When do you just reroll?

Polaris

Sodbuster
I'm running a couple of new saves the past couple weeks and noticed some striking differences in the map seed and how the RNG shows up. I'm curious at what point you other players 'call it' and just reroll?

For example, one of the new saves uses the remixed bundles and I got some rough combos that will ensure I can't complete the Community Center in Year 1 or maybe even Year 2. On the other save, foraging opportunities are surprisingly low across the board. So when you do call it and reroll? Or do you push it?

Lew Zealand

Helper
I push it because I find that I oddly enjoy games more the more restrictive they become. My assumption is that too many choices makes my brain turn off. Wide open RPGs and complicated skill trees are my videogame-agoraphobia. In this vein, I find Stardew Valley to be rather open and non-restrictive within its ruleset, though that doesn't make obtaining the Red Cabbage seed in Summer Y2 any less annoying. :mad: Using that as an example, there are other ways to obtain that particular seed as described in various topics here and I take rueful pleasure in the fact that I've forgotten what any of those strategies are. Yes, I choose to view that as contributing to the relative restriction and more game enjoyment.

Which would probably drive some people here crazy.

I cannot rule out that I'm already crazy and have beaten you all to that endgame.

As another example, my favorite Minecraft world of all was my sky island, where you need to build a maximized community from a very few starter blocks and a seedling.

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
I've never just rerolled because I didn't like the seed, tbh. I play just about every save through until I've accomplished everything I want to in that save... and in at least 2 of the 4 saves that aren't played much these days, 2 were solo saves that I'd made over 75M in each and the other 2 were MP saves and it was a bit more complicated... 1 was our first MP save that we'd reached the "making money to make money" point in 1.4.5 and had left it behind and didn't want to resurrect it for 1.5 content, and the other was our 2nd MP save that we paused when 1.5 came out and was nearing that point too, though wasn't quite there yet. I'm on my 3rd solo save and we're on our 3rd MP save... and that's pretty much it.

Last edited:
I’ve never rerolled a save, either. For me I prefer taking what I get and find exploring the nuances of what that seed has to offer within the confines of the game itself to be part of the fun.

Though it doesn’t apply to me, I wonder if looking at a seed in a predictor but not starting a save under it, then abandoning it as undesirable counts in your book. If so I think Blade might skew the average a bit XD. If not then Blade still might but I’d be curious to know what the count is either way.

Regardless, you’re definitely not alone if you choose to call it! It’s just not how I tend to roll personally.

Polaris

Sodbuster
Thanks for the replies, and I'm not surprised by them. I only learned a couple days ago that each file has a different seed, so it has me a bit hyper aware of the differences between save files. It seems most folks have a plan for their rerolls, but I generally do not - beyond taking a look at what the farm looks like on a different map.

Coming back to SDV after being gone a couple years is like a whole new game relearning everything, plus the added content since the original launch.

Salty1

Planter
I don't reroll, but sometimes I take great amusement in the quirks of a particular seed. Case in point - finding the elfen jewelry on day one, but having the glass shards (which is normally very common for me) be the last artifact to collect in that save.

Worblehat

Planter
For a game with default settings, I can't think of a scenario where I'd reroll. On the other hand, browsing the Remixed Bundles, I could see myself rerolling if the Engineer's Bundle or the Master Fisher's Bundle came up. The former because I despise Skull Cavern so iridium is extremely rare and precious before the start of Year 3; the latter because I am noping right out of doing the harder non-legendary fish for the community center. I can do them (and am less unwilling to do so than Skull Cavern), I just really don't want to.

I don't see the bundles in Stardew Predictor, though maybe that's because my only save so far used the default settings so there are no bundles to predict. Would save some time if I could check that on day 1 - I'll definitely be remixing in save #2, whenever I decide what I want to do in that save.

Boo1972

Farmer
The only time I abandoned a save file was my first ever farm. It wasn’t because of the game but because I accidentally pick axed an ancient fruit seed. I was frustrated at my own incompetence.

I really enjoy playing a game through until its completed- whatever that means for that particular farmer. Every game seed has its pluses and minuses and I enjoy them all.

Last edited:

Rhiannon

Farmer
I have only "rerolled" once in my years of playing SDV. That was because I realized after playing a while that the map I started with wasn't the right one for me and my game goals. So I started over and haven't looked back. Apparently I've only completed 64% of the game but that's fine by me. I keep setting goals for myself, achieving them and set new ones. My ultimate goal is to achieve 100% perfection and I expect that to take a few RL years.

