Writing Bobbi? I suppose...

Lew Zealand

Helper
There were recipes (survival burger - good product naming on that one) and tips (efficient axe techniques for getting more wood with less effort) in the farming book, but it wasn't so much of a how-to or an almanac. Instead it was laid out as more of a story, as if the intent was to assure that the reader took their time and enjoyed the experience instead of hurrying to the most expedient conclusion. Every time you finish a task, there will always be another one to follow, so rushing through it stressing about getting the next thing done is utterly missing the point. Enjoying the task and taking the time to fully understand its meaning is what's important. A useful side effect of finding the most comfortable and efficient way of doing things is that the farmer conserves their energy for the actual important things in life.

Relaxation. Conversation. Naps.

Hmmm, this one wasn't checked out of the library and left in a dust heap, why is that? Farmers here in too much of a hurry?

Waitaminute.

I'm the only farmer here. There are no other fields in town, I've pretty much walked all the accessible parts unless they're farming mutant monsters in the sewers or something. Does Pierre buy stuff from out of town and what's his markup? I should probably plant a little wider variety of crops to get things moving as 15 parsnips and some forage doesn't do much for the economy.

The fishing and foraging books belonged to the same series, with recipes and tips but mostly stories featuring helpful ways to cast a line or pop onions out of the ground with a minimum of effort. There was much to learn so Bobbi took it slow (hey, the books told me to!). Nose deep in the farming book, she became aware of the faintest scent of poppy seeds.

Looking up, Penny was standing close by and smiled when Bobbi made eye contact.

"Hi Bobbi! I didn't think I'd see you in the Library but farmers need to take some time off on the weekends too, right?

"Hi Penny." Bobbi was caught off guard as she'd been engrossed in her farming stories, so the truth slipped right out. "There nothing to do on the farm right now as it's raining and I have nothing else to plant." At which point Bobbi remembered she could buy seeds from Pierre with the g from Gunther if he was still open. What time was it anyway?

"Oh of course, what was I thinking?" Penny looked a little annoyed with herself. "You only arrived from the city a week ago." A pause. "It seems like you've been here longer... a part of the town."

"Thanks Penny," Bobbi said with a smile. "I'm still getting sorted here but it's been fun so far."

"This place is so small, what's it like living in Zuzu City?" Penny's gaze was intent, this was her real question.

Again caught off guard, Bobbi paused for a second and absently scratched the back of her neck. "Lots of people in a hurry to do things. Not necessarily good or bad things, though of course some of each, but..." looking at the book in her hand, "not taking enough time to enjoy what's happening right now. I'm sure some people are, but the whole thing feels dominated by being here," Bobbi pointed to Penny's feet, "but needing-- wanting actually, to be there," Bobbi pointed to the door. Pointing back to Penny's feet, Bobbi finished, "they're forgetting to appreciate the here."

Penny started to say something but instead she turned pink and involuntarily took a step back. Finally an "Oh..." came out followed by, "that doesn't sound so great."

Seeing Penny out of sorts, Bobbi added, "I'm probably making it out to be worse than it is, but you can be sure that I like it here way better." Penny's smile returned.

"I'm glad to hear that, Bobbi," Penny said as Bobbi started to reshelve the books she'd been reading.

"And thanks for reminding me Penny, I forgot to buy seeds and Pierre might still be open."

"Oh don't be late, I'll see you again soon, Bobbi!" Penny called with a small wave.

"See you soon, Penny!" Bobbi replied with a wave as she left the Library.

Arriving at Pierre's, Bobbi could afford all of 3 cauliflower seeds and completely forgot to plan for potatoes. There's always tomorrow. Scanning her scarecrow recipe Bobbi realized she hadn't seen any crows. Are they eating my crops right now? Do they not like rain and I've just been incredibly lucky?

Back at the farm she planted the seeds, made the scarecrow, and a campfire to go along with it so she could watch for crows. That bridge is gonna wait even longer. And it'll probably wash out at the first storm after I make it anyway, probably not bother. Bobbi arranged her tools in a decent loadout with the field snacks and emergency daffodil rations in case of townies.

It was still light so she cleared a path to the south of the farm with the scythe and pick and headed to the forest. This time she noticed the sign.

Farm --- Town

Wow. That could not have less information on it and still be arguably relevant. I must truly appreciate the low effort that went into making that. Bobbi wasn't sure if she was being sarcastic or not.

Heading over the bridges, Bobbi picked some forage including a Dandelion, no chance of finding Penny again today but that will be keeping the daffodils company. She cut a few trees from the thicker areas, but leaving the stumps in a public forest seemed disrespectful so she removed those as well. OK, that was too much, time to chill.

As the cloudy sky darkened to evening, Bobbi walked past the dilapidated house, a scary looking tower (srsly, what is that?) and around the top of the lake with the hair on the back of her neck standing at attention. OK I think that was exactly the wrong (or right?) time to do that. It's probably just fine during the day...

There were worn divots, almost tracks in the grass near the north fence. Like something is frequently left there but was missing today. Maybe come back and check sometime, probably just aliens anyway.

Noting the dock in the small lake, Bobbi took a few casts and was rewarded with a broken Joja CD and driftwood. That seemed to take far longer than expected and Bobbi couldn't rule out any napping between casts, during which time the fish probably grabbed junk from the bottom of the lake and tied it to her line. Never mind then, stick to town fishing. Well, at least the driftwood looked interesting.

Bobbi was once again saved by luck as her clearing a farm path and lit campfire were essential in getting home before midnight. Sorting her things, she still didn't have a ton of wood. Gazing tiredly at the cave carrots, they kinda did look like food. Maybe. As a last resort in the mines.

But not now. Now is for sleep.

Lew Zealand

Helper
A noisy, drumming wakeup call in the little farmhouse announced there was yet more rain today. Ok that explains the lack of sprinklers and window coverings, but much more of this and I’m either heading back to the city or building an ark. Absently considering which 2 townies she’d resort to stuffing in her imaginary boat along with lizards and slimes, Bobbi decided that finding trouble would be a good use of her day.

In the mailbox, Robin had left a note suggesting she could build a well for Bobbi on the farm. Maybe the weather’s different all the way up in The Mountains but a well was just about the last thing Bobbi needed. These people need to take some business classes, maybe that’s something Clint can do on the side as he seems so concerned.

Lewis left 100g for Bobbi in the bin for building the first scarecrow he’d seen in 20 years, reminding him of when he was younger. LOL younger, not young. And there seems to be more than a little free flow of discretionary funds ‘round this place. What else are these funds playing for?

The field snack netted Bobbi 20g, worthless- keep for food. Scythe the soggy kale, pick the potato. One potato. Potatoes are usually plural, what’s with the defective potatoes?

Bobbi chopped some trees and performed her zen ritual weed scything (this is not the trouble I was thinking of) and planted the resulting mixed seeds. Figuring she had enough wood and lacking anything else to do with it, Bobbi headed for the beach.

The rest of the morning was spent trying to remember a video game she’d played years ago, and it was all about triangles. She rebuilt the footbridge using this design and while it didn’t look great, it held her weight. Maybe only one person should be on here at a time.

One small person.

Once across, Bobbi picked up some purple beach forage and caught sight of a very suspicious person standing up the beach, nestled in the reeds. Giving him a wide berth, she headed for the dock with an occasional peek over her shoulder.

The bridge was out until a half hour ago. How did he get there? I didn’t see a boat but didn’t check the whole area. Does he live here? Am I trespassing? OK, how about just do some fishing?

A sardine.

All that wood and effort for a sardine. And now I own a stump farm. A flounder? Ok, that’s at least different, and actually a familiar fish for once. Willy bought it for 100g and the sea urchin was 200g, pretty good! With barely any time left, Bobbi slipped into Pierre’s, sold her farm pickings and bought kale and cauliflower seeds until she was broke. 9 total, that’s almost OK.

Back outside shortly after 5pm, The Great Migration had begun. Bobbi imagined hiding behind a bush, wielding a video camera with low, steady narration describing the inherent beauty of the flow of Nature:

As the wildebeests congregate around the newly replenished watering hole during the torrential downpour of the long-awaited rainy season, the predators lie in wait. They too have learned to be patient as the herd follows the ever-dwindling patches of spent grass left over from the previous year. But no longer. There will be competition from all sides, let’s see who will win out!

Unable to contain herself, Bobbi snorted and started giggling as what appeared to be most of the town headed for the Stardrop Saloon. Late Sunday afternoon, I guess that's how this place rolls. However, Alex didn’t seem to be heading that way so Bobbi stopped for a chat.

“Heya, um, Bobbi.” Alex looked a bit glum.

“Hi Alex, what’s up?”

“This rain is killing my training regimen, I was supposed to ride to coach’s workout yesterday but there’s no way I’m doing that through the mountains with this rain.”

“Cool, what are you training for, a bike race?”

“Bike?-- oh, hahahaha!” This was clearly wrong as Alex was truly laughing. ”No, heh, way better than that. I’m buffing up for the Gridball draft! Coach says that with some dedicated effort I could be in shape for next year’s! The bike is just to get the next town over where the weekly training camps are. Plus the ride is great for my legs.” He leaned in to Bobbi,” as long as I eat enough eggs first!”

“Ah, so you’ve got egg legs, then?” quipped Bobbi.

“Heh, good one!” nodded Alex.

“Yeah, gridball was super popular on the other side of Zuzu--“ Bobbi started.

“Hey, did you catch any Cannons games? I’ve never made it out to watch in person, hopefully one day I’ll do it...” his voice dropped a bit, “walking out onto the field.” Alex’s eyes were closed, head tilted up, rain streaming down his face. He was having a moment.

“That’s a great goal Alex, I hope you get there soon.” Bobbi said softly. She was grateful for the stream of consciousness since she’d never made it to a Cannons game as they were competition for fans. And notably better competition once Bobbi’s attitude had started to take a nosedive.

“I gotta go in and help grandma and gramps with dinner, see ya Bobs!” Alex clapped Bobbi on the shoulder, knocking her forward, and ran to the house. Bobs, huh? OK, Alexs. Bah, that doesn’t work.

Thinking about the conversation, Bobbi wondered if grandma was Granny/Evelyn but she hadn’t meet a grandpa yet.

And! Alex likes eggs.

I have no eggs. Nor chickens. Or a barn or whatever you keep chickens in. A coop! Once again that will happen later, muuuuch later.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Unsure whether she was going to remember eggs and wondering if mentioning them in conversation at random times would at least prove entertaining, Bobbi headed into the <eggs> Saloon.

Hey, this place is actually busy. Late Sunday afternoon, I guess that’s how social gatherings roll ‘round here, and it’s not like there’s some 8am work day being forced on anyone. Intercepting Pam on the way to the bar, she offered Bobbi some advice.

“Howdy kid, if you want to make it to my age, slow down and stay outta the rain. But if you gotta get wet, best to end your day here warming up with a pint of Gus’ finest!” Turning to Gus, she hollered, “Oi Gus, 2 pints down to my spot!”

“No thanks Pam, I’m trying to remember some things and that’s not gonna help.”

“Suit yourself, kid. I know what to do with ‘em!” and Pam bumped Bobbi on her shoulder with a jocular fist. Past Pam’s end of the bar was someone Bobbi hadn’t seen in a few days and whose name she barely remembered.

“Hi Leah, I missed you around town this week.”

“Hi Bobbi, it's good to see you again," Leah said with an easy smile. "Oh I can't stand going out in the rain, though if I could paint in it, it might be OK. For me, rainy days are the inspiration to get my hands dirty. Sunny days are my opportunity to imagine and experience and find new viewpoints. But the mallet hits the chisel when it rains!"

"Wow, I didn't know anyone here was into creating art," Bobbi said with a surprised look. "Did you come here for the creative opportunities?"

"Well, not directly," Leah said, seeming a little guarded. "But I needed a change of scenery and this place has lots of great views. The outdoors are what to live for here... when it's less damp out."

"Oh I agree, even the Farm is a fun place while scything weeds," mused Bobbi. "It's very therapeutic, gets you to your calm place."

"That sounds nice, if a bit sweaty."

"I'll try it out on an actual sunny day and let you know!" volunteered Bobbi. "I'm gonna bug Mr. Grumpy over there because I'm up to it right now," Bobbi said, nodding in Grump's direction.

"Shane? Yeah, he's not the most personable, I wouldn't choose to hang out with him but who knows, right?" volunteered Leah.

"Here's where I could choose to be smooth," said Bobbi, "and roll with that new information but it's more fun to admit that I've seen him 4 times and talked to him twice and hadn't gotten his name yet. Next time I need inside information, I know who to come to." Bobbi winked at Leah.

"Yeah that might not work out for you," Leah mentioned with a wry smile, "as I'm a little less connected to this town than some people, since Shane and I are the newest people here. Well, were, until you arrived!"

"Not many new arrivals, then?"

"No, after me there's was nobody for a while..." Leah paused for a bit, in thought, and then things started spilling out. "It wasn't great being the new person for so long but I think that was mostly in my head. People were perfectly nice, I just didn't feel that I fit in to the group of people my age. They all went to school together so they had that long time bond." Another pause. "And I didn't."

"But then lately, it's my impression that some people are drifting apart, and Elliot mentioned that he'd left for a while and came back. Talking with him, he felt something similar as he was the oldest and thought everyone else might have been annoyed he left. Like he'd abandoned them, their group." Suddenly self-conscious, Leah added, "I-- I don't know, I shouldn't speak for Elliot, and he's not here tonight."

"But then Shane showed up and I realized I actually had it pretty good here." Leah looked straight at Bobbi. "Pretty damn good. This place is great." There was an unfamiliar fire in Leah's eyes.

Breaking eye contact, Leah continued, "Marnie encourages Shane and he participates but it's not all there. People talk to him but he's kind of halfhearted. Like...," a very long pause. Bobbi didn't dare interrupt. "Like he wants to be part of the community but that... maybe he sees it as a risk or something." Leah rolled her eyes, "and there I go again, I shouldn't speak for Shane either. That's what I get for ordering an extra glass of wine."

"Hey thanks for sharing all of that, your experiences, that's really valuable to me," Bobbi said softly. And she changed her tone. "However! Sorry Leah, but you've failed to deter me," Bobbi said, putting on an intentionally obvious faux front. "I'll head over and annoy him anyway. See ya Leah!"

That rhymes. Don't do that again.

"Good luck, Bobbi!" encouraged Leah. And under her breath, "you're gonna need it."

Not sure what had gotten into her, probably seeing Leah again and associated good conversation, Bobbi meandered her way to the other end of the bar and approached Shane. Before she got there, she remembered <eggs>. Don't forget!

"Hi Shane," Bobbi said as casually as she could muster.

"Hi." Shane replied, noncommittally. "I don't think I told you my name."

Bobbi pointed indiscriminately around the Saloon. "Some of these people knew it and helped me out."

"Well maybe you should talk to them some more, I like to think. By myself. Not much of a talker," and finished the thought with a swig of beer.

"I like to think, too" Bobbi said. "Sometimes it even makes sense. If you come up with something interesting I wouldn't mind hearing it. See you around." Bobbi's nerve had come and gone so she let him be.

"Mmmm," was all Shane could muster along with a slight head bob as Bobbi headed around the bar to bug Emily. I guess that wasn't bad, I wonder what he thinks about? Planning on getting out of here, starting a business, something about <eggs>? Good, haven't forgotten yet!

Why am I remembering <eggs> again?

"Hi Bobbi!" As usual, Emily was all smiles and Bobbi realized that she'd probably come this way to clear a bit of the Shane sullenness out of her system. Leaning on the bar, she asked, "hey, have you got any sheep in your barn? Their wool is just about the best thing for making cloth we get in the Valley. I should come visit you at the farm and see how it's looking!" Bobbi then noticed Emily was a bit of a close talker. With her ever-present sunny disposition and no shortage of bright blue hair, that made her simultaneously captivating and slightly overwhelming to talk to.

"Uh, yeah the farm is a soggy mess thanks to the, uh, wonderful weather you get here." Bobbi's brain seemed to have missed a step and she was struggling to get it back in gear. "Wait, I don't even have a barn, I need to ask Robin if she can build one and it'll probably cost an arm and a leg."

"I hope you don't keep the sheep outside then!" Emily said with an expression of mixed concern and horror.

"Ha, no Emily, no sheep or anything remotely that interesting on the farm yet," Bobbi said with a laugh. "Just a muddy patch of random vegetables I hope to sell to Pierre." Bobbi paused. "The vegetables, not the mud. The mud's all mine."

More smiles from Emily. "I like talking to you, Bobbi, it's refreshing to have another new person in the Valley. ...and it's the weather we have here, you're part of the we now." Emily bumped Bobbi on the arm with her elbow.

"Is Shane part of the we?" asked Bobbi, looking to the far end of the bar.

"You know," Emily started, "I see him almost every night but we've barely said anything to each other. I see him watching the other people here but I can't read his face. But he wouldn't come here if he didn't want to be a part of the community," reasoned Emily.

"I mean, he could just be here for the beer, right?" suggested Bobbi.

"Yeah, maybe," Emily said with an unfamiliar smirk on her face. She was soon lost in thought. "But I don't feel that. He'll come around."

"Hopefully before too many rounds," Bobbi said with a sidelong glance at Emily.

Emily had a wan smile on her face. "Close, almost a good one." Another elbow to the arm. "Gus is giving me the look, I gotta go. See you soon, Bobbi!" And she headed over to get Harvey a drink.

Lew Zealand

Helper
As soon as Harvey got his order in, Bobbi sat down next to him at the bar with a, “How’re you doing, Harvey?”

“I’m alright, Bobbi, but business is a bit slow now that the weather is nicer,” and Harvey caught himself. “In Spring, after Winter! Not with this rain, of course.” Harvey cracked a self-conscious smile. “Sam’s allergies will be pretty nonexistent for the next few days, until the flower bloom afterwards.” He pulled out a small pad and made a note. “Sorry Bobbi, Doctor-Patient confidentiality, you know.”

“Do you only see people from Pelican Town, is this place big enough for that?” asked Bobbi.

Harvey glanced around the bar. “No, not really. There’s the occasional person from neighboring towns when their GP is on vacation, and I try to be accommodating to maybe expand my patient base but people rarely want to make the longer trip. I tell them to enjoy the drive over, take in the wonderful scenery, especially in the Fall." Harvey smiled and raised his eyebrows. "It’s a bit of a stretch but mostly true.”

“Any takers?”

“One or two, but people stick with what they’re used to," Harvey admitted. "Hard to compete with that. Maybe I can open another office elsewhere a couple of days a week or even fill an existing gap in someone else’s practice.”

“But we wouldn’t lose you here, right?” Bobbi asked, perhaps only just a little bit concerned.

