Issue When my farmer enters a part of town, it takes minutes to load, freezes, or even crashes my computer.

theworstapollo

Newcomer
Hi, I’m hoping someone could help me find a solution. When I am playing on my Windows computer, single-player, modded, I noticed the issue of my computer or the game freezing, crashing, or generally taking a concerning amount of time to load when entering another part of the map. As of the moment of writing this message, I am checking for mods that need to be updated or even removed from the game. To provide those who are helping me with assistance, I will provide a list of mods I can assume would cause a problem.

To note, when I checked to see any issues with the mods, I learned that, despite updating my mods yesterday, that there are 3 mods out of date and needing an update. If they are the cause of this problem, I will post at the bottom of this message. With that, I aim to help others who are having, had, the same problem as me.

I would also like to comment that I am new to the community and modding my game. As I believe I have taken the correct actions with modding Stardew Valley, feel free to point out issues that might seem to be a ‘known-facted’ or an ‘unwritten rule’ within the community.

Including the mods listed below, there are 43 mods in my game.
The mods that needed to be updated were:
  • SMAPI
  • Fashion Sense
  • Json Assets.
Mods that do not have update keys:
  • [CP] Oversized Sleeves
  • Coii’s Basic Shirts Pack
  • Fairy Mushroom Tree
  • Le Halo
  • Rime’s Hats
Mods that directly affect the game’s code:
  • Custom Spouse Patio
  • Fashion Sense
  • Get Glam
  • Json Assets
  • Multiple Spouses
  • SpaceCore
  • Stardew Web

I did my own form of troubleshooting, or I did some troubleshooting. The mods I listed first have been updated, and I checked to see any changes in the game’s loading times.

There was a small moment of the game being non-responsive but the load to the start screen was smooth. I started out the save file I am stating this complaint from. Currently, as I try to make my farmer exit the house, there was a long pause before I saw the screen. It wasn’t as long as the other times, but deserved a mention. As for now I am testing in a window, I noticed that during that period, the game was unresponsive. Going from my farm to the bus area, no wait at all. But, when attempting to travel from that area to the town, my game became unresponsive. It’s clear now that this is not an issue with the mods that were not up to date. And, from what I can assume, the mods that have no update keys should not affect the game in this kind of way, as they are seemingly functioning and cosmetic.

If you could hand me any assistance with this, I would greatly appreciate it. If you need more information to help assists in the situation, just contact me with what is needed and how I would be able to access that information. Thank you.

Kreeate

Rancher
Hi, I’m hoping someone could help me find a solution. When I am playing on my Windows computer, single-player, modded, I noticed the issue of my computer or the game freezing, crashing, or generally taking a concerning amount of time to load when entering another part of the map. As of the moment of writing this message, I am checking for mods that need to be updated or even removed from the game. To provide those who are helping me with assistance, I will provide a list of mods I can assume would cause a problem.

To note, when I checked to see any issues with the mods, I learned that, despite updating my mods yesterday, that there are 3 mods out of date and needing an update. If they are the cause of this problem, I will post at the bottom of this message. With that, I aim to help others who are having, had, the same problem as me.

I would also like to comment that I am new to the community and modding my game. As I believe I have taken the correct actions with modding Stardew Valley, feel free to point out issues that might seem to be a ‘known-facted’ or an ‘unwritten rule’ within the community.

The mods that needed to be updated were:
  • SMAPI
  • Fashion Sense
  • Json Assets.
Mods that do not have update keys:
  • [CP] Oversized Sleeves
  • Coii’s Basic Shirts Pack
  • Fairy Mushroom Tree
  • Le Halo
  • Rime’s Hats
Mods that directly affect the game’s code:
  • Custom Spouse Patio
  • Fashion Sense
  • Get Glam
  • Json Assets
  • Multiple Spouses
  • SpaceCore
  • Stardew Web

I did my own form of troubleshooting, or I did some troubleshooting. The mods I listed first have been updated, and I checked to see any changes in the game’s loading times.

There was a small moment of the game being non-responsive but the load to the start screen was smooth. I started out the save file I am stating this complaint from. Currently, as I try to make my farmer exit the house, there was a long pause before I saw the screen. It wasn’t as long as the other times, but deserved a mention. As for now I am testing in a window, I noticed that during that period, the game was unresponsive. Going from my farm to the bus area, no wait at all. But, when attempting to travel from that area to the town, my game became unresponsive. It’s clear now that this is not an issue with the mods that were not up to date. And, from what I can assume, the mods that have no update keys should not affect the game in this kind of way, as they are seemingly functioning and cosmetic.

If you could hand me any assistance with this, I would greatly appreciate it. If you need more information to help assists in the situation, just contact me with what is needed and how I would be able to access that information. Thank you.
Hi,

Can you please upload your SMAPI log to https://smapi.io/log (see instructions on that page) and share the link here?

theworstapollo

Newcomer
Hi,

Can you please upload your SMAPI log to https://smapi.io/log (see instructions on that page) and share the link here?
I would like to apologize for my ignorance with how questions and asking for assistance should be formatted on this form. To correct my mistake, I will provide the missing information in the message edited or replied.

