Writing Bobbi? I suppose...

Lew Zealand

Helper
I don't know what I'm doing here.

This thing entered my head and wouldn't get out. It followed me on my evening walks enough to interfere with my podcast routine and intruded on my limited game playing time. Like an insistent cat, except that cats don't follow you on walks. All that much.

To the point that I started writing it a few days ago and expected it then to go away like so many other things I start. But I came back to it today and did a bit more and sorta have an idea of where it may go. Maybe. Bobbi is lazy and gets it from me, we'll see if I can keep this going because there's a story in there...

Bobbi was missing something. Or maybe something was missing? Pulling on her boots, getting ready for a match in the locker room, these feelings occurred to Bobbi at inopportune moments when focus on the next 7 frenzied minutes of competition should be all-encompassing. Closing her eyes, she mentally played through the fluid motions of the ball, her car, and her opponents inevitable predictability, head tilting right and left, up and back with the images in her head. Matches barely required skill or execution in excess of daily drills nowadays, punctuated by an occasional surprisingly brilliant play from her opponents... and the dumbfoundingly rare display of adequate defense from her ever rotating roster of teammates. They didn't stick around very long as one bad play, not infrequently an own goal, resulted in Ms. Crashy being released from her cage.

Demolishing an opposing team member was a rare thing as they never deserved it but her own teammates, yeah those idiots should be fair game. Stupid Rocket League rules. Fair play should mean that you can demo anyone on the pitch, not just opponents.

Bobbi paid ever increasing salaries to drivers just to entice them to join the Zuzu City Chickens, but of course they never lasted. One mistake and it was Hulk Smash!! time.

...followed by I quit! time. Frequently accompanied by rather more colorful language which was occasionally warranted. Mostly rarely. Maybe the last time, not this one of course!

Friends were hard to come by, Bobbi still knew some people from college but she dropped out to compete while they finished, and you know how that goes. That's what Bobbi told herself at any rate. They never called her, either, right?

As Rocket League nights stopped covering all the bills with the scarcity of affordable teammates, she added a day job as a Joja worker bee on the far side of town. It was a paycheck, and few people there were even aware of the ZC Chickens (and associated reputation) as her sport was drowned out by the local Gridball nutcases. Even with her reputation unknown, there seemed to be a similar shortage of camaraderie in Jojaville as in the locker room or stadium bar afterwards.

Nestled in her cubicle the following morning, noting that sore knees weren't typically discussed by the twentysomething watercooler herd just within earshot, Bobbi this time was taken by the impression that she had unwittingly negotiated past something... that she shouldn't have. That she might be eluding herself rather than everyone else.

"Hmmph! It's my life, my hobby and if people can't deal with it then too bad for them," Bobbi thought. Followed by, "Who're you fooling, not even you."

Dumping her cube drawer over after a futile forage for her ever elusive USB drive, she noticed an unopened letter drop out and slip behind the file cabinet. "Huh, I though I'd sorted and chucked yesterday's mail this morning," Bobbi mused halfheartedly. "Meh, I'll fish it out later."

Late that evening after the usual combat on the pitch, Bobbi recalled the flash of white and accompanying anachronistic seal, like something from a fairytale. She paced around a bit and threw Mom's old plush apple squishie at the cat when it tried to wrap itself around her legs. "Cat loves to play with that thing like it's a best friend. Weird."

"...wait, wasn't that Grandpa's?" thought Bobbi. "From that time years ago when mom dropped me off to visit," continuing out loud. "Yeah yeahyeah, all I could focus on was how one day that sword on the mantle was gonna be mine! ...aaand that same apple thing was on the mantle next to it. Of course all I ended up with was an envelope with instructions to open sometime later. Ooo, soooo mysterious!" But it seemed really important to him in an oddly compelling way so she kept it first at home, then in the locker room, then at Joja. From bad to worse.

Isn't that what he said? Something about... opening it at the right time? Or the wrong time? Whichever, it felt like that time now. "Why do I always figure these things out after they become important?" Exasperation. So familiar.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Under the cover of... the next morning, embedded deep within the cube farm, Bobbi hatched her rescue mission which was immediately thwarted by enemy action. “Who put these things together? Why would you bolt a munchkin-sized file cabinet to a modular cube wall and leave gaps??” Annoyed, Bobbi tried to remember the name of the cube monkey to her left but realized that neither being a hamster nor a fan of mazes meant she never discovered the route leading there. Mostly because she managed to find the coffee, restroom, and Exit before then and wisely decided to cut her losses.

Sneaking over to the opposing cube to her right where Steve, her pet skeleton sat, she inspected the cabinet there and found similar maddening build quality. Great. Over the course of months, Bobbi migrated among the cubes to keep things fresh, usually when someone left she’d take up residence in a new one but always kept Steve in the cube opposite to retain the illusion of privacy. A steady supply of open cubes and fresh meat for Joja meant Steve always met his residency requirement.

“Cooper!”

Bobbi froze in surprise. The boss. “Yes sir!” Ibrahaim answered even though that tone was usually reserved for another Cooper.

“Not you, the other one. Where is she?” he asked. He’ll never find me here, thought Bobbi, he hates the cube farm almost as much as the rest of us. Its sightlines were rarely an advantage thanks to his stature and likewise Bobbi wasn’t often chosen first for volleyball matches, so she just ducked and covered in place. He wasn’t a bad guy thought Bobbi, but really, who calls anyone else by their last name. When there are two of us?

He strolled quickly down her cube avenue but found nobody who made eye contact. “Tell her to see me when she has a minute... and no it’s not a bad thing.” Heh, kudos for letting us know, he’s getting the hang of it.

Time to end this. Back across the way, after some wrangling Bobbi removed the drawer and gained access to the cabinet’s inner wall. A few minutes later with the bolt removed and the cabinet aside, she finally had her now-precious letter back. Funny how a curio can become the sole focus of existence over the course of a few hours.

She read the note and it was shorter than anticipated.

...lost connection with what mattered in life

...real people and nature

a Farm?! In Stardew Valley... hmmm, someone got the marketing right with the name.

It’s the perfect place to start your new life.

Rereading it a couple of times, the bubble of reality around her was about a foot wide. Anything could have happened on the outside and she’d never have known. Luckily in cube detention there was little risk.

Slowly putting it down, not wanting to let it out of her sight lest it vanish like some pumpkin carriage, she gathered her meager possessions in a box, grabbed Steve and headed for the door.

She stopped close to the end of the row “Hey Arlene, meet Steve, your new best buddy. Grab your things, head to my old cube wayyy down the row and pop Steve in there. And take the cube opposite, I’m outta here and maybe the change of scenery will help avoid the extra attention from that new guy.” Wink, wave and gone out the door.

After sending the cat next door which he always preferred anyway thanks to a superior selection of snacks, Bobbi sent off a couple of hasty "impromptu vacation" emails to Joja and the Chickens, stowed a few items in her backpack and headed to the station.

However the kiosk showed no trains heading to Stardew Valley and real human beings behind a counter were rare as hen's teeth. Finally a security guard pointed her to the opposite end of the concourse where the bus station booth was still occupied by an older lady at the far end.

"Stardew Valley?" A blank look and then a light behind widening eyes. "Yeeeesss...... lets see... I think I remember from years ago, a mom and 1 or 2 kids asking for tickets with a tall guy trailing behind with too much luggage, books I think. You can just buy books again, why do people travel with them? You know--"

"Sorry," Bobbi cut in, "but are there any tickets available to Stardew Valley today?"

"Such a hurry, are you sure Zuzu City isn't a better place?"

Bobbi smiled. "I think I need something new, a change of pace."

"Now that sounds about right... Here's your ticket, dear, the bus will leave in an hour and you need to tell the driver where you're going because I don't think she's ever dropped anyone off there."

On the bus, Bobbi had time to think. What was she doing? Was it a vacation? A tryout? An escape from reality?

An escape to reality?

Passing a sign saying Stardew Valley 5 Mi, trepidation increasing, Bobbi mused that she wasn't usually adventurous. She'd only ditched school to compete professionally because Rocket League had captivated her as a girl with the movements, angles, flying cars (which she rarely got a handle on)... and of course gratuitous explosions. But this felt different.

Should I get off when I see another stop and go back? Looking at her ticket she noticed it was for a one way trip. What? The lady didn't even ask if she wanted a return! What is this, a roach motel? Maybe stay on the bus until it reaches the next city and plead ignorance? She was paralyzed with indecision and starting to sweat.

Looking out the window, they passed the 0.5 Mi to Stardew Valley sign and Bobbi noticed scintillating sunlight reflecting off a lake. There seemed to be a shimmer in the air and the hair on the back of her neck stood up. She furtively glanced around but it seemed that nobody else on the bus noticed. Noticed the green rolling hills, birds alighting on branches. Like she was waking up from an odd dream into reality. The place felt like a missing tranquil part of Zuzu City had escaped long ago and settled here.