“Oh no, I love it here," Harvey said reassuringly, "the small-town atmosphere is why I came back. If I spent all my time in bigger towns or cities... well, I already did that at school, internship, residency. And here I am!” A pause. “And here you are, am I right that you made a similar choice, too?”

“Yeah... but not an active choice like you did.” Bobbi considered the Bobbi of a few weeks ago. ”I didn’t just decide one day that the city attitude wasn’t right, it was pure luck. Serendipity. I had to be whacked upside the head to realize there was another option.” She pause to consider for a second. “Grandpa gave me a sealed note a while ago and asked me not to open it. Yeah weird, huh? Take this but don’t open it until just the right time, I’m being mysteeeeerious!” Bobbi was making faces intentionally to make Harvey laugh now. It was working quite well, probably aided by his drink.

“Anyhow, I came across the note again much later and it hit me that that right time was happening just then." Bobbi paused a moment. "I’m somewhat annoyed that Grandpa was right. But not too much, because he was right. I didn’t know what to expect here. I still don’t.“ Bobbi’s thoughts were stilted, there was something more she wanted to say but she was getting tired and brain was signaling that the bed was out of range.

“Well, I’m glad you came to live here, for me and for everyone here. I barely remember your Grandpa, I was very young when he left, but it sounds like he did a good thing for everyone giving you that spoooooky note.” Harvey waved his hands to and fro along with his description. It was not entirely natural, but cute in it’s own way. He was trying. “You look tired, please head home and get some good rest, doctor’s orders for a healthy tomorrow.”

“Thanks, Harvey. I’ll just say hi to Abigail and Sebastian and get home. I’ll see you soon.”

“Bye, Bobbi”

Bobbi passed Willy on the way there but went over to the pool table first.

“Seen any frogs today, Bobbi?” asked Sebastian.

“Well, sometimes when cutting weeds," Bobbi indicated the scythe poking out the top of her pack, don't leave home without it! "They’re always about 10 feet ahead of me and heading the opposite direction, fast.”

“Hey, keep that thing away from them!" Sebastian exclaimed in an apparently rare burst of concern. Which quickly faded. "Well, no worry really, you need to be real quiet to sneak up on them.”

“Eh, so I’m still too noisy now?” Bobbi said, clomping around on the wooden floor in a loud, exaggerated manner. Sebastian just shook his head. “Something wrong Abigail?” asked Bobbi.

“I’m putting off some work, looks like it’s going to be yet another all-nighter.” Abigail didn't look overly concerned, just not her regular rainy-day self.

“You going to school locally here or in a close by town?”

“Nah, where’ve you been Bobbi?" Abigail asked in mock surprise. "I’m taking classes online, it’s cheaper and I can save money on room n’ board staying at home. It kinds makes my parents happy too, though I’m not sure I like that all the time.” Sebastian had returned to practicing his pool shots and wasn’t paying attention. Abigail motioned Bobbi to lean closer, which she did. “And I think Seb and Sam were relieved when I stayed,” an annoyed face followed this, “not like you can tell most of the time,” she murmured.

Abigail brightened and pulled away, “But all-nighters aren’t so bad, I like 'em because I get my best work done around midnight and after, which just drives my parents crazy. It’s a great way to get them outta my hair-- mention at 9pm that I have a project due tomorrow. They just retreat to their room in frustration, and I’m free to actually get things done!" A big sigh. "Speaking of which...” Abigail got up to leave.

“I should go, too,” Sebastian said, and Abigail glanced towards him. “The peepers should be out by now and I don’t want to miss ‘em.” Abigail rolled her eyes a bit, smirked, and looked at Bobbi. “See you tomorrow.” And they headed out.

“See you guys.” Bobbi said.

Bobbi stopped near Willy on the way to the door to say “Hi,” but Willy was on his way out, too.

“Just stopped in for a quick warm-up before a long cold night out on the sea." Noting Bobbi's bamboo pole protruding from the pack, Willy stuck a thumb out in it's general direction. "How’s that pole treating you, and don’t forget to sell me anything you catch as I can sell that on in other ports. Maybe create some more demand.”

“Willy," Bobbi started in an official manner, "the only way I’m not going to sell you whatever I catch as quickly as possible, is if you’re closed. I like you but I really don’t need to be smelling of fish.”

“Understood, Miss. I don’t smell a thing when it comes to fish. If anything, it’s just the smell o’ gold to me!”

“Agreed! Take care, Willy.”

“And yourself, Miss” They headed out of the Saloon in opposite directions. It occurred to Bobbi that it was earlier than she thought, regardless of Harvey’s admonishments, so she took the long way home to do a bit of fishing for gold, to use Willy’s vernacular. She caught 3 blue fish but after she hooked some crazy sea monster or whatever which almost immediately got away, she gave up and headed home. And remembered the Pierre seeds in her pack.

After placing the fish in the bin (sorry Willy, bad timing), and quickly planting the seeds (thank you, rain), Bobbi remembered something out of the blue. She had a fertilizer recipe. And it was easy, just some tree sap which she had a royal abundance of. Adding that to today’s plantings, she trudged to bed for the first time after midnight.

Abigail’s probably just hitting her stride right now. She’s crazy. As Bobbi drifted off to sleep, she wondered what the fertilizer might do. Bigger crops, faster growing ones? Both? Mutant monster plants that rise up and slay their owner? The line between awake and sleep was a fuzzy one and Bobbi’s dreams were populated by a wonder scaryland of anthropomorphic vegetables alternately raiding the town and being beaten eaten by Shane and Leah.

Dr. eeL

Farmer
Keep it up Lew, you're doing great. Having two running stories, makes it easier for me to keep going too. Maybe between the two of us we can attract lots of readers.

Lew Zealand

Helper
It was not too quiet outside, instead it was the quiet that Bobbi had been expecting for a few days. Calm sun streaming through the windows but, ah, yeah a bit more work to do on the Farm today. I’m sure I remember where the watering can is. On the farm. Somewhere.

It’s in the ugly box! Of course it is, just forgot...

More mail. Hmmm, I never got this much mail in Zuzu, I suppose I never did enough to warrant any mail. OK, I never did anything to warrant mail like this. Mail from a ‘mouse’. Selling hats from an old haus. Lol, which old house? Bring coines, poke.

I need to have a chat with Marlon, that dude’s got a funny sense of humor. Hey, credit where credit’s due, he’s keeping it entertaining. There was 168g for Bream in the bin, better than smelling like the shoreline!

Bobbi did the now-traditional morning seed hunt, chopped a few trees, scythed a few weeds (they never had a chance), and dumped the proceeds in the box. Lol, and I almost forgot to actually water. That done and it was off to Robin’s to see how many years I’ll need to chop and save for that kitchen. Note: do not mention the well, I never got that note. Uh, the mouse ate it.

On the way there Bobbi unearthed some rice shoots north of the Bus stop. Just how much rain did we get over the past 5 days to germinate rice in the woods?

Robin had loads of options for upgrading the house: a coop, barn, silo, and more, including the kitchen addition for 10,000 g and 450 wood. And I just spent more than half that wood on that useless beach bridge to free the creepy guy from the forbidden beach prison. He’s now wandering about town selling counterfeit watches and I’m poor again. Great choice there, Bobbi. Bobs. Eyeroll.

Robin and Bobbi talked shop for a bit when she mentioned fixing the beach bridge (omitting the bit about the fake Rolex salesman), and Robin mentioned that her proudest bit of woodcraft was building her mountain home. Sensing that this was yet another work pitch and not wanting to seem quite the poor a planner she actually was, Bobbi excused herself and headed over to Maru, who was working in the kitchen.

When she entered Bobbi realized that it was a little too clean, even for a kitchen. And well-stocked. With appliances utterly unfamiliar to Bobbi. Almost like a lab. OK I’m slow, this is Demetrius’ lab and the lack of a dishwasher isn’t actually a lifestyle choice.

“Hi Bobbi,” said Maru.

Uprooted from her thoughts, Bobbi responded with a lame, “Uh, Hi Maru.”

“Oh right, this is your first time here, yeah that could be a bit surprising.” Maru laughed, “this used to be mom’s kitchen until dad completely took it over. It wasn’t all bad though, as it just gave mom an excuse to design more of the house and make kitchen 2.0 even better than 1.0. And now we have a long hallway for family pictures!” She lowered her voice slightly, “there are even some of Seb on the wall, though I can’t tell if he’s more annoyed that there aren’t enough of him, or there are any at all.”

“Wow, this looks like a cool setup,” admired Bobbi. “What are you working on?”

“I’m preparing a few things for dad while he grabs a bite to eat. Really, I’m just taking a break from banging on stuff in the basement.” Maru sighed. “I’m stuck and needed a change of scenery.” Raising an eyebrow, Maru asked, “have you built anything on your farm, Bobbi? A fence or a file cabinet? Maybe a spaceship?”

Bobbi snorted and started laughing. “Ah, no I ran out of parts. Let’s see, I have a very stylish wood box to put my stuff in. If ‘ugly’ is a style, that is. Oh! And a... scarecrow.” Wow, that ended up sounding quite unimpressive.

“Oh cool, so you’re crafty with things like mom.”

“Yeah, only when someone writes out really well-detailed instructions,” Bobbi said a little self-consciously. “Really that reflects very positively on those directions, there are some good crafty books in the library.”

“Don’t sell yourself short Bobbi, we’re both short enough already.”

Two sets of bugged eyes and arched eyebrows stared at each other in mild surprise for about 2 seconds and they both dissolved in laughter. A line was deliberately crossed together with tongues firmly in cheek.

Demetrius strolled in and asked what the joke was. “Never mind, dad. You’re too tall to get it.” Some more snorts and giggles. Demetrius merely shook his head slightly and asked Maru if she was ready to help. “Sure dad, I’ll talk to you later Bobbi!” Maru said, tilting her head slightly at Demetrius behind his back.

“See you soon, Maru!” Bobbi waved and walked out.

I need money and materials for practically everything and I’ll bet that’s not going to change anytime soon. What’s the best plan? Fish? Mine? Farm?

Yes?

Fishing and mining only cost time and energy. Mining might cost health, too but then it may be more lucrative. Wandering closer to the lake and its associated mine, Bobbi spied an older man in seemingly self-made clothing and headed over to chat with him. Linus lives in the wilderness by choice as he loves the crisp air. He also seem nervous near me and walked away quickly so I’ll probably not bother him much any more.

Seemingly having made her mind up, Bobbi entered the cave, putting her non-mining stuff in the mine box before heading down to 5. Windmilling around with her rusty toothpick, she took out a couple of slimes but not before getting slimed by one of them.

Yeauuuuuck! Phbttbhtbtbbt! Bleah! Not cool! Not sure if I smell worse after carrying dead fish around, working all day cutting trees, or being doused in animated jello guts. Maybe I can do a fashion show in town displaying all the latest stench trends and get voted off the island.

Or one day I can work up to doing all 3 and drive everyone else out of the Valley. Maybe corner the market on nose clothespins and make enough g to afford something from Robin.

All done Bobbi? OK, time to concentrate again as now you’ve pickaxed a second ladder down while not paying attention.

Next level was just stones. Pickaxe until one moved and Bobbi whacked it into submission, carving a crab out of the stone-looking shell. That could actually be decent food, I need to keep that around. Turning around, to her great satisfaction, Bobbi grabbed the shiny brown thing that had eluded her days ago. She needn’t have worried as she found more of them with assorted slimes and quartz on the levels down. She even found an orange and purple stone guarded by a slime but was able to snatch it and head down a ladder before it caught her. She got to level 10, but not before getting slimed again. Does it even matter after the first?

There was a chest in the middle of a small room, sitting slightly ajar. Poking it with her (t)rusty stick, she popped it open and peered inside. There was a well-made pair of leather boots which looked a lot more useful than her worn sneakers. Swapping them, Bobbi felt maybe slightly better protected, at least up to her ankles. Checking out the elevator, she estimated there was time to take a peek down the ladder. There could be something down there that matches my outfit and it just wouldn’t do to miss out on that!

Spotting a blue slime, it was time to turn tail, but knocking a rock near to the ladder during the retreat resulted in a ladder down. This place is teasing me. OK, maybe just one more...

There was a brightly lit minecart track, and following it to the end Bobbi found some coal in the cart and yet another extant ladder. Surely there’s still time. She took a peek, grabbed some copper ore near the ladder and hightailed it out of the mine, heart beating quickly. There were a lot of shiny things in that room, all guarded by slimes and other things which looked ready to pounce. That’s a task for another week...

Pack full, Bobbi left some less useful things in the mine box and ran home. 11:30pm, what to sell?

Remembering that Penny had eyed the dandelion, and her varied luck randomly giving out daffodils, Bobbi thought that maybe she could carry the shiny brown thing, yellow thing and quartz around and see if anyone looked interested. Except she couldn’t think of an excuse why a normal person would do that. Flowers almost seem reasonable to carry, but a bunch of multicolored rocks? Grumbling, Bobbi thought, how do I find what people like?

Sell one of the brown shiny things, keep the yellow thing and quartz. Maybe donate the duplicates to the Archaeology Library place? Sell the forage except for one of each. Nobody wants horseradishes or leeks.

Off to bed.

Bobbi dreamed of produce. It was weird because she hadn’t produced much at all on the farm, and dreamland made it all look like oversized apples. I don’t even have any oversized fruit trees yet...

Lew Zealand

Helper
Bobbi awoke to visions of sugarplums dancing in her head. As her slowly sharpening perception chased away the clouds of sleep, she realized the dancing fruit was more apple-shaped, but that faded quickly to nothingness as she sat up in bed. What? Stupid dreams, can't remember anything because they mean nothing.

Grumbling her way out of bed, Bobbi headed outside to water and pull parsnips. I didn't plant parsnips. Oh, the mixed seeds! Hey, those are kinda OK. Looking around at the other bits of greens growing from her microfarm, Bobbi noticed many of the leaves looked different. OK, I wonder what everything else is gonna be? It's like the Day of the Winter Star!

But with vegetables instead of remote control cars and video game consoles.

*Sigh* I'll take what I can get, thought Bobbi. The brown Earth Crystal sold for 50g and the forage a couple hundred, maybe hold on to the Earth Crystals unless I get a lot of 'em. The mail declared that Willy had a deluxe fishing pole and bait awaiting Bobbi, all for a semi-affordable price. While considering what it was going to cost, Bobbi remembered Clint and that she could now make a furnace.

A few hours later, one makeshift furnace was smelting up a couple of copper bars from the leftover ore and for the first time in a while, Bobbi felt she'd accomplished something. But she was at a crossroads:

Go to bed and call it a perfect day or risk almost certain disaster and do something else?

Stupid sun.

I could totally hit the sack if it was raining but noooooo, that was all used up last week. Bleah. She did another seed hunt and chopped a couple of stumps out as the farm was transforming from a giant fire hazard into a clearcut wasteland, and it was obvious that each looked worse than the other. Needing a change of scenery, Bobbi headed into town.

Casually strolling to the park, Bobbi picked a daffodil and waved it about on the off chance that any Haleys were within view but all she spotted was a feral Lewis stalking one of the local buildings. Audibly grumbling to herself, she walked up to Lewis in front of the park's version of local blight, wondering if this was the haus that Marlon, er... the hat mouse was referring to.

"Oh, Hi Bobbi. I didn't see you there," Lewis said. You mean I could have escaped? I just came over here because I thought you saw me. Bobbi barely suppressed an eyeroll.

"Hi Lewis, got a dinosaur trapped in there?" Bobbi asked, noting the padlock and forcing a bit of joviality.

"Wha-- no, just considering my options for this local eyesore," said Lewis with a sigh.

"Oh, so my farm has a little competition in that arena, yes?" Bobbi remarked. "This could look a treat with a coat of paint. The farm on the other hand would just end up looking like blue brambles and stumps."

"I'm afraid that this place needs a bit more than paint, Bobbi," mused Lewis. "The Community Center used to be bustling with activity, the pride and joy of the town. But now it's ended up in this shameful state. I'm not sure what happened." Lewis paused. "Maybe as the older generation in town settled into their lives, they just stopped coming by as often and soon enough hardly at all. Younger people seem to be scattered about on their own doing this and that, I rarely see them at all. And never here."

"Maybe they're all parked in front of their TVs or playing video games instead of making a community. Living in their own bubbles." Lewis removed his cap and scratched at his thinning hair. "I'm just an old guy remembering how things used to be. Life changes and so do the people who live it. Maybe it's time to move on and just sell this place."

"Sell to who?" asked Bobbi, a bit surprised. "Who'd want to buy it?" Ooo, that sounded rude. Recover! "Is someone else coming to town who wants a fixer-upper for cheap?"

"They're already here." Bobbi started to look around but Lewis' words froze her motions. "It's Joja Corporation. Morris has been at me ever since setting up shop on the far side of town. They want the land to build a warehouse here. Morris says it'll help the town as more money will end up in the local economy which we all can use," Lewis paused with an appraising look on his face. "But I've kind of been hanging on to this place. It used to mean something to the town, well, apparently more to me than anyone else." Lewis sighed. "I suppose I'm just attached to my memories here."

Straightening up a bit, Lewis continued, "I think I'm going to leave it up to the rest of town as I have an opinion and Joja a different one, but it's really the community's choice as it's their building. If someone else buys into the Joja Membership Club, then I'll just sell."

"Thing is, I'm not sure what will convince me to keep it." Lewis' brow furrowed and he fumbled through his pockets, eventually producing a key. "Want to have a look-see inside?"

"It's a little early in the year for a Spirit's Eve haunted house but seeing as it's morning, I think I'll deal with it," quipped Bobbi.

The darkness inside was deeper than Bobbi had anticipated, especially after the crystalline bright blue skies outside. There was a smell of mustiness and a few shafts of light were poking their way in through grimy, vine-covered windows. As her vision adjusted to the gloom, Bobbi could make out an entrance room with what once may have been work or play areas on either side. At the far end was a hut that seemed out of place and an empty tank which may have hosted fish in the past, but nowadays was likely more hospitable for a reptile or two. Hallways led off into the dark.

"Soooo, this was a Spirit's Eve house then and everyone forgot to take the decorations down?" asked Bobbi only half jokingly.

"No!" protested Lewis, a bit annoyed. "And it looks like Vincent and Jas have been playing house in here," Lewis continued, looking at the strange hut. "But I see what you mean, this place is even more dilapidated than I remember."

Yeah Lewis, places rarely become less dilapidated the longer you ignore them, thought Bobbi. The air was very heavy inside the old structure and in spite of a good night's sleep and it being early in the morning, Bobbi's head seemed slightly disconnected. Squinting though the copious floating dust motes clouding her vision, Bobbi thought she spotted something behind Lewis. She bugged her eyes out and shielded them from the glare to try to get a better view.

"What?" asked Lewis, turning around. "See something interesting?" Bobbi's head was swimming and she stepped awkwardly to the side. "Are you not feeling well?"