Having said that, I recently purchased the game for my iPad (I have only played on PC previously). I have to say that starting over was both fun/exciting and a royal pain. I miss the millions of gold I have in my other save and it seems almost daunting to have to save up just to buy a chicken. Not being friends with anyone makes me sad (compared to full hearts with everyone). My fishing on my PC save is SO much less annoying since I have the best fishing rod, bait and lures to make it doable when necessary.

So the idea of restarting over and over is foreign to me. But the best part about SDV: there are no rules on how you play!

Lew Zealand

Helper
Rhiannon just reminded me that I actually did "reroll" one of my games but me being me, rerolling would have made too much sense. Instead I edited my save's Farm type from Hilltop to Standard, fully knowing that would mess up all the tile placements. You know, just for science. Fully understanding that I would undo that later, clean up the placements of everything, and redo it properly.

'Later' hasn't happened yet.

And while a lot of 'later' has passed under the bridge in the 13.7 billion years of the universe so you'd think I should get a move on, I've been assured that the weakest of the red dwarf stars out there will meekly extinguish their meager wicks 10 trillion years from now.

No need to work up a sweat about it, I got time.

Last edited:
Like most others I just push through with the current seed and explore, dealing with the RNG. The only reason I start a new game is for a new personal mission/challenge, usually if I'm getting bored at whatever my aim is in my current game (I like to take a break then come back to it later, because sometimes that makes things feel more fresh and fun). I usually keep 2 games going at a time.

Polaris

Sodbuster
... I have to say that starting over was both fun/exciting and a royal pain. I miss the millions of gold I have in my other save and it seems almost daunting to have to save up just to buy a chicken. Not being friends with anyone makes me sad (compared to full hearts with everyone). My fishing on my PC save is SO much less annoying since I have the best fishing rod, bait and lures to make it doable when necessary.
Oh I so much hear this lol.

nicodeux

Farmer
I don't reroll nor edit my save file.

I consider that the game seed is part of the experience and I take the good and the bad parts of it.

It happens that I reroll a day from time to time because I lacked of efficiency or missed a time window that day (like a shop opening time). But I don't remember rerolling a day because of bad RNG.

And I've been accustomed to have bad luck with RNG since... well, that long, that I think I don't care anymore ! :grin:

Rhiannon

Farmer
It happens that I reroll a day from time to time because I lacked of efficiency or missed a time window that day (like a shop opening time). But I don't remember rerolling a day because of bad RNG.
Since I don't reroll even a day, I had this happen yesterday: I was heading to the clinic to drop off a requested item to Harvey. I accidentally went into the market by mistake. I popped right back out and went to the clinic and clicked the door. It was EXACTLY 4pm and the clinic had just closed. If I had clicked the right door, I would have been able to give Harvey his hot pepper. Instead I turned around and went back home with a mental note to head to clinic ON TIME the next day.

Polaris

Sodbuster
Yesterday I very much wished I knew how to edit a file or remembered how to reroll a day. I'm on year 3 still missing 3 fish for the Community Center. And when I got one yesterday (Catfish), what did I do? I made it into sashimi! And then to make matters worse I went to bed for the night and saved it... So very /facepalm.

Worblehat

Planter
how to reroll a day
Go to where your save files are located, (Windows: %AppData%\StardewValley\Saves\ or Mac OSX & Linux: ~/.config/StardewValley/Saves/), copy the files ending in _old to replace the files with no _old suffix. If you're on one of the platforms where you don't have access to your save files, I believe this is a de facto ironman game for you.

I reroll days all the time, or did when I actually did much of anything in any given day. The UI is so clunky, and my memory is so bad, something goes wrong pretty often. 🙂 Somehow dropped a bomb in the keg shed, reroll the day. Forgot something Clint or Robin need for the building or upgrade I'm buying, reroll the day. Died in the mines, reroll the day. Though the terminology is inaccurate in this context - "reroll" has a connotation of dice, and thus trying to get a better result from the RNG in some way, whereas this is simply restarting in order to avoid an obvious mistake. Though I have occasionally rerolled in that sense too - "No Maru, I don't want fried mushrooms, I want a bomb!" :maru:💣

PookieDoodle

Rancher
Like most others I just push through with the current seed and explore, dealing with the RNG. The only reason I start a new game is for a new personal mission/challenge, usually if I'm getting bored at whatever my aim is in my current game (I like to take a break then come back to it later, because sometimes that makes things feel more fresh and fun). I usually keep 2 games going at a time.
I do the same thing. Both my saved game farmers are completely opposite of each other. So if I get bored with one, I cheat on her with the other one. lol