Stepping off the bus, Bobbi was greeted by a redhead with an easy smile who somehow already knew her name. Robin introduced herself and offered to lead Bobbi to the farm. Pondering while walking, Bobbi thought that maybe a connection to the land was what she was missing, that she didn't need that crush of people in the city, just some solitude and Nature. But every time Robin said something, Bobbi got this feeling of a little spinning heart somewhere. Maybe connecting with new people isn't a bad thing, she thought, sneaking little glances at Robin.

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
Turning right on a tree-enclosed path, Bobbi peeked to the left and thought she glimpsed some civilization in the distance, maybe a sign or something, but as they headed in the opposite direction their surroundings became increasingly unkempt. Arriving at a sort of clearing, there was a house surrounded by weeds, bushes, fallen branches and rocks. The farm must be on the other side of the house, thought Bobbi.

...a tiny farm hiding behind the small house. Mmmmm, more like a garden? She craned her neck to maybe spy a patch of soil. Some tomatoes might fit somewhere-- Just then with a mock grandiose sweep of her arm, Robin announced they had arrived at Flim Flam Farm! But the sweep of her arm was towards the thistle patch that even Eeyore might pass up in lieu of a spa day.

Unable to contain her utter surprise at the tangled mess of slimy grass mats and likely fetid ponds full of junk like old paper and broken glass, Bobbi barely heard Robin question her reaction and insist that there might be farmland hiding under Nature's most perfect expression of entropy. Entranced by the sight of this apparently well-disguised farm, Bobbi almost jumped out of her skin when an older man burst out of the tiny farmhouse door, declaring himself the mayor of Pelican Town.

What's this now? Is this guy from the town next door and came by to visit Stardew Valley? I need a map to figure this area out, Bobbi thought. When Mayor Lewis spoke, again Bobbi had that impression of a little spinning heart. But why with the old man, not just Robin? What craziness is going on here? Is there some weird mind altering mold living in the dirt around this place? I came here to do the farming, Bobbi thought, ain't no fungus gonna be planting me in the ground to use as food.

Lewis mentioned how everyone was looking forward to meeting the new guy-- great, like middle school all over again, time to lose another popularity contest. Maybe they can put me in an aquarium in an old town building as a curio. However, as Robin and Lewis chided each other Bobbi realized that they seemed to enjoy each other's company, and hers as well. Part of ditching the city for the country was an attitude change and the time to start was now. And Lewis said as much, encouraging her to mingle with everyone tomorrow.

Darkness enveloping the rubble strewn landscape of Flim Flam, Bobbi stood on the porch thinking maybe it looked smaller at night, like it might just be doable. Ok maybe chatting up the locals is doable, not the actual working the farm bit, that'll come later in the day. Or week.

Bobbi fell asleep in the tiny-- cozy cottage thinking about how much a change of scenery helps, even if her own yard was a bigger mess than an abandoned lot back in Zuzu City.

There was a package on the floor.

Bobbi sat up in bed and looked around for anything funny but with no laughter within earshot she approached the box. It'd been dark by the time she turned in and hadn't looked about, so apparently missed this. Good thing there weren't rats about or she might have needed smaller shoes from excessive rodent toe-nibbling. Opening the package she found Parsnip seeds, a tattered map of the area, 500g, and a note.

"Plant Me and water every day"

I'll just assume that means the seeds, Bobbi thought. Parsnips? What are those, I think I remember them from a joke or something. And so much for visiting the locals, not a very subtle introduction to manual labor but this is what you came here for, right? Outdoors, not socializing? Flip flop flip flop, Bobbi brain can't decide how to balance two things, she could barely do one at a time back at her job. Well, things should be simpler here, one thing at a time.

A fat TV sat in the corner. What'd mom say? Rot your brain. Yep, that TV'll be staying off. Hm, someone said "rustic" yesterday, not even a kitchen, I guess it'll be cooking over the fireplace or it's raw veggies every day.

Heading out, she found some old tools leaning up next to the woodpile. A pickaxe, what is this, Minecraft? Hm, no diamonds on this thing. Well it might be iron, at least it's not wood! Noting that her face still had rounded bits on it, she took in the Axe, Hoe, Scythe and Watering Can. Scythe a few weeds, pickaxe a few rocks (also not cuboid) chop a bit of wood and there was enough space for the 'snips. Hoe, plant, water, and the day's work is done! Fake it 'til you make it.

This was nice and all but where's the tractor? Are farms allowed not to have tractors or something? They get banned because too many teenagers were playing Tractor Chicken like in Footloose? This looks like too much work, Bobbi thought, sitting under a tree. And where are the sprinklers? This place looks semi-arid, not sure it's gonna rain enough to keep the crops watered. Maybe I can ask the other farmers in the area what they do...

Time to head back down that path towards the sign and hopefully town, maybe see Robin again.

OK... Lewis, too.

Dr. eeL

Farmer
Hoppy the frog feels insulted that the new human refers to his home as "fetid and full of old paper and broken glass". Have you even looked at his pond?

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
About to head into town Bobbi realized her backpack was full of tools and various Farm junk. Seemed a bit disingenuous for Ms. Fresh-from-Zuzu to try looking like she's a local or something. Just be yourself.

Yeah so where does this all go? In the drawer under the TV Bobbi found an old book of local flora and fauna and some blueprint type things for fences, paths, some other stuff... and a storage box!

Um, wow, that's a lot of wood, let's see if that axe Ms. Bobbi is up to some tree chopping...

2-1/2 hours later and nearly spent for the day, Bobbi had an ugly box in front of the house to bung her junk in. She kept the small scythe because it was fun to wield. Swoosh, swoosh, chop. I am Death, hear me trim weeds! Bring me Max Von Sydow and a tanning bed!

Head to town? Nahhh, too tired.

...but Lewis said the town was eager for new blood and we mustn't keep the vampires waiting.

Bobbi picked some daffodils on the way into town near a broken down bus she hadn't previously noticed. Too tired to care, she arrived in town to the sight of another redhead. Perking up, she said "Hi," and Leah introduced herself, remarking about the nice weather. "See you 'round," and Leah headed into a store. Hmm, she was--

Bobbi almost bumped into another woman who at least looked like she'd be a soft landing had Bobbi's reactions been a bit slower. Marnie sold livestock at a ranch somewhere. Do ranches have tractors? I don't remember Clint Eastwood driving any of those. Nuts.

She followed someone in a green jacket to a grassy park but he didn't look like Jack Nicklaus or Tiger Woods. A very nice Doctor who likes his work but looked a bit distracted. Bobbi was wondering what his assistant or companion might look like, and whether they also had a moustache.

Bobbi headed over to Pierre's to see what went on in there but a calendar hanging outside caught her eye. People had stuck portraits on a few dates, gotta be birthdays. I wonder when I get mine on here? Lewis, a kid, pretty girl, older woman, some other people.

Egg Festival.

What's that gonna smell like? Must remember not to pull any fingers... and Bobbi snickered inwardly at being juvenile. Flower Dance?? Oh no this really is going to be like middle school! Do I bring a flower, give a flower? "I have flowers," Bobbi said to nobody, looking at her daffodils. Keep them for the dance? Rolling her eyes, "they'll be dead by then," she thought. Say "Hi" to a few more people and get home before your brain leaks out your ear.

Ah, a general store, real food and other things! And someone with green eyes and... hair? Caroline, married to Pierre behind the counter, they have a daughter with--

Purple hair. More hair colors. This place is all about the hair.

What do I do with my hair?

Bobbi tied hers back this morning to keep it off her face while working and forgot about it until just then. Suddenly feeling very self conscious, she smoothed it out while Caroline bustled past with a "Bye!"

Checking the seed and food selection, Bobbi noticed old Lewis was a cheapskate: Parsnips were the cheapest seeds in the place. Smirking, she bought cauli, bean, potato, and I guess kale. Don't like it but I'll bet it sells for a decent price. Pfft! Flower seeds, I can just pick daffodils. Hmmm... which I can sell here but for next to nothing, not even another cauli seed. I'll keep 'em and give 'em to Robin or Leah.

Who have unusual but normal hair.

Did Lewis even have hair? He had a cap on, I bet he's hiding something...

Back outside, Caroline was talking to probably another mom and Bobbi walked over. Oh! Apparently Jodi was expecting someone else? Maybe if I'd worn a red cassock I could've been even less as she expected... Still, she was excited for someone new in town. Yeah, how much excitement does (OK, doesn't) this place get?

Ignoring a kid in a nearby yard, Bobbi greeted Evelyn who preferred "Granny." Yeah, already have one of those who I don't visit often enough. Spying the Stardrop Saloon, Bobbi headed over, noting that she should visit-- when she spied a cute girl in glasses walking past a messy yard.

One quick intercept path later, Maru was relating how eager she was to meet Bobbi, all with a big smile. Likewise, Bobbi thought. And may have said.

She wasn't sure.

Maru also mentioned the community dynamic-- seriously, does anything happen here?!? On a spur of the moment, Bobbi offered Maru a daffodil which she accepted with a polite "Thanks." And went on her way.

Not terribly excited about that. Hm, seeing as daffodils are endemic here, maybe that's a lame gift. Nice one, Bobbi. Oh look there's the graveyard, how appropriate. Time to head somewhere else quick or I'll just go home and call the day a loss.