"No, no I thought I saw something... over there." Bobbi nodded her head towards the hut. The motion caused her vision to blur. "What's with my head?"

Lewis laughed, "Aaah, this old place is probably full of rats."

"Or mice selling hats?" Bobbi mumbled, rhyming without thinking.

"What?" responded Lewis, perplexed.

"Oh nothing," Bobbi said, coming to her senses again. "Marlon's been sending me joke mail and one of them was about a hat mouse in an old house."

Lewis's gaze defocused like he was remembering something, but looking past him Bobbi saw the thing again, yelped, and practically jumped out of her skin this time. Some good tricks in this haunted house! It didn't look like anything she recognized but yet was familiar in some way. Bobbi absently backed slowly towards the entrance, Lewis following, looking over his shoulder at the nothing that was there now.

"You're worrying me now, Bobbi." He paused and continued, "I don't feel great either. I think I need a bit of lunch at home, you should do the same. I'll leave this old place unlocked, maybe you can catch whatever rodents have been calling this place home if you have the time. Put them in the fish tank if you want." And Lewis walked out.

Bobbi stood at the entrance with the door propped open for a good long while. And saw nothing. Whatever happened, it seemed to be gone now. The dust had settled somewhat and slowly she discerned a glow coming from one of the hallways. Slowly, quietly, she walked towards and down the hallway as the glow became brighter. She saw nothing out of the ordinary until she rounded the corner to another room, when she thought she saw one of the... things... again but it quickly faded from view, drowned out by the source of light, a golden book. Am I imagining them? Is it the air in here?

It's the stupid mold spores in the soil isn't it? This is their source, all traced back to the old building from whence they escaped to engulf the world! I probably have Swiss cheese in my brain now, thanks to this place.

Well, more of it.

Approaching the book, Bobbi found that someone had scribbled some designs in it, though they were spaced like words. And not one single-letter word, so no chance of decoding it even if it was a simple cipher.

This is Marlon again isn't it? He's really running this town, playing with everyone, or maybe just the new people? I'll have to ask Leah or... maybe Shane if they got some of the same treatment. Maybe he does it differently for everyone. He probably has a cable show where he pranks people for fun, what a joker.

Keeping a careful eye out, Bobbi exited the room and the Community Center, not spotting anything else unusual. Must have tripped all the traps in the area already. No chance I'm heading down the other completely dark hallway, no sir!

Back outside in the warm, bright, head-clearing sun, Bobbi slowly meandered to Pierre's, turning over the morning's events in her head. And she suddenly remembered the shape.

That shape.

Mom's cat toy. The one on Grandpa's shelf next to the sword.

That's the weird thing in the old building! Pretty much, I mean. I didn't get a great look at it but they all have the same general shape. Ok, so does an apple but never mind. I didn't imagine them then, unless I was straight up hallucinating. ...let's just go with me seeing them and we can dispel that later if I never see them again.

Finding herself just about at the farm, Bobbi doubled back to Pierre's to sell whatever she found in her pack, just the parsnips for 100g as she couldn't think of anything else more complex this time. Too much brain business and too little brain.

Looking for a change of pace, Bobbi ended up at the Library and did some reading up on foraging, fishing and mining. She found reasonable recipes for bait (not buying from you, Willy!) and a cherry bomb, which she recognized as something she'd left in the box at the mines what seemed like days ago. Remembering mining, she had Clint crack a pair of geodes and back at the Museum, donated the calcite to the collection without thinking.

Only afterwards realized she could have kept or even sold it. Too much to think about.

Oddly not bothered about this, Bobbi headed back to town.

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
Walking towards the bridge, Bobbi spotted Sam and Penny chatting. She stopped absently and watched for a few seconds as they seemed to be enjoying each other's company. Hmmm, maybe not everyone is drifting apart in the town but as people change, getting a little older, things change along with them. Not necessarily bad, things aren't getting worse. Just different.

Bobbi noticed that Penny was waving her way and she broke out of her reverie to walk over.

"Bobbi, are you OK?" Penny asked, a bit concerned. "You were just sort of standing there like you were... in another world," Penny trailed off and looked slightly away. "Huh, actually I've been there myself, um, never mind," she finished with a smile.

"Hi Penny, actually I didn't want to intrude on your conversation and yeah," Bobbi agreed, "I was kind of somewhere else."

"Oh, you wouldn't be intruding on anything," Penny denied with a slight pink tinge to her face, "we were just chatting."

"Yeah Bobbi," Sam agreed. "Penny wa-, I mean we were just talking about stuff." Penny shot Sam a small annoyed look which Bobbi almost missed. Bobbi smiled inwardly thinking Sam was getting Penny's goat. She seems to take things seriously and Bobbi got the impression that Sam sat on the completely opposite end of that table.

"Well I'm tutoring Jas and Vincent today so I'll see you two later," and Penny headed towards town.

Sam turned towards the river and said, "It's nice to see you today, Bobbi." Sam wasn't much of a conversationalist, maybe he wasn't kidding Penny all that much. "You know, I took a part-time job at Joja Mart recently. It's kinda nice as I still have time to skate and play." As if realizing what he just said, Sam quickly added," play guitar, I mean!"

"Oh cool, how long you been playing?” A slight pause. “Guitar, you mean," Bobbi finished with a smile.

"Heh, nice. Uh about 3 years now, me 'n Seb 'n Abby practice together every week at least!" He sounded pretty proud of that but it occurred to Bobbi that maybe once a week wasn't great if you were going to take it seriously. Sam started walking slowly down to the river, Bobbi followed.

"Have you guys played in front of people or are you mostly, ah, studio musicians?" asked Bobbi.

"Yeah studio, we haven't played, uh, performed in front of anyone yet," offered Sam. They ended up next to the river somewhat hidden by bushes. "Hey Bobbi, I've been talking to Penny and she mentioned that you seemed pretty cool." He was looking a bit nervous, probably too much talking.

"Ah, did I pass some sort of test then? I don't need to make it up or ask for extra credit?” Bobbi asked, trying to lighten the mood.

"Oh, no way. No more school for me thanks, I got just enough of that," Sam explained. "No, this is about Joja, or something I kind of overheard..." Sam tilted his head to the side, trailing off.

"Kind of overheard?" Bobbi prodded.

"Yeah well, I guess not really kinda, that's not how that goes," Sam said with a laugh. "Anyway I was cleaning up a mess near Morris' station and heard him talking about adding a building here in Pelican Town. He kept talking business this and that, stuff like strategy and location and it'll be good for the town. I kinda couldn't hear everything as I only heard his voice sometimes and I was making too much noise sometimes. And then he saw I was near and I couldn't hear anything else." This all came out in a stream of consciousness.

Bobbi wasn't sure what to think. There’s Morris again, second time today. He seems involved in everything Joja around this place. Should I tell Sam about what Lewis said? Would he understand? Should I tell Lewis anything?? Bah, too many decisions...

"Bobbi?" Sam waved his hand in front of Bobbi's face.

"Sorry Sam, my little pea-brain has had too many things crammed into it today and I think some stuff is leaking out the other side," Bobbi said lamely. "I don't get Joja, though. This town is tiny compared to their usual customer base. Two dozen people really doesn't keep a Joja Mart afloat."

"We have more than 2 dozen people in town," Sam countered. "Well, probably. Though all of them don't shop at Joja. People come in from neighboring communities but not all that often, maybe once a week? One of the ladies loves to mention that she makes her weekly trip every Monday afternoon. She says I remind her of her daughter." Sam looked annoyed. "Not her son of course. Well I don't know if she has one, but really!"

Bobbi giggled. "Hey, you're likable, take it as a compliment."

"Pfft! To an old lady...," Sam rolled his eyes, clearly not enthused about this idea.

"Hey Sam, thanks for the info about Joja," Bobbi said genuinely. "I don't know what it means yet but it doesn't make a lot of sense. Let me know if you hear anything else, ok?"

"Will do, Bobbi! Take it easy," Sam said as he fished his phone out of his pocket and turned towards the river.

Returning to town, Bobbi bumped into Penny again and with Sam not in the area, offered her another dandelion, receiving a predictably warm smile accompanied by a hug. "Thanks Bobbi, I even got mom to eat part of the salad last time, I told her they were good for her morning headaches.” A small laugh. “That might even be true and it's certainly better than what she had the night before." A slight disapproving look flashed over Penny's face, which quickly disappeared, replaced with the smile again. "I'll get this home while it's still fresh. Thanks again, Bobbi!" And Penny whisked off with a wave.

Heading north in town, Bobbi thought to go over to the Joja Mart to have a look inside for herself. She'd always worked for corporate as a cubicle monkey, never taking the role of customer. However, on her way, the elusive Haley emerged from her apparently well-camouflaged hiding place and presented herself to the world. Or she'd been at the park and was now heading home. In any case, Bobbi had an especially nice daffodil waiting for her.

"Oooo, for me, this is super!" Haley exclaimed with a big smile while turning it around in her fingers, appreciating it from all sides. Haley has nice fingers. What? Bobbi your head is messed up today.

"Hmmm, that's nice makeup you have on today," Haley remarked. What? OK, I was not expecting that. "Or are you wearing any?" Haley giggled. "Well whichever, it looks nice on you.” She sighed. “I was sooo bored today at the park and I forgot my camera again."

Thinking fast, Bobbi asked, "was there a sasquatch there today and you missed it?" Oh, yeah that one could go badly, Bobbi winced internally.

Haley snorted, in a cute way. "Uh nooo, but yeah that would totally have ruined my day. Just boring birds and trees and spring things." Haley sighed again. "This month is taking forever and the Flower Dance is still like 2 weeks away," she said in an annoyed voice. Bobbi hadn't thought about that in a week, what's it even about. Clearly Haley knew all about the Dance but Bobbi didn't want to risk a strained conversation exposing her ignorance, so she let it pass. But I should ask Haley about it later.

Great, yet one more thing likely to forget. I need a secretary. Eyeing Haley, she put that thought out of her mind. "Your hair looks nice today, Ok it looks nice every day," Bobbi recovered, "what do you do with it?"

"Oh thank you, well it's mostly natural. You see...." And Haley launched into a morning regimen that had served her well for many years now, which seemed a little shy of natural. Many minutes later Haley finished and bid Bobbi adieu as she'd been on her way home.

What was I doing now? Bobbi's brain had been emptied of a great many things that day and she needed some recovery time. Ah, heading to Joja to sample the store.

On the way there, Bobbi said ‘Hi’ to Abigail but she volunteered that she wasn’t in a good mood right now, so Bobbi let her be. She felt a bit guilty at being saved from talking to someone else, but there were just too many things happening and she was anticipating some corporate-level brainlessness at Joja. Full mental shutdown. I need what little faculties I can still marshal for this experience.

Entering the clean, white whiteness of the Joja Mart was like passing through a portal to another world.

Another... reeeally boring world.

Buried within a mostly empty row of checkout stands stood an unfamiliar cashier who was barely awake, and a manager-looking person pacing in a fishbowl office to the right. I’ll bug them later, will need to work up to that. Perusing the store, Bobbi came upon Pam who burst out with, “Don’t go snoopin’ around my trailer while I’m out!” She immediately recovered, saying, ”sorry kid, I’m still a little cautious with strangers and this place kinds puts me on edge. Lights too bright or somethin’,” she finished, squinting up to the ceiling. Pam turned back to perusing the stocked shelves.

“Take care, Pam,” Bobbi said as she moved off. So it’s Pam that lives in the trailer, not Marlon. Where does he live? Of course there are no return addresses on any of those letters, and fat chance I’d know which house is which anyway. And what are the odds that Pam is hungover— this late in the day? Bobbi spotted Shane working but he was very busy, also to Bobbi’s relief.

Instead she perused the selection. It was awful, though with quite spectacular product labeling. High-five to the graphic designers and product naming teams. Unbearable torturous blaze sauce. Blue Alien ENERGY - get LAUNCHED! Powdered wine?!? Hair gel.

Hair gel! Hey, is this place where everyone gets their hair done? Is there a hair salon tucked in here somewhere? Who runs it? Quickly scanning the rest of the ‘Mart, no hair salon was found. Well I suppose that’s better, I guess everyone’s doing that for themselves instead of paying into Joja.

Bobbi steeled herself to chat with Mr. Manager and suddenly realized that this just had to be the Morris that Sam referred to. Who wasn’t ginger, heh. Wait, who was also the guy from the letter about the landslide or something? OK, Morris is someone who I need to know, one way or another. Bleah, I don’t like this.

Wait.

I came here for an escape. I think. I came here for something... different. This is different, it’s not blowing cars up on the pitch or spending 3/4 of the day avoiding work or the boss. It’s chatting with good people, digging junk up, getting covered in slime, soaking wet smelling like fish.

I should go into advertising.

As Bobbi walked up to Morris, he beat her to the punch saying, “Welcome to JojaMart, we haven’t see you in here before, I think?” with a big smile. Heh lucky, Bobbi thought, I was going to start with ‘Hi, Morris’ which would have been awkward. Maybe I should have left this to tomorrow morning.

“No this is my first time in here, I’m new to the area. I’m Bobbi,” she said extending her hand.

Morris shook it, introducing himself, ”I’m Morris, manager here and it’s great to see more people joining the community in Pelican Town. I hope to see you here for all your shopping needs. And if you’re really interested, we’re having a special on Joja memberships for only 5000g, and you’ll get some local benefits... which we’re still ironing out. One thing we do know is memberships will allow us to expand here and create more jobs, starting with a warehouse.”

“Is there space for a warehouse here?” asked Bobbi innocently.

“This place has nothing but space!” exclaimed Morris expansively. “But we’ll start small by converting the old Community Center. The building’s in Ok shape and a decent size. No new permits needed and it’s currently unused. Practically perfect.”

“Ah, sounds good, you’ve got it all worked out then,” prompted Bobbi.

“Yes well, there are always details to work out of course but nothing the town needs to worry about. So... are you interested in a membership?” Morris appealed to Bobbi.

“Well, the easy answer is that I’m way short of that kind of g right now so it’ll have to wait, but thanks for the offer.” Well, that worked out nicely.

“We’re always here to serve you, Bobbi. Take care and see you soon,” said Morris.

As Bobbi left the store, she had more to consider. I didn’t find out anything more that I already knew. And really anything less as intriguingly, Morris didn’t seem to be hiding anything. Well, everyone is always hiding something but Morris didn’t really say much less than Lewis. But Sam thought he was getting some kind of insider information, so this Community Center to Joja conversion may not be common knowledge? Maybe not to the younger people, or anyone else than Morris and Lewis?

Maybe because nobody else cares?

Well, no. Sam seems to care. Not sure what to do, so do nothing right now. I’m not in a position to buy a Joja membership and I’ll just assume that the rest of the town is at a steady state of memberships. But see if anyone else knows anything.

Bobbi ended up at the river and somehow it wasn’t quite sundown yet so she fished to take a load off her mind. Naturally she caught a Joja Cola. Really? What’s with the people around here? Seaweed and a sunfish completed the day and as she was about to leave, she saw Jodi and Sam entering their house. Ah, Jodi is Sam’s mom. Thinking for a bit, Bobbi realized that a number of people’s parents didn’t live local or at least were well hidden. That could be a good conversation starter.

Or killer. And in a rare flash of insight Bobbi realized that Pam was probably Penny’s mom. Penny complained about her mom’s nights and feeling unwell in the morning and Pam was not in a great mood outside of the Saloon.

Which also means Penny lives in the trailer? That’s probably not a great life, and Penny’s made some comments alluding to that. Sigh. Tread carefully Bobbi, you’re not great at subtlety. And now I’m going to be second-guessing myself. Just be yourself, girl.

Another big sigh announced to the Forest that Bobbi had arrived. She passed Marnie who was on her way in a hurry but still stopped for a brief chat.

“Hi Bobbi, doing well?” asked Marnie, a bit out of breath.

“Sure, how are things on your ranch?”

“Better now as Shane is helping out with the chickens,” Marnie brightened. “He really seems to enjoy his time in the yard tending to them. I actually see smiles on his face when he doesn’t see me, and that’s been a big improvement over the past few months. Oh, I’m sorry I’m running a bit late, talk to you again soon Bobbi!” and she bustled towards town.

“See you!” Bobbi called to her back.

Bobbi did a quick round of forage, already appreciating that seedlings were popping up, replacing the trees she’d cut. Back at the farm, Bobbi brainlessly knocked quite a few rocks into futile submission, which was a great respite from the day’s happenings. Peering into her pack, she found cauliflower seeds. Absently she stood looking at them and then her purse, which was smaller than she expected. I think I bought these at Pierre’s and that was utterly erased from my memory.

That’s what leaked out of my ear. Wow, I need a notebook or secretary. Hmmm Haley. Hmmm. What? Stupid brain, shut up.

She planted and fertilized the magic cauliflower, bunged the fish into the bin, and took out unknown frustrations on another stump that was too close to the house.

I’m done, floomp into bed face down and out like a light. No dreams this time.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Meow.

No.

Meow.

Shut up cat, you already have food.

Some shuffling outside.

I’m ignoring you who or whatever the you is outside. Today is my day off.

Meow.

You should be next door, cat. Hmph? Hachoo!!!! Bobbi sneezed out a feather previously lodged in her nose, beneficiary of an unconventional sleep position borne from excessive weariness.

OK fine, now I’m awake.

“Geshundheit?” came from outside. Mmm, can’t even sneeze in privacy in this... little house. Oh yeah, farm house. Wow, this is gonna be one of those mornings.

Meow.

I don’t have a cat. And there’s someone outside.

Marnie was on the step with a rather loud gray cat asking if Bobbi would like to take it in. Noting it wasn’t an Angora, or a cow or chicken, it seemed not particularly farm-functional. But he reminded Bobbi of her Zuzu cat so she said yes to the addition of not-so-little Chunk.

Now needing to keep a more careful eye out for fuzzy gray tails, Bobbi broke out the morning scythe. She was unaccompanied on the seed hunt, and only rarely plant-water-fertilized the cat instead of the mixed seeds.

This cat needs to be lazier, but I think he’ll pull through. Cat genetics are always on that side of good instead of evil. It was then that Bobbi noticed a note in the mailbox, this time printed on midnight paper. Someone has decided on their image, complete with custom stationery.

And with an apple thing in the corner...

Somebody's minions were spying on Lewis and me at the Community Center and got all jealous that I skipped over their favorite disintegrating uh, historically relevant local structure and want me to evaluate it before it slides into the forest lake.

More or less. I'm not picky, I'll have a go.

Apparently this guy is not only a rat exterminator but also a wizard. M. Rasmodius. Is that like M. Butterfly? We'll see what her singing voice is like. Not one to waste time more often than her new pet, Bobbi wended her way southwest, realizing that this was probably the scary tower from cold, foggy, rainy days past. Bobbi wondered about the career path and training to become a wizard, and whether towns were allowed more than one.

