Solved [BUG] Journal scraps bug?

Waddlehoots

Greenhorn
Hi!

I have had the island for a little bit, I’ve unlocked every area except for Mr. Qi’s place, I’ve done Birdie’s quest, I’ve gotten through the volcano multiple times, and I’ve yet to find a single journal scrap. On my other save file on the switch, I got a journal scrap on my first day on the island but this time around... nothing.
Did I do something wrong? Is this a bug that I can fix? I’m so frustrated :( I’ve yet to have a normal save file on the Switch...

BabyblazeRae

Newcomer
I have the same problem, my other switch save I have 100% perfection and the other one I call the cursed save. I haven’t found a single journal scrap. I don’t know how to remedy it. It’s very strange because on PC they’re so easy to find and my other save they pop up a lot. I wonder if it’s an RNG issue?

Waddlehoots

Greenhorn
I have the same problem, my other switch save I have 100% perfection and the other one I call the cursed save. I haven’t found a single journal scrap. I don’t know how to remedy it. It’s very strange because on PC they’re so easy to find and my other save they pop up a lot. I wonder if it’s an RNG issue?
I have no idea but I’m really frustrated! I ended up starting a new save file and I’m very close to unlocking the island again so we will see if it’s an issue again or if it was a cursed save file (I have way too many of those)

BabyblazeRae

Newcomer
I have made a breakthrough with the cursed file. I just tried restarting the game and now I’m finding journal scraps. Weird but whatever I’ll take it.

Waddlehoots

Greenhorn
I have made a breakthrough with the cursed file. I just tried restarting the game and now I’m finding journal scraps. Weird but whatever I’ll take it.
Where did you find the first one to kickstart it?? I just unlocked the island again on a new save file and I’m still not having any luck :(

justagirl324

Cowpoke
I'm having the same issue on ps4. It really sucks, since it's a beach farm and so adorable! I have been on the island almost 2 in-game years, but seeing everyone have the same issue on multiple devices is really disheartening.

Geoman265

Tiller
Not sure why this was marked as solved, as the reason why the bug was caused, as well as a reliable way to fix it, were not found.

JackBlack

Newcomer
I had been having a similar issue on PC and investigated it, and I think I know the cause, assuming the code-base is the same.

Inside the function tryToCreateUnseenSecretNote, it clears the HashSet which contains the list of secret notes (GameLocation.secretNotesSeen), but not that of journal scraps (GameLocation.journalsSeen).

That means when you play a save file that has all the journal scraps, and it triggers that code at all, it will note that all journal scraps have been found.
If you then exit that save file, without closing the game, and load another save file, it will remember that all journal scraps have been found, so you will not find any.

The only way to be able to find journal scraps again is to clear that HashSet, such as by entirely closing the software (rather than simply suspending it).