What system should I buy to play 4-player split screen at 4k?

I had a small media center computer, but it has trouble playing 4-player split screen co-op. I tried on a i7 laptop with a 4GB 5300M in it and it could not handle it either. There was a lot of lagging, maybe 10fps or so.

I bought stardew valley for switch - but it only supports 2 player split screen - and at 1080p. I'm considering trying to build another computer or purchase an XBox S or XBox X in order to be able to play 4 player stardew valley. I'm assuming I need 2.5k-4k in order to fit everyone on screen best. We're playing on a 65" TV.

Any recommendations here? I'm trying to spend $500 or less for the sole purpose of being able to play this neat game with the family.

I purchased an XBox Series S and it was able to play 4player split screen at 4k no problem.

I also learned that my little tiny media center Core i5 5th gen(?) computer with integrated intel graphics was able to play 4-player stardew valley at 4k as well. Not sure what was up with the i7 laptop with a dedicated GPU not being able to play without stuttering.

The xbox S|X controllers ($50 or so) work well for a windows computer. Restarting or waking from sleep and the controllers are easy to reconnect.

Odin

Staff member
Glad you got a setup that works well! That is odd the laptop was having trouble with the game though.