steam. I switched to boot camp and was able to host - same steam account name and wifi network... but back on Mac the invite code option still doesn’t show up. Not sure where to go from here :/

flameflash

Greenhorn
From what I am seeing this is an issue purely with Catalina and 1.5. Something about how the Mac firewall is set up occasionally will block Stardew and likewise not allow a person to proceed into hosting a game because it forgets you've already authorized it.

My games don't show up on the available to join screen and often times I don't get a multiplayer code and have to restart until Mac OS asks for permission to allow incoming connections. Unfortunately that sometimes takes a while.

maomixx

Greenhorn
From what I am seeing this is an issue purely with Catalina and 1.5. Something about how the Mac firewall is set up occasionally will block Stardew and likewise not allow a person to proceed into hosting a game because it forgets you've already authorized it.

My games don't show up on the available to join screen and often times I don't get a multiplayer code and have to restart until Mac OS asks for permission to allow incoming connections. Unfortunately that sometimes takes a while.
Is this something you've tried since the steam update June 8th?? 🤔 Interesting nonetheless.

I've had occasional issues along with other mac friends, but we've managed to solve it with various computer-restarts, steam restarts etc etc. But latest steam update killed it completely, no workaround without 3rd party software known as of yet. 😢

Ckearpf

Newcomer
Honestly this issue has been annoying and doesn't seem like it's gonna get fixed soon..

me and my friends have been using a service called ZeroTier https://www.zerotier.com
that completely fixes the problem, I'd recommend using it as opposed to waiting.
Hope it helps.