Solved [BUG] 127/130 Last 3 walnuts despawned at 2am [Solved]

1iJay

Newcomer
Hello! I searched and did not see someone with the same issue. If I missed the post, please point me in the direction of the post.

I was doing the color/memory game near your Ginger island farm. I successfully completed the game, right as 2am hit, forcing my character to fall asleep on the floor. The magnet effect did not kick in and the game saved. The next day I rushed back to the room, but the walnuts weren't there anymore.
I thought nothing of it at the time since I was new to the Island, until the parrot no longer gave me any hints. I did a save file check, and sadly I got this message:

GW127.PNG

I'm not sure what to do at this point, but it would be cool if there was someway I could reset the color/memory game.

Thank you in advance!

There is a way, but that implies savefile manipulation.

I think I know how to reset the cave, if you want to. However, I want to say first this is only after a cursory check, making sure the cave does reset, and I don't know the long-term effects it could have. Only proceed if you don't mind going back to the in-game day before the change if it turns out you or me messed up somewhere.

1. Go to your save files location (dependent of your OS, in Windows is %appdata%/StardewValley/Saves. Check Google if you are in any other OS).
  2. Make a backup of your save (the whole folder, which is something like PlayerName_NumberSeed or FarmName_NumberSeed). Seriously, do it. If something goes wrong, and you can't restore your game because you didn't make a copy of the savefile before editing it, you only have yourself to blame. I cannot overstate how important this one step is. Always backup your savefiles, people. Specially when you're going to tinker with them.
  3. Open in notepad the file with the same name as the folder, without the _old at the end of the file name.
  4. Here's what you should do:
    1. Search for <goldenWalnuts>. This tag stores the number of Golden Walnuts on your wallet, unspent. You say you didn't get them, so you, OP, should not change this one. I'm leaving this for anyone else playing god with their savefile, to know how to keep the savestate consistent. If you actually received the Golden Walnuts of the game, you should take the number in this tag and substract whatever number you received from the game (3 in the case of the Simon Says cave). Fair warning, if that puts the number on the negatives, I don't know what would happen, though.
    2. Search for <goldenWalnutsFound>This tag stores the number of Golden Walnuts already found (spent + not spent). Substract 3 from this number for the 3 walnuts the game thinks you got from Simon Says cave (Fun Fact, this is what is making Stardew Checkup say the count and the markers don't line up, the game stored the cave as completed even though you didn't actually pick up the walnuts).
    3. Search for <string>IslandWestCavePuzzle</string>. This tag stores whether the Simon Says Cave, specifically, has been completed. Delete it altogether.
    4. Now, this one is a bit complicated. Search for <GameLocation xsi:type="IslandWestCave1">. This is the tag that stores info about the Simon Says Cave. Now, after this point, slowly advance the cursor looking for a tag that reads something like <completed>true</completed>. If you got to a </GameLocation>, you went past it, go back. In my case, it's right between </IsGreenhouse> and </GameLocation>, but that may not be the case for you (after all, tag order has no meaning in XML format). Don't directly search for <completed>, it appears several times in the file.
      • Take the mentioned <completed>true</completed> tag, and if it says true, change it to false. If you don't,nothing will happen when interacting with the statue, because, as the tag says, the cave minigame has been "completed".
  5. Save, and try to open the save in the game. Interacting with the statue should let you play again, and drop the walnuts again when completed. Just, y'know, don't play close to 2a.m.

Remember I'm just a random person trying to help. I tested that the cave is indeed reset, the walnuts are dropped, and they are indeed added to my wallet count. I checked the savefile with Stardew Checkup and it doesn't look like the savefile is in a inconsistent state afterwards, but I don't know how thoroughly it checks.

Hope this helps!

1iJay

Newcomer
Hey Lao!

Alright, I'm down to try this solution. Seems solid. I'll report back to you in a bit after I try this. Thank you for your well thought out, and well formatted reply!

edit: Working on it now. If it works, I'll test the file for about a week before I mark as solved, as to test for any new potential issues with the manipulation.

Last edited:

1iJay

Newcomer
Search for <goldenWalnutsFound>This tag stores the number of Golden Walnuts already found (spent + not spent). Substract 3 from this number for the 3 walnuts the game thinks you got from Simon Says cave (Fun Fact, this is what is making Stardew Checkup say the count and the markers don't line up, the game stored the cave as completed even though you didn't actually pick up the walnuts).
I did all the other steps except this part. The checkup was detecting I found them all, and the parrot was no longer giving me hints. These were the final 3 I was missing (I checked a few guides). After I did all the other steps (I backed my save up multiple times) I booted up my save and teleported to the island. I went to the parrot and I got the "3 hidden in the west" hint and the Simon says cave is reset.

GW127Edit.PNG

I attached an updated checkup screenshot and it looks good right now. Let me know if you feel it still looks funky. Before I edited my save, the checkup said I did indeed have them all, the 3 walnuts from the game never touched my body which is why I no longer had hints. I would have gotten a hint for the others I missed. I'm prepared to come back and do this step later incase I goofed it up.

Thank you SO much for your reply. I wanted to include what I did/didn't do to document for anyone else having this rare issue.

I honestly wasn't sure if you needed to change that tag too. My guess was that the game first set the markers of the specific walnuts found, including <goldenWalnutsFound>, leaving <goldenWalnuts> (your wallet amount) for when you physically touched the walnuts. After all, I did have to change it, but of course I was fiddling with a consistent savestate from the start. Nice eye on your part.

Now I think you'd only need to worry about Qi's room not detecting you having 100% of the walnuts. Check the cat screen in the room, if it shows you having 100% of the walnuts (or 130, or just Yes, don't remember which style of answer reported), then I don't think you have anything to worry about your savestate. Still, hold onto that backup just in case.

1iJay

Newcomer
Now I think you'd only need to worry about Qi's room not detecting you having 100% of the walnuts. Check the cat screen in the room, if it shows you having 100% of the walnuts (or 130, or just Yes, don't remember which style of answer reported), then I don't think you have anything to worry about your savestate. Still, hold onto that backup just in case.
Simon says mini game completed just now! I checked in Qi room and I can confirm it now says 130/130 found! Thank you so much Lao for your assistance and reply. Ill edit this reply later to show my updated SDV checker file.

And of course, I'm hanging on to that backup! Thank you!

Edit: Added updated checker file

GW130130.PNG

Last edited: