Who's worse, Pierre or Mayor Lewis?

You can not steal a person. You can only engender trust and affection, and then they make the decisions they make.
True dat, I kinda feel the same way as @Lew Zealand does on that front though. If it screws with Lewis I like to do it. Period. I do not like Lewis at all. So, while you cannot steal a person you can influence them to decide not to associate with another person, which is what I would like to do.

You can not steal a person. You can only engender trust and affection, and then they make the decisions they make.
I was seeing a picture of Lewis saying "You can let her go and walkaway and that will be the end of it but if you don't I have a personal set of skills and with those skills I will find you and build gold statues around you", kidnapper "wait how many statues do you have? Marnie are you hearing this? He cant fix the dang bus but he can buy gold statues." Marnie "mmmmhmmmhmmmm" Kidnapper "right, I am glad I am recording"Lewis "no that will jeopardize my position" Marnie "mmmhmmmhmm" Lewis "Oh yeah I care about your safety too"

imnvs

Local Legend
True dat, I kinda feel the same way as @Lew Zealand does on that front though. If it screws with Lewis I like to do it. Period. I do not like Lewis at all. So, while you cannot steal a person you can influence them to decide not to associate with another person, which is what I would like to do.
You can try, yes, to guide someone away from another, but one thing I know from studying human behavior as something of an outsider? I'll be blunt: some people will love people that hurt them in some/many ways, and sometimes there is nothing you can do to change their mind. (Exhibit A, if anyone questions this, will be a tragic story none of you want to hear about my relationship with my father.)

I choose to be charitable somewhat, though, and believe that Lewis and Marnie's relationship is not bad... but that he is (without any true need) scared that if the relationship became public that he could be accused of bias by having a relationship with one of the larger business owners in Pelican Town.

You can try, yes, to guide someone away from another, but one thing I know from studying human behavior as something of an outsider? I'll be blunt: some people will love people that hurt them in some/many ways, and sometimes there is nothing you can do to change their mind. (Exhibit A, if anyone questions this, will be a tragic story none of you want to hear about my relationship with my father.)

I choose to be charitable somewhat, though, and believe that Lewis and Marnie's relationship is not bad... but that he is (without any true need) scared that if the relationship became public that he could be accused of bias by having a relationship with one of the larger business owners in Pelican Town.
Every word, completely true. (I'm something of an introvert and outsider as well, due to being homeschooled and just some generally bad experiences with people.) I completely agree. Definitely don't share an experience that makes you uncomfortable though.

hexnessie

Farmer
I was seeing a picture of Lewis saying "You can let her go and walkaway and that will be the end of it but if you don't I have a personal set of skills and with those skills I will find you and build gold statues around you"
Marnie is actually very much into purple silk. Not just Lewis' although the 'shorts' are displayed prominently in her bedroom - she stares dreamily at the pig-drawn trader boat at winter feast and comments about the exquisite purple silk they carry.

Sometimes I wonder if I could tempt her with a purple silk bikini.

Sigrah

Farmer
Honestly, I don't like either one of them. As to who I dislike more, I guess Lewis because I always choose to blackmail him for star tokens instead of beating the crap out of Pierre's Grange Display for the top prize of star tokens.

imnvs

Local Legend
Honestly, I don't like either one of them. As to who I dislike more, I guess Lewis because I always choose to blackmail him for star tokens instead of beating the crap out of Pierre's Grange Display for the top prize of star tokens.
I hate having to play dumb games for the rest of the star tokens I need/want, though. Public threats of humiliation for him is grand fun... after I get my stardrop.

Sigrah

Farmer
I hate having to play dumb games for the rest of the star tokens I need/want, though. Public threats of humiliation for him is grand fun... after I get my stardrop.
I just spin the wheel and bet 20% of whatever my current star token total is on *SPOILER* until I have enough tokens to buy out the vendor. Sooner or later, usually within 8 to 10 spins, I have enough.

Green

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
So I don't actually loathe either of these characters, they both have good and bad things about them but for the sake of the topic I'll choose Pierre as the worse of the two.

Like, yeah the town was in disrepair and they couldn't really function for too much, and I do think that is partly Lewis's fault, but it also just became too much for him to take on by himself. The taxes he collects is likely very little in the beginning of the game and just enough for him to get by as Mayor, as well as prep for the festivals. I personally believe that when you show up and generate a lot of income for the townsfolk is he able to have some stuff on the side and get the special-event-thing-that-shall-not-be-named.

His relationship with Marnie is very weird and taboo, and I have always been team Marlon for this one, but it is true that he's pretty old and the town probably functioned pretty differently back then. Maybe he's just stuck in the past and needs a nudge forward.

