What's Your Horse's Name & Why?

Veracious

Tiller
Hi all I'm not sure if there has been another thread like this before, however I've become rather curious to what everyone has named their Horse &/or other animals if not horse, I'd love to see what everyone has used.

From current play or most favourite play through please share:

Name of Horse or Animal?

What made you pick that name?

Also do you name your Horse/Animal the same every play through or do you change it? (If you have more then 1 play through)

If a different Animal please share which one.

Your welcome to share a list of all your farm animals if you like.

Veracious

Tiller
I guess I better share mine:

Names used:
Horse > Stranger
Dog > Sam
Blue Chickens > Red & Black (Twins lol)
Void Chickens > Drogo, Drake, Thorne
Pigs > Babe, Muddz, Mr Huffle, Tuffy, Puffy, Pugzly, Tommy, Mudzo
Cow > Melaki
Duck > Quackster, Rubba, Dooky, Goose,
Goat > Granny
Lizzard > Thin Lizzy, Shizard, Nukey Boy, Speckler, Skully, Charlie, Spike, Roger, Oden, Turbo, Myloffeee
Rabbit > Rabbie & Reena
Ostrich > Bruce & Ulga

Stranger is from GOT Sandor Clegane named his horse Stranger I thought that it was amazing looking horse and a cool name to go with it.
but its cute when I get back from the desert and "Stranger has wondered where you have been"
or when I come out in the morning I say to my horse "Good morning Stranger how are you today" .

Last edited:

Rhiannon

Farmer
UhBoy. You might be sorry you asked me this question.

Horse: None. I don't like them. I lose them too much and popping on and off is annoying.
Cat: Furbutt
Cow: Clara (same one I get in year 1)
Chicken: Lucy (Same one I get in year 1)
Duck: Daffy
Rabbit: Thumper
Goats: Billy, Button, Nanny, Sparky, Walnut, Nugget, Poppy, Tater, Persimmon, Pan
Dinosores: Sprino, Allos, Tyra, Stegos, Mega, Tricer, Brachi, Mosas
Ostriches: Clemtine, Rhea, Oscar, Fuzzy, Pippa, Tofu, Feathers, Fluff Ball, Huckleberry, Droppy, Flash, Stitch

Those are my current animals on my longest play through which is 11 game years. I start off by necessity with more chickens, but sell all but one off as soon as I can get ducks. And then when I get dinosaurs I sell the ducks except one. One rabbit for obvious reasons. I get pigs to start off with because of the community center but get rid of them when I don't need them anymore. I don't care for their sound and don't care for processing the truggles.

I'm not an overly creative person and have trouble with names. Goats were easier. For dinosaures, I just looked up actual dinosaurs and then shortened the names. For instance Sprino is short for Sprinosaurus. The for some of the ostriches I tried to use names that described the creatures on the screen. Fuzzy. Flash. Fluff Ball.

I should also note that I had to start keeping a list of my animals' names. I accidentally ended up with 3 (three) goats named Billy once. I figured out how to change their names but this was a royal pain when I finally realized it. I had two barns side-by-side and it took me a while to figure out what I had done.

I think naming the animals is one of the funnest features in the game.

Quirinea

Farmer
I often do not have a horse, but when I do,it is Polle (traditional Finnish horse name)
My dog is usually Varo (our dog,my avatar), cat varies. Sulo (mother-in-law had a ginger cat named that), Bastet, Misse (a Finnish traditional)
Cows named Finnish trad. Mansikki, Heluna, Muurikki.
I name my first goat Vohlukka (from Vohla "kid") and then make similar ones.
First pigs are Nasu (Piglet) and Putte (a pig in a song)
First hens are Kotko (clucker) and Tipuli (lil' chick) the void one is Kokotar (from Kokko a huge bird (rok) inFinnish legends)
First duck always Iines (Daisy Duck)
Rabbits are Tupuna, Punni (Finnish fairy-tale rabbits), Väiski (Bugs Bunny).
I usually name the animals Finnish even when I play in English.
(I have made a Finnish translation, but especially if I have mods that add a lot of dialogue I play in English to avoid language mess)

Apples

Farmhand
my current names for may animals are Heat Round for my cat, Nugget and Finger for my chickens and Patty and Chee as cows. Im thinking something like DAWN as in hammer of dawn but idk yet. seems like a bit much. But i did see one time a randomly generated name for a chicken be Killazor so...

edit: horse's name is dirtbag crits. do not ask

Last edited:

Lenora Rose

Farmer
This ironically runs into another light-ended challenge I gave myself. All my animals in my newest farmer have to be named a variant of the random-name-generator pick. I can change a couple of letters, but the basic sounds need to be in there. (So, not a real example, Ourlij would end up Ourla or Ojurla, depending how picky I was being in the moment about "all the sounds") So my first chicken, the random generator offered Zoom, so she's Zoom-zoom. My horse ended up named Grover, which was exactly what the generator came out with. She's not blue with a cape, though.