Wandering north past a playground and a dilapidated building (confirmed: nothing happens here), Bobbi felt a bit lost but finally remembered to pull out the old map. There was more town past here so she kept going until she bumped into scientist and dad, Demetrius. Maru's dad maybe? I guess he's the Mr. Wizard 'round these parts with his home lab, probably should steer clear of him unless he's the one bestowing hair colors. Ah, Maru is his daughter. Well, probably won't be seeing much of him anyway.

Just after 5pm Robin exited the house and headed over to Demetrius. Oh, she's Maru's mom. Yeah, maybe I won't be giving her a daffodil then, can you imagine the dinner conversation about the new girl handing out local weeds?

A short chat later and Bobbi was heading back to town a bit disconcerted. She decided to end the day at the Saloon but between here and there were 2 boys.

Hmm, cute boys I suppose... Approaching the one with the dog, Alex introduced himself and thought we'd get along and see ya. Not much of a chit-chatter. Certainly much of a looker though. However, Mr. 5 o'clock Shadow made Alex sound like a talk show host, not expecting anyone to talk to him. Something's wrong here if I'm the one with a personality.

Bobbi spotted Maru again on a bench chatting with a yet another redhead.

Srsly.

Hair again.

WTH?

Need to talk with Mr. Wizard about this.

Penny greeted Bobbi but didn't have much to say. That's 3 in a row, do brains turn off after 5pm here? Better not give Penny a daffodil right here though, Maru might get the right impression.

Wait.

Maybe it's me. Maybe they're normal and I'm the one making them act all funny.

It's my hair! Gotta be.

No pressure but I'm gonna need new hair. Bah! Who knows? Well some of them said they were looking forward to the new farmer, I guess not the others.

Getting late and not altogether positive about her first day in town, Bobbi remembered the seeds from Pierre's. Need to plant those back at the farm.

After chopping a stump to clear some space Bobbi realized that was way a waste of time and effort, better to leave 'em in. And those big stumps? They're clearly there for decoration, no need ever to take those out. All part of my plan!

Hoe plant water rinse repeat, at least tomorrow is water only and then back to bed. Sooooo tired... Well, maybe I could try to find some more antisocial people tomorrow. Hmm, didn't bump into Lewis today, maybe he's hangin' with Mrs. Lewis...

Open door, close, something something... zzzz.......

Lew Zealand

Helper
These windows need drapes or something because Bobbi doesn't need to be getting up at 6am every morning. Is this a farm life thing where the sun is your constant enemy? Wait no, I need the sun to grow things. Fine, whatever.

And no suspicious package on the floor today-- once again she'd forgotten to look the night before because tired but alas, no risk of stubbed toes. Bobbi brightened when she realized it should be a day only of watering so she headed out, grabbed the watering can and finished off before 7am.

Dunking the watering can at the little pond, Bobbi noticed it wasn't so fetid. The lily pads are cute and she saw many frogs hopping away while clearing the weeds yesterday. Mustn't be so judgemental.

Turning around, Bobbi spied the mailbox and checked it for spiders, holding the hoe out in front of her, ready to furrow and sow the menaces at the slightest provocation. And Bobbi wasn't disappointed as something was resident there, but to her surprise it was a letter.

Who'd be sending me a letter, nobody even knows I'm here. ...except for half the town. That I just met yesterday.

Hmmm, a note addressed to me to meet a Willy at the docks. Lol, more middle school? What's he gonna do, beat me up? OK Bobbi, you're being juvenile again. Turning it over, Bobbi noticed it looked like a form letter, not specifically addressed to her. How long's it been in the mailbox, maybe it was supposed to be for the previous occupant? Grandpa, squatters, spiders??

Whatever, today is exploring day so it's off to the beach!

Something was sticking out of the path towards town.

Bending down, Bobbi sniffed an oniony scent and not seeing a house anywhere close, she pulled it from the ground. It's mine now! Is that what an onion looks like in the wild? Can I sell it to Pierre? Will he know I pilfered uh, harvested it from a public location?

After picking more daffodils, Bobbi noted a Help Wanted sign with Alex requesting a carp. Mr. Fish Willy will be all over that! And Pierre's door was locked. Until 9am. Hey, these people know how to manage their day!

OK beach time, but first I spy Mr. Grumpy! ...wearing a Joja hoodie, is Joja here?!? That's completely unexpected, out of place, and kind of frightening. I need to check this out... later.

"Go away," eh? You don't mean it because my old teammates really meant it. You could see it in their eyes. I don't see that in yours. You will be less grumpy, Joja-boy, I'll see to that.

Hmm, Joja. Some things about this place feel just a bit... off. I wonder...

True to his word, Willy was at the beach with a fish tale to tell. Well, actually a fishing tale with a bamboo fishing pole for Bobbi at the conclusion. Huh, apparently the worse the fish smell, the more he'll pay for them. Sounds great if I need to keep someone away, maybe I'll mail an expensive one to Arlene.

Giving fishing a go proved to be far above the effort level Bobbi was considering so early in the morning. The first one got away but she did manage to catch the second one.

A whole, entire 1" sardine. Wow, just wow.

Embarrassing, that's not even bait. Or garnish. We'll just put that in the bin this evening...

On the way back to town she gathered shells and dug up stones from some loose sand. Note to self: don't get a metal detector, there's just junk buried everywhere...

On the bridge Bobbi saw the kid again walking by on a path, so she waited there enjoying the breeze and then continued on. And bumped into a second kid following him. One frozen surprised face later, a "Hi" squeaked out and she hurried along.

Purple hair. Prince's long lost family lives here, it has to be. There's something odd woven throughout this place, Bobbi thought, and I'm not so sure I want to find out about it.

Blue hair exited a house and started walking up the way. Wow, now that hair is really something else, thought Bobbi. Priority one should be finding the hairstylist in this place. When she talked that feeling of a spinning heart returned... Emily is a barmaid at the Saloon, oh and this is actually Pelican Town so I suppose Lewis isn't just the local nutcase. Well, that's not actually disproved yet.

Resisting the urge to follow Emily, Bobbi mused that if the barmaids looked like her in Zuzu she might have hung out there more often. And she has a personality unlike those wet fish from yesterday afternoon.

Fish.

I smell like fish. Great. Looking at the tiny sardine in her pack, Bobbi mused that hopefully she smelled only a tiny bit like fish as opposed to a tiny bitty fish.

Next to it, the daffodil! Scooting after Emily warning herself, "don't look too eager," she caught up and thrust it a bit awkwardly towards Emily saying, "Um, Emily, have a daffodil!" A big happy smile broke out on Emily's face and she probably mentioned something about positive synergy or lethargy, and Bye! It seemed good.

Too good?

Was that too much for a daffodil? Bobbi was reminded of Matt Groening's "Avoid These Elves" comic, with an array of mostly identical faces above names like Surly, Trashy, Grumpy...

...and Excessively Happy. Hm. Just a comic, right?

Now I'm out of daffodils and I doubt anyone wants this onion thing as I haven't seen any ogres in town yet. Remembering a fallen rock blocking a small paddock next to the dilapidated building up north, Bobbi headed over and broke it for its sweet, sweet weeds inside. Swoosh, swish, swoosh and no more weeds, Bobbi didn't always make those sounds herself, letting the wonderful scythe take a turn on occasion.

Noonday sweat on her face, Bobbi spied the most beautiful young woman enter the park and head the other direction from her current weeding. Should I even talk to her? No daffodil and what if she finds out I've been giving them away to everyone else? That will be bad, and she doesn't look like the onion type. I still have a sardine in my backpack. Fancy.

Can't resist! Haley seemed distracted, not really paying attention and made some crack about my clothes. "Yeah well that's what happens when you clean up the park," Bobbi didn't say. No little spinning hearts here, maybe I'll have a chance at a second impression...

Desperately looking for a daffodil shortly later, Bobbi crossed a small bridge and came upon... a Jojamart. I knew it, I felt a disturbance in some force. As if a few dozen people cried out for low prices and had their town spirit silenced.

The daffodil search was a success on the far side of town and hurrying back across the bridge, Bobbi practically ran over another purple-haired (!) girl, this one more Bobbi's age. This place is infested with attractive people, why am I here? Abigail, miffed that she can't explore the farm's overgrown fields anymore. Hey, you're welcome to, they're not going anywhere!

Quickly gauging the options, Bobbi kept to her original plan as Haley seemed more of a daffodil person than Abigail. If I get this wrong, I'll just pick parsnips for the next month and move back to Zuzu with dirt under my fingernails. Dirt! She cleaned her nails out while walking and managed not to bowl anyone over. Whew, Haley's still there.

Well, here goes nothing.

Hoping the internal wince wasn't showing too much on her face, Bobbi managed to offer Haley the daffodil in a mildly more composed state than with Emily. *Gasp* for me, thank you! With a big, happy look on her face. OK, that went better than expected. Wayyy better. Maybe I should clean up next time I see her or something.

In a slight daze, Bobbi meandered her way back to town musing about everyone she'd met. And Haley's hair. I don't even remember what color it is.

Dr. eeL

Farmer
You remember Matt Groening's, "Avoid these Elves." I remember his, "9 types of girlfriends." Now, which one is Bobbi?