I put Pierre lower because selling him your produce just makes me so grumpy!! It feels like he takes the credit for all your hard work rather than spreading the good will that the farmer sells him good quality products. And then you get people in town talking bad about it! ):
I also just find him to be an overbearing dad in a different way from Demetrius and I think he's just so attached to selling and making money that he forgets the responsibilities of his family. Money can be a source of frustration for many, and I think it's something EVERY person in Pelican Town has experienced yet he's the one that makes such a big deal out of it. It just rubs me the wrong way personally. That also created some distrust with his family I think and it's just a very hard thing to work your way out of. I don't hold a ton of sympathy for Pierre, and I think an attitude change would really help out a lot of the problems he faces

Hollowess

Farmhand
I have mixed feelings about Shane, torn between hating his habits and he's trying to be a good guy. I just saw the sweetest heart even featuring him, so I am not too upset with him anymore. Even if his code does not make a massive change after the heart event, it's all good.

I actually don't dislike Pierre; sure, he is a capitalist and honestly there is nothing wrong with that. Pierre tries to be a good father to Abigail, and I have not generally seen Caroline even trying to help him, unless you count her complaining about Abigail's hair. He's managing 1 of 2 general stores and is under a lot of pressure. Who even knows how much his rent is...? Maybe I have not unlocked an event where Caroline does try to help. But all round he is trying. Who knows, maybe he suspected Caroline was unfaithful? It's irritating how much fire Pierre is always under for being a capitalist. The guy is running a business, heaven forbid he gets 1 day off a week too! Frankly, if you had to work those hours irl, I am sure you would not be overworked and tire.... right? And then Caroline is always making him cook dinner too! Why don't people get mad about her? There's a lot that I could say about this, some probably which I should not due to forum rules and just being polite. I try to see where the other person is coming from, if I can. I think people in general have overall lost the ability to see beyond themselves.

Mayor Lewis is a neglectful mayor and is overall creepy! I completely dislike his relationship with Marnie. She deserves so much better; it would be sweet if she got with Clint and they both would be happy. Also, if you are supposing that Lewis is something of a mob boss, don't those guys try to take as much money as they can get?
For the Shane part, I actually agree with that. I don't marry him in any of my playthroughs, but I get my friendship up with him to max because he ends up seeing a therapist and I don't like leaving him to his bad habits.

EDIT:
I got it wrong.

It's funny that anything related to se* is considered the worst thing morally.
I want to play the devil advocate right now to challenge your thoughts. – I am going to make you all angry.
I consider all sins equal. Let's judge people by their effort to be better people. Nobody is perfect.

I think Lewis is better than Pierre.
Why? He put the distance away from Marnie because he wanted to remain a mayor.
He made clear that he did not love her. He used her for a selfish reason.
I think everyone got wrong for pointing out Lewis for taking advantage of Marnie.
Everyone thought it would be nice to see Lewis marrying Marnie to redeem himself.
I'm afraid I have to disagree because he is not the right man for Marnie.

In reality, he made it clear to stop this relationship with Marnie.
Therefore, I give Lewis kudos for distancing himself from Marnie and prioritizing his career.
He sets boundaries to stop his relationship with Marnie.
He knew he was doing wrong, and he made some effort to stop this relationship.
Despite working hard as a mayor, he needs to work on his honesty.
EDIT: NOP LEWIS IS THE WORSE

On the other hand, Pierre never made an effort to change a better version of himself in the game.
He refused to understand his daughter's passion for sword fighting and has some integrity issues in the business from selling something expensive and illegal stuff.
The good thing is that he can take a break to rest at the bar and beach for himself while he is aware that he is losing some money; he started to appreciate his alone time. Overall, I was not impressed with his character development in the game because he hasn't put some effort into evaluating his personality or his integrity. But Lewis did it painfully..... Therefore, I think Pierre is worse than Lewis.

Last edited:

Elenna101

Farmer
It's funny that anything related to se* is considered the worst thing morally.
I want to play the devil advocate right now to challenge your thoughts. – I am going to make you all angry.
I consider all sins equal. Let's judge people by their effort to be better people. Nobody is perfect.

I think Lewis is better than Pierre.
Why? He put the distance away from Marnie because he wanted to remain a mayor.
He made clear that he did not love her. He used her for a selfish reason.
I think everyone got wrong for pointing out Lewis for taking advantage of Marnie.
Everyone thought it would be nice to see Lewis marrying Marnie to redeem himself.
I'm afraid I have to disagree because he is not the right man for Marnie.

In reality, he made it clear to stop this relationship with Marnie.
Therefore, I give Lewis kudos for distancing himself from Marnie and prioritizing his career.
He sets boundaries to stop his relationship with Marnie.
He knew he was doing wrong, and he made some effort to stop this relationship.
Despite working hard as a mayor, he needs to work on his honesty.

On the other hand, Pierre never made an effort to change a better version of himself in the game.
He refused to understand his daughter's passion for sword fighting and has some integrity issues in the business from selling something expensive and illegal stuff.
The good thing is that he can take a break to rest at the bar and beach for himself while he is aware that he is losing some money; he started to appreciate his alone time. Overall, I was not impressed with his character development in the game because he hasn't put some effort into evaluating his personality or his integrity. But Lewis did it painfully..... Therefore, I think Pierre is worse than Lewis.
I don't think Lewis ended the relationship though? In that cutscene, he says stuff like "I'm sure you understand we have to keep this a secret" but he never says anything about stopping.