PC [Bug] Changes to system sound during runtime crashes the game, freezes system

lawn_and_order

Newcomer
While the game is running, if sound output changes (I unplug my headphones and plug in some speakers for example), the next sound the game attempts to play will freeze the entire system to the point where I have to shut down the machine. In one instance the computer got stuck performing automatic repair several times and Windows appeared to uninstall Stardew Valley during the repairs just to boot properly (Stardew Valley had to be redownloaded when I launched Steam). I have not noted this behavior with any other game or application.

No Mods installed
v 1.5.1
Windows 10 v. 2004 latest cumulative update installed 12/12/20, i7-2600, If using motherboard sound (ASRock z77 Extreme 4), Microsoft Sound Driver 10.0.19041.264. If using graphic's card sound (which I don't but the system might be switching to it while I'm unplugging/plugging in devices) (EVGA GeForce GTX 1070), NVIDIA Sound Driver 1.3.38.16. Windows reports these are all the latest drivers/updates

Cynthia

Greenhorn
I have the same problem, also playing on Windows. I turned off the bluetooth while the game was on pause and it crashed ("stopped responding"). I lost a productive day of farming, so frustrating! I didn't have to shut down my machine though.

I've been playing Stardew Valley for 2 years and this has started happening recently. I thought it might be the GOG update, but since you also have this problem this Steam it could be something else...

Unfortunately, this has been a known issue and a problem for a long time. It appears to be any Bluetooth device disconnection that causes it. The equally unfortunate response that people get is, "don't disconnect your headphones/device during play" or "make sure your Bluetooth devices are fully charged," neither of which are very satisfactory answers I'm afraid. We see this reported so often that people have just stopped replying to it.

I'll see if I can find and link to one of the posts that explain why, if I don't find one fast enough, you might try using forum search. It is an underlying issue with what the game was built on that can't be remedied easily and sounds like an "overhaul" project that the willingness to do might be lacking on. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Magically Clueless
Unfortunately, this is an internal issue with what the game was built on, so you can't change audio devices while the game is open without it freezing/crashing. The fix is at least simple (either don't have headphones plugged in, or don't unplug your headphones) but I understand it's really frustrating. Hopefully this can be fixed sometime down the line, but it's a pretty deep-rooted issue
And
Magically Clueless
Yeah, this was an issue I had when playing the game too, especially since my old computer didn't have speakers so I HAD to use my headphones, and there was the occasional time something would happen and I'd disconnect and then crash hahaha. I really wish this was something that could be dealt with much easier, and something I've even talked to the devs about but it's just not really a feasible fix for the time being