Humorous Newbie Mistakes

IndiaHawker

Tiller
In my first save file, I put a chest right by Pierre’s early on and put a bunch of stuff in it, only to see it all vanish after maybe two days. Mystified, I built another and it vanished, too. ...I had no idea that the villagers’ walking routes could make things disappear, whoops.
Okay I still didnt know of this, thanks so much for the awareness!! Is there a guide to the safe and non-safe placements of objects please? Thanks!

Okay I still didnt know of this, thanks so much for the awareness!! Is there a guide to the safe and non-safe placements of objects please? Thanks!
Yep look up chests on the wiki there are pictures, everywhere chests exist on the map are safe. Note I’m not certain they’re updated for 1.5 but I’ve yet to have a “safe” chests trampled so I wouldn’t worry too much about that

Hawke

Greenhorn
The maps I use as a guide are in the Stardew Valley wiki, yes...They are screenshots of all the different maps with squares indicating places villagers don’t walk. I think the phrase “villager paths” is used, so you could search for that in the wiki if you have trouble finding it.

Worblehat

Planter
Then the next playthrough you've got like 30 chest of EVERYTHING.
That was one of my first lessons learned in this game. Though apparently I lost track of a few things - had to craft a couple batches of Magic Bait to get a Sunfish for the Baked Fish to finish off the cooking completionism portion of Perfection. Obviously the cat got into the fish chests at some point... 😛

Cuusardo

Farmer
On my first farm when I saw my first mushroom trees pop up I was like "Yep, need to cut these down too. Oh neat, they give me mushrooms!" I cut down every mushroom tree that grew that year because I didn't know any better.

IndiaHawker

Tiller
Yep look up chests on the wiki there are pictures, everywhere chests exist on the map are safe. Note I’m not certain they’re updated for 1.5 but I’ve yet to have a “safe” chests trampled so I wouldn’t worry too much about that
Thank you so much! I feel stupid but I still can't find it though! I found a post on reddit but it's about 5 years old so unsure if it's still accurate!

Boo1972

Farmer
From a previous thread:

My first farmer managed to find a small glow ring early in the mines. I happily tossed in my backpack and headed home. “Huh,” I wondered “How come this ring isn’t glowing? Is it just really weak? Maybe I need to activate it somehow.”

I walked around with the ring IN MY BACKPACK for several days. Then I took good look at my backpack inventory and noticed an image of my farmer. There, as clear as day if I had bothered to look, were slots for clothing with a space to wear a ring.

I’m still embarrassed about that to this day

Ereo

Helper
Thank you so much! I feel stupid but I still can't find it though! I found a post on reddit but it's about 5 years old so unsure if it's still accurate!

I'm not sure all the pictures have been updated for 1.5, mountain seems to be missing and would probably change after a new characters heart event.

My first time cracking geodes was quite painful. The "process geodes" screen said to put it on Clint's anvil, so I thought I was supposed to walk over to the actual anvil in the shop and place geodes on there. I also had a very interesting time with my first silo. I took peoples' advice to build it before the coop, but I didn't know how hay storage worked so I thought that there was some door to get into the silo and put your hay. I then spent a good chunk of a morning trying to find the door before finally opening the wiki and realizing my mistake.

susb8383

Planter
Similarly, I also consider it a newbie mistake to grow any quantity of Wild Seeds except Spring (once, when a certain quest is active) and Winter after Spring of Year 1.
That's funny, I'm the opposite. I just recently started planting wild seeds a lot more. I always used to ignore them, but when I realized that harvesting those crops gives you foraging xp I started planting massive amounts. I harvest them and turn them right back into wild seeds and replant. Foraging always seems to be the last skill I reach 10 with so I want all the help I can get. So now I try to get to 10 before the next berry picking season so I can get iridium quality. And I always used to ignore food except to gain energy and health (except for fishing buffs), but now I eat something that increases my foraging right before I go berry picking so I can get one extra berry per bush.

Last edited:

susb8383

Planter
In my first save file, I put a chest right by Pierre’s early on and put a bunch of stuff in it, only to see it all vanish after maybe two days. Mystified, I built another and it vanished, too. ...I had no idea that the villagers’ walking routes could make things disappear, whoops.
I did that too! Put a chest right on the fishing dock. The next day the contents were scattered. At least it let me pick them up again.

susb8383

Planter
I didn't realize you could drop stuff from your inventory on the ground. So when I accidentally crafted something when my inventory was full, I picked something to throw in the trash.

PookieDoodle

Rancher
When I first started using fishing ponds and would fish from them for recipes, I'd sit there waiting for the explanation point to appear, telling me I had hooked a fish. It took me a while to figure out that they would automatically bite and I didn't have to wait. It saved me a lot of time.