Beach Farm Amethyst's Purple Farm (late game, spoilers)

imnvs

Local Legend
Summer 16, Year 4
Coop: 2 Gold Chickens, 2 Blue Chickens, 2 Void Chickens, 2 Ducks, 2 Rabbits, 2 Dinos
Barn 1: 2 Cows, 4 Goats, 1 Pig, 5 Ostrich
Barn 2: 2 Ostrich
(Currently working on hatching 5 more ostriches in Barn 2, will eventually move the other 5 over to Barn 2, and then get 2 more cows, 2 more goats, 1 more pig for Barn 1.)
Amethyst_5-10-2021_13365324.png
Amethyst_5-10-2021_13383007.png
Amethyst_5-10-2021_13353652.png

...and yes, I see how I mis-positioned a sprinkler. That was fixed immediately after taking this screenshot.

Last edited:

Daniiiiii

Sodbuster
Your main farm layout is amazing. When I tested out the new beach farm when it was first implemented I found it difficult to lay down paths and even decide where to place buildings! I even gave up on working on the farm because of how difficult I found it to organize stuff. I’m glad you figured out a nice and good looking farm layout.

Worblehat

Planter
Very nice! It appears that beehives work on Ginger Island. Year-round fairy rose honey seems crazy-good, but I guess by the time you can set it up, it's no longer a balance concern... 🙂 Now I know what to do with all that excess coal from grinding the dust sprite monster eradication goal. 🐝

imnvs

Local Legend
Very nice! It appears that beehives work on Ginger Island. Year-round fairy rose honey seems crazy-good, but I guess by the time you can set it up, it's no longer a balance concern... 🙂 Now I know what to do with all that excess coal from grinding the dust sprite monster eradication goal. 🐝
It's 36720g every 4 days, which isn't terrible... but I'm considering ripping it up for more ancient fruit. And yes, that is non-artisan price. I'm an agriculturalist. With that small sprinkler area on my home farm, I favor fast growth for quantity of ingredients to process.
Your main farm layout is amazing. When I tested out the new beach farm when it was first implemented I found it difficult to lay down paths and even decide where to place buildings! I even gave up on working on the farm because of how difficult I found it to organize stuff. I’m glad you figured out a nice and good looking farm layout.
For me it was finding choke points to prevent animals wandering too far. That put the coop and the barn next to it where they are. The barn on the right recently replaced two silos, the two northernmost ones in that group of five. Then I went looking for places where things could be fit where they use up most of the available space while still leaving space around... and then it was just taking advantage of certain buildings being different widths to get them to align in deciding final positions.

Most of the sheds have moved. The first shed in the column of 4 used to be up by Abigail's little patio area where she plays music occasionally. It left room behind it, as where the wood heading up that way ends, that's where the front of the shed used to be. There is still decorating happening up in that NE corner as a result of that shed recently being moved.

Odin

Staff member
Great layout! I like the "minimal" fence design that takes advantage of the farm's cliffs. I did find an issue when trying something similar where the ducks would sometimes swim out into the water and then get back out on the wrong side of the fence, but I just had to keep a closer eye on them at the end of the day.

imnvs

Local Legend
Great layout! I like the "minimal" fence design that takes advantage of the farm's cliffs. I did find an issue when trying something similar where the ducks would sometimes swim out into the water and then get back out on the wrong side of the fence, but I just had to keep a closer eye on them at the end of the day.
You know, if you're worried about locking animals out? Leave the farm map (even by entering a building) and then re-enter it after 7 pm. If there were any animals outside, they'll have rushed back in real quick while you weren't paying attention so they don't get in trouble. 😉

Yeah, I don't like my animals wandering too far so that they can get inside easily enough, and I'll warn you, even in my layout here, there's a one-tile thick border along all beaches where you can walk and so can your animals... but you can not build. It doesn't matter if it is fence or tea bush or anything. That means there's always a one-tile width gap... and animals will occasionally wander that way, but they don't often. Narrow gaps reduce the chances they'll pick that way to go because that's only one path out of many.

Also, with my coop as far away from the beach as possible, they tend to head south for the grass first... and then, if they're looking for water, they're a LONG ways away from where they can get around that barn at the water's edge.

Last edited:

Potatoes

Farmer
You know, if you're worried about locking animals out? Leave the farm map (even by entering a building) and then re-enter it after 7 pm. If there were any animals outside, they'll have rushed back in real quick while you weren't paying attention so they don't get in trouble. 😉
I figured that out too, by accident though. It's a helpful trick.

imnvs

Local Legend
One thing to add, for any that are interested in playing a Beach Farm:

You have just SO much room. SO. Much. Room. You can fit so much on this farm without running out of space. The only thing slowing you down as far as space goes is the small space where sprinklers work. 202 tiles, and some of them have to be taken up, even if you go with deluxe retaining soil and no sprinklers. If you want junimo huts to cover the whole space, a junimo hut will have to take up a few tiles (for me it's 3 because I opted to get 3 junimo huts, but it could be done with 2 huts with one hut needing to take up 6 tiles). Most of what I grow in that space is cooking ingredients, but when I get a surplus of those, the excess gets canned and likely sold because I'm one of those folks with a stand up on the side of the highway at the entrance to my farm like you see all over the place in the Midwest. You could farm elsewhere too, but you'll have to water it... and guys, that's just too much work for me.

Odin

Staff member
I actually didn't know that!

Leavo

Planter
Every time I see people's beautiful farms I laugh because mine is so embarrassing in comparison. Really pretty, and organized, and inviting! Would you be up for posting day time pictures at some point? Obviously no pressure if you don't feel like it.

imnvs

Local Legend
Every time I see people's beautiful farms I laugh because mine is so embarrassing in comparison. Really pretty, and organized, and inviting! Would you be up for posting day time pictures at some point? Obviously no pressure if you don't feel like it.
Huh... I'd like to... and I've been trying, but apparently the daytime image is too large for me to upload to the forums, even when I take the screenshot at 25%. 😠

Lew Zealand

Helper
If you reprocess your picture in a pic editor, you can get a daytime pic down to size to post here, I fiddled with it when I posted my Beach Farm pic. But I like doing that kind of stuff while that may make you tear your hair out. 1000x1000 and .jpg worked for me.

And thanks for a number of useful Beach Farm strategies which I had either forgotten or not known in the first place. Super Helpful!

Ereo

Helper
I open the pictures in paint and save them without changing anything, that usually brings the quality down enough to upload them to the forums. Not elegant, but very easy, and no need to get special programs :D

imnvs

Local Legend
Bit of an update...
In case you can't see them, there are flute blocks hidden amongst the rarecrow display, so if you go past them they toot at you.
Amethyst_5-13-2021_58366630.jpg
Yeah, I pulled up the honey in order to plant another 128 ancient fruit. Now I'm starting to wonder if I should just pull up the pineapples for ancient fruit too... 🤔🤔🤔
Amethyst_5-13-2021_58388593.jpg

imnvs

Local Legend
Hmmm... and I think eventually I'm going to have to replace all those pineapple with ancient fruit too. I would be more hesitant, but I have 30-something pineapples for cooking ingredients in deluxe retaining soiled garden pots in my greenhouse. (Water once and never worry about them again.)