PC [BUG] Duplicate skill level-up popups

msbadger

Greenhorn
Just wanted to chime in and say I've also got the same issue. Windows 10 via Steam, single player, and I'm getting Mining 8-9, and Foraging 9 every night.

Shalassa

Newcomer
Having the same issue. Modded as well as on a clean save on a fresh install

I'm running 1.5.4.981587505 on Kubuntu 20.04 (ie. Linux), according to GOG that's the most recent version, and the OS is updated as well, including mono.

realihzayshun

Greenhorn
Just wanted to give another update to this issue -- I uninstalled all mods and SMAPI, performed a complete wipe and reinstall of Stardew, and I am getting my level 1 forage skill level-up notification every night when I go to sleep. Windows 10, purchased through Steam. I have done this test twice on different new saves (one did have SMAPI installed but no other mods) and it happened with farming levels 1 and 2 and forage level 1. I know from past experience that it was happening for every farming level as I leveled up besides the 5 and 10 levels. I wouldn't really care too much but it does keep some mods from functioning properly from my past experience.

Shortbolts

Newcomer
Has there been a fix to this? It's rather annoying having to spam ESC every night (Currently going through 14-15 skill level ups).

I FOUND A FIX

you just have the save file edit out the NewLevels section
How would you go about doing this? And would it be easy to do for someone who's never messed with a save file before?

Shortbolts

Newcomer
Decided to start a completely new farm (Got tired of the Forest Farm and wanted to do it on the normal one for more space/better layout for OCD). ALL of the new games that I start do this as well. I got to day 5 of Spring with level 5 fishing (Got there by the end of day 3), day 3's night and day 4's night spammed me with level 1-5 fishing (1-4 on day 4 as 5 is getting the profession). Forgot to back up my save before messing with it, and tried to remove the levels through the save file (As I was told to do). The whole save is gone, it's not showing up in game anymore. I wouldn't mind this and could easily start again, but, within the first few days I actually got some really good stuff to speed up progress, so I would much prefer having that save back if possible.

Is there any way I can get this save back? Is there also a possible full fix for this bug, as it's really annoying to constantly have to spam through duplicate level ups every night. I like starting new farms a lot ( I play multiple farms at the same time), but this bug will literally make me avoid doing that, and in the process make me avoid playing this game.

dicepotato

Newcomer
Windows 10, steam, modded, single player. Have to go through currently 26 or 27 pop ups a night (1-9 Farming, 1-7 foraging and combat, 1-6 mining, 1-2 fishing), tried editing the save file but it continued to happen anyways with the same pop ups. Tired of button mashing to get through the night

Zeroji

Newcomer
I FOUND A FIX

you just have the save file edit out the NewLevels section
How would you go about doing this? And would it be easy to do for someone who's never messed with a save file before?
I want to know how to do this too!
Thanks Hubris for providing the info, I was able to reproduce your fix and fix my save files :)
First, go to your Stardew saves location (see wiki), and grab the one named FarmName_123456789 or something (not any of the "_old").
Open it in a code-oriented text editor (be it Notepad, Notepad++, Visual Studio Code or anything - basically anything but Word or WordPad).
Use the search feature (generally Ctrl+F) to search for the text <newLevels, then there are two possibilities:
  • If you see <newLevels />, then it's already okay - you may be on the wrong player's data, keep searching
  • If you see <newLevels>, there will be a series of elements like <Point><X>1</X><Y>3</Y></Point>, and then </newLevels>.
    You need to delete the text between the two tags, so that only <newLevels></newLevels> remain in the save.
When you're done, save the file and exit, and it should work. If nothing changes, try doing the same with the file named SaveGameInfo.

While it's not a particularly difficult fix to apply, it can be painfully slow if your computer or editor has trouble opening the file (which can be heavy, and is on a single line), so I made a quick website on Github pages to do the magic: link to web app / link to source code

Note that this isn't a permanent fix, the new new levels you'll gain will still be shown, but if you're level 9 or 10 everywhere then you can consider it permanent, since you won't have new dialogs. So far I've been doing it whenever I exit the game after a couple hours, and I remove about 5-6 new levels each time.

Hope that helps!

minx70

Newcomer
Thanks Hubris for providing the info, I was able to reproduce your fix and fix my save files :)
First, go to your Stardew saves location (see wiki), and grab the one named FarmName_123456789 or something (not any of the "_old").
Open it in a code-oriented text editor (be it Notepad, Notepad++, Visual Studio Code or anything - basically anything but Word or WordPad).
Use the search feature (generally Ctrl+F) to search for the text <newLevels, then there are two possibilities:
  • If you see <newLevels />, then it's already okay - you may be on the wrong player's data, keep searching
  • If you see <newLevels>, there will be a series of elements like <Point><X>1</X><Y>3</Y></Point>, and then </newLevels>.
    You need to delete the text between the two tags, so that only <newLevels></newLevels> remain in the save.
When you're done, save the file and exit, and it should work. If nothing changes, try doing the same with the file named SaveGameInfo.

While it's not a particularly difficult fix to apply, it can be painfully slow if your computer or editor has trouble opening the file (which can be heavy, and is on a single line), so I made a quick website on Github pages to do the magic: link to web app / link to source code

Note that this isn't a permanent fix, the new new levels you'll gain will still be shown, but if you're level 9 or 10 everywhere then you can consider it permanent, since you won't have new dialogs. So far I've been doing it whenever I exit the game after a couple hours, and I remove about 5-6 new levels each time.

Hope that helps!
Hi i just wanted to report that my save file is no longer detected after i used the web app you provided. is there anything that is should do to the edited file to make sure my game detects it ?

I was having this issue (starting from one of the later updates to 5.1) and I figured out a fix that works for me!

If I click the level-up pop-up closed with my mouse, I never see it again. It only doesn't go away if I use the "E" key to dismiss the pop-up. I've tested it multiple times on the same save file, haven't tested it on new saves. But it takes care of the problem for me.

I'm using a Windows 8.1 and run Stardew Valley through Steam, which I have set up to open SMAPI to load all my mods.

That would make sense Dexagon, since escape is essentially no-input, bypassing input, or to be more exacting, escaping out of input/acknowledgement. Hitting OK on the other hand, is the acknowledgement of information. I'd be interested to see if this indeed fixes it for everyone (if so it is kind of worth a chuckle and would seem to indicate that the dialog requires acknowledgement to stop popping up). 😁

Zsaklin

Newcomer
As Dexagon said, click "ok" instead of hitting Escape or any other button you assigned to open/close the menu in-game (for me it was Enter, not the default E), and you won't have the pop-up spam at you again. It's neat and a lot more practical than having to edit the save file every time you have a level up.
Quick edit: It just hit me that I've never had the issue with the pop-ups on previous farms because I've just recently began hitting the Esc/Enter to pass the night, which I didn't use to do before.

Gogo

Newcomer
I dont know if this is a bug or its just the game but whenever I level up its always start at level one then level two then level three and so on and different categories too but this just happen when I level up not like daily