PC [BUG] I found out why Online Co-Op (Invite Code) won't work

BlueTrillium

Farmhand
I've done some more troubleshooting and I think I've got it nailed down, but let me know if there are more things I should test.

Similar issues but I've done more testing since then:
Unable to Join Co-Op game
No Invite Code Option

PC, Windows, Stardew version 1.5.1

Issue: When attempting to host or join a multiplayer game that is not LAN, Invite Code option (neither generating, nor the ability to enter one) is not available unless Steam is running. Nor are any other multiplayer join options. Basically, if Steam is not running you can ONLY play multiplayer via LAN.

How to replicate/test: I have a shortcut set up on my desktop to circumvent Steam that goes straight to the Stardew Valley exe. The path the shortcut is pointing to is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\Stardew Valley.exe"

Prior to 1.5, using this shortcut would allow me to play SV while connected to the internet (including both joining and hosting multiplayer via invite code) without having to log into Steam first. I have an older machine and Steam gets in the way sometimes with the stupid popups, or Steam friends interrupting to chat when I wanna get my good SV time in, etc. It was also a good way to play multiplayer without mods, without having to go in and move/rename my mods folder first.

After 1.5, if I try to do this (Steam is not running, but I am connected to the internet) and I use this shortcut to go straight to the .exe, only LAN options are available for multiplayer both joining and hosting.

If Steam is already running in the background (e.g. if I was playing a different Steam game earlier and didn't log out) then the shortcut works and I get all multiplayer options with no Steam overlay crap... so somehow despite going straight to the .exe only and not actually using Steam... it still detects that Steam is running and allows invite codes.

So apparently in the Stardew Valley exe, the Invite Code option is locked to Steam, even though Steam is not required for multiplayer via invite code.

Workaround until the bug is fixed:
None, actually. You must have Steam running at least in the background in order to play multiplayer via invite code. :c
In the other threads I advised running through SMAPI to fix the issue... this does not actually work (I'm sorry, and I will update my comments), at least with SMAPI 3.8.0 (I have not yet tried SMAPI 3.8.1), because my tests with SMAPI were going in via Steam launch options so therefore Steam was still running during those tests.
- I set up another shortcut on my desktop that goes straight to the SMAPI exe (no Steam) and I see the exact same issues there if Steam is not running.

Ceres

Newcomer
This is NOT true. The issue presents itself EVEN IF you only launch the game through Steam. I have never launched the game from my desktop, I ALWAYS launch through Steam, and yet my co-op code option disappeared randomly and has not come back no matter what I tried.

Last edited:

dubesor

Farmhand
yea that's not the issue, I have steam up and running 100% of the time when launching SDV, sometimes invite code option shows, sometimes not.

madedam

Newcomer
I'm not very tech-y but I had a somewhat similar situation as OP. I also checked the thread @Marabon linked as well as the open thread: https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/bug-multiplayer-invitation-code-isnt-appearing.5209/
I had a slightly different issue as people seem to be having but hopefully this makes sense for OP's problem lol.

Long story short, I had to reset my computer but kept my personal files so the conflicting .old files caused some issues. I did the same route as OP to launch SV with a shortcut. I got SV to appear/run as a Start Shortcut (via StardewVelly.exe) but it wouldn't launch with invite code privileges (LAN only). This would happen regardless if Steam was running and online/invisible status didn't matter. Fortunately, launching SV directly from my Steam Library never gives me any issues (knock on wood). So as long as I launched directly from Steam, co-op via invite codes are no problem at all.

Fixed it so SV running from Start shortcut would also run Steam in the background and launch with invite code option available (no need to manually launch Steam):
1. Launch Steam
2. Steam library>Stardew Valley>Manage icon/cog>Manage>Add desktop shortcut
3. Copy newly made desktop shortcut and paste to Start C:\Users\**\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs.

This will make it into an Internet Shortcut instead of just a Shortcut from the .exe file and running it will launch it through Steam (running in the background) and allow invite codes.

Sorry if this post was a mess, lol I don't typically make posts; I just visit forums in my own troubleshooting xD
But hopefully it helps some people!