Switch [BUG] Cutting grass does not give hay

imnvs

Local Legend
This thread is around, and I know that CA and MrP do check this section of the forum... but they may not have an answer. I mean, if they don't know how to fix it, they don't want to come here and tell you something that'll get your hopes up, but I'm sure they're aware of it, and would love to fix it.

I mean, at this point, all I can recommend is an uninstall/reinstall, but that's not guaranteed to fix your issue, and I do not know if doing so will lose your save.

BlaDe

Farmer
I'm not a developer for the game, but I would like to understand the issue. If we can understand the issue it will give the developers a leg up for when they look at the issue.

There is an potential problem on PC which may be related to this. If the internal gameID is too high, the random checks for cutting grass is broken and either all succeeds or all fails. I think this is the reason why the new game random seed box is limited to 9 characters.

I dont know how rng on switch compares to rng on pc.

As a step to understanding this, can you do some testing for me?

Can you download my predictor, start a new game and enter a game seed on create. Make sure you remember it. Then in my predictor, can you compare the rng results with the game? Check things like crop quality and ladders in the mines. Make sure that the seed is entered and the day is set correctly.

dmxdc

Greenhorn
@imnvs Thank you, i understand that. I was just hoping on a confirmation that they would check it.

@BlaDe Just to be sure, we need to start a new game for that? There is no way to get the gameseed from the current save? (even if its a technical thing)

BlaDe

Farmer
@BlaDe Just to be sure, we need to start a new game for that? There is no way to get the gameseed from the current save? (even if its a technical thing)
I am hoping to eventually be able to do this, but I am unsure how switch rng compares to PC rng.

imnvs

Local Legend
I am hoping to eventually be able to do this, but I am unsure how switch rng compares to PC rng.
We could do a comparison. Have someone on Switch and someone on PC both start up a standard with the same seed number and see what's available at that first traveling cart appearance in both.

dmxdc

Greenhorn
@imnvs we did start te new game with the gameseed and have the following info from the trading cart:

spring Day 7, year one

Q - Name - $
1 spangle seeds 125
1 poppy 1000
1 autumn's bounty 1750
5 melon seeds 200
1 gold ore 900
1 coleslaw 1725
1 maple bar 1500
1 radish salad 1500
1 strange bun 675
1 jelly 640
1 birch tea-table 2000
1 rare seed 1000

Gameseed used: 437685

imnvs

Local Legend
PC, gameseed used: 437685, Sunday Spring 7 Year 1

1 coconut 800
1 lobster 700
1 cherry sapling 3400
1 basic fertilizer 100
1 tulip 800
1 squid 800
1 wild horseradish 100
1 stir fry 1005
1 poppyseed muffin 1250
1 modern table 1500
1 rare seed 1000
1 coffee bean 2500

🤔 This doesn't look promising. 🤔 Still, it may be enough for @BlaDe... maybe?

Last edited:

BlaDe

Farmer
Thanks for the data both of you.

We now know for sure that the rng works differently on switch, even with the same seed. Unfortunately i dont think I can do much more analysis without the source code for that platform.

I stongly suspect the issue is to do with the game seed; similar things have been observed on PC with very high game seeds (achievable by changing the system clock).

I have prodded a developer directly on this issue, it is now up to the porting team.

AhoyDee

Greenhorn
Sometimes i will cut grass and relieve it but not often and when I cut the little shrubs (im still new with this stuff) I don't either which I didn't think you did but I have no idea LOL! Try to have your partner buy grass from the store and use it and cut it, that's the only way I ever get it but it's cheaper to just buy hay from Marnie honestly
:(​

imnvs

Local Legend
it's cheaper to just buy hay from Marnie honestly
No it is not. You can make grass starter now from cheap ingredients. You plant it on Winter 28, put little spots in any open space... the next day you'll have 40+ grass tiles around each and every starter you put down the night before... let it spread... occasionally punch holes in it with your scythe. That's the cheap way to get hay.

However, if scything grass isn't getting you hay, this'll be a problem.