Lew Zealand

Helper
You remember Matt Groening's, "Avoid these Elves." I remember his, "9 types of girlfriends." Now, which one is Bobbi?
I must have missed that one as usually I'll recognize something I have mentally misplaced in the ensuing 3 decades but I'm drawing a complete blank. Hopefully the internet is up to this one as Avoid These Elves was still not extant anywhere on the internet (!) as of 6 months ago.

Well now, the internet was much better about that one. Bobbi is closest to Ms. Vaguely Dissatisfied at this point but that will likely change.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Wandering somewhat aimlessly through town, Bobbi eventually made her way southwest to a ranch, probably Marnie's. Entering, Bobbi noticed 2 things, it was empty, but it was less empty than her cardboard box because they had a kitchen here. Must be nice... I wonder if Robin does kitchen installs?

Lots of weeds outside heading further southwest. Swish swish, this scythe is the real deal for farming life! Pick up a dandelion and a... something? What's this brownish thing? Well, no matter, the backpack's full so blobby brown is gonna stay there. Carrying the dandelion back into town Bobbi spied the kid again. Are these twins, or more? Oh maybe not as he was followed by Miss Hi ...and Penny, who was looking interestedly at Bobbi's dandelion.

Bobbi offered it to her, rewarded with a smile full of cheekbones and "Thank you, this looks special!"

Achievement unlocked: Personality

"I love making Dandelion green salads and sometimes even Mom has a bite, if she's actually home..." A slightly disappointed face that brightened instantly. She explained that she tutored Vincent and Jas (names !), which was a time-honored role as Mrs. Evelyn taught all of them then they were kids.

"Evelyn from town?" Bobbi asked.

"Oh yes," replied Penny, "have you met her, she's real nice and was a great teacher to all of us. Even if not everyone really appreciated her."

"Yes, she asked me to call her Granny," Bobbi remembered, "Who is 'everyone'?"

"Oh, she must like you already!" exclaimed Penny. "Mrs. Evelyn taught all of us in the old schoolhouse before Gunther came along and repurposed some of the space into the Archaeology Room or whatever he calls it. It's the Library now, no matter what he says. The 'everyone' is Elliot, Haley, Emily, Abby, Seb, Sam, Maru, Alex... um, 9... oh, and me!" Lots of cheekbones again.

"We were in a number of different grades but all close enough so it was one big, happy school. Well, mostly happy a lot of the time. Mrs. Evelyn started by tutoring Doctor Harvey when he was little-- I mean, he was just Harvey then," a slightly embarrassed look and a giggle, "and when we all came along she became a full teacher."

"Maybe if more kids come to Pelican Town," Penny said with a faraway look in her eyes, "I can be a teacher, too."

Vincent and Jas had bored looks on their faces suggesting they'd heard much of this before.

"...Sorry. I got carried away there," Penny offered, suddenly looking as if she'd overshared. "I've got to get the kids home. Bye!" Penny waved and shuffled Jas and Vincent off to their homes.

Waving to Penny did double duty as Haley turned a corner, waved back, and headed into a house. Ok that's where Haley lives. I don't know where anyone else lives-- except maybe Abigail who could live upstairs over Pierre's Store. Abby, the Abby from Penny's school days. What were the other names? Which one was Mr. Grumpy?

Time, all in due time.

Heading back to the brown blobby thing, Bobbi picked it, making a note to look it up in the manual and found some other forage across a bridge or two which she couldn't fit anywhere. Need to come back tomorrow and retrieve Nature's bounty. And Bobbi's spoils.

Looking at the map, the farm should be generally North but there was a lot of detritus in the way, which looked promisingly like the familiar part of her farm. Scything her way through, imagining herself on a safari, machete hacking through the Deep Dark... dark place, she eventually found a way back to her shack.

Yeah, this place needs some love compared to the houses in town. Unloading everything into the box, pockets empty... and 2 Daffodils from yesterday were in there. I could have used those! Stupid brain. Remember tomorrow, Bobbi.

8PM, head to the Saloon? Yup!

Shane was there but deep in thought. Or beer, can't tell the difference. I don't have the energy for you this evening, Clint is the local Blacksmith and can upgrade tools and stuff. Very valuable person to know, will have to stop in and see what's for sale.

Pam at the bar, kinda soused and a bit loud. Beer drinker. Hell raiser? Mmmm maybe earlier in life, probably has stories to tell.

Gus is the bartender? No, good thing you kept your mouth shut Bobbi, he's a Chef and the owner. And Emily, who was busy but had a smile and wave which Bobbi returned. Also a classmate of Penny's. I wonder what it was like for all of them to grow up here?

Taking a slow walk home Bobbi thought about Penny and her schoolmates. I didn't recognize some of those names, are they still here? Could be, I can't have met everyone yet. Again more tired than she'd expected, Bobbi slumped into bed somewhat aware that all she needed to do was water and wander tomorrow...

Mmmm, maybe just water...

Lew Zealand

Helper
Tat-tat-tap tappity tappity ti-ti-tap tap... "OK I'm awake, I'm awake. At least the curtains are working."

Oh, rain...

Oh, rain! I don't even need to water today! This just gets better and better.

Stay-in-bed day.

Boring.

This cardboard box is too small and that behemoth TV needs to go, the roommate that never pays the bills. Remembering the brown thing from yesterday, Bobbi hopped out of bed, fetched the plant manual from the TV drawer and found it was a horseradish. Definitely gotta go back and grab that!

Maybe the jungle outside looks better in the rain. Bobbi peeked outside and decided it did because she could see less of it. Checking the mail, Bobbi noticed the light rain was barely there though her meager crops at least looked pretty good with a sheen of water on them.

Pierre sent an advertisement for a big backpack for 2000g, Stop By Today! Yeah, I won't be affording that anytime soon unless these crops have an insane markup or the fish start jumping into my lap. Well, Pierre's was at least a destination on a day like today so Bobbi headed into town... To find that Pierre was closed for the day.

What, did I miss something? I wonder about his business if he can't pull off a single item promotion without getting it wrong. Maybe I'll get lucky and it's actually 200g courtesy of a typo.

Wandering about the empty town, Bobbi thought it looked pretty cool in the rain, like a ghost town washed clean of all the cobwebs. Licensed to be nosy by the absence of townies, she checked the huge, obvious sewer door but unsurprisingly it was locked. Yeah, well there're probably giant rats or alligators in there, it's the town zoo! Down at the beach she noticed a little abandoned cottage she'd somehow missed yesterday and a broken bridge nearby.

Ooo, with pretty shells on the beach on the other side. Hmm, I could fix that up and plunder the buried treayzhuures over there, thought Bobbi. And the unburied ones, too. There's gotta be enough trees growing between the bracken on the farm to do that, probably have it done by Fall.

So why hasn't Robin fixed it up? Hmmm, it's probably cursed. Or I've been watching too many movies...

Heading over to the pier, Bobbi noticed too late that Willy was out fishing on this fine morning to stay inside. And Bobbi's pole was sticking out of her backpack like a sentinel. A faintly raised eyebrow and slight head nod let Bobbi know that she was invited to fish as well and she crumbled to the peer pressure. Seriously, I don't need to repeat middle school, thought Bobbi as she set up, I hope it looks like I know what I'm doing.

After the initial satisfaction of a near perfect cast, the challenge quickly became just staying awake, waiting for anything to bite while the soft rain slowly seeped into her clothing. A nice tree would solve this. Finally a "bite" and a surprised jerk resulted in a face full of seaweed. Ok, that was less than smooth but they make sushi from this stuff so it must have some value. Just finished casting again, Willy headed into his shop. Whew, pressure's off, except that Bobbi got a quicker bite this time and a few minutes later of fighting and choice words resulted in a 10" dark fish. It looked like a real fish that someone might actually eat! She sold the Halibut (must remember that) to Willy for 80g, thinking that smelling damp and of the shoreline might not endear her to anyone living north of here.

Fetching the horseradish near the forest, Bobbi continued south and found a number of smaller oniony things and grabbed all of them. That manual is going to come in super-handy! There were lots of trees here that looked like they could be chopped to start on the bridge but searching her backpack she found no axe as she'd cleared space for errant daffodils. I really need that big pack! Looking in the distance Bobbi could just make out yet another dilapidated building, this one in need of serious repair. Nervous about getting lost in the misty rain, Bobbi retreated to town and noticed a sign on her way back. Cindersap Forest --- Pelican Town. LOL, how many of those have I missed already?

Scything weeds next to Haley's house (this thing is magic!), Bobbi spied the first person in town, someone new with predictably purple hair. Note: Invest in purple dye. Grow purple things like eggplants, plums, uh, grapes.... and eggplants! Let's see what the wheel of personality delivers this time.

Sebastian thinks it's cool that I just moved in but is perplexed why. Yeah, well, me too. He seems nice, I'll have to keep an eye out for him. Bobbi wandered to the big mountain lake to fish for a bit, which was far more relaxing under a tree, sans Willy. Now this really is the life! Caught a few, missed a bunch, pockets full again. Stupid Pierre is closed and Willy's clear across town.