The tower looked equally less imposing and structurally sound under the unflattering mid-morning sun, but Mr. Wizard had chosen quite a nice spot to erect his high-ceilinged paradise. Up the stairs and inside, Bobbi was greeted by a cross between Burl Ives and the Phantom of The Opera. But with the local Stardew colored-hair flair, of course.

Everyone's gone gray here and is covering it up. I figured it out. My new cat better watch out or a local might just spray paint it day-glo orange.

Standing in front of a bubbling pot of stew, Rasmodius introduced himself as Buffer of Foreheads or something similarly florid and under-appreciated by all save Elliot, but eventually stopped just as Bobbi was about to ask how much raccoon was in the soup.

"I have long foreseen your arrival..." the wizard intoned and then paused. As Bobbi was about to ask why he didn't send a party invite years before, he continued, "well, someone more or less like you, with similar height and build, and one of 56 different hairstyles. Yours is nice, though," he said, nodding a bit.

"Thanks, you're the first to notice," Bobbi said, rolling with the mood. There's something funny in the stew, its steam bubbling out into the now small-feeling room. Funnier than raccoons.

"Over there, do you see something!" the wizard darted his hand, pointing to the far end of the room where there was a strange symbol faintly visible on the ground.

"No." said Bobbi flatly. "And visibility in here is down to a few feet."

"Give it a minute, the spirits are not mine to command," the wizard said. Is he stalling for time? "Merely to understand... mostly. Well, I hear them talking on occasion but never to me. I really do hope I didn't build this tower over their favorite vacation spot, though that could explain a few things... Behold!" With a small flourish, he focused on the symbol again where an apple thing had appeared.

"You've seen one before, haven't you?" he prompted.

"Yes, on your stationery," Bobbi said, managing to keep a straight face.

A pause. He might not have been expecting that. "And...?" he continued, eyebrows raised. This feels like English class, but more fun.

Deciding against mentioning Mom's cat toy, Bobbi instead offered, "They were playing hide and seek at the Community Center yesterday, quite good at the hiding bit as far as Lewis was concerned."

"As far as I can discern, they are called Junimos," the wizard revealed. "Apparently they are harmless though they seem to take great fun in teasing me with their existence all throughout the forest," the wizard swept his arm around, "but not with any explanation for it. And now it seems they've moved into the Community Center." The wizard looked a trifle morose. "Perhaps they have tired of me."

"Maybe you should leave them some arcane library books about," suggested Bobbi, "because that's what they seem to be enjoying in the Community Center now. One of them is even glowing. I haven't seen any lightning bugs around, perhaps they've captured them all and smushed their butts on that book." Bobbi was trying very hard to keep a straight face. And failing. What's with the stupid smoke in here, my head isn't working right.

"Silly girl, lightning bugs come out in the summer," the wizard stated almost as an aside as he'd already turned away in thought. "Glowing books are uncommon in this area," he said, stroking his short beard. "I shall have to consult Welwick to determine if any of hers have escaped their confinements."

"No!" he shouted, "I shall find out for myself lest I suffer additional indignities. For your safety, I must implore you to stay here under the protection of my tower." And who's going to protect me from this rickety tower's imminent collapse, then? "I'll return shortly," the wizard finished, quickly flourishing a mirror-finished wand through the air.

"Hey, who're you calling shortl—?" was drowned out by the magnificent ssssssccchhhhHHHEEEEAAAOUWWWwwwnnnnnnn noise the wand made at the precise time the wizard vanished before Bobbi's eyes.

Mouth open with unfinished words still on her palate, Bobbi stared at the gap in the room which had previously contained the wizard. Blinking and managing to close her mouth lest her tonsils dry out, Bobbi slowly walked over to where he'd been standing and carefully waved her foot about, casting for the mirror or trap door. But found only stone floor.

Wow. That was a good trick. I need to learn that.

Assuming he's not dead or something.

Maybe they've got Wizard correspondence courses here or this guy needs a lackey or something. Apprentice, that's what they're called! This farming racket is nothing compared to scheaowning around the place. How much training before I get the shiny stick of noise and invisibility?

Bobbi jumped as the front door banged open with the wizard striding in purposefully, declaring, "I found the golden book and it is not of a type Welwick has captured." Why are Welwick's books confined? Is he using the wrong words? I haven't met a Welwick yet and it's probably better that I don't. Except she probably teaches the correspondence course, just my luck.

"Hello! Is anyone else in my tower?" the wizard was calling. Bobbi started looking around wondering if someone had scheaowned in while she wasn't looking. But the wizard was looking right at Bobbi. "Yes, I'm talking to you. Is your head quite well attached to your neck and the other various parts? You seem not to be entirely here," he looked thoughtful for a second. "Perhaps I need to add more forest to the cauldron."

"No, no! No more smoky stuff from the pot, I'm really here now, please continue," Bobbi said in a placating tone. I'm really concentrating now, really concentrating. Really.

Are there squirrels in the pot? Chipmunks? Stop laughing.

Luckily the wizard had already started talking, "The language is very obscure but also triflingly simple, so I was able to decipher it." Wait. Did you just make fun of yourself? I need to botox my face so I can look serious or I'm gonna get kicked out of here.

The wizard commenced reciting. "The Junimo are one with the Forest and we see the potential for another to help us in our quest to expand the Forest's values and virtues. To prove your intent, we ask for donations of the bounties of Stardew Valley and in return we will aid you as we can. But you must be one with the Forest before we will reveal the nature of the books."

Finishing, the wizard turned thoughtfully, "I ponder the meaning of 'One with the Forest'... That concept is still to be revealed to me."

Yeah and also to me! I will not be one with the forest by serving as tree fertilizer or something, this sounds like a bad movie of the week plot.

"Come here!" Came out forcefully enough that Bobbi landed on her rear on the floor after stumbling backwards.

"Now. Now, girl! My cauldron is bubbling with exotic ingredients from the forest." Under different circumstances that could be taken a trifle differently, but in this case a literal interpretation made the most sense. "Baby fern, moss grub, caramel-top toadstool... Inhale deeply the flavors and aromas of the forest world surrounding us."

That sounds gross.

But didn't smell as such. Dipping a ladle into the broth, the wizard drew out a small amount and offered it to Bobbi, eyes ablaze with excitement. "You must let the essence of the Forest permeate your body if you are to realize your destiny. You have been chosen, even above myself, to communicate with the forest spirits. Drink up!"

The vapors had been working their way in and out of Bobbi's nose, ears and everywheres and had accomplished their task of breaking down those rational barriers to unexpected new experiences, so to Bobbi the next obvious step was to take in the broth. Noting that it quite tasted like the forest, and not entirely unlike gin, she swallowed it and half-mindedly wondered what was going to happen next.

Bobbi slumped to the floor as the walls of the tower stared undulating right. And left. And right and left and rightandleftand... she was outside in the forest yet there was no grass except that it was green everywhere. grass is green. green forest. trees drifted by and Bobbi forgot to chop them. more trees, fewer farm tools. are those apple trees do apples grow on trees do trees grow on apples......

Bobbi awoke in a forest. In the forest. Which 'the forest'? Still sitting, she noticed she was outside the wizard's tower, leaning up against it. I guess I needed air and stumbled out. Or the wizard dragged me out. Nah, he really doesn't seem the type to put that kind of effort in. Probably jealous that I...

Slowly, bits of the previous hour filtered back into Bobbi's mind. I'm supposed to read something. At the Library? Head to the Library. Bobbi got up and walked towards the stairs and then found herself at the bottom with grass between her teeth. I don't think I fell but I'm betting it lacked a certain grace. Looking around a bit, nobody was there to see but if the wizard was looking from a window, he's probably laughing his cauldron off.

Getting up more slowly and paying excessive attention to balancing on what now seemed like an inadequate set of only 2 feet, Bobbi felt a bit better and slowly headed for town.

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
Making her way through the forest, Bobbi considered that maybe this wasn't the best time to run into anyone in town, as coming across as the town drunk on a Wednesday morning might set her nascent social life back. Turning north and drawing out the scythe put Bobbi back in her happy place, something simple to do not requiring brain power.

Trudging through the cluttered southern farm, only occasionally tripping on roots and debris, Bobbi found a trilobite fossil but that barely registered as it went straight into the pack. Feeling increasingly normal and grounded in reality, Bobbi remembered where she was supposed to go. The Community Center. In the harsh light of day, Bobbi wondered about what she'd just experienced and whether, under the effects of whatever was in that pot, anything real had happened at all. I drank some of it. Bits and pieces of the forest. Bleaaahhh!!

I think I have squirrel fur in my teeth. Nope, just grass. Never mind.

Making great efforts to focus, Bobbi made her way to the Community Center to put this question to bed once and for all. Decidedly avoiding Harvey in the Pocket Park and for once relieved Haley wasn't in the Town Park, Bobbi entered the ramshackle Community Center. Nothing looked different and bug butts were still lighting Bobbi's way to the side room.

Approaching the glowing book with mixed feelings of dread and anticipation, Bobbi found that indeed she could read it. Do I even know if it's the same book? Mr. Wizard probably swapped it out with this one and kept the good one for himself, he's likely showing it off to Welwick right now. Maybe. This one doesn't seem to be locked in a cage like Welwick's apparently are, perhaps it's no longer feral.

Damn, this place is weird.

But rather fun in its way. I wonder when I get to start paying the tricks on the next town noob?

Perusing the book, it seemed like a request or order list though it wasn't clear what its terms were, as the payment line was obscured. Wow, all that chin wagging and narcotic exposure for a work contract? A work contract targeted at Bobbi specifically, for Farming.

Ah... Of. Course.

What I've been rather avoiding. Getting done with by 7am and then spending the remaining 17 hours of the day floofing about in avoidance mode. The thing that grandpa left to me and well, I was totally going to get around to addressing. It seems that the Work Cabal Community Economic Forum has taken notice and decided that Miss Bobbi needs just a bit of prodding.

Message received. I'm totally gonna farm 'til 8am now. 8:30, even. Not crossing my fingers behind my back at all and sleeping in 'til 7...

But looking more closely at the pictograms, Bobbi realized that the requested items were not available on her farm after all. Heh, fingers crossed actually worked! It was all foraging and broken down by season, with another list of maybe rarer things she hadn't seen, except for the Cave Carrot! Huh, that ugly thing has a use. And a boring wood and stone bundle.

Hey, this setup was totally made for me as I can't even get the Winter one done until the end of the year, so I can totally take my time. Doing a small happy dance, Bobbi noted she already had half the Spring Bundle in her pack. Searching around, she opened a labeled drawer in the pedestal and placed a daffodil and dandelion inside. And noted that she had the requisite leek and horseradish back at the farm to complete the bundle.

Man, this place is just leading me on. Not so bat-dung crazy as to chase me out of town, but just nuts enough to keep me curious. How far is the town willing to go and who's really in on it? Marlon and the wizard are clearly prankster brothers and there's no way this is happening without Lewis' knowledge.

Unless he's an incompetent politician. Sigh.

OK, return here with those later today and see what happens. Balloons from the ceiling? Demetrius in a Scooby-Doo villain outfit? More parsnip seeds? Whatever, I still get to quit farming at 7am as usual, no takebacks!

Feeling confident, Bobbi left the building and headed to Willy's to do some fishing rod shopping. Well, window shopping as those cauliflower seeds that bought themselves yesterday left Bobbi with scant funds. Picking up coral, clams, and junk washed up on the beach, Bobbi sold what she could but didn't come close to affording the 1800g fiberglass rod. Save for the rod or just blow it on seeds? I already have a rod, so seeds it is. She dropped off the trilobite with Gunther who amazingly wanted the junk, too. Apparently glass shards are good enough when your collection is empty.

Also good enough for Gunther to hand over 9 cauliflower seeds! Courtesy of both Pierre and Joja as Gunther had wheedled a 4 seed donation out of Pierre and then casually mentioned this to Morris, who topped Pierre by 1 with his donation. I wonder what else Gunther might be able to guilt trip, ehm, convince local businesspersons to donate out of the good of their hearts for the benefit of the community.

Of me. A key member of the community. For 9 days now.

Milling about in the Library, Bobbi realized this seed donation was a stealth ruse to get her to do more work. Fine fine, farm to 8am it is, but no more! Bobbi unexpectedly noticed Abigail reading in a corner so she headed over, oblivious that she was trying not to be seen.

"Hi Abigail."

"Uh, hi Bobbi," Abigail started. "Um, sorry in advance if I say anything rude but staying up all night didn't even help me get this project finished."

"What're you working on?" Bobbi asked.

"Look, it's not done and I hate this stupid #$@* project now and I really need my time now before I blow up." Abigail's eyebrows raised and she continued, "See? You made me do that, I warned you!" Abigail finished, clearly flustered. And she turned back to the stacks with her book.

"OK, see ya," Bobbi said in a small voice, walking away. Abby's not a morning person. Daytime person? Back outside, Bobbi walked aimlessly along the river and came upon Elliot leaning on the bridge, contemplating the flowing waters below.

This'll probably go better, it's Elliot. Just get him talking and I'll need an occasional sprinkling of "uh-huh", maybe an "oh, yes?", and an occasional "do go on".

"Good afternoon, Miss Bobbi," Elliot greeted Bobbi.

"Hello Elliot, it's just 'Bobbi' if it's all the same to you. 'Miss Bobbi' makes me think my mom just got my report card and consequences are on the way."

"Apologies, I was merely feeling extra formal this fine day after the previous week's dreary rain. I'm attempting to draw inspiration from the beautiful river flowing through town."

"Understandable," agreed Bobbi. "Though all I tend to draw from the river is trash and the occasional fish. Truth be told, the trash usually smells better. I could catch you a fish if that would help."

"Ah," Elliot considered, pausing. "Well your description suggests that I would better appreciate it in its native habitat."

"Mmm, probably a better use of your time," Bobbi agreed. "Usually fishing involves missing a number of bites due to induced restfulness." Bobbi cocked her head a bit to the side, "Though I can't rule out snoring keeping the fish away in the first place. What are you looking for inspiration for?"

Elliot was quiet for a few seconds, apparently considering what to say. "I returned to Pelican Town with firm intent to write a great novel based on the people of this town and others like it, but I haven't found the requisite inspiration to motivate me to put ink to paper."

"What about putting fingers to keyboard on a laptop?" Bobbi suggested, starting out somewhat tongue-in-cheek but realizing that maybe this wasn't the time.

"No no, those mechanical devices rob me of the creative process," Elliot explained a little more animatedly. "I need to see people and places and things in action."

"Well there's your problem, this place is full of inaction heroes," Bobbi ended lamely. The cauldron had truly worn off.

"Be that as it may, there is more happening here." Elliot plowed on, taking things literally. "I can sense it as things have changed since I left and returned. It may be that as an older and wiser person I am no longer entertained by the same idle pastimes-"

"Yeah you're like, super-old," Bobbi interjected, making a face.

Elliot smiled. "Well put, we're all not so different. However, you've proven my point. Something has changed here and that's what interests me now."

"Well then how about we do something about it?" Bobbi said energetically. "Whatever it is... Assuming it's actually happening." This place has locked sewers. Bobbi shuddered.

No clowns, please.

"Bobbi?" Elliot was looking right at her.

"Yeah I wandered away for a sec there, doing a lot of that lately."

"You could be my inaction hero."

Bobbi snorted in surprise and hoped nothing more than air exited her nose. "Me? Oh I think you have the wrong-- wait a minute. I sure could be an inaction hero. If you're writing an excessively boring story. Novelette. Folded pamphlet."

"We'll see where things go..." Elliot said, looking somewhat distant. "Thanks for the illuminating conversation, Bobbi, I have things to jot down." Elliot turned and headed towards the beach.

"You're welcome, Elliot. Any time." Bobbi replied.

Still wandering aimlessly along the river, Bobbi finally remembered that Ms. Inaction Hero had a real mystery to solve. Involving leeks. Elliot would need 5 dozen rewrites to make that entertaining. Back at the farm, she planted the gift cauliflower seeds, grabbed all her forage and made for the Community Center.

Apparently Elliot was writing the script as night was falling just as Bobbi arrived. Because an old decrepit building haunted by animated occasionally visible apple spirits guarding foreign-language Illuminated (literally!) texts is just not foreboding enough in the daytime.

I'd better get balloons at the end of this.

Though if the wizard pops out of a secret door and yells 'surprise!', I'm gonna stick a cave carrot up his cauldron and force feed him that mucky tree sap of his.

Yes, that helped. Taking a deep breath and opening the door, nothing had changed inside, with the glow from the book both helping Bobbi find her way and adding to the questionably unsafe atmosphere. Stupid scary movies, why did I ever watch those? Around the corner and into the room, Bobbi opened the drawer and placed the leek and horseradish in their respective slots. Closing the drawer, it continued sliding out the other side of the pedestal, revealing 30 packages of Spring Seeds.

Bobbi looked around for a second or two and when nothing happened, said out loud, "That was anticlimactic."

Almost boring, like a contract. Which it was.

...Mostly.

Appearing out of thin air, an apple— Junimo appeared and took the 4 foraged items from the drawer. Slowly, on legs that were rather too short for functional use but still quite a bit longer than an apple's regular legs, the Junimo headed out of the room and down the hallway. Bobbi quickly grabbed the seeds from the drawer without taking her eyes off the Junimo, lest it disappear again, and followed it out. It deposited the bundle in the makeshift hut, came out and...

Disappeared.

Wait, I don't get to ask any questions? OK it didn't say anything but maybe this was just a shy one. I can do most of the talking. I never even knew I was good at that until a week ago!

Really?

Looking around for maybe a second one, Bobbi noticed a new glow from another room. Entering the room opposite to the first, Bobbi predictably found a glowing book with yet more requests and these were all about farming, no mistake. My mornings are threatening to stretch past 9am. I'll never make it into town at that rate! Parsnips... and I sold them all. Love the timing here. Bah, everything looks like money and effort. I traded 2 jobs for 2 jobs-in-one, maybe Zuzu City still needs a driver...

On the way out, Bobbi noticed a third glowing book next to the fish tank. So more fishing, then. Hmm, well that's kind of OK as you can catch stuff and be done quickly instead of waiting endless days for parsnips to grow. Walking over to it, Bobbi wondered what kind of fish seeds she would get for finishing that off. Looking over the list, she recognized a few of them so it won't be too bad to start.

oooOOOOOOoohhh. I get it now.

This is a tax evasion scam. Exchange everything by bartering and no percentages end up with Lewis. Gunther's in on it, too with the mineral donations and occasional winkwink nudgenudge seeds. Poor Pierre and Morris, asking for actual g for things. Willy and Robin, too. They really need to up their guile game. Not sure how the Junimos fit into this but they don't seem to have pockets, making it difficult to carry g around.