Lenora Rose

Farmer
I listed my name choices for my recently ended farmer Jules elsewhere:
Horse: Speedy
Dog: Huskarl
(Those two were named after their purposes in life; Huskarl means someone whose duty is to guard the home.)
Chickens: Thing 1, Thing 2, Thingamajig, Thingamabob, Thingie, Thingamawhatsis (Since this ran off the end of the screen, it's lists as 'Amawhatsis), Thing 2 Jr.
Cows: Burger, Steak, Roast, Stew, Burger Jr.
Ducks: Curry, Soup, L'Orange
Goats: Shawarma, Donair, Roti, Chop, Kebab, Gyro, and one that started with K I think that I can't track down now. My next name cued was Tagine. (I sold several, but they kept having babies unexpectedly.)
Rabbits; Hippity, Hoppity, Floppity.
Dinosaurs: Eeeek!, YIkes!, Uh-Oh!
Ostriches: Cinnamon, Cardamom, Oregano

As I noted, she was an Ovo-Lacto Pescatarian*, and she genuinely liked her animals, but she wanted really hard to act like she didn't respect them.

*So are most players, intentionally or otherwise, unless they use the Animal Husbandry mod, but with her it was intended as a bit.

SiameezyRPGer

Sodbuster
My horse tends to always get named Mr. Ed, cause who doesn't name their farming sim horse after a hilarious talking horse? Although, it's supposed to be spelled out as Mister Ed, and I always accidentally abbreviate it lol. My other animals usually get super random names. Though I also tend to at least name one cow, Moozer...idk why.

VampireCake

Rancher
My horse tends to always get named Mr. Ed, cause who doesn't name their farming sim horse after a hilarious talking horse? Although, it's supposed to be spelled out as Mister Ed, and I always accidentally abbreviate it lol. My other animals usually get super random names. Though I also tend to at least name one cow, Moozer...idk why.
I also have a Mr. Ed :proud:

Cat: Mojo (and always orange, I'm too fond of it to change it)
Cows: Daisy, Buttercup, Ermentrude
Goat: Agatha, other A names if I have more than one.
Chickens: Betty, Ethel
Dinosaur: Godzilla
Ducks: Dave, other D names if more than one.
Void chicken: Voidemort (because I'm easily amused), then other V names (Valerie, Victor etc)
Pigs: first is always Mr Bacon. If more: Pork Chop, Hambone, Scratchings.
Ostritches: Ozzy, Ozma.
Rabbit: Peter
Sheep: Fluffy

MissDandy

Farmer
My Dog's name is Milli, and my Horse's name is Vanilli. I'm not sure if this generation will understand, but that's fine.

I have a horse on another file named Broccoli, which has a story to it. My neighbour got drunk one night and forgot the name of his wife's horse. When I asked him what the name was, he said AND I QUOTE "I dunno, f****** Broccoli or something." Thus was born my SDV horse Broccoli. (The horse's actual name I found out, was Fancy. Alcohol does funny things.)

I also have an ostrich named RocketMan.

imnvs

Local Legend
I change names up between saves.

I've done a horse named Donkey and another named Camel. Why? Because I think it is funny.

My dinos are always named Frog and Toad, and if you don't understand that reference, we can't be friends until you read a book. 😉

I've named animals numbers, sequentially, like in one save as I got myself my 7 ostriches (carefully plotted out to each lay an egg on a different day so that I always got 1 ostrich egg per day) and named them One, Two, Three... all the way up to Seven.

I've named all my animals after other animals, but animals of the same type, so like in another save where all my ostriches were named things like Emu and Cassowary while I had cows named Bison and Buffalo, ducks named Hawk and Sparrow... and it's convenient that my dinos were still named Frog and Toad. 😁

I've named all my chickens once, when I finally got all blue chickens, after different shades of blue like Sapphire and Azure.

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
My Dinos are named after Toho Kaiju in my Beach Farm save. Most recent hoss is named Mr. Boneybutt after my (now not so) new Skeleton Hoss in Minecraft. Cat has yet to get a clever name, some of you know this from IRL. Chickens, Ducks, and Pigs are usually named after moods. My animals are moody and they need some self-expression. Of course I can't think of a one right now....