Finding what could be a northern route back to the farm, Bobbi snatched another big onion to join her other one. Ah there's the broken bus, almost home and sure enough the scythe was needed to find the way back. If I ever go back to Zuzu, this is comin' with me, it'll go great with Steve Jr.!

The fish go in the bin as they're not getting anywhere near the house. Emptying her pack and trading her rod for the axe, Bobbi spent some time chopping trees down until she ran out of steam after dark. Today she noticed seeds in the ground and picked them up as she made her way and just before the end she tried the seaweed. Umm, almost sorta slimy and could have used some drying out beforehand but enabled those last few chops and steps before bed.

Looking at the pile of wood, she estimated that she was maybe halfway to getting her shells on that remote beach. Maybe next week... Sitting in bed reading the plant book, she found the big and little onions (Leek and Spring Onion) and the tree seeds she picked up. Which can be made into a Field Snack! Hey, no Kitchen needed. First thing tomorrow morning...

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
Ok who tore the curtains down?

Sunlight was streaming into the tiny farmhouse, dispelling any options of sleeping in. It really needs to rain more often here. Bobbi had somehow forgotten about the sun the previous day and thinking further, didn't know where to find any window coverings. Joja prison was not an option. Meh, yet. Maybe there's mail-order catalog as this place doesn't seem big enough to support a textile shop.

Picking up the plant book on the night stand, she saw a stamp on the inside back cover. Property of: SDV School System. That technically doesn't exist anymore, thought Bobbi, so I won't owe any overdue g which by now might force the foreclosure of the farm. Remembering Penny's story about the School becoming the Library, Bobbi made a mental note to find it. Could have more useful books like this one.

Which I'll just leave there while this one's out on extended loan.

Pondering the overdue fees again, Bobbi realized that she forgot to sell some of the forage she'd found because she was so tired last night. Need to remember that this evening, maybe nail a reminder to the door or something equally stylish. Outside, there was a note in the shipping bin with for 50g for the chub. I need a fish book so I can stay ahead of Willy and Lewis, definitely finding the Library today.

Bobbi watered her little garden which was clearly not a farm yet, and said Hi to the frogs in the pond. A very Zen morning. Though early. With a happy tune running through her head, Bobbi grabbed her daffodils and headed to town.

There's another thing sticking out of the ground.

Is there some geology happening here that I'm not aware of? Or gnomes planting stuff when people aren't looking, maybe I'm supposed to trip on it which someone uses as a joke photo of me on a TV show...

Less excitingly it ended up being a rather small, soiled book. Thinking back to her plant manual, Bobbi decided to head straight to the Library... wherever that was. Hmm, nobody's at the park, LOL because it's 7:30am and you already knew that the Library isn't here.

And neither is Haley at this time of day.

Never mind about that!, thought Bobbi as she picked another daffodil and thought back to the unexplored buildings on the far side of town. She spied a few people in town (but not Sebastian), apparently eager to enjoy the sunshine as well. Still not in the mood for Grumps again, Bobbi headed over to Penny, slightly disappointed she had no dandelions in trade for good conversation.

Penny's eyes lit up with a bright "Hi!"

"Hi Penny, you look nice today." Bobbi didn't really remember what Penny was wearing 2 days ago but had heard people make similar comments, so it seemed safe. There might have been the slightest blush but bright, dappled sunlight under a tree disguised any presence. "You mentioned a Library yesterday, where's it hiding? I found this book along a path and figured it probably belongs there after it's cleaned up."

"That's just a horrible way to treat a book!" exclaimed Penny as Bobbi handed to her. "I can think of one or two people who might have 'accidentally' dropped it there. Looks like it's about caring for animals... oh," Penny looked surprised, "Marnie wrote it. I didn't know Marnie wrote books. Well, a small book anyway. Yes, it's a great idea to take it to the Library as Gunther should know how to clean it up and he's always looking for unusual things we find around the Valley to add to his imaginary collection."

"So is he going to be OK expanding the Library and not this collection of his?" asked Bobbi.

"I hadn't thought about that. Make sure he treats that book well!" Penny recommended. "I mean...," a sigh. "Sorry, I didn't mean to order you around, Bobbi." Penny's shoulders slumped a bit.

"Hey, I'm right there with you Penny. I found a book at the farmhouse with all kinds of information about local plants, it's come in real handy. This might be as useful for animals. I... I guess I should turn in my book, too. When I'm done with it..."

"That sounds great, Bobbi." Penny perked up. "I use the Library's books to teach Jas and Vincent and they would love anything new. Well Jas will, and Vincent is very good at critiquing the pictures. And I'm late! I have to pick up the kids and start their lessons, bye!" Off Penny rushed towards Cindersap Forest.

Penny has green eyes... Bobbi mused.

Bobbi realized she hadn't asked where the Library was but the choices were pretty narrow by the time she came upon the Archaeology Office. With a conspicuous book above the door. Apparently there are differing opinions on how to use this place. Gunther was looking for donations and asked Bobbi to search around and bring in anything unusual, at which point she offered the book.

"Ah! we have a lot of missing tomes among the stacks, I'll give it a thorough dusting off and file it away right in front so Elliot can have a look. Penny'll like it too and maybe Abigail. I wish we saw more people in here, I don't think everyone values knowledge as much as they should! And if you find anything of interest, a colored stone, even a rusty knife, I'd love to see it." Gunther leaned in, conspiratorially whispering, "as our display cases are rather bare," with a smile and wink.

Hmph, thought Bobbi, you'll never find treasure around here, just buried junk and maybe a book or two. Still, the empty cases looked pathetic and maybe if she somehow found two of something, she could donate the second one.

If it wasn't too shiny.

Bobbi noted the blacksmith's house but similarly noting her mostly empty purse, she kept going. The opposite direction of Joja, right to Lewis' house. He was outside tending his garden and after a little chitchat about settling into the house and Grandpa, Bobbi remembered that Grandpa had mentioned to say hi to someone specific in Stardew Valley, I think it was Lewis. How long has this guy been here?

Remembering Pierre's failed attempt at advertising, Bobbi had a look at the big pack and it was wonderful! And expensive, apparently 2,000g was not a typo. Outside, Marnie had a Help Wanted note about algae or something. Yeah, that's for someone else. Turning around, Bobbi caught Haley heading for the park again so she snuck around to the other entrance and on the way remembered her daffodils. Should I try it again? What's the worst that could happen? Uh, no scratch that. Ugh, just try it.

"Ooo, another daffodil and this one's white, it'll go great in the bouquet on the table! I've been spending the past day or so reorganizing my clothes now that the spring collections are out and the weather yesterday was just murder for my hair, so I stayed in. At least Emily leaves at 3:30 to give me some peace, I mean, I need all that space just so I can see everything I'm going to throw out! The rest needs ironing to look it's best, which is always a reflection on the wearer. Ironing when it's damp out really works great, you almost don't need steam."

Which was a little more information than Bobbi needed on the subject of clothes. While I doubt I'll find a book written by Haley, Bobbi thought, she probably could dictate a decent one to somebody. "Bye, it was nice talking to you!" And Haley sauntered off. Well, she didn't make any cracks about my outfit this time, though she might as well have with all the fashion talk. At least I'm not all sweaty this morning, maybe that made the difference.

Too much walking, too much talking listening, not remotely interested in tree chopping, Bobbi decided the best option was fishing the river under a tree. Or a snooze.

Same thing.

Bobbi did manage to catch a few small orange fish, some soggy newspapers (no mention of the Zuzu City Chickens in there, whew!), and another fish that looked reasonably edible. And then a cute boy with spiky blonde hair exited the house across the way and walked past. Ditching her rod, she met Sam who had a big smile and a "good to meet you." Bobbi didn't quite follow him along the river, she was just... looking for more good places to fish. A few more orange ones and she headed off to Willy's as their particular parfum was not Bobbi's favorite. 750g total after the sale of a few cheap Orange Sunfish and a decent Bass and Bobbi was more than 1/3 of the way to that big Pierre pack.

On her way back to the farm, Bobbi narrowly avoided entanglement in a mass of hair just outside of Pierre's which introduced itself as Elliot. Ah, now that's name I haven't heard of in oh about a few hours, thought Bobbi. Seriously girl, get a grip, you've been out in the sun too long.

Elliot spoke with too many words but was expecting me and it was a pleasure to meet you. He lives in the not-abandoned cabin by the beach, and then there was that odd spinny heart feeling again. This place is funny.

As Elliot walked off, she thought about her daffodils. Maybe guys want different gifts, like fruit or a beer? I'll keep my remaining daffodils for the not-Maru ladies. And not-Penny. I need to write this down as I'm never gonna remember everything!

Back home it was only 7:10pm and Bobbi didn't feel especially tired. Wow, the second half of her day would just be starting in Zuzu and already here she was making excuses not to waste the evening and just head straight to bed. She chopped a few more trees to improve her farm view but that exposed even more trees, until she came upon an almost destroyed building on the farmland. Robin and Lewis had said nothing about this. And it looks like it may never even have been finished? Maybe ask Robin about it later.

A few stealthy swish-swishes with the scythe and Bobbi had had enough. Putting the wood into her storage box, this time she noticed the forage sitting right in front of her. One leek, spring onion, horseradish, and clam each went into the shipping bin as Bobbi thought that she should check for more spring onions if they sell for a decent price. I'm prepared for an avalanche of income, thought Bobbi, that could be the fast ticket to that big backpack!

Back in bed Bobbi recalled sleepily that she hadn't even considered if she had enough wood for the bridge. Meh, that's for tomorrow or later. Much later.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Bobbi awoke with an ear to ear smile on her face as she rolled to her side in bed. I know that sound.

Rain. Again. So lovely.

The boredom would come but for now there was just the air of perfection. Already imagining the happy frogs outside luxuriating on their lilypads, Bobbi was reminded of Sebastian. What are the odds that he only comes out in the rain? Maybe he's a dampire. Needs to be kept in moist, dimly lit environments like summer basements or deep jungles. Are there more of his kind?

Giggling at this mild disrespect she made a deal with herself to find him today and maybe be a bit nicer. Eyes scanning over the nightstand, Bobbi remembered that she'd bookmarked something she was sure to forget- ah, the field snack. Heading outside she snatched the seeds from storage and crafted it. Nice enough, like a granola bar but lots of seeds. Too many seeds.

This rain could be less annoying however, it was coming down a bit harder than a couple days ago. But really, it was quite refreshing in an early morning chilly sort of way and makes getting into a store that much more rewarding.

Turning around, Bobbi noticed that the turnips or whatever looked ready to be picked. Um, parsnips? Next time keep the seed packet or you'll be bluffing your way around Pierre's when selling them off. And he'll probably see right through you and buy for half price.

On the way to the shipping bin, Bobbi noticed more mail. About to make a crack about wasting paper, she abruptly realized that the house had no computer or phone, so mail was it. The modern method of communication here.

Luddites? No tractor, bus doesn't work, Lewis' truck never moves because it's boxed in, it's just lawn art now. Joja's here and they're all modernized up the wazoo, does the rest of town eschew that on principle, or is it just happenstance? Maybe ask Demetrius, he seems to have a foot in the modern world. And then I could see Maru again and not give her a flower.

What's the opposite of a flower?

A bullfrog brought Bobbi back to the reality of a very wet letter. "Valued Jojamart Customers" Bobbi's eyes rolled so far back she could have seen Marnie's ranch. Some environmental disaster they've now fixed, signed by a Morris. I wonder if he's ginger, too? Huh, I didn't see anything but haven't seen all of town, need to explore more today.

Finally at the bin, the note tallied about 50g each for the clam, leek, and horseradish. Not bad.

And 8g for the onion. Sigh. You kinda knew that was too good to be true. Just keep the onions for food or snacks I guess. Anyway, now more than 1/4 the way to the big pack!

Back to the park, Bobbi found another daffodil, "Haley will be mine, muahahahaha!" thought Bobbi, possibly enjoying herself too much. Heading northeast to where she'd previously found Sebastian walking from (total coincidence...), she found more forage and continuing around the big mountain lake, found a deep ravine with another broken bridge over it. That looks super dangerous, I'll leave it to the professionals, which is clearly also not Robin. Snatching up more horseradishes which seemed endemic here, she noticed a building which was hidden behind a tree.

Adventurer's Guild.

Proven Adventurers only.

Mmm, the local version of an exclusive club? What type of adventures do they get up to? Staying at the saloon past midnight? Stealing stuff from the Archaeology place? Natural brown hair?

Whatever, I won't be back here anytime soon.

However just past the Guild house, Bobbi noticed a hole in the mountain. Cave. Mineshaft? Wood beams were stabilizing the entrance. Couldn't hurt to stick my head in and have a peek around... and run screaming at the first sight of bats or something scary.

Which is why Bobbi practically jumped out of her skin when she came face to face with a mop of gray hair (that's normal!) and a leather cloak. For a second she thought it would be funny if he had an eyepatch, arrrr! until she noticed he had an eyepatch. OK at least you're learning to keep your trap shut, fool!

He greeted Bobbi and explained about the abandoned mine which had provided good ore in the past. And handed her a used butter knife.

This is hazing isn't it?

Marlon-- ah, he runs the Adventurer's Guild? Definitely hazing. Just how long have you been waiting for the new guy to play this lame trick, eh? Prove myself. By what, spreading lox on a bagel?

Marlon headed out of the mine, leaving Bobbi to ponder her situation. It was dry in here at least and Bobbi had an incompletely suppressed sense of curiosity. But also a full backpack, stupid forage... Chop some trees and make a box? No space for wood. Sell stuff at Pierre's and head back?

OK maybe I'll just peek down that ladder...

Finding a small cave room strewn with rocks and boulders, Bobbi hacked one with her pickaxe, revealing another ladder heading down.

This is weird hazing, almost like an amusement park. Maybe I'm a hamster in a maze... they're probably testing my memory, well joke's on them: I forget everything!

Just one more...?

In the next room was a shiny. A brown shiny, but shiny nonetheless. And Bobbi's pockets were super full. Ok okok, just sell junk at Pierre's and dash right back here for endless glittering things!

Outside the cave on her way around the lake was Sebastian. Why does everything have to happen at once?!? Alright calm down, you. Your pockets are full of stupid that Sebastians likely hate so all you have to offer is some conversation.

"Oh. Hi... Bobbi."

"Hi Sebastian." A slight pause. "Are rainy days your thing?"

"Um, I guess so. They're not sunny so that's an improvement."

"You looking for fish at the lake?" Bobbi asked, "I see your parents here sometimes."

"Demetrius is not my dad," Sebastian said with a bit more vigor. "He can be OK sometimes but when he starts talking... I just need to get out." Sebastian looked at his shoes. "I guess he makes Mom happy anyway."

There was a longer than average silence and with Bobbi starting to get frantic about what to say, Sebastian offered, "mmm, I came out here to see the frogs. If you're lucky you might see one, too." Another pause. "Maybe slow down. Make less noise, don't scare 'em so much."

Bobbi looked out over the misty lake, its edges peppered with lilypads, and took a deep breath.

"Yeah, that." Maybe looking uncomfortable, Sebastian continued, "hey, it was OK talking to ya... I gotta find Sam." And Sebastian turned towards town.

"Bye," Bobbi said.

"Bye," replied Sebastian's hazy form.

Bobbi waited a few minutes as she was headed the same way and thought that would be an odd coda to the conversation. She sold the forage to Pierre and kept the bouquet of daffodils she'd accumulated. With 1700g, she was almost to the big pack. Maybe I can get that today!

Turning around, Bobbi saw Abigail rummaging about in the store shelves.

"Hi Abigail!"

"Hi Bobbi," replied Abigail, looking a bit out of sorts, "I-I don't normally do this but I gotta help out dad this morning. I lost a bet with him and now I'm stuck here, but not for much longer! Outside is where I need to be on a day like today."

"Oh, are you a rain person, too?" Bobbi asked.

"Yeah, I guess so. I think the Valley looks more interesting in the rain, you understand."

"I was walking though a couple days ago when nobody was out," Bobbi recalled, "thinking it was an old ghost town... being washed clean of all the cobwebs."

"Yeah that's it!" Abigail agreed, animated and not paying attention to the shelves, "This place has potential, I say that every Spirit's Eve but Dad says Lewis doesn't want clutter all over the town. Clutter! The decorations are a celebration of the Spirit World, not this boring one." Gesticulating towards the door, Abigail continued, "there are places out there where Spirit's Eve is the biggest celebration of the year. First chance I get I'm leaving here to check that out."

Pierre overheard and chided Abigail about keeping her end of the deal. "Stupid bet, I'll win next time. I hate losing." Abigail gave Bobbi a slightly annoyed and ashamed look. "See ya, Bobbi," she murmured.

"See ya, Abigail."

Abigail didn't seem like someone to cross, and "let the wookiee win," occurred to Bobbi as she headed home. Why is this farm so far away? Ok time to plan, make a box for the mine and I can maybe store valuable bits I find there? I don't trust Marlon not to help himself but what can I do?

Dreaming daydreams of colorful baubles, Bobbi took the slightly longer way through town but as mostly expected, came across nobody. Back at the mine at 1:40, Bobbi mused that the day was half over and she had nothing to show for it except wet clothes. Heading down, she found the ladder was gone but she found it again quickly. OK, shiny time!

Gone.

...and replaced with goo. That moved.

A slimy thing with eyes? That's not right! And it's jumping at me, WTH??? Blearggh! Yuk! Bobbi frantically remembered her oxidized kitchen cutlery and slashed at the thing about a dozen times until it stopped moving. It kind of melted away and left an internal slime thing behind. Poking it, Bobbi decided it could be useful as many things around here had unusual properties, like making Haley happy. Considering the gooey thing for a moment, Bobbi suspected this would make Haley very unhappy. She carefully put in the darkest pocket in her pack and proceeded to pickaxe far too many rocks to bits, keeping some stone for future use.