Back out in the cool evening breeze, Bobbi's head cleared a bit and on the way home, she considered that the Junimos were apparently real, maybe... magic? Seems at odds with the greater world, but maybe not here? Elliot alluded to this place not being the same as before, so are the Junimos part of the change? For better or worse, or just different? I need to watch things a bit more carefully and maybe take them seriously, even the crazy stuff.

Nah, that's no fun. And Elliot needs to loosen up a bit, he could use some of that Wizard Brew.

Bobbi hoed, planted and watered the Spring Seeds with the time she had left that evening, noticing that they were actually seeds for the very forage she had donated. Stuff I can find everywhere for free, between bouts of annoying the locals. Even the Junimos are a bunch of cheapskates around here. Well, well they're the last thing getting watered.

Only if I feel like it.

Bobbi had a midnight field snack and trudged to bed, wondering how to forage for fish seeds.

Last edited:

Dr. eeL

Farmer
Even though these two running side by side stories have the same subject material, two really different writing styles are out and on display. Bobbi is a wonderful and exciting character. Of course, "for once, Haley wasn't at the town park," because she was spending time at my place. Re-imagining that blonde cutie takes center stage in many of farmer Lee's adventures.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Bobbi awoke with odd dreams lingering in her semi-consciousness, of disappearing magicians, talking tree fruit, and ginger cats. Sitting up, staring bleary-eyed around the room, some of those images faded from memory with others tightening their deathgrip on her mind.

Wait, some of that actually happened.

I think.

There was green mind-altering fog and some stew that likely would remind grandpa of "the old country", but instead gave Bobbi the impression of bug guts (same thing), and those apples at the Community Center. The... Junimos have an apartment in there, I wonder if they have squatter's rights by now? Their hut's probably made of peanut shells tossed by people who left the Center to slide into its current state of distress.

Tacitly accepting her slightly hazy memory of events the day prior, Bobbi dragged herself out of bed and found in the mail that Robin had lost her Axe. I have an axe. I hope she doesn't think that my axe is hers because it's a piece of junk and I'd hope Robin has something better. 250g is good so I guess I'll go about collecting all the discarded axes and see which is Robin's and which the Tin Woodsman's.

Watering took 2 hours. This is bad. Note: buy the most expensive seeds so there's no temptation to plant too much as I simply don't have the constitution for this. Stupid Junimos forcing unsustainable farming on me, nobody's watering those horseradishes I keep tripping over and I get those for free! When I get my fish seeds from that Tank, I'm throwing them in the Ocean, let's see what grows out there.

I'm hoping for sea monkeys. No, Merpeople. Kraken!

Imagining Willy fighting off multitentacled beasts, Bobbi picked a few things from her farm patch which might go to the Community Center, giving her a better focus for the day than griping about magically animated pie stuffing. Coming across Haley on her way to the park (this is intentional, right? I mean by Haley, not me! Totally that Haley wants to see me and we just "happen" to bump into each other so often...), Bobbi fumbled in her pack, digging out a very nice looking daffodil. And immediately wondered how long she was gonna get away with... ehm, happening to have the very same thing at the ready at all times. What else does Haley like? Maybe this is Pierre's scam to get people to buy flower seeds. Yeah yeah or he just knows what's good for business, whatever.

Before Bobbi could offer a 'hello', Haley broke off her path to the park and strode up to Bobbi with a "For me? You shouldn't have. Well, yes you should have as last week's daffodils are looking a bit weak and I'd just love a replacement or two. That one looks especially pretty with both white and yellow in it."

"I picked it just for you," Bobbi said, only stretching the truth a little as Emily seemed to like them as well. She handed it over, adding "where do you keep them in the house?"

"Oh, on the kitchen table," Haley said somewhat dismissively. "Anything to make that place look better. We barely cook anything in there but at least it can look nice when people come to visit." She leaned in just a bit, "I make Emily leave hers in the sitting room, she had one last week and it was... OK. I guess." Her mood changed on a dime and followed with, "oh now that I mentioned cooking, I'm hungry for something sweet like a nice cupcake! Maybe two."

Haley and Emily are sisters! Have I met their parents, do their parents even live here? Do they need to? They're both adults and clearly Emily has a job. Wait, no that would be too weird, they're probably roommates renting out the house and Emily works while Haley is... maybe well-off?

Bobbi came to and glanced back to Haley. "You're not one for conversation are you?" she stated, looking slightly annoyed. "I don't suppose you make cupcakes on that farm of yours?" Haley followed, with an eyebrow half-raised.

"Uh well," Bobbi stammered, not quite up to speed yet, "you see I'm in the middle of moving the kitchen from the outside to the inside of the house and that's not finished just yet. The last bit of cooking I had involved ferns, moss, and likely more possum than is typically recommended." Bobbi chanced a small smile.

"Ewwww, gross!" Haley reacted instinctively, but quickly got some of the clue. "You didn't really make that did you, you're just joking with me!" Haley laughed a musical laugh.

"No, the wizard guy in the condemned tower in the forest fed me some yesterday."

Haley's eyes widened. "What are you doing out there?! He's super-creepy and I hear all sorts of weird things when I'm nearby photographing Nature. Totally kills the mood! And I see Abigail snooping around there on occasion, I bet she knows something's up, too." Haley grabbed Bobbi's arm, "Listen, you. If you need a bite to eat, I'm sure Emily can make you something yummy at our house, I'm just glad you escaped!"

Haley hugged Bobbi and said, "There are weirdos out there, even you need to look out for yourself. See you Bobbi," and Haley headed on to the park. Wait, did she just... what happened there?

Walking forward because that took the least amount of brain energy, Bobbi took the Help Wanted sign for 2 chub for Willy. I can do that if I remember where to find them... Heading in the store, Pierre was selling some familiar-looking parsnips.

"Hey Pierre, how's business? Got anything new in stock?"

"Well, we have this 36 slot backpack for a mere 10,000g. With these features, it practically sells itself! Are you OK, Bobbi?" Pierre asked, concerned.

Bobbi's brain was quickly recovering from needing to process breathing and 10,000g simultaneously. After a cough, Bobbi said, "um, yeah so Abigail's college fund is in good order, then? I'll stick to buying seeds for now until I get some magic beans that grow something shiny like golden eggs."

"Hey not until someone buys it! And if I get golden egg seeds, well, I'll sell you the second batch..."

"Heh, understood. Later, Pierre." Nice deflection bud, you knew I was talking about the parsnips. Maybe.

"Bye, Bobbi," said Pierre.

At the Community Center, Bobbi deposited 3/4 of the Spring Crops, only needing a cauliflower for the set. More g down the drain, I'll forever be poor. With an inadequate backpack. And I'll probably get a fat load of parsnip seeds for this bundle. I wonder what the Joja benefits are? ...Never mind, just an idle thought!

Heading south to go fishing for the Community Center, Bobbi caught Penny heading home.

"Hi Bobbi, I just checked out a few new books from the Library! Do you spend any time reading at your house?" asked Penny.

"Hi Penny," Bobbi answered. "Not so much, though I have a nice handbook about local flora and fauna which is... borrowed from the Library. Which I haven't read in a few days..."

"Oh of course, you're very busy keeping things up on the farm. Free time is probably at a premium for you," Penny said, shrinking back a bit.

"Penny, you should come by the farm sometime and have a look." Bobbi stuck her thumb over her shoulder, pointing in the general direction of home. "There's next to nothing there. OK, well there's too much to water in the morning, and the cows and chickens are cleverly disguised as trees and rocks." Bobbi paused. "Though they haven't produced milk or eggs yet so I'm starting to suspect something."

Penny was giggling. "Stop it, you're too much. Still, having the space for a busy farm, whatever it's made up of, would be real nice." Penny was drifting away again.

Like I do on occasion, Bobbi realized.

"Also real nice, is what I found on my way to town today," Bobbi transitioned smoothly, producing a nice-looking dandelion from her backpack and offering it to Penny. Good one Bobbi, you're getting the hang of this.

"Ooo thank you, these are special. Are you sure you don't want them, I could find my salad recipe..." offered Penny.

"Nah that's OK, I think you like them more than me and anyway I have these nutty things," Bobbi replied, producing a field snack. "I make them myself out on the farm when I'm hungry and don't even wash my hands before doing so." Bobbi gave Penny a sidelong look.

"That's not sanitary! And you're joking again," Penny finished with half a smile and a descending eyebrow.

"Maybe... There are a few ponds on the farm and washing up is sometimes a rustic affair as the house is always just too far away," Bobbi complained, making faces again.

"Hee hee, thanks for the dandelion greens, I'll make a salad for you anyway someday. I have to go wash up before Mom gets home, see you soon Bobbi!" And Penny was off with a wave.

"See you, Penny," Bobbi waved back.

Bobbi walked slowly towards the river, noting that Penny did enter the trailer, confirming her suspicions. Why do Penny and Pam live in a trailer when there's probably room for another housemate with Haley and Emily? Well, not everyone is BFFs of course but still...

Sam was lounging by the river when Bobbi arrived.

"Hey Bobbi, what's up?" Sam asked.

"Hi Sam, you beat that level yet?" Bobbi countered.

"Uh, no heh, almost," Sam stammered, pulling his half-hidden phone from his pocket. "This game always makes me hungry anyway. And now the clouds look like giant scoops of vanilla ice cream floating on blue raspberry sauce. Where's Alex when you need him? That ice cream stand should be open year round."

"And sell hot dogs?" queried Bobbi.

"Yeah, totally!" Sam agreed excitedly. "That's great idea, we need to get Alex to add stuff all year." Sam was looking dreamily off into space," like... pumpkin pie in the Fall, maple bars in the Winter, and pizza in the Spring. And pizza all year!"

"Uh Sam, I have bad news for you..." Bobbi started in a serious tone.

"What's that," Sam said with a look of disappointing reality expanding across his face.

Bobbi leaned in conspiratorially, whispering, "Alex will need to do the cooking. Would you eat a pizza made by Alex?"

"...or a pumpkin pie?" said Sam, snorting and then laughing out loud. "Yeah yeah, ice cream is OK, Mom still makes great pizza." Sam looked thoughtful. "Actually I'd probably eat a pizza made by anyone, including Alex. It's pizza!"

I get the impression Sam likes pizza. My natural intuition.

When clobbered over the head with it.

"Hey Sam, any more news from Joja?" Bobbi asked.

"Oh yeah," suddenly Sam was looking semi-serious which did not seem at all natural for his features. Even his small frown had smile lines in it. "No, nothing yet, though Morris seems happier than usual recently, do you think that means something?"

"Hmm," said Bobbi with a pensive look at the ground. "Probably that he's in a good mooood..." Bobbi darted her eyes left and right and back to Sam, "Suspicious." And she made a face.

Sam smirked, "Yea OK, I get it. He's allowed to be happy too. Are you ever serious?" he asked.

"Not if I can help it, just too much effort."

"Hey that's it, totally agreed," and Sam held out his fist.

Bobbi bumped it, and said "mind if I fish here? If the smell gets too bad I'll move the fish downwind of you. If the smell gets worse, I'll move too."

"Heh, be my guest Bobbi," Sam said and started back on his phone.

A few sunfish, junk, and field snacks later, Bobbi decided the chub had sussed her out and escaped to the mountain lake. She found Robin there enjoying the ruddy slanted rays of the late afternoon sun.

"Hi Bobbi, I heard you got the haunted house tour from Lewis," Robin said. "Any skeletons jump out and scare you?"

"No, but I did see a few ghosts of fruit cobblers past, so it wasn't a complete bust," Bobbi quipped.

Robin smiled, "And I assume he gave you the same sob story about the Center's former greatness, how it was a keystone of the community," she was now making mock sad faces, "how all the town's ills will be fixed if only it wasn't our best local source of pre-distressed lumber?"

"Um, yeah, something like that," Bobbi said, wondering where Robin was going with this.

"Lewis is an old man who's trying to relive his youth here," Robin said, matter-of-factly, "not realizing that the world's passed him by. The kids-- heh they're not really kids any more, they couldn't care less about it. They have their own things to do." Robin paused to think and sighed. "Still. It's a nice dream, isn't it?" Another pause. "He asked me to fix it up years ago but I really like to create new things, not recreate old ones. That's why I built our house." Robin turned around to appreciate it. It was clear that this had been her dream, now finally realized.

"I suppose fixing up the Community Center is Lewis' dream." Bobbi paused. "Never realized," Bobbi mused. Robin cast a quick look at Bobbi, perhaps thinking along the same route.

"You're not thinking of fixing the Community Center are you?" She stared at Bobbi with a slightly quizzical look on her face, which softened. "...Are you?"

"I don't know..." Bobbi answered. She chose her following words carefully. "I'm evaluating what I can do for the community. What... skills I can add and how they can maybe help make the Community Center a better place. I don't know what I'm doing yet." Bobbi paused. "But it won't be selling out to Joja."

"What?" Robin was genuinely surprised. "Joja? What do they have to do with the Community Center?" But her words were coming out slower as realization dawned. "They want the building..." She looked at Bobbi. "That doesn't seem right, here. While leaving the Center as it is probably won't hurt the community too much, having Joja plant themselves in the center of town will be the death of this place."

"I agree." Bobbi said. "However Lewis is ready to sell to Joja if any more people buy memberships. Seeing as I'm the latest town addition, it seems that's not too likely, but in the meantime I'm evaluating the Community Center." Bobbi paused longer than she wanted to, but finished under her breath, "...and I think it's evaluating me."

"What was that?" Robin asked.

"Never mind," Bobbi deferred. "I'm not sure what I mean. In any case I'm on the job and Lewis knows it. Maybe you could just remind him on occasion that I haven't forgotten about it. You seem to have a kind of repore with him."

"Will do, Bobbi," Robin agreed. "And that repore only lasts as long as the tax money keeps flowing, which is why I can get away with annoying him at any, um, every opportunity." Robin elbow bumped Bobbi in the ribs with a smile. "If you need supplies like wood or..." she made a face, "stone, I can sell you some for kindasorta cheap. A woman's gotta make a living!" She laughed.

"Thanks Robin," Bobbi said while pulling out the fishing pole. "I'll see ya later."

"Nice talking to you, Bobbi," said Robin and she turned back to the house.

Bobbi fished up a number of odds and ends from the lake, luckily including the 2 chub she needed. One half-hearted attempt to find Willy at the bar and then the beach, and Bobbi headed home. She had no idea which fish she needed for the Tank at the Community Center so kept them all, selling some random forage and one better looking sunfish as she had a pair. She made a second chest just for the remaining fish as giving a shiny daffodil smelling of low tide to Haley seemed less than ideal.

Did I accomplish anything today?

???

Does it matter?

Nahhh!

Off to bed.

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
Bobbi opened her eyes to a brightly lit farm room and an unusual feeling, with the quickly fading fog of sleep delaying understanding but ultimately providing the explanation.

I feel rested. With a morning brain that's reasonably useful.

While not so much bounding out of bed, as that would be disrespectful to one's faithful nighttime companion, Bobbi nevertheless was filled with enthusiasm and was bordering on energetic as she pulled on her... functional leather boots. Watering the crops yet again took too long but Bobbi had a pattern down now, only requiring 1 trip to the pond for a refill.

Yes. This extra hour really makes me feel like a valued farming member of the community.

Totally.

Morning post brought a reminder of something she'd forgotten for over a week: the Egg Festival happens tomorrow around midday and there'll be an egg hunt. Sounds like a nice local mixer, something for the kids... all 2 of them? Have I missed any? There'll at least be some adults there (I assume!) as how much fun can there be watching 2 kids look around for eggs? The shipping bin had a pathetic 195g in it for the odds 'n ends Bobbi sold but it'd add up to 1800g soon enough.

Remembering Willy's chub request, Bobbi fetched all the fish out of the second chest, and with a sigh of relief, they still seemed OK. She headed for the beach. Willy was grateful and encouraging, remarking on how well chub swim and encouraged Bobbi to keep at it. And more importantly, handed over 100g which he would quickly be seeing again as Bobbi wasted more than a bit of time ogling the fiberglass rod.

I guess Willy's a decent salesman after all. 'Here's a tiny reward for finding some easy fish (OK, that I couldn't even remember the location of)... totally coincidentally we have a nice expensive fishing rod in stock that you're now closer to affording. Care to have a look-see?'

Stupid FOMO.

Selling the nicer chub and mentioning that she'd be back soon, Bobbi headed out to do a quick spot of ocean fishing and then headed for to the Community Center with a backpack mostly full of fragrant flopping fish. But she didn't get far as Elliot was heading her way across the beach. Luckily his head was down, picking up the occasional shell to examine it. Quickly ducking around the corner of Willy's shop, she deposited the backpack there and fanned out her shirt a few times in a vain attempt to alleviate whatever stenches she'd accumulated from farm work, fishing, and, well, day old fish.

Heading around the corner again less laden with her current life's work, Bobbi waved to Elliot. Eventually he noticed the small figure approaching him through the bright glare of the sand and greeted Bobbi with, "Good morning M--, Bobbi."

"Good morning, Elliot," Bobbi said casually. "While your hair shields the rest of your face from the sun, you might consider some sunglasses to protect your eyesight."

"Hmm, yes, that does seem to be rather an oversight on my part," Elliot agreed. To Bobbi's mild concern, Elliot continued to walk towards the pier while they talked. He stood up a bit straighter, which accentuated his already tall frame, and made Bobbi seem as if she sank into the sand another few inches. Shouldn't he sink in farther as he's bigger? It never seems to work that way... "Be that as it may," he continued, "the fresh air of the valley and especially the wonderful shoreline is excellent for clearing the body and mind."

"Aren't you writing a book?" Bobbi asked. "Isn't a clear mind the last thing you need? It needs to be... chock filled with lots of ideas and characters. And monsters!" Bobbi made mouth fangs with her fingers. "Monthters are cool."

"Eh, yes, well maybe not completely clear," Elliot was looking thoughtful. "I suppose that would not be ideal. Maybe that's the problem then... No, never mind! You've got me all confused now." His expression softened a bit. "Ah but that's a good thing in any case. Stimulating conversation while on a stroll outside is always invigorating, Thank you for accompanying me, Bobbi."

Bobbi wasn't sure she muttered 'You're welcome' or not as she realized they were at the pier and well within noseshot of her backpack. Which Bobbi now realized really needed a clean, a disinfecting, and possibly a traditional Viking funeral.

"The sea is remarkable today, though also... perhaps a trifle malodorous?" Elliot mused thoughtfully.

Quite at a loss of how to handle this, Bobbi came out with, "Well, it seems, not entirely unusual?... perhaps there's an unusually low tide because of..."