This ironically runs into another light-ended challenge I gave myself. All my animals in my newest farmer have to be named a variant of the random-name-generator pick. I can change a couple of letters, but the basic sounds need to be in there. (So, not a real example, Ourlij would end up Ourla or Ojurla, depending how picky I was being in the moment about "all the sounds") So my first chicken, the random generator offered Zoom, so she's Zoom-zoom. My horse ended up named Grover, which was exactly what the generator came out with. She's not blue with a cape, though.
Animals on my first 2 Farms are exactly what you describe, I just riffed on the random name suggestions, changing a letter or 3 to make something a littlle more recognizable. I'll have to open that save and have a look at the names.

My dinos are always named Frog and Toad, and if you don't understand that reference, we can't be friends until you read a book. 😉
We are super friends. My favorite books as a kid. Still have the illustration stuck in my head of all those buttons haphazardly sewn onto I think Frog's shirt by Toad.

My Dog's name is Milli, and my Horse's name is Vanilli. I'm not sure if this generation will understand, but that's fine.

I have a horse on another file named Broccoli, which has a story to it. My neighbour got drunk one night and forgot the name of his wife's horse. When I asked him what the name was, he said AND I QUOTE "I dunno, f****** Broccoli or something." Thus was born my SDV horse Broccoli. (The horse's actual name I found out, was Fancy. Alcohol does funny things.)

I also have an ostrich named RocketMan.
Ha! I had Goats named Rob and Fab for a while until I found I didn't like Goats so much in the game. Was a side effect of the random name generator for the first and just went with it for the second.

Last edited:

Sigrah

Farmer
Mine:

Cat: Caesar or Cleo, depending on my mood. Named after two cats with those names who passed on a long time ago.

Horse: Merlin. I don't know why, he only ever wears Fedoras and Top Hats.

Pigs: Bacon, Sausage, Ham, Salami, and other pork based meats. They're just lucky there are no bacon based cooking dishes in the default game.

Goats/Cows: Old school names like Ethyl, Bernice, Bertha, Ester, etc. They seem like the best fitting names to me.

Brown Chickens: 1 and 2. They only stay until I get 2 large brown eggs (one for community center, other for shipping bin), and then it's off to be chicken dinner for some lucky family because brown eggs don't stack with the white eggs that both White and Blue chickens lay.

White Chickens: Whatever the Random Name Generator picks. Don't care, they're boring.

Blue Chickens: Sapphire, Turquoise, Aquamarine, and other blue based gemstones. Except for the two I name "Joja" and "Pepsi".

Void Chickens: Midnight, Shade, Voodoo, and Umbra (I only keep 4). They're dark, twisted mockeries of normal chickens, so why not names reflecting that?

Ducks: Daffy and Donald (I only keep 2). I just wish Daffy would shout "Yoinks and away!" from time to time.

Rabbits: Bugs and Roger (I only keep 2). I know, I should just name the other one Jessica if I'm going to have one named Roger, but Jessica just isn't a wisecracker like Bugs is.

Ilune

Planter
i have a lot of saving files, but here the most common names I used for my animals:
chicken: Lady, Cocca, Coccò, Kuko, Cocchi, Piuma ("feather")
ducks: Qwaky, Squeak, Ducky
rabbit: Bunny, Usagi
Dino: Dina, Saura, Pepper, Rex
Cow: Lola & Lalo, Milky & Choco, Whitney & Brownie
Sheep: Dolly, Molly, Lolly (Dolly for the famous cloned sheep, then my sheep cloned herself giving birth to other sheeps, so, they are lolly and molly)
Goat: Fiocco, Neve (Fiocco di neve means Snowflakes, and she's Haidy favourite goat in the omonimous book and cartoon), Bella
Pig: Pinky, Bacon, Ciccio
Ostrich: Frufru, Frifri, Frafra, Frefre and Frofro

Recently I named a white cow "oh-oh" because my daughter calls Oh-oh a footrest shaped as a white and black cow (she LOVE it and she always point cows on TV called them "oh-oh" or "mu-mu"

horse and cat/dog are namedaccording the theme of farm.
In a floral-and-honey fam, I named them (and the children) as flowers, in a crystallarium-farm, with the farmer named Diamond, they were Pearl and Amber. In another file I named the cat "Tom", like the cat always visiting my shop (because we keep for him food and water and let him rest when outside is cold, rainy or very hot - no, he's got a home and a caring human, he just like wandering and begging for food at butcher's, rotissrie and at my shop, and at other houses, lol).
In another file I named the horse "Pony" =)

Pluffy

Planter
Viking because orginally I wanted to put a warrior helmet on him, but it turned out there was no hat (in the early game) still used the name because it fitted.

Last edited: