Humorous Newbie Mistakes

niteowl

Tiller
The shortcuts, (from Leah's to the beach or the library to the beach) are to late-game to be useful. They should be available early-game, possibly as a reward for getting Leah to 5 hearts, she shows you the shortcut. By the time I could actually get them, I'm mainly zipping around with obelisks & mine carts, with a constant supply of triple espresso.

benjellyman

Planter
I had a friend that donated my first prismatic shard to museum. I was a little annoyed at first, then I heard about people spending four years and still not being able to find one. Then I was upset...

Raqui

Greenhorn
This is a fun read!
My two so far (still a newbie -- we just made it to Christmas Year 2) -- when I got my first animals, I had no idea how to feed them. The hay hopper had hay in it, and I thought that was it (had no idea what the weird bench was for). So the next day, they were all unhappy and "looks a little thin" etc. ???? I looked it up and learned my mistake, but, oof.

Then one night I was getting exhausted, wanted to chop one more tree, so ate a mushroom from my inventory for a little boost.......of course picked the ONE mushroom that caused me to pass out instead of restore my energy (well, then that day glitched out on us, so....). Looked it up, yep, *don't* eat the red mushrooms! oops.

I'm sure there will be more to come.....

I know I've done this before and I watched a streamer do this yesterday, but I've spent what felt like hours hunting an item in the mines / fishing and finally get my prize! I go to sort my inventory and then I throw away recently obtained prize. It's funny in retrospect however at the time it happened it's quite infuriating 🤦‍♂️

Often times I won't pay attention to where I'm walking and get "stuck" on the corner of something and wonder briefly why I'm not moving 🙄
Omg yes, I've done this with accidentally trashing (or shipping too fast) artifacts I've needed and realized too late... major drag!

This is a fun read!
My two so far (still a newbie -- we just made it to Christmas Year 2) -- when I got my first animals, I had no idea how to feed them. The hay hopper had hay in it, and I thought that was it (had no idea what the weird bench was for). So the next day, they were all unhappy and "looks a little thin" etc. ???? I looked it up and learned my mistake, but, oof.

Then one night I was getting exhausted, wanted to chop one more tree, so ate a mushroom from my inventory for a little boost.......of course picked the ONE mushroom that caused me to pass out instead of restore my energy (well, then that day glitched out on us, so....). Looked it up, yep, *don't* eat the red mushrooms! oops.

I'm sure there will be more to come.....
I've done this one too, for some reason it did not seem immediately clear to me what the bench-like thing was for in the coop lol (or at least that's kinda what I thought it looked like at the time, my poor chickens!) 😂

Last edited:
This was early on, and I'm honestly not sure if this is still possible. But I had my farm on early fall of year 2, my buddies were over, I was showing them where I was at, and we ended up heading out and doing things. Somehow, I had forgotten to close out of the game or at least pause it when walking away. Since I was just showing them where I was at, I hadn't shipped anything or gained any skills. So I get home like 6 to 8 hours later, and lo and behold, it's late spring of year 3. I thought for a while I could just keep going, but I had been meticulous about watching Queen of Sauce, and when I found out it'd be a year and a half in game to get to where the recipes were available I had missed, it was too much. Scrapped the save file, stopped playing for a while, then eventually began anew.

Needless to say, not a mistake I ever made again.

Elenna101

Farmer
This was early on, and I'm honestly not sure if this is still possible. But I had my farm on early fall of year 2, my buddies were over, I was showing them where I was at, and we ended up heading out and doing things. Somehow, I had forgotten to close out of the game or at least pause it when walking away. Since I was just showing them where I was at, I hadn't shipped anything or gained any skills. So I get home like 6 to 8 hours later, and lo and behold, it's late spring of year 3. I thought for a while I could just keep going, but I had been meticulous about watching Queen of Sauce, and when I found out it'd be a year and a half in game to get to where the recipes were available I had missed, it was too much. Scrapped the save file, stopped playing for a while, then eventually began anew.

Needless to say, not a mistake I ever made again.
Oooooof.

I don't think there's anything preventing that from happening in the current game, but at least the Queen of Sauce reruns on Wednesdays now prioritize recipes that you've missed, so that wouldn't be as much of a problem.

marceve0416

Greenhorn
That reminds me; I'd heard about Skull Cavern. So when I first went into the Quarry Mine and saw the sign with the skull on it, I thought that must be it and didn't go in for the longest time. Then when I did go in, I kept thinking it somehow connected to the real Skull Cavern down a passage.
To this day I still don't know what that cavern is and I don't know why but im scared of it and I never go there

Maw

Farmhand
Here's a good one:

I originally thought the 8-tile radius mentioned in the scarecrow's info blurb meant just the eight tiles immediately adjacent to the scarecrow, ala quality sprinkler. So on my first farm by summer I had used up pretty much all my wood and fiber making a dozen or so scarecrows with crop haloes. I also thought fencing was totally necessary to stave off weeds so all my crops and scarecrows were contained within little fenced areas too.

When I learned the actual scarecrow radius, it completely changed the game for me. I kind of miss all the fences sometimes, though - that was kind of fun.
same. Thought I needed fencing to keep the animals from destroying my crops or wandering off, as well.

imnvs

Local Legend
Tbh, I consider it a "newbie mistake" to use Mixed Seeds past Spring of Year 1.

Similarly, I also consider it a newbie mistake to grow any quantity of Wild Seeds except Spring (once, when a certain quest is active) and Winter after Spring of Year 1.

For these reasons, may I recommend using Summer and Fall for making tea bushes when you get that recipe?

I used to plant way too many of both, because, hey, free seeds, right? But yeah... no... they slow me down on getting real things done. And plus I'd use up the ones I actually should have been saving often enough. Ugh. No. Save Spring until that quest is done, and save Winter for planting when there's nothing better to plant.

IndiaHawker

Tiller
I had a friend that donated my first prismatic shard to museum. I was a little annoyed at first, then I heard about people spending four years and still not being able to find one. Then I was upset...
Uh oh... thought I was finally getting past the newbie stage... got my first prismatic shard recently and guess what? Donated it to museum! I do like building up the museum collection though - is there a reason that was a really stupid thing to do? Thanks!

Reactions: Tom
Uh oh... thought I was finally getting past the newbie stage... got my first prismatic shard recently and guess what? Donated it to museum! I do like building up the museum collection though - is there a reason that was a really stupid thing to do? Thanks!
It’s kinda like donating your first Diamond when you really need the money - it’s not a mistake per se it’s just that there will be others which can be donated down the line and there’s potentially better uses for that first one. Or donating your first dino egg or turning your first void egg into mayonnaise.

I don’t want to spoil what that better use might be, I think the in game notes and books spell it out pretty nicely. Here’s hoping the second one comes along quickly!

PookieDoodle

Rancher
After being evaluated by Grandpa and getting four lit candles, I didn't know to re-click his memorial. I went a good year without the Statue of Perfection. AND the only reason I even got it was because I was placing flowers around the shrine and clicked it by mistake. Ta-da!! lol Just think of how many mornings I wasted not being gifted all those iridium nodes. 🙄

Ereo

Helper
That is pretty well hidden. I wouldn't have known to do it without reading about it.

(And thank you for reminding me, my latest safe file just passed the evaluation and I forgot to collect the statue)

PookieDoodle

Rancher
That is pretty well hidden. I wouldn't have known to do it without reading about it.

(And thank you for reminding me, my latest safe file just passed the evaluation and I forgot to collect the statue)
You're welcome. Here's what the Wiki says about the statue:

There is no indication made that the statue is available. You must manually interact with the shrine to "find" it.

There should be some kind of little bubble above the statue reminding us it's there for the taking. Like when a keg is ready, it lets us know.