No shiny things. What happened, did the gooey thing absorb it and whisk it off to a higher plane of existence? Bobbi, you gotta grab things if you really want them, don't leave anything to chance! She avoided a very big bug but probably didn't need to as it was merrily flitting around like the world's largest cranefly. Hopefully just as harmless. We'll be cavemates, bud. She found a round rock that sounded like there was water or pebbles inside it. Um, is this what a geode is supposed to look like on the outside? And her pick wasn't up to cracking it open. OK, maybe I'll see Clint, I haven't seen his shop yet. I'm sure the tour will be scintillating...

She found what seemed to be the metal ore that Marlon had mentioned. Maybe I can look this up in a book. Or ask Clint. If I have to. Finally unearthing another way down, Bobbi came to a new room with barrels in it and another ladder down. No pick needed! Perfect, 'cuz I'm tired. Knocking around the barrels, she found little of interest.

Sap. Oooo.

A cave root thing. That is not food, why's it in a barrel?

Then Bobbi spotted it. A real shiny thing, looking a lot like quartz, just sitting there. Picking it up, it seemed warm and inviting, fitting in her hand perfectly. Do I sell this? No nono, no way, this is far too shiny and cool looking to sell!

Suddenly it occurred to Bobbi: This feels like a trap and I just took the bait. Pockets full, scanning the area and retreating very slowly, bordering on paranoid, Bobbi snuck back to the ladder and headed down again.

This cave was rock strewn and difficult to negotiate so it was back to the pick. Unearthing a number of things, Bobbi had choices to make. Drop the sap, drop the extra wood. That busted bridge has waited how many years? It can wait longer. Clearing space, Bobbi packed away another geode, a few more root things, and some coal that was bound to come in handy sometime.

Where's that bloody ladder down, I'm just about pooped! Giving up, Bobbi headed back to the entrance ladder and, annoyed, knocked a rock right next to it. Revealing a second ladder, this one heading down.

Sigh.

Staring at it for a minute, curiosity ambushed her at a weak point and overcame the weariness, and she headed down. Just for a quick look, mind you.

There was a mineshaft elevator which looked serviceable, just needed some cleaning. This is less effort than climbing a bunch of ladders, where's the footman for this thing? Trying it out, it took her back to the surface and a bit of the keypad lit up. Clicking the 5 button, it took her back down to floor 5 but while there were a lot of other floors, they remained unlit and unresponsive. Looks like I'm the cleaning lady and Ms. Fixit, too. Hitting the top floor again, Bobbi resolved not to come back here anytime soon. She didn't even remember what Marlon said about the Adventurer's Guild but somehow 5 floors and dusting the elevator didn't seem enough.

Walking home in the rain with dirty slimy things in her backpack Bobbi remembered it was Friday. When I was going to hit the Saloon.

Really?

8pm at home with everything sorted, she had a choice. The rain was mildly refreshing and other than being soaked, she was somewhat presentable after a bit of sprucing up. Meh, everyone else is gonna be soaked, too.

In a fit of actually usable memory, Bobbi realized she'd sold crops to Pierre but hadn't bought any seeds to replace them. Facepalm. Doing everything here on a farm except actual farming. It was Miss Super Scythe to the rescue however as she'd already saved a bunch of mixed seeds, which promptly went right into the ground. Super farming! or something... Bobbi tossed one of the cave roots in the bin and with a big sigh, headed into town.

Arriving at 9pm, the Saloon was quite a bit emptier than she expected. Too early? Too late?? Whatever, too tired to ponder.

However Bobbi did enjoy chatting with everyone who was there, including Leah who she hadn't seen for days. But her pack was back at the Farm so she couldn't even buy or gift anyone anything. Great move, sister. Maybe actually think before doing next time and you can buy everyone a round.

Shane was in a reasonable mood, mentioning his connection to the weather. Harvey wanted to talk books, Willy was happy the more people were moving to the valley (does 1 count as more?), Clint was depressing, Pam was ordering beer and somewhat unfocused. Gus was very much enjoying his evening as a businessman, with a great smile on his face.

Between serving drinks, Emily had a look in her eyes, seemingly seeing something other than saloon walls, and mentioned someone Bobbi hadn't met.

"Rainy days make me think of Sandy, I don't think it ever rains there..."

"Ever rains where?"

"Oh, our parents used to take us on trips all around the area and one year we met Sandy and her family at Calico Desert. They liked camping just like us and Sandy really loved the desert. So much so that later on when the shop there went out of business, she bought the whole thing and she runs the Oasis now."

"She owns an oasis, is that allowed in a desert?"

"What? Oh you silly! No, the Oasis is the name of Sandy's shop. I rarely get to make it out there but it's imbued with just the most wonderful energy."

"Because of all the sunlight?"

Emily's brow wrinkled for a moment, her big smile returning an instant later. "You're funny, Bobbi, that's why I like you!" She gave Bobbi a big hug and returned to serving drinks to Pam.

Heading out a few moments later, Bobbi walked Harvey back to his house above the Clinic with some small talk, as her brain was just about fried.

She headed straight to bed, trusting that she'd put stuff away and the falling sky water had tended her crops, and the zzzzzzzzs enveloped Bobbi almost instantly.

Last edited:

Dr. eeL

Farmer
You have managed to recapture some of the thrill that I remember when exploring the game for the very first time.
P.S. I actually saw a sitting frog in the game (mostly I see them hopping away when I'm scything for fiber). It was on the little island connected by planks south of Leah's house. Once I stepped on the plank, it made a giant leap into the water.

Lew Zealand

Helper
You have managed to recapture some of the thrill that I remember when exploring the game for the very first time.
P.S. I actually saw a sitting frog in the game (mostly I see them hopping away when I'm scything for fiber). It was on the little island connected by planks south of Leah's house. Once I stepped on the plank, it made a giant leap into the water.
Hey cool, I've never seen a sitting frog! I guess Sebastian has it right: need to slow down a bit and keep my eyes open.

Lew Zealand

Helper
The windows were fogged over and it didn't feel overly pleasant in Bobbi's little cracker box, but at least the bed was warm.

Stupid boredom. I should be able to spend all day in bed but there's stuff and junk out there that I haven't seen yet and my brain knows it's out there. Wait, that's rain again isn't it? Yeah, this is getting kinda old but I can see why Sebastian, Abigail, and the frogs live here. Maybe I'll head to the library and see how to make an umbrella, that soggy newspaper isn't cutting it as a stand-in.

Peeking outside, Bobbi spied Clint heading towards the house.

"Good morning," Clint greeted Bobbi.

"Hiya, Clint." What's with the faintly spinning heart thing again? I need to turn the soil or something? Shouldn't the rain have washed away all the locally accumulated neurotoxins? Maybe... all the humidity's stimulating the mind-control fungus to grow! Bobbi cast her gaze about looking for new farm mushrooms.

"Hello?" Clint was still there.

"Sorry Clint, all this rain is getting to me," Bobbi replied lamely, arriving back at reality.

"It's OK, I'm used to it," Clint said in a resigned sort of voice. "Anyway I heard you dug up some ore and I have just what you need: blueprints for a furnace, you probably have everything you need to make it already. I'm not a big fan of smelting and I don't have a lot of space. And I'd rather work the metal itself, so if you end up with some decent bars from that ore, I can upgrade your tools for you. For a modest fee of course..."

Bobbi narrowed her eyes. "This place is all about doing business isn't it? Not really what I expected from around here."

Clint froze for a second. "Um, we don't have the limitless opportunities of the city, Bobbi," Clint explained. "The local economy is really small and sometimes it's hard to make ends meet. We all need to keep what little happens here moving along, with some trade coming from out of town now and then. So we make sure to keep on top of opportunities." Clint paused and his eyes narrowed slightly. "Especially since Joja decided to open shop here. They don't compete with me directly but then they don't buy anything from me either."

Bobbi made to say something but Clint went on, "Come by the shop and have a look. Take it easy."

"You too, Clint." As he walked back towards town in the rain, Bobbi thought, "I'll do both of those."

Lost in thought for a few minutes staring blankly through the tapering rain, Bobbi slowly headed over to the shipping bin, not remembering what she'd put in there the day before.

25g for a cave carrot. That's decent I guess, considering they're common and free if you don't count needing to butter the ground with apparently sentient jello molds first. Oh, and an envelope with 100g in it from Lewis, a reward for selling my first crop, those parsnips. Cool, I'll take it! Ol' Pierre's going to get some local business when I get the backpack, only a few g short now.

The mailbox was full of mail. Full-ish. Well, more than one letter this time. Marlon's noticed that the mine elevator was fixed, assumed that I did it and is offering entrance to the Adventurer's Guild if I--

Kill 10 slimes. Really? I want never to see those disgusting things again but now I need to kill a bunch more? I can just see the guys in the guild guffawing while Marlon was writing the letter. Yet, this also seems deceptively easy, maybe membership is down and instead of slaying dragons or bears or tardigrades, the bar's been lowered to... slime. This will wait, but not too long! I wanna know what's inside the guild. Anything short of giant antlers or a big shark mouth and I'll ask for my g back!

The second letter was from Robin apologizing for slagging on my very own cardboard box and offering a Kitchen Expansion. Hey, that's exactly what I wanted! Though I don't cook. But that's because I don't have a kitchen! But I didn't cook in Zuzu City either...

Wait, this all seems very convenient. What are the odds that if I look under the farmhouse, I'll find plumbing already there because a kitchen was removed before I got here?

Bobbi stop it, the rain has seeped into your ears and is rotting your brain out.

Looking in her stuff box considering what to do, Bobbi noticed the furnace blueprints needed copper ore, is that what I already have? Stupid! You should have asked Clint while he was here, instead you stood there with your mouth shut. Well, lucky you have geodes, it's an excuse to actually have a conversation instead of listening to a monologue.

Remembering the field snack recipe, Bobbi went on a farmyard seed treasure hunt, made 5 more, and decided to find out if Pierre would buy them. Outside Pierre's Sam had tacked up a note asking for a quartz for 75g. How did he know I had one? Who else is gonna have one, Marlon? That's just too weird, well he can't have it because I need more g than that for the backpack.

Why doesn't anyone want some tree seeds or a horseradish for 75g?

Pierre wants to buy wild produce which is good, but all he wants is the horseradish, not the field snacks. Fine, it's yours, at least his are the same prices as the bin, so I can just sell stuff quickly here for g like at Willy's.

Bobbi, you fool.

Catch a few fish, sell to Willy, buy backpack, crack Geodes, hit the Library for some more info and skip the mines until next year. Maybe fish a little extra and get some cauliflower or potato seeds.

I'm doing rainy days wrong. Clearly I'm getting up about 5 hours too early. Well, better late brain than never.

Bobbi caught a few river fish and totally let the others go, they were clearly too small to turn a profit and not worth waking up for. She grabbed a cockle on the way to Willy's and finally ended up with over 2000g, off to Pierre's. But this time Bobbi paused at the not-abandoned shack on the beach. I wonder if Elliot's in? Slightly annoyed at herself, she thought: no distractions, you have a plan. ...and his hair is probably a mess in the rain. My hair is a mess in the rain. Bobbi put thoughts of hair (Haley, Abigail, Sebastian...) mostly out of her mind.

Again nobody was about in the town square as Bobbi approached Pierre's. This place is strange but I don't see... it... yet. Whatever that 'it' is here. Inside, Bobbi made a beeline for the pack and quickly it was on her back with all her stuff inside and room for lots more. Now this is luxury!

Turning around Bobbi noticed that Abigail and Caroline were in the store and headed over to Abigail.

Apparently she had just been outside as her hair and bow were about as bedraggled as Bobbi felt, however there was a luminous smile on Abigail's face.

"Hi Bobbi, I just got back from the mountains and the air is just so fresh there." She took a deep breath and didn't seem to notice she was actually in a store as her eyes were closed, clearly reliving the moments from earlier today. "Sebastian told me the frogs were out already but I didn't see any, he probably scared them away before I got there."

"He told me I was too noisy," replied Bobbi with a smirk, "and I need to do a better job of sneaking up on them. Maybe all he sees are deaf frogs."

"Ha, I bet that's it, or they're plastic Joja frog toys!" Abigail laughed. It was a musical laugh and Bobbi smiled to herself. "When it rains, I like to go out to the lake with my--" Abigail cut herself off. "...um, radio. And listen to music. I like music by the lake in the rain."

Imagining it, Bobbi said absently, "that sounds nice, with the right type of music."

Abigail was looking at Bobbi. "Did I say something?" Bobbi asked, returning to reality. What did I say?

Abigail snorted a quick laugh, "yeah of course you did. Anyway, we should probably play a trick on Seb sometime, maybe put a couple of stuffed cats by the lake to scare him that they're eating frogs! See ya, Bobbi." And Abigail left through the door at the back of the store.

"See ya, Abigail."

On her way out of the store, Bobbi stopped by to chat with Caroline.

"Bobbi, you seem to be a good influence on Abby," Caroline said maybe a bit too covertly. "It seems all she talks about these days is doom and gloom. She seems happiest when it's dark and rainy out," finished Caroline with a gesture towards the door.

"Well the weather has been going her way recently, right? That's a nice stroke of luck"

"Yes I suppose, but she seems a bit brighter than usual when she's talking to you. I wish she would hang out with more of her old classmates but if anything, it's been fewer and fewer as everyone finished school and the class dwindled to nothing. I think she still sees a few of them on Fridays but that's it. But now she seems to enjoy your company. I just wanted to say thanks for giving her a chance." Caroline paused, in thought. "Oh, I guess I'm to old to understand what she's thinking anyway, I'll let you go." Caroline quickly walked behind the register to talk with Pierre and Bobbi left the store with her thoughts as company.

Old? You don't look old, whatever you're covering up with that crazy green hair. You shouldn't think old, maybe that's a parenting thing. What's with giving her a chance, who wouldn't give Abigail a chance? And what's with the doom and gloom thing, have you even talked to your daughter today?

Parents are weird.

Back outside, Bobbi eventually noticed it was still raining and headed towards the blacksmith. On the way, she noticed the trailer for the first time, with a light on out front. I wonder who lives there? Marlon? Kind of a long walk to "work" if that's what the Adventurer's Guild is. Grabbing yet another daffodil (lots of room for those now!) near an abandoned railroad cart, Bobbi entered Clint's shop.

Clint gave Bobbi the boilerplate about everything costing 2000g and lots of copper bars for upgrades (later, much later...), but finally came to something Bobbi could afford, just barely. 25g per geode cracked, Bobbi had 2 of them and 55g. Whew! The first released more ore which Clint identified as copper ore, which saved face for Bobbi as she didn't have to ask him. But the second...

Soooo greeeen! Like when you take green and then remove all the non-green stuff from it and end up with more extra green. Green is my favorite color since arriving at Pelican Town, Bobbi thought. Green is a weird word. Green.

"Do you want to sell it?" asked Clint.

"What?!? No! What is it?"

"Weren't you listening?" and under his breath, "no of course, nobody listens..." "I just said it was Petrified Slime, but you seemed barely there."

"Yeah, sorry, I've just never seen anything like this before. Wait. Pertified slime?" Dawning realization. "Um, yuck? Old dead smushed slime?"

"Yeah, that's how I knew you weren't paying attention." Clint said shrewdly. "Take it over to Gunther and he might know some more about it. Careful though, if you bring it to him he might take it as a donation as he's hard up for minerals."

"I can probably part with an old hunk of slime. If I steel myself for the shock first," Bobbi smiled. Clink smirked.

"See you later, Clint"

"Later, Bobbi"

Next door at the School Library Archaeology Office, Gunther laid out his whole sob story about the missing collection that Pelican Town once had. Eyeballing Bobbi's disgusting slime chunk, he was clearly in love with it but acknowledged it was Bobbi's to do with as she pleased.

"If you would consider donating new artifacts and minerals you found, maybe we could make a great discovery together," offered Gunther. Hmmm, I know who'd be first author on that paper, Mr. Archaeology. "If you donate a number of things and the townspeople appreciate it, I bet I could get them to donate things in exchange which could be yours. That's how the previous collection was built, on the barter system. Lewis pays for the Library out of town taxes but this generally falls in the tax-free area using gift exchanges."

Hmmm, I can get random stuff I don't have yet by digging up geodes and donating what's on the insides? I can do that. If I go back to the mines. And fight slimes. Which also gets me into the Adventurer's Guild.

This place is a Pyramid Scheme.

Maybe I should just go back to the farm, grow some potatoes and live the simple life. This is getting too complex. Except for Abigail. Sebastian. Penny, Haley, Elliot, Sam, Emily, Leah. Ok and Maru. Fine finefine I'll keep going.

Bobbi donated the Petrified Slime and tried not to look too relieved it was gone, especially as Gunther gave her 250g for starting the collection. What happened to the barter talk-- never mind, don't ask too many questions.

Turning to the book stacks, Bobbi noticed how many were missing, but found a few on topics she needed more information about: farming, fishing, and foraging.

Flipping through the farming book, she wrote down instructions for making a scarecrow and fertilizer, both seemed very useful. But turning to the beginning of the book, she read:

"The start of every low energy journey begins with a very long rest before that first step."

Oh!

I'm going to looooove this book.

Last edited:

Dr. eeL

Farmer
Excellent conversations with Clint, especially from his viewpoint. I loved the stuffed cat plan. Usually the "oldest and more senior author" on a discovery paper goes last. The Wizard of Oz movie missed the line, "Lions, Tardigrades, and Bears, Oh My!"

Lew Zealand

Helper
Excellent conversations with Clint, especially from his viewpoint. I loved the stuffed cat plan. Usually the "oldest and more senior author" on a discovery paper goes last. The Wizard of Oz movie missed the line, "Lions, Tardigrades, and Bears, Oh My!"
Thanks! I wanted the initial meetings to match the game but all the rest will be expansions of a typical interaction. The game can't feasibly do this as each should be unique and dependent on what's happened before, as well in-character, so it's fun to do something the game can't. I'd threatened on multiple non-consecutive occasions to do a Clint dialog expansion mod but I feel that altering the game is not my forte. So I'm doing that here, as well as for most (hopefully all) of the other NPCs.

And absolutely I had the Wizard of Oz in mind when writing that line!