"Ah yes, the sun and moon are in alignment resulting in more extreme oceanic fluctuations," Elliot agreed. "Charts in my cabin track this though I haven't perused this week's oscillations." He turned to Bobbi, "I have given some thought to using the idea of an Inaction Hero. And perhaps of you as that hero, though of course that's just our term for it." He laughed a little self-consciously. "I would be grateful if we could chat on occasion about what you do in the Valley and even anything from your... observations in Zuzu City. Another perspective on things is invaluable as I can escape my own mind and experiences and open a world through the eyes of someone else." Elliot's faraway look returned to right now. He looked a bit self-conscious again and quickly clammed up. "Only if you're comfortable doing so of course! I don't mean to impose."

"On one condition." Bobbi said seriously. As seriously as she could while surrounded by a smell only a seagull could love. "That we enjoy some food and drink somewhere while we talk."

"Agreed!" Elliot said brightly. "Ehm, however perhaps this is not the best time and place as I believe I will need to head over to the farthest pier to clear my nose. Head! Clear my head. Thank you Bobbi, until we meet again." And Elliot headed to the other pier with a brisk walk that bordered on motivated, unusual for him.

"Take care," Bobbi waved.

When she was sure he was far enough away, Bobbi quickly grabbed the backpack and headed for the Community Center for good this time, carefully sighting her way ahead in order to avoid anyone else. 1 River Fish, 1 Ocean Fish, 2 Lake Fish into bundles. Lots left over, well at least Willy'll buy them and his nose is burnt out. Noting the requests for the other bundles, Bobbi recognized the Bream and a number of things for the Crab Pot bundles, which she might even have at the farm.

So do I get crab cakes for finishing that bundle? Or a visit with crabby Pam?

Back at Willy's, Bobbi sold the rest and was within a reasonable pile of g to getting the fiberglass rod. The backpack was already toxic and filling it again couldn't be much worse, so Bobbi did a bit more ocean fishing. Catching all the smallest fish in the sea. Apparently the big ones were onto her g scam and it was fish hazing week so the tiny freshman were being dared to bite. She could just see big fish swimming around under the waves with fishy smiles on their faces, laughing.

Jokes on you, I'm getting the good rod and then you're going down!

Up.

Out of the water. Whatever, I win!

Finally catching enough before 5pm, Bobbi headed in and traded chum and g for the fiberglass rod and hopped outside to try it out immediately. It didn't seem all that much better, but she didn't have bait yet. Turning around, Willy had already left the shop and not even to fish, he was heading to town.

I do not have buyer's remorse. I don't. Really.

This will get better when I get bait. It had #$*@& better!

After a trip to Clint's to crack a few geodes she'd found (coal and stone. yay.), Bobbi came across Penny watching the kids in the tiny park between the river and Library. Casually depositing her lightly scented pack near a tree and vainly fanning her shirt once, she approached the little group.

"Hi Bobbi, week's almost over!" Penny said with a smile. "I mean, it's great tutoring Jas and Vincent, but the weekend's nice to look forward to."

Bobbi stopped for a moment to think about that as it hadn't occurred to her that the week and weekend were any different now to her. How strange.

"Bobbi did I say something wrong?" Penny asked with a concerned look on her face.

"No, no!" reassured Bobbi, "you said something right that I just hadn't thought about for a couple of weeks now." Bobbi smiled at Penny and she looked relieved. "My weekends used to be a break from my Joja job but not from-- well, my night job, depending on the schedule."

"I didn't know you worked for Joja. Sam and Shane work for the Joja Mart in town, did you do the same?" asked Penny.

"No, I was a cube monkey for corporate," and Bobbi stuck a finger behind each ear pushing them outwards, and with her mouth closed, stuck her tongue up under her upper lip, then sagged her eyelids down and hunched over making monkey sounds. Vincent saw it and fell over laughing, which caught Jas' attention causing her to do the same. Penny was shocked for a second, started to scold the kids for a second second, and by the third second failed to keep a straight face and started laughing uncontrollably in surprise.

Knowing just how this looked (thanks to lots of practicing in a mirror in middle school), Bobbi also broke character, such as it was, and laughed along with them. Once everyone had gotten their fill (Bobbi had to repeat it quite a few times for Vincent, but didn't tell him the secret for fear of Jodi), Penny told the kids to start for home and leaned in to Bobbi, saying "thanks, that was fun and now I'm really in the mood for the weekend! You'll have to tell me about Joja sometime, I'm sure you have some good stories. See you at the Egg Festival tomorrow!" And Penny left after the kids.

"See you tomorrow, Penny!" The Egg Festival, almost forgot!

OK, totally forgot but whatever, won't forget now.

Suuuper won't forget.

Don't forget your pack under the tree. I really do need a PA... that doesn't smell of PU like I do. On the way home, Bobbi spotted Alex tossing snacks to his dog.

"Heeey its the new farm girl, you're lookin' good!" Alex said jovially. Am I still 'new'? Bah I guess so, it hasn't even been 2 weeks yet and I haven't come across anyone that hasn't been living here for a while.

"Hi Alex, what's up?" Bobbi asked noncommittally. Suddenly Bobbi noticed she felt tired, maybe too much conversation, maybe too many stinky fish.

Probably too many monkey faces.

"Hey, are you wearing new clothes, well whatever it is, you're doing something right!" Alex offered. OK, this is you being smooth? Mmmm not too bad, I've heard a lot worse.

"Well, these new, uh, -ish leather boots are all the rage amongst the cave divers this season, " Bobbi said, sticking one of her boot-clad feet out in the least runway-display manner she could come up with.

"As long as they're not made of gridball pigskin, then they're fine my me," Alex said, appreciating that the color was exactly the same shade as his ball.

"Tell you what Alex, maybe I'll get some pigs on my farm one day and you can come over to say 'hi' to your future gridballs." Bobbi said this without really knowing where she was going with it. Apparently it had the same effect on Alex.

"Oh, uh, thanks, yeah that might be fun but how about you just keep the pigs there for other reasons." Alex recovered his thoughts. "But I'll still come out and see you all! Whoops! Almost forgot, today's push-up day and it's almost dinner time. I do one more each day than the day before, good strategy, huh? See ya!" And he jogged to the house.

"See ya, Alex." Bobbi called after him. So you up to 10 push-ups yet? And I don't think you mentioned my name. Awright stop that, not everyone is great with names... Hmmm, Alex didn't notice my eau de yesterday's catch but then Bobbi was quite aware of not the most of pleasant of odors coming from the dog yard. Maybe they made a stench barrier where the 2 opposing lines were locked in an endless futile war for dominance, never one claiming victory over the noses of the other side.

Girl, you need to get out more and ditch the old TV movies.

Sebastian wandering about out in the daytime brought Bobbi back to now, and she and wondered what the occasion was. Genuinely surprised, she kept her distance as outside of their native habitats, the movements of feral Sebastians were likely altered by the slightest of environmental perturbations. Yeah, too many nature specials as a kid, she thought. Bobbi also spotted Leah and was doing the same until she snorted, laughing at the thought of encountering a Spotted Leah in the wild. Leah noticed this and walked towards Bobbi to say, "Hi Bobbi, are you going to the Saloon for a fun Friday evening, too? You seem already in the mood."

Surprised again for the second time in as many minutes, Bobbi barely had time to unsling her pack, drop it beneath a tree and approach Leah by a few steps before they met. She blurted out a,"Hi Leah, yeah, uh, I didn't realize Sebastian also went to the Saloon on Fridays." Wow, what a true raconteur you are.

"Yeah, half the town is here by 6 or 7pm on Fridays, it's a pretty easy tradition to keep and definitely helped me get to know everyone and feel a part of this place." OK OK, I really do need a set of reminders, Friday at 6pm in the Saloon.

Colonel Mustard

With the lead pipe.

Stop it, does you mind always have to wander--

Bobbi was snickering and Leah was giving her an appraising look. "You've already had something to drink, haven't you?" Leah asked. "Just because Gus opens at noon doesn't mean you need to start then, though a glass of wine after lunch is sometimes nice." She sniffed in Bobbi's direction and wrinkled her nose. "Well, as usual Willy's already beaten me here because wine is not what I'm smelling. Ugh, that puts me right off of fish, I'm going to need a salad or vegetables this evening, I'll even take fried mushrooms. See you inside, Bobbi."

"I'll meet you inside in a few, Leah, see ya," Bobbi said as Leah headed to the Saloon door. On her way home for a quick freshen up and backpack clean, Bobbi considered that half the town was supposedly there. So I guess not everyone's a fan of the Saloon? Alex sure didn't head inside. No big screen TV for sports or maybe he's not friends with those who do hang out on Fridays? Maybe the teetotalers have their own gathering in a secret Anti-Saloon den, like in the Adventurer's Guild. Nah, they probably booze it up even more in there.

Back at the Saloon, Bobbi saw Leah chatting with Elliot and Robin dancing with Demetrius and decided not to bother any of them. Lewis caught Bobbi's eye and thanked her for being a member of the community and taking time away from the farm to socialize. And then turned back to Marnie, who may not have been aware that Bobbi or anyone else aside from Lewis was in the room. Yeah Lewis, I'm barely putting 2 hours more work into it than the rest of the town, but nobody needs to know about that.

Except Penny. Maybe I told Robin as well. Or was it Abigail? There's Abigail!

Making her way to the pool room, Bobbi stopped to talk with her unknowing savior and Fall Guy of the day, Willy. "Hi Willy, I'd just like to thank you for being there when I need you."

Not sure of the context, Willy said, "Well you're welcome, Miss. If you keep landing more fish, I can keep expanding the shop which means some good business for the both of us. One thing that'll help is getting some bait for that new hook of yours." He reached into a pocket and handed Bobbi a scrap of paper. "I've got a recipe here but if you're all out of trimmings, I can sell you some for a special price. Only for true anglers such as yourself, of course."

"Thanks Willy!" Bobbi said, accepting the recipe. "Take care."

"Any time, Miss." Willy said as Bobbi walked off. Shane was looking grumpy so Bobbi let him be with his drink. I need to see him earlier in the day as I'm just too tired to deal right now. Walking up to Abigail seated on the couch, she looked uncommonly bright-eyed and maybe bordering on excited.

"You up for next game?" Bobbi asked.

"Hmm what?" Abigail answered, looking over to Sebastian and then Sam. "No, no I don't usually play unless Sam's out." A slight pause. "And then I don't usually play mostly to annoy Seb. But sometimes I will just to beat him if I'm feeling like it." Abigail had a conspiratorial smile on her face, and she leaned in to whisper, "he hates that, which is where the fun is!"

She continued, "no, I just can't wait until tomorrow, the second best day of the year! Third... whatever. Spirit's Eve, birthday, Egg Hunt. Of course I'm entering the Egg Hunt tomorrow, are you?" Bobbi was unsure whether Abigail's look was predatory or not. It was definitely uncanny, somewhat wide eyed but without the lifted eyebrows of a question, more like the set brows of a college student stalking free donuts and pizza.

"Um, I hadn't thought about it, uh, are there still empty spots?" Bobbi replied, flatfooted.

"Sure, for second place. There's always lots of room there," Abigail said breezily. "I think Maru'll be in and of course the kids, but they have no chance. Frankly Maru doesn't either, her heart just isn't in it. I think she uses it as an excuse to look for used machine parts to harvest. But we need new blood... and your blood is as new as it gets here," she said, emphasizing the 'your' with a poke to Bobbi's chest, but still with a smile. "Are you up for it?" Abigail finished in a slightly over-dramatic style.

And Bobbi felt something that had been absent for a fortnight.

A competitive challenge.

Nothing quite to the level of the Zuzu days but the feeling was instantly familiar. Backing down was of course a zero chance option so Bobbi responded, "Yeah, I'm up for it," with some mock emphasis and a poke to Abigail's shoulder.

"All right then... Tomorrow, high noon," Abigail stood up, and continued in a low, wheezy voice, "Bring a basket."

Bobbi couldn't keep a straight face and started laughing, quickly followed by Abigail, while Sebastian and Sam chuckled and smirked from the pool table, where they'd stopped to watch. "You guys gonna be there?" Bobbi asked.

Sam nodded and Sebastian said, "Yeah, I gotta go or I'll never hear the end of it from Mom. Ignoring Demetrius is easy but yeah, Mom. All these festivals are just stress, intentionally forced social interaction and for what purpose?"

"So that I can crush my opponents," answered Abigail. "Like you," she finished sweetly, looking sideways at Bobbi with arched eyebrows.

"Better bring a small basket tomorrow, Abigail," Bobbi said lightly with a smile. "No need to burden yourself with anything more."

"Ah, here we go, that's what I'm talking about!" Abigail said excitedly. "Competition's no fun unless there's some actual competition. Oh, now I really can't wait!"

"All right all right, I'll see you all tomorrow," Bobbi said with a wave as she walked out. Three 'see ya's later and Bobbi made her way Gus at the register, with a wave to Emily who appeared to be earning her paycheck on Fridays. They discussed recipes and food for a bit, which make Bobbi acutely aware that she really needed to get that kitchen upgrade from Robin.

On her way out, Bobbi mused about the cost, hundreds of logs and stones maybe and 1,000s of g. Trees for the wood obviously but probably mining for the stone? And the other stuff from the mine also sold OK, as did fishing. What about farming for g? Probably just plant the best stuff and water but those seeds are expensive, while fishing and mining had no up-front cost.

Mental wanderings done, Bobbi found that her foot wanderings had taken her to the river. Doing a spot of fishing before bed netted her a few fish, including the needed Bream. But mostly she caught junk, along with odd n' ends like geodes and weirdly, stuff that looked like the bait Willy had given her a recipe for. That bait did seem to get bites maybe a bit quicker. However seemingly neither of higher quality nor for those many other fish needed for the Community Center bundles.

Back at home, she tossed some fish and forage in the bin and flopped into bed much like the ocean dwellers she'd spent the day smelling distinctly of.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Bobbi spent equal time in the morning scrubbing herself and her pack until both were reasonably presentable, and noted that both were converging on the same color as well, now that she was spending so much time outside. Perhaps a hat will forestall my inevitable transformation into an old witch for at least another season. On the way outside, absently musing about the village's lack of haberdashers, Bobbi remembered that strange letter from a few days ago.

No, that odd one. Well, the other weird one. With the mouse! He sold poke hats but apparently needed g in return. I guess cheese must be expensive here, maybe I should get a cow and a... cheese thingy for that. How do you make cheese? Remembering the Library, Bobbi decided that a return trip for more recipes and hints should be a priority.

There was 480g in the bin and a note in there from Lewis, suggesting that Bobbi have Robin build a Coop. Ok, while I was planning on that, this seems more than a bit self-serving as Robin gets g and work and Lewis gets his taxes. Or maybe Lewis just wants chicken and fried eggs at the Saloon?

I wonder if Marnie makes fried eggs?

Bobbi got a bug to do a bit of clearing on the farm to make getting around easier and finished by scything the kale up, and cut a finally grown cauliflower, so it was Community Center time! She grabbed up a few other things for the Bundles and...

The town had other plans.

As she passed the Bus Stop and closed in on town, Bobbi realized she'd forgotten again and it was time for the Egg Festival. Quickly looking around it seemed that the Egg Hunt hadn't started yet as the kids looked excited, as opposed to being crushed by... someone in their 20s.

And it seemed that almost everyone was there. Not sure where to start, Bobbi went to the kiosk and was surprised to see Pierre there, but recovered quickly. "Hi Pierre, are you working the Egg Festival?"

"Hi Farmer Bobbi, yes I work almost every festival... " he lowered his voice so only Bobbi could her, "...that they let me. Apparently some Markets don't allow locals to participate." Pierre rolled his eyes. It seemed a very Abigail thing to do and apparently the competitive spirit was also there. That fruit didn't fall far from the tree. Speaking up again, Pierre continued, "anyhow, I do have in my possession something very special that I can sell today but will probably sell on to a neighboring town after the festival. For a tidy profit of course."

"What's that Pierre?" Magic beans, square watermelons, bananas? A lease for a tractor??

"Strawberry seeds, only 100g each!" Pierre said proudly.

Bobbi looked from the seeds to Pierre and back again, clearly looking less impressed than dry cleaned trousers.

"Hey these are pretty valuable and local strawberries are rare and sell for a lot of g," Pierre justified, though he still seemed to think Bobbi should find this obvious. "And I remember Penny mentioning that they're someone's favorite in town but I ummm, I don't remember who."

"All right, all right, you've hooked me, I'll take 6 and now I'm outta g." Bobbi surrendered. Stashing them, Bobbi had been noticing a surprisingly cheery looking Shane nearby.

"Hi Shane, this is your kind of festival, then?" Bobbi asked in what she hoped was a positive manner.

"The Egg Festival is what keeps me going through the long, cold, depressing nights of Winter." Shane didn't seem overly grouchy when saying this, which surprised Bobbi. "I give the chickens pep talks and turn up those heaters when they're looking chilly. It's easy to see they're happy because they keep laying. They've been working overtime preparing and of course they've already gotten their big reward, big bowls of sweet yellow corn!

"Wow, those sound like star chickens, I didn't even think of where the eggs all came from. Thanks for that," Bobbi said. "I've always been fond of chickens... but I don't know why, maybe because they're funny? Do your chickens know any good jokes?"

"Well, none that they've told me," Shane conceded, almost with a smile. Almost. "If you have a coop on that farm of yours, I'm sure Aunt Marnie could part with a few-- if only to raise more, of course. She could use the business."

"Thanks Shane, but I don't even have the coop yet as I'm short of resources right now. But I'll see Marnie as soon as I can." Bobbi said. This place is sure pushing me about the coop, on Egg Festival day to boot. Maybe I can buy extra drinks at the Saloon for Lewis and squeeze him for information on the local Egg Conspiracy. Or people just like chicken. "I've got to annoy more people, see ya Shane."

"See ya," Shane replied with a head bob.

Feeling a bit parched, Bobbi found a cup and poured herself some punch. On her way over to Maru and Penny, Bobbi noted that the punch rather lived up to it's name and she made a note to return for more. "Hi Maru, Hi Penny, having any egg-- "she cut herself off before saying 'eggnog' as last-second warning bells went off in Bobbi's head about Penny, Pam, and alcohol, and she recovered with, "--eh, salad sandwiches?"

"I'm not really a big fan of eggs," Maru said, "outside of an occasional one or two for breakfast if Mom's cooking,"

"Yes, I'll have a couple once in a while if Mrs. Robin is cooking as well," Penny offered, "but you'll never catch Mom doing anything like that, though. I do the cooking but prefer vegetable dishes."

"Hmmm, that sounds very environmentally friendly," Bobbi said, thoughtfully. "Do you cook the food on the vegetable dish during or after the dish itself?" Someone's thinking they're clever, yet still managing to keep a straight face. Perhaps not clever enough then.

"No, you don't-," Penny started, followed by a flash of that increasingly familiar disapproving Penny look, and then laughed. "You're doing that again." A pause. "Do you have a vegetable-plate face, then?" Penny finished with a little curl of a smile.

"Ah, no," Bobbi conceded. "I'm fresh out." Maru had a somewhat bewildered expression on her face. "I was making monkey faces at the kids yesterday and it seemed everyone liked it." Bobbi glanced at Penny who was smiling. "And before you ask, there's no way I'm doing that here with everyone looking."

"Sounds like you have your costume all ready for Spirit's Eve," Maru said with a smirk, "and you don't even need a mask," she finished breezily.

"It's OK to be jealous Maru," Bobbi started, drawing a finger delicately across her cheekbones and facing an invisible camera. "Not everyone is born with the fine bone structure and requisite elegance for monkey faces and other clown-related activities." Penny was giggling and Maru smiling to herself. "I'll see you ladies later and promise not to make any faces without you present."

"Bye, Bobbi" x2 and she was off to chat with Emily and Jodi. "...and once I got the eggs from Shane, I spent day and night coloring them as many ways as I could think of!" Emily said to Jodi. "Hi Bobbi, have you seen all the eggs?" Emily said excitedly.

"Yes, well, no I guess, aren't some of them supposed to be hidden for the hunt?" Bobbi asked.

"Well, of course, but those are all the ones I made mistakes with," Emily explained. "All the good ones are on display in the baskets and around town." She leaned in to Bobbi and Jodi. "And I leave the pastel ones for the Egg Hunt, too. Not my favorite even though Lewis and Evelyn like them, probably the only colors they could get back then!" And she and Jodi laughed a small laugh between themselves.

"I think even the chickens were grayscale back then." And Bobbi added with a whisper, "Pastels came after they invented the wheel." Emily snorted and started laughing and Jodi looked simultaneously embarrassed and amused but laughed along with them.

"Anyway," Emily continued, "the pastel eggs are harder for the kids to fin-" She cut herself off and looked over to Bobbi.

"What?" Bobbi wasn't sure what just happened.

"Uhmm," she stammered for a brief second. "OK, quick spoilers as I already let you know something: as a new person in town, Lewis is going to ask you to be a part of the Egg Hunt. Sorry!" Emily's turn to look embarrassed.

"Oh, I'm already in!" Bobbi volunteered, "Abigail kinda challenged me and well..." Suddenly it all seemed kind of stupid. A couple of twentysomethings competing at an Egg Hunt. "Yeah, I got suckered in." And Bobbi became aware that Jodi's son was also going to be looking for eggs and looked over to her, embarrassed. "Um, I suppose I should let one of the smaller kids win, huh?"

"Well, Vincent's been looking forward to this all Winter, but just to find more eggs than Jas," Jodi started diplomatically. "All he's ever known is Abigail winning, so he and Jas just need to compete with each other. Now, I like Abigail but..." Jodi tilted her head a bit to the side, "perhaps a change of scenery on the podium would encourage the smaller kids that there's hope for them in the future." Jodi looked aside into the distance, with an arched eyebrow. "Just a thought..."

Bobbi glanced over to Emily who was looking curiously back at her. "Some spicy competition this year, promises to be fun," Emily finished with a smile.

"I'll do my best then, and focus on the pastels. See you!" Bobbi said as she walked back to get more punch. Gus and Clint were chatting about food which suddenly didn't seem so interesting to Bobbi. Clint was remarking that something different than 11 kinds of eggs might be nice while Gus was explaining the nuances of those very same egg dishes, both talking past each other.

Walking up to Robin, Demetrius, and Caroline, Demetrius was musing that eggs were an odd culinary choice to which Robin answered, "you seem to like them well enough for breakfast," eliciting a smirk from Caroline.

"Yes, but it is odd that we should harvest the production of another animal for our food, continually asking it for more," he pondered.

"Sounds like you could have a discussion with Marnie and Lewis about that, why don't you head over there?" Robin asked, sending Demetrius their way. Turning back to Caroline and Bobbi, Robin continued, "heh, Lewis isn't going to like that and Marnie'll give him a different education about animals. A little perspective will do him good." Robin took a deep breath and let it out. "It's nice to have a day off like this talking with friends, but not when Mr. Science interjects every few seconds."

"Hi Bobbi," Caroline said. "I hear that you're participating in the Egg Hunt. Abby loves it every year and hasn't knocked one of the little kids over in quite a few years now. As you can see, I couldn't be more proud," she finished with an eyeroll. A very familiar eyeroll. "Be careful out there or you might end up with an elbow to the eye or on your keister in a bush," she finished with a laugh which Robin joined. "No, I'm not kidding." Caroline reached over and patted Bobbi on the back.

"OK, Caroline, thanks for the head's-up, sounds like I'm going to need it, catch you ladies later," Bobbi said as she headed in Marlon's direction.

"Even with this bad leg," Marlon offered as Bobbi arrived, "I never miss an Egg Festival. Gus really goes all out and I rarely get that kind of cooking at the Guild." As Willy walked up. Marlon burped and said, "better that than the other way. Oh, sorry Miss! It was the sight of Willy that done it!"

"Har har, you old joker," Willy said flatly. "You were just waiting with that one until Miss Bobbi showed up with me around." He turned to Bobbi and explained, "everyone new gets a version of that old saw when they get to town. Stay away during the public festivals, he gets to do it 10 times in a day."

"And it's still as great as ever," Marlon said, eye closed, basking in the sun.

"OK, all the eggs are planted," Willy said. "And no, no sneak peeks for anyone." He paused. "Wouldn't help yer anyways. Sometimes I hide 'em so well that nobody finds 'em afterwards, including me. Until Summer that is, when yeh can smell the stench from clear 'cross town!" And both of them dissolved into laughter, which quickly drew Bobbi in. She felt a little funny, but it was probably from too much standing and talking. Bidding them adieu, Bobbi thought that with a bum leg, Marlon may not have been playing some of the tricks she'd been thinking about on previous days. What tricks? Funny, Bobbi couldn't remember. Maybe it's too hot out, back to the punch for more fluids.

Drawing her punch and downing some of it, Pam came up and said, "hey kid, go easy on that stuff! I, uh, may have added something to it to make the day move along a little nicer for everyone. But if you hog it all there'll be none for all the blowhards here," Pan said, thrusting a thumb over her shoulder. "And Penny just told me you'll be huntin' for eggs. Won't do so well with too much nog in you." Pan leaned in and whispered, "Oh, and let's just keep that a secret between you and me."

"Ok then Pam, I'm gonna keep that a secret," Bobbi said agreeably, winking while drawing a slightly exaggerated 'X' over her heart.

"Great! Thanks, kid," Pam said, clapping Bobbi on the shoulder, knocking her forward a bit, and Pam headed over to chat with Gus.

Hmmm, Pam's nice, Bobbi thought, and I like Penny, too. Yeah, I like Penny.

Bobbi came to again and wended her way over to Sebastian, Sam, and Abigail, the latter of which seemed to have spotted Bobbi well before she got there and walked a few paces away from the guys. "Hi Bobbi, ready for the hunt?" Abigail asked, arranging the leather fingerless biker gloves she was wearing.

"Mmmm, nice touch," Bobbi complimented her. "Yup, sure am," Bobbi started but then remembered something. "Was I supposed to bring a basket?"

"Nah, we just dump some of the eggs out from the decorative baskets around town and use those," Abigail explained. "I wouldn't let you get out of it as easily as that," she finished with a smile.

I think Abigail is wearing makeup. Or eyeliner. Maybe she always wears makeup and eyeliner. She looks good wearing this makeup and eyeliner. Noting Bobbi's lack of response, Abigail continued, "I saw you drinking some of Pam's special sauce, and I think more than once. Be careful with that stuff, I wouldn't want to think I didn't win fair and square." Abby was looking at me, that's a good thing, isn't it? Unless it was recon for sensing weaknesses in her opponent. Uh-oh.

"Don't you worry, I'm up to the challenge," Bobbi said with all the confidence she could muster. While enjoying Abby's gaze. "I was just... a little parched after an intensive training regimen consisting of finding multicolored caterpillars in my vegetable patch," Bobbi continued, the words coming out increasingly over-pronounced. "And those are way smaller than eggs."

"Well then," Abigail started exaggeratedly, "sounds like you need to plant a vegetable patch bigger than an egg," she said with another poke to the chest.

That was too much for Bobbi and she snorted, starting to laugh, followed by Abigail, and Sebastian and Sam walked over to see what they were missing. "Just a little trash talk to get in the competitive mindset," Abigail said.

"There used to be more competition here years ago," Sebastian said.

"Like the toss?" Sam offered between sneezes. "Sobby, allehgies," he said, blowing his nose.

"Yeah, the rotten egg toss kinda made Spring worth it." Sebastian said, almost seeming interested. "Sam'd put a dozen eggs outside during Winter and by the time the Festival rolled around at least half would be disgusting on the inside. After a few tosses that maybe went too long." He looked at Sam. "You know, every time..." They both laughed. "Yeah, the place would stink up to the stars. Got the Festival done quick and could get home again. Lewis figured it out though and spent time making sure nobody was stashing stuff, and our parents totally sided with him. Big surprise."

"Looks like Lewis is getting started..." Abigail said, looking to the Town Square, "may the best girl win," she finished, looking at Bobbi with a smile and arched eyebrows as she headed towards Lewis.

Bobbi followed, wondering whether Abby was wearing a new bow in her hair today. Purple is a nice color. More things should be purple.

As everyone set up around Lewis, he announced the Egg Hunt and started handing out baskets. Abigail stopped him, saying, "That's OK Lewis, I came prepared," and brought out a giant basket from behind a bush, eliciting laughs and claps from many in the crowd. But not from Caroline.

"That's where my laundry basket went to?" exclaimed Caroline with some annoyance. "It's been missing since last night!"

"OK, Mom... just making a joke," Abigail said a little sheepishly with an eyeroll. "No need to take things so seriously." She walked over to hand over the basket and grabbed the one offered by Lewis. That seemed to take a bit of the wind from her sails, thought Bobbi. Maybe I have a chance.

Bobbi noticed that Maru and Sam also took baskets and wondered if this was a leftover from years ago and whether maybe they were the youngest of their group. That thought was cut off as Lewis started the Hunt.

Bobbi never even noticed where Abigail went off to and just made her way around the town to the places she'd seen, looking as intently as possible, under the circumstances. What became apparent was that she really didn't know the town's details very well and thus where might be a good place to hide an egg. She found a few in open spaces but suspected she was walking past lots of them just out of sight. She occasionally saw Vincent and Sam (ah, probably keeping his brother company, that's pretty cool big bro-- like your hair), and Maru once. Maru has nice hair, too. And glasses.

Glasses are good.

Picking up an egg below a bush near the graveyard, Bobbi tripped and fell, rolling into the bush. Hmm, it's too bad Abby wasn't there to catch me. Or fall over with me... That'd be nice...

Is it over? Not-- tweeeeeet! The deafening whistle brought a wide-eyed Bobbi right back to reality. She made her way back to the square with all of 5 eggs in her basket. I'm super not going to be the winner today with that, maybe the kids did even better which would make Jodi happy. No wait, she wanted me to win, oops!

No punch next year, this is Pam's fault! Yeah, or I was just thirsty.

Abigail was looking quizzically at Bobbi, perhaps concerned that somehow Bobbi had achieved a miraculous victory. Bobbi tipped her basket towards Abigail, showing the lack of eggs with a self-conscious grimace and Abigail relaxed a bit with a smile. Baskets were gathered and eggs tallied while Lewis made a predictable bad joke about community effort, which was beneath even Bobbi's strained sense of humor. Unsurprisingly, Abigail was crowned the victor with a straw hat, from a total of 8 eggs. 8 eggs? I had 5, it shouldn't be too bad to top that next year with something different to drink.

Abigail looked pretty happy with herself with the straw hat on and bounced over to Bobbi after the festivities to give her a fist bump, saying,"hey that was fun, I wish we could do that more than once a year! Sam, Seb, and I are going to the Saloon while the "adults" clean up. Wanna join us for a non-Pamstyle drink?"

"Yes, definitely," Bobbi said with more vigor than intended. "I need something real to drink before I get a headache." The 4 of them chatted for a bit, with Sam's allergies abating somewhat indoors but soon it was time to leave. Sebastian headed out quickly as he mentioned this was about as much time as possible he could spend away from a project he was working on, followed quickly by Sam, Abigail, and Bobbi. Sam headed to home with a wave and a sneeze, and Bobbi and Abigail walked to Pierre's.

"See you tomorrow, Bobbi. Today was super fun," Abigail said, giving Bobbi a hug. "We should hang out more often but not on homework days. You don't want to deal with me then, just ask Seb."

"Heh, noted. I enjoyed today and hopefully I'll even remember it tomorrow," Bobbi joked and realized that could be taken differently than intended. "Eh, scratch that, no chance of me forgetting, Pam juice or not. I had a lot of fun today, what's the next Festival?"

Abigail wrinkled her nose. "Meh, the Flower Dance. Yep, I've peaked early and it's all downhill from here. The Flower Dance is someone else's jam, you'll see what I mean soon enough," she finished with a laugh. "Good night, Bobbi," she said, tipping her new hat and opening the door.

"Good night, Abigail," Bobbi said as Abigail disappeared into the Store.

Sticking her hands in her pockets on the way home, Bobbi discovered 6 strawberry seeds. Now with fully functioning faculties, she decided to squeeze some productivity from her day and finally remembered she'd been on the way to the Community Center seemingly a lifetime ago, before the forgotten Egg Festival. Depositing the cauliflower finished the Spring Crops bundle and netted her Speed Gro. OK, not seeds so less work, this is good. Depositing a few other things, she had the Crab Pot bundle almost done, only 1 more and lots of choices! All of which were completely unfamiliar. Yeah.

Back home, planting the strawberries offered the opportunity to test the Speed Gro, we'll see what this stuff does.

As she was falling asleep, Bobbi reflected on a few things. I'm broke and didn't sell a thing today. Glasses are good. Sam is good. Abigail is reaaal good.

At finding eggs.

Last edited:

Dr. eeL

Farmer
Loved how the chatter between Bobbi and the villagers invites the readers into the egg hunt. My farmer is handicapped by being male. He can talk, but his brain is not wired for lots of conversations.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I do not have a headache, the sun is just way brighter today. Coincidences like that happen all the time, otherwise life would just be a bunch of... non-coincidences.

Incidenceses....

Ugh just water today, please. Remind me to thank Pam with some green tea and a hearty clap across the back the next time she can barely stand at the Saloon.

Shielding her eyes outside, Bobbi wondered where her new hat was. Until she remembered it was residing on an Abigail-shaped hatstand and wasn't hers at all. Yeah, the Hunt went less well than anticipated but it was fun with Abigail, Sam, and Sebastian before and after, and... just chatting with everyone before? Heh, my imagination got away from me yesterday, with a little assistance from Pam. All in your head, Bobbi, just move on.

The mailbox solved Bobbi's insolvency as Dad (of all people!) had left her 500g. How did he even know I was here? He and Mom are working the border towns supplying the defense forces resisting Gotoro. They sent Bobbi to Zuzu for a safer place to learn and then join them later on if she wanted. They eventually heard that she dropped out for a sports career and weren't thrilled, but Dad immediately saw the potential for an aggressive driver in the family business, so they tolerated it. It's weird that Dad never mentioned this place, maybe Grandpa kept it from him as Dad was maybe a little too... structured? Serious.

Boring?

For that matter, why would Grandpa even move away? Questions to be answered, but not by someone with half a season under her belt here. She kept going over this in her mind while watering, chopping trees and making her way to Pierre's for cauliflower seeds. The Help board wanted 4 green slimes for 240g, should be pretty easy. And nothing on the calendar.

Um.

Oooooooops. Very much not nothing.

It was Haley's birthday.

I didn't even talk to Haley at the festival yesterday. Did I even see her? Maybe she skipped it? There were a few people she didn't talk to including someone in a wheelchair, Haley could have been farther away or behind someone else... Yeah, I could barely keep it together and not make a fool of myself in front of Abigail (erm, maybe...), and Haley was completely out of mind by then.

Birthday daffodils should hopefully smooth this over. Glancing back at the calendar, Shane's was in a week and Emily's in 2. OK, plan to forget those before noon.

In the store, Bobbi bought 6 cauli seeds and realized she should have sold the kale for more seeds. If we're going monoculture Bobbi's brain needs to think more, maybe actually plan? before leaving the farm.

Back outside, Haley was walking to the park. Of course it would happen that way. Now, this is a good thing not a bad thing, just calm down, you. Deep breath, find those real nice daffodils in the pack and off to catch up.

"Hello Haley, nice morning today," Bobbi said not entirely naturally, falling into step next to Haley with her hands behind her back.

"Oh, is it? I hadn't noticed," Haley answered, a little coolly. "I did notice yesterday that someone--"

Time to pounce before this gets out of hand! "Happy Birthday Haley, I've been saving these for you!" And Bobbi produced a very nice cluster of Daffodils.

"Oh, is it my birthday today?" Haley said somewhat unconcerned and kept walking, "Why I suppose it is." She paused.

"Oh... this is no fun!" Haley continued in a frustrated tone. "Emily didn't say anything to me today, in fact she never even came out of her room. I had to make cereal for myself for breakfast. On my birthday!" She pouted. And took the daffodils. "Thank you. These look very nice and they'll look great on the kitchen table... where they might remind someone of something," she finished slowly and meaningfully with a reproving look. She paused again.

"My sister is so weird, I wonder if we're even related." They are sisters! Where are their parents? They're a little young to be rooming in a nice house by themselves. In fact, where are a lot of peoples' parents? My parents sure aren't here. There are a lot of twentysomethings here whose parents should still be alive and probably still of working age. Yet there are only 2 middle aged couples here...

Where are the rest?

Where is Haley?

Bobbi stopped walking and looked around, finding Haley standing about 10 paces behind her with a hand in front of her mouth, trying but ultimately failing to keep a straight face. "You did the Bobbi thing again and I wanted to see how long it would last," Haley said between giggles, walking up to Bobbi. "I think you'll end up in a bush or a mud puddle next time if you don't watch out. I need to keep my camera with me because I don't want to miss that!"

"However," Haley continued, "I did miss you yesterday, though I saw someone who looked quite a lot like you looking for eggs. What happened?" Haley asked, much of the amusement having left her face. The best thing I can do is say what happened and wince because I don't know if I remember all of what happened.

"Abigail challenged me to the Egg Hunt and before it started I ended up having too much of Pam's spiked punch and lost track of time." Bobbi paused. "I might have gotten there late, too."

Haley put her head down and Bobbi could see a smile fighting its way out. And then Haley snorted and started laughing out loud. "You got suckered in by Abigail? Wow, yeah, she probably planned that a week in advance once she knew you were new in town. Lewis didn't even need to invite you into the Hunt, she took care of that!" Haley paused. "And I saw you loading up on the punch, I was wondering if it was on purpose, maybe a bet you lost but I guess not." She looked thoughtful. "Pam outdid herself this year, then."

