What should I do with my greenhouse?

M_Kay

Newcomer
I've had mostly hops and a few other random crops in my greenhouse for the longest time. Hops can be a pain, though, since they can't be walked through. I can replace them with strawberries, cranberries, or blueberries and want to know which is the best option.

Well, as always the actual answer is 'whatever you like', but I don't suppose that's particularly helpful.

From a pure profit perspective, Hops are one of the most profitable things you can grow in your greenhouse because they produce daily. Brew those hops into pale ale, and you've got a rather lucrative business. Yes, you can't walk through them, however planning out your area ahead of time can help you maximize the profits. I've written a guide you can read if you like, going over the particulars.

However, if you're not keen on the idea of having to put in work every day, then there's another solution, but it isn't any of the options you mention. Ancient Fruit. All you need is one seed and a Seed Maker machine and you can propagate it. Once it is fully grown, and producing fruits on a weekly basis, process those fruits through your Seed Maker, plant, and repeat the process until you have a greenhouse full of ancient fruit raking in about a million per season. Getting your first ancient fruit can be a bit tricky, as you can't just purchase them. They've got a small chance of dropping from the bugs in the mines around levels 10-25, or if you run other seeds through the seed maker, there's roughly a half percent chance that instead of getting that seed, you'll get an ancient seed instead.

If you don't want to go through that effort, and just want to know which of the three, then it depends on how you want to process them. If you are just using preserves jars, I'd suggest blueberries, as they triple in value when turned into preserves. If you've got spare kegs, then go with Strawberries, as strawberry wine is more profitable.

Either way you go, don't forget you can plant peach and pomegranate trees around the perimeter of the growing area, rather than directly on it, for even more profits!

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
The absolute best is actually a mix of items.
The three most profitable things you can have in the greenhouse are:
1. Trees (Banana>Pomegranite/Peach)
2. Hops
3. Ancient Fruit without sprinklers or speedgro sf with sprinklers (I'd do the first as it's a LOT easier to manage)

The basic gist is 30 of the most profitable trees you can get first (18 on the perimeter, 12 on soil), hops to fill the rows up between the trees and finally ancient fruit to fill the walking paths between the hops and trees.
You'll also want full hops around the perimeter between all of the trees.

This makes about 60-70% more cash than purely ancient fruit, accounting for all produce being kegged (trees can be jarred as it takes a third as many jars though you lose some profit)

Rhiannon

Farmer
I've had mostly hops and a few other random crops in my greenhouse for the longest time. Hops can be a pain, though, since they can't be walked through. I can replace them with strawberries, cranberries, or blueberries and want to know which is the best option.
"whatever you like" is a good an answer as any.

For me personally, I have one of each fruit tree around the edge. In the middle I have four planting spots with iridium sprinklers and deluxe speed gro. Three of of plots have ancient fruit and one has star fruit.

As to your question, of the three fruits you mentioned, I think cranberries are the best because they continue to produce (same as blueberries) but the price you get for them and their canned jellies or wine are more than the others you mentioned.

amy_farris

Greenhorn
I love using my greenhouse for extra money! I normally get the greenhouse before I find ancient fruit, so I'll start with crops of strawberries or blueberries. I also use sprinklers in the greenhouse so I can just plant my crops and forget about them for a few days.

I also plant fruit trees on the edges of the square, I like having my fruit trees year round.

Once I have a seed maker and an ancient fruit, I will plant a ton of ancient fruit and start making wine with it. This is a really good way to make money with your greenhouse.

Strawberries, blueberries, and cranberries are all good choices for the greenhouse. Strawberries are loved gifts for Demetrius and Maru so I usually have at least a few. I tend to use several greenhouse plots just for loved gifts. Peppers are a loved gift for Lewis & Shane. Pumpkins for Willy and Abigail, poppies for Penny, spangle for Caