Humorous Newbie Mistakes

Maw

Farmhand
Never watching TV.
Gifting villagers things when I just wanted to talk to them.
Holding the pickaxe while harvesting crops and destroying some of the plants.
Holding other gems while harvesting diamonds from crystallariums.
In one of my save files, I may have thrown away an item you only get once on Ginger Island that is necessary for perfection!!!

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
Holding the pickaxe while harvesting crops and destroying some of the plants.
Holding other gems while harvesting diamonds from crystallariums.
I have restarted days just so, so, so, SO many times because of these. That's why still, to this day, in my farm where all I have to do is collect money to spend on my collection of statues of endless convenience(tm), I will still do these tasks first, so that if I f*#% it up I can restart the day without too much time lost.

Worblehat

Planter
In one of my save files, I may have thrown away an item you only get once on Ginger Island that is necessary for perfection!!!
If you're referring to the ostrich egg, you can get them from rare chests in the Volcano.

Planter
While not really a newbie mistake per se, for the longest time, whenever I saw Elliott's sprite in the library, I always thought he was wearing some sort of blue toga. It's only a couple days ago while watching a SDV video that I realised he's actually holding a blue book.

Maw

Farmhand
If you're referring to the ostrich egg, you can get them from rare chests in the Volcano.
I wish. I got really frustrated with the Pirate's Wife quest, not knowing what to do with the photo, and I can't remember, but I may have trashed it. Sorta confusing, because I've been switching back and forth between two save files that both have 350+ hours on them, but were started over a year apart, with Hilltop and Wilderness farms in between, so I seem to have used very different systems of sorting things. My first farm says I've found 129/130 Golden Walnuts, but the parrot has no more clues. My more recent one says there are 6 hidden in the west, but I've farmed and fished and dug up the beach, consulted the Wiki, so I'm out of ideas other than I stupidly threw that thing out, since the reward is 5!! Seems like the sort of thing that should default to the Lost & Found if you're foolish enough to do that.... I guess I'll check there!

Ereo

Helper
I planted tea plants all around the animal pens without considering that I was blocking myself off. At the time these plants were new to the game and I couldn't figure out how to remove them.
I used tea plants and some of the big rocks to mark the animal pens. I did leave a gate, but the area was way too small to sustain enough grass. They kept finishing it in a couple of days.
In the end, I think I cut down the tea plants and just let them roam on the whole farm.

Worblehat

Planter
Year 4: I finally learned how to place those tea sets I keep getting every Feast of the Winter Star. Pelican Town's answer to the question "What do you get the farmer who has everything?", apparently.

Turns out the answer is right-click. Even though placing the Decorative Bowl you start with is done by left-click. The UI in this game... Just, argh! 😕 (At least now I have lots of time on my hands and nothing better to do than figure this out!)

imnvs

Local Legend
Year 4: I finally learned how to place those tea sets I keep getting every Feast of the Winter Star.
I got a tea set in my very first Feast of the Winter Star... I've had dozens of Feasts since and can't get any. I'm so pissed off.

Last edited:

PookieDoodle

Rancher
I got a tea set in my very first Feast of the Winter Star... I've had dozens since and can't get any. I'm so pissed off.
Well, I've never gotten a tea set. I didn't even know about them until this post. I have gotten a rock before though. 😕

Boo1972

Farmer
Oh, you got 50 stone from Robin? Jas literally once gave me 1 clay. I was like, 😶😶😶😶😶
I thought the nautilus shell from Demetrius was bad, but that is the worst gift I’ve ever heard of. I probably would have restarted the day and skipped the whole feast.

PookieDoodle

Rancher
Oh, you got 50 stone from Robin? Jas literally once gave me 1 clay. I was like, 😶😶😶😶😶
I thought my rock was bad. But your one clay totally trumphs that. What's worse is it's in a expertly wrapped box with a huge bow on it. lol The clay is rude, but the nicely wrapped gift box with a clump of clay in it is just down right mean. 😁

I bought 15000 wood from Robin this time around, taking advantage of the price discount in year 1. Robin got me for the Feast of the Winter Star apparently, and she gave me 100 wood XD

It was perfect, it was like “hey I figure since you’re buying so much you must really like it or need it for something so here you go!” I wasn’t mad about it either, you can never have too much wood.