Game Verison - 1.5.5
SMAPI log - https://smapi.io/log/03c3f938cfda4d8ca41191fd6a1b1de3

Within the span of correcting my mistake, I removed two mods that showed to have issues. This was Multiple Spouses and Stardew Web. There were still five issues, one with game 1.5.5 and four with [CP] Custom Menu Background 1.1.2. With these mods removed, I tested the game again.

00:01.59 from the farm to the bus.
I stopped the timer for 5 minutes, this was the time for waiting for my farmer and the game to load the town.

Dragonheardt

Planter
You may already know this but Multiple Spouses is obsolete after 1.5.4. Free Love is the new iteration that is meant for 1.5.5 moving forward. If you like the Multiple Spouses mod, you can use that one instead.

Kreeate

Rancher
I would like to apologize for my ignorance with how questions and asking for assistance should be formatted on this form. To correct my mistake, I will provide the missing information in the message edited or replied.

Game Verison - 1.5.5
SMAPI log - https://smapi.io/log/03c3f938cfda4d8ca41191fd6a1b1de3

Within the span of correcting my mistake, I removed two mods that showed to have issues. This was Multiple Spouses and Stardew Web. There were still five issues, one with game 1.5.5 and four with [CP] Custom Menu Background 1.1.2. With these mods removed, I tested the game again.

00:01.59 from the farm to the bus.
I stopped the timer for 5 minutes, this was the time for waiting for my farmer and the game to load the town.
Hello,

No need to apologize. You have provided a lot of good information.
Thank you for the log.

Let's try a few things first...

1. Verify your game files on Steam
2. Reinstall Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0 ( this may require a computer reboot )
3. Remove the mod Transparent Blue Interface 2.0.2 as it currently seems to be incompatible with SDV 1.5.5
4. SMAPI reports that there are no audio devices present. This may be fixed by re-installing Microsoft XNA, but please ensure that your speakers or headphones are functional and plugged in.

Once you have done the above, please re-load your game and try once more.
If the time lag persists, kindly exit the game, generate a new SMAPI log and post the link here.

Last edited:

theworstapollo

Newcomer
You may already know this but Multiple Spouses is obsolete after 1.5.4. Free Love is the new iteration that is meant for 1.5.5 moving forward. If you like the Multiple Spouses mod, you can use that one instead.
Hello,

No need to apologize. You have provided a lot of good information.
Thank you for the log.

Let's try a few things first...

1. Verify your game files on Steam
2. Reinstall Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0 ( this may require a computer reboot )
3. Remove the mod Transparent Blue Interface 2.0.2 as it currently seems to be incompatible with SDV 1.5.5
4. SMAPI reports that there are no audio devices present. This may be fixed by re-installing Microsoft XNA, but please ensure that your speakers or headphones are functional and plugged in.

Once you have done the above, please re-load your game and try once more.
If the time lag persists, kindly exit the game, generate a new SMAPI log and post the link here.
First, I would like to thank you both for assisting me. It’s greatly appreciated. Next, I want to apologize for the last response. I thought I sent something back to you all, but it was not so.

Kreeate, I have verified my games files on Steam.

I am going to reinstall Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0. But, I think the new update, 1.5.5, it migrated the game from XNA (targeting .NET Framework 4.5.2) to MonoGame (targeting .NET 5). Might have made this action unnecessary, so I’m looking for other instruction.

I removed the mod.

I would like you to know, that there is no audio devices present as there are none connected. Unless there needs to be, do I still need to continue troubleshooting for it, or is there another process I should take?

This is also another issue I noticed, if there is anyone who understands what this means and the process of solving it, it would be amazing. A screenshot will be provided.

This is the log when there was no audio connected:
This is the log when there was audio connected:

*Note

(Before checking if my game worked with what you suggested, I thought about how upsetting it would be if my game was lagging and freezing to this extreme amount because I had mods in my game with no speakers, headphones connected. It worked well before I had mods without any audio devices connected.)

(When I was trying to load up the game with all you told me completed, SMAPI could barely load all thre way or even start with the process it does.)

I might need to update everything again… But there isn’t a new version of SMAPI out. I have 3.13.2.

Or it could be the time I needed to update like, yesterday and just opened Steam now.

Also, like I seen in other people’s posts about modding Stardew Valley, there was an issue where SMAPI took minutes to load and apparently people have experiences where it works quickly. But when I look at the log, it says nothing is wrong?

Now to check for lag:

Farmer out of house
1:19.17
Farmer to Bus Stop
Around 2 seconds, the stopwatch keep running.
Farmer to Town
Computer in whole started to lag.

Last edited:

Kreeate

Rancher
@theworstapollo
The XNA error in the log was due to not having any audio device connected. You can ignore point No. 2 in my previous post in this case.
The screenshot with SteamnetworkingSockets seem like an issue with Steam itself and may be unrelated to SDV.

Your new logs show no errors and everything should run smoothly.

1. Are you experiencing this lag issue only on a specific Save file? Or does it happen on a fresh/new Save as well?
2. What are your computer specs? RAM, Graphics, CPU?
3. Could you make a zipped file of your Mods folder and upload it to somewhere like dropbox or googledrive and send me the link privately? (click my avatar and then click "Start conversation")
4. Please make a copy of your Save Folder and link that here.

With point No. 3 and 4 above, I can try to reproduce the issue on my PC and hopefully be able to further troubleshoot.