"Yeah," Bobbi admitted, "I had more than a bit too much and barely made it back to the town square."

Haley laughed again. "That was kinda embarrassing, coming back with twigs and leaves sticking out of your hair. Even Vincent was cleaner looking and he'd been playing in the park beforehand. Did you lose an egg to a squirrel?" Another Haley snicker.

Bobbi smiled, not finding this entirely funny, but Haley cut herself off, looking at Bobbi and sizing her up. "OK I'll stop. That was for not talking to me yesterday, I missed you. OK and I came up with the squirrel thing and had to say it!" Haley grabbed Bobbi's arm. "Listen, Abigail's going to challenge you to things and she really likes to win. Either get used to losing or not being around when she's in a competitive mood. We all learned that one in school, though you gotta do it once in a while or she might explode." Haley paused. "That'd be gross," and she shivered.

"Let the Wookiee win?" Bobbi said with an arched eyebrow. Haley lost it, laughing.

"Oh I so want to tell her you said that but then I'd have to talk to her. We're not really BFFs. Anyhow," Haley finished, "thanks for the Birthday present and I'll be seeing you around."

"You're welcome, Haley. See you!" Bobbi said as she walked back to town somewhat aimlessly. Across the town square, she came upon Penny, who was reading a book under a tree.

"Hi Penny," Bobbi said somewhat tentatively, slowly walking by and not wanting to bug Penny as she clearly liked reading a lot.

"Hi Bobbi!" Penny said, closing the book and standing up. "Are... you feeling well this morning?" she finished with a small look of concern on her face.

"Yes, why-- oh, yesterday..." Soooo, I made something of a spectacle of myself then. Wow, maybe I won't write back to Dad about this one. "Yeah I'm fine. I think I've had worse days in the Mines already."

Penny took a step towards Bobbi. "I heard they were open again, are you staying safe in there?"

"Mmmm, I wouldn't call it safe but with a trusty weapon like this bent pocket knife, I'm doing OK," Bobbi said indicating the hilt sticking out of her backpack.

"Please do be careful," Penny said, taking another step. "I wouldn't want to hear of anything bad happening to you."

"OK, if I get hurt, I'll make sure you don't find out then," Bobbi offered.

"That's-- you're being funny again." But there was no smile. "I know you're just saying that to make me feel better which is very nice of you, but you need to take good care of yourself. You seemed not to be doing so well yesterday during the Egg Hunt." Ug, how much did she notice? I sure can't tell her about what Pam-- her Mom added to the punch. Maybe she knows already but is too embarrassed to mention it.

"I was just overworked yesterday, Penny," Bobbi explained, not entirely falsely, "but I'm doing great today and I promise to keep myself out of trouble in the Mines." A pause. "Yes, well, as out of trouble as I can manage. It's me after all," Bobbi finished with a smile, producing a dandelion from her pack. Bobbi, you big smoothie.

"Thank you and thank you, Bobbi," Penny said with her smile returning. "I'll be enjoying this myself this evening. I won't keep you any longer as you're busy. Even when you say you're not, you faker." Some lighthearted admonishment? That's new from Penny. "Take care of yourself, Bobbi." And she went back to her spot to finish reading.

"Thanks Penny, you take care, too." Eating alone this evening... Was that dropping a hint of something? A reference to not being happy with Pam? Something else?

Bobbi, you're barely good enough when taking things at face value, guessing will likely get you in trouble.

But then trouble is frequently where the fun is...

Bobbi picked up the forgotten kale at home and turned them into more cauliflower seeds at Pierre's, bumping into Abigail, but she was saddled with another all-nighter so Bobbi let her go quickly, and avoided making film references at her expense. After planting the seeds at the farm with the newfangled Speed-Gro, Bobbi decided that a trip to the Mines without telling Penny would be useful as she could stop by Robin's for a reminder on the farm upgrade extortion plan.

4000g and lotsa stone and wood for the coop. Yeah, to the Mines. Robin mentioned that some other stuff takes Hardwood, need a better axe for that, like the one she lost. Which I totally and predictably forgot about. That 250g will come in handy for the Coop if I ever find it. Hmmm, it seems that Pam's punch potion didn't do my memory any favors.

Bobbi made only to level 13 in the Mines as she encountered some new bug which just loved flying right at her. Well, I must be more attractive than I thought. To bugs. They yielded bug meat for bait which at least smelled better than fish. On the last level Bobbi got the impression that ankle biters were dragging her down and finally noticed some things grabbing for her boots from the muck. Everywhere you turn, this place is just gross, but they eventually yielded to her various flailings and careful sword pokes and one even dropped a cherry bomb. On her way out, Bobbi relived the good old days of getting slimed a few times because only one coat of slime was just not enough.

The flies almost did Bobbi in as she barely made it to the escape ladder before being bitten to a pulp. Penny would never have let her live that down only a few hours after saying she'd be careful. Walking home late at night looking like a bruise, but carrying a nice looking quartz she'd picked up, Bobbi saw Abigail entering Pierre's and realized that she was probably just starting her homework.

Back at home, Bobbi realized she had enough copper for a tool upgrade. Which one? Pick, axe, watering can? Robin mentioned needing a better axe for hardwood so maybe that? Feeling that she probably spent more time chopping than rock splitting or watering, she decided on the axe. And realized she had no money, it was all tied up in seeds in the ground. Woo, planning! I'm the super-best!

OK, time to stop buying all those expensive handbags and golden slippers from Pierre and maybe save for a few days. Fish. Or chop wood for the coop. Decisions. Best left for tomorrow.

Zzzzzzzz......

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
Bobbi awoke to a feeling of incompleteness, not of something she she forgot to do, but of something she should have done for much longer.

Sleep.

This getting up early thing has got to go and I'm apparently the only one in town who does it, seeing as everyone's closed 'til 9. Really, how can I expect to integrate into the local snooze culture on a lack of sleep?

Outside, Evelyn had left a letter reminding Bobbi of something she should have realized already but being a rather rudimentary farmer, had eluded her: Crops grow in their season.

And die in other seasons.

It's hard to be annoyed at Evelyn for pointing out the obvious when that didn't even occur to me in the first place. OK, don't plant these Slo-cauliflowers towards the end of the season but the parsnips might be fine.

Or just plant nothing. Ah, now that's the kind of shrewd decisionmaking you're rewarded with after proper sleep!

Looking in her boxes, Bobbi noticed that she already had way more stone than needed for the coop. Sooo, I didn't need to go mining yesterday. Good one, Bobbi. All part of the Flim Flam Farm motto:

Assume first and facepalm afterwards.

Need wood though, so that axe upgrade will come first. Then the coop. After 6000g, lol! What's that, a month of fishing? Bobbi chopped a bunch of wood until she got tired and then finished the watering. The day felt over yet it was only midmorning, but at least there was some decent field snack yield. Heading south to fish at the river, Bobbi heard some faraway clinking sounds and soon enough, voices.

Jas and Vincent were chattering excitedly about some sounds they were hearing in the sewer near the cliffs and wondering whether something was trying to get out. Bobbi, having already tried the locks, assured them it was only giant rats or alligators and that people rarely lost more than one or two limbs at a time to them.

The satisfying shrieks of horror were rewarding but ultimately tempered by their cowering proximity behind Bobbi's overalls. Lamenting the tradeoffs inherent in children, and after an eyeroll, Bobbi offered to have a peek into the sewer grating to see if there was a hint of brown or green in there. Rattling the grating a little, Bobbi mentioned that the lock looked a little flimsy and expressed a hope that any creatures contained within were either small or malnourished. Hearing concerned noises from the bluff above, she walked up and mentioned that, on the other hand if the sewer creatures were too small they might slip through the bars and, poking Vincent in the stomach, they wouldn't be malnourished for long.

They both practically jumped in the air as a groan and a clink came from the sewer below and disappeared behind Bobbi again. Deciding that paying therapy bills could delay getting the coop and kitchen upgrade, Bobbi assured them that the sewer was in order like the one in town, and it was secured with a fat padlock whose key had probably been lost long ago. As they started back towards town, Jas mentioned she saw Gunther drop a big rusty key at the Library one day and maybe it could fit in the lock. But Vincent's jittery feet had already broken into a run over the bridges with Jas following, protesting with a plaintive "wait up!" and they disappeared across the river into Marnie's house. Hmmm, I'll definitely forget about that key until well after I really need it.

Noting that there were voluminous amounts of ripe wild berries on many of the local bushes, Bobbi collected them, hoping that they'd bring in at least a little g towards realizing her animal husbandry dreams. Well, more like heavy handed suggestions from the town. Animals were probably a lot of effort.

OK this is actually a ruse, a work sentence imposed by the local Business Commission.

Having now completely forgotten about fishing, Bobbi rather enjoyed her day flitting from bush to bush in Cindersap Forest picking berries-- until she found the thing. The thing she'd forgotten.

Well, one of many forgotten things but this one was right in front of her, making the unforgetting bit pretty easy for once.

Robin's Axe. Just had to be. Because it looked like a real axe, not just a chipped, glorified meat cleaver. Wow, Robin wanders pretty far afield to gather her wood. Heh, she doesn't like living in an ugly treeless forest so she heads way the heck down here to fell her lumber.

She's a NIMBY.

Lol, she'd hate the farm, maybe I'll leave a ton of stumps around the place when she comes over to build the coop. I'll probably never hear the end of it! With a silly grin on her face, Bobbi made a point of picking berries towards town and saw Haley arrive across the river and start taking pictures with a very expensive looking camera. Recalling that Haley mentioned photography after Bobbi's Wizard encounter, she noted how unusually focused Haley was on task and decided not to ruffle the feathers of the local wildlife. Instead, Bobbi headed to town.

Catching Emily coming out of the house, Bobbi brought out a Daffodil which, against the odds, spread the smile on Emily's face even wider.

"Oooh, thanks so much for this Bobbi, let me put it on the foyer table! Now, I wouldn't want to compete with Haley's cluster in the kitchen, " Emily said with an arched eyebrow and almost not an eyeroll. "She not very subtly put them on the table and then practically shoved it against my bedroom door. As if I forgot her birthday, but...," and a different smile appeared on Emily's face. With a sly grin, she continued, "I was messing with her just to see what her reaction would be. ...which was wasted effort as it turned out about as I expected."

"Anyways, just like last year, I waited 'til she left the house and cooked her Mom's special pink cake with ingredients I saved from last summer, candy hearts on the top and everything, and even put the table back so she wouldn't miss it." Another smile appeared on Emily's face and she leaned in close to Bobbi, lowering her voice, "But Haley insists she cooks a better pink cake, so me making it annoys her ever so slightly and... well... you know. With every bite she's thinking how hers would be better." Leaning out again, Emily shook her head. "Can you believe Haley and I are sisters? We don't even try to be different, it just happens naturally. Strange, isn't it?" Emily paused, musing... and a surprised look flashed across her face. "I was just going to work, I'll be late! But I'll pop these in the house first, thanks, Bobbi!" Emily disappeared into the house and then reappeared, waving, rushing to the Saloon.

"Have fun at work!" Bobbi said with a wave. Seeing Penny and Maru sitting on the park bench, Bobbi walked over.

"Hello, Ladies!" Bobbi greeted them.

"Hi Bobbi," Penny said.

"Hey Bobbi," Maru started, "so I picked up a parsnip from Pierre's yesterday for Mom as she wanted something different and she said it was the best one she'd seen in a while. Tasted pretty good, too. I'll just not mention that it was the only one she's seen for a while, but that's just between you and me and Penny. Now, it seems that Pierre's selection started widening a bit recently, just a few days after you arrived here. And started working your farm. But Pierre didn't mention anything about any lady farmers selling him anything..." Maru wrinkled her nose and her glasses slid down a bit. "I'm just wondering about things out loud... Any thoughts?"

"That Pierre's a stinker and is taking credit for... other people's efforts?" Bobbi asked, playing along.

"No, never that," Maru said with a mock frown and a head shake. Penny failed to suppress a little laugh. "I mean," Maru considered, "he sells other stuff that he's quite proud of, I wonder where those come from?"

"Well at the Festival, he was selling on some 'Rare Seeds'," Bobbi made air quotes, "he'd recently come into possession of, which ended up being pretty decent but not overly rare. Just strawberry seeds."

"Oh really?" Suddenly Maru's casual snark was gone, replaced by avid interest and sparkling eyes behind spectacles. "Did you buy any, can you grow them on your farm?" What Maru is this? Did I say today's special word?

"Yes, I think I bought 6, drained my bank account for them," Bobbi recalled. "Aaaand planted them with some 'Speed-Gro' stuff which I'm sure is some experimental soil chemistry enhancer which hopefully results in giant mutant monsters which wake to ravage the land. But taste really good." Bobbi was acting out the ravaging bit to Penny's enjoyment but Maru was having none of it.

"Dad invented that stuff, it's perfectly normal," Maru said with a straight face. "Just a nitrogen booster, plant food, and sprinkled with a bit of organic nuclear waste."

Bobbi snorted, laughing and Penny almost fell off the bench.

"OK, OK," Maru continued, "Um, actually that's cool that you're using the Speed-Gro, let me know how it goes," she said with a gaze planted on Bobbi. "And could you maybe save me one of two of the strawberries?" Maru's eyes are pretty brown. Brown and pretty. Penny's right there, luckily still composing herself. Break eye contact. Soon.

"O-of course Maru, I didn't realize you liked them so much," Bobbi said, blinking. "I'll save a bunch for you."

"Well," Maru said, getting up, "clearing my head after today's design failures, ehhh-- challenges! has been quite a treat. I'd have walked here sooner if I'd known you gals would be here. See ya Penny, see ya, Bobbi." A hug for each and she was off to the north.

"Bobbi, that was a very nice thing you did there," Penny said. "Maru knows how expensive strawberries are and it was very kind of you to offer her some of your harvest."

"OK Penny, 2 things:" Bobbi emphasized with slightly widened eyes, "I may not even be able to grow them. I don't know if I'm doing everything right. Anything right! And, well... I don't know how much strawberries sell for. I mean the seeds were kinda expensive but," Bobbi moved in to Penny, whispering conspiratorially, "if you don't tell me the price, then I don't know how much I'm missing." Bobbi elbowed Penny softly in the side with raised eyebrows. "Pretty good idea, eh? The price can be Maru's and your secret."

Bobbi pulled back and tapped herself on the head. "Big brain."

Penny smiled and said, "You're a very strange person. In a good way! Not a bad way. You're different, thanks for being my friend," and she gave Bobbi a hug. "I'll see you later. Take care, Bobbi." And Penny headed home.

That went well. Really well.

What did I do?

I don't know but I think I was nice and I think I lost the profit from my strawberries. But I know what Maru likes and that's pretty cool after the fail from over a week ago. Still in a daze, Bobbi passed Abigail who greeted her saying, "Hey, taking a break from work? Me too!" And she breezed on her way. Bobbi didn't even have time to respond which was fine as she hadn't finished thinking about Maru's eyes. And Penny's hair.

Passing by Robin's house, Bobbi remembered why she was there. Payoff!

Back inside, Robin was very relieved. "You found it! OK, don't tell me, I left it leaning behind a tree near the lake next to Marnie's Ranch."

"Well, I had to fetch it from the top of the Wizard's tower, he was using it as a lightning rod since his evening experiments were destroying the roof. You'd never have found it." Bobbi kept a straight face for upwards of 2 seconds and Robin's blank look with a lowering eyebrow let Bobbi know that her ruse wasn't particularly effective. But a smile from both at the same time broke the ice with mutual laughter.

"If you'd told me he used the handle as kindling for that cauldron of his, that would have worked better," Robin recommended, taking the axe.

"Duly noted, I'll use that on someone else," Bobbi said. "Pay it forward."

Robin smirked, "Well, you've probably saved my career and my feet as I almost chopped off my toe the other day using my old rusty axe. Leah made me promise not to use it anymore but I was getting real antsy. Here's your reward, worth every g. I've got to go out and use this right now. Thanks again, Bobbi!"

"You're welcome Robin, and thanks for the g!" Bobbi said as she left the house.

Bobbi caught a few fish at the lake and remembered the Help Wanted request for slimes so made for the Mines. She hit Level 5 and 11 via the elevator and knocked a few into submission, picking up some pretty stones before leaving and finally heading to the Adventurer's Guild. Knocking, Marlon answered from within, "What's the password?"

What? Seriously? Getting her dander up, Bobbi yelled, "I killed a bunch of slimes and junk and got my ankles bit! Good enough?!"

"Oh. Ankle-biters, huh?" Marlon said though the door. In a softer voice, he asked someone,"...that good enough? Should I ask 'er to get a pepper rex? Or Lewis? I'd love to knock the starch outta him!" A pause. "Yeah, yeah..."

Louder now, Marlon announced, "All right, yeh can come in!" Opening the door, Bobbi found a less impressive room than she'd anticipated. The bear skin on the floor was good ambience but no mounted heads on the wall was a bit of a letdown. There were a few implements of the adventuring trade scattered about, but fewer than Bobbi expected. Apparently they really were in need of new blood.

"Him's Gil," Marlon said jabbing a gnarled thumb in the direction of someone seemingly asleep on a rocking chair, which nevertheless was moving. Slightly. "Don't bug him unless ye done killed a whole mess of varmints in the Mines. Check the list on the wall, it's usually pretty close and no, I won't tell you how we know." A pause.

"'Cuz I don't know either, that's Gil's thing." Marlon threw Gil a slightly annoyed look but to no avail as Gil seemed spectacularly unperturbed. Perusing the threadbare catalog, Bobbi found a wooden sword was was not worth the upgrade g over her current one. Making a point of not saying anything, Bobbi noted that Marlon seemed a bit nervous. "Eh, we haven't had eh, a lady like you in here in a while. Eh, Gil?" No reaction. "OK, no ladies at all. None that'll swing a sword, that is." A pause. "You slice down those murdering mine monsters and that's all what we care about. And listen, you make a point of hitting those lower floors and I'll get you some better pokers. No point keeping good metal in stock if it rusts in the scabbard."

Time to let Marlon off the hook. If he sweats any more, he'll ask me to mop this place and I don't want to risk making a clean spot. "Sounds good Marlon, I'll be hitting more floors in the mine pretty soon so if'n you can keep something good in stock, I'll buy. Until then." And Bobbi left with a wave, to which Marlon nodded, perhaps already looking relieved.

Maybe he's not the prankster I thought he might be, or I just caught him off guard, we'll see.

Back home, Bobbi binned some fish and other duplicate items, a bush berry and her best looking spring onion, just in case that one brought in a little more g. Everything helps.

Ahhhhhh... Bed really is the best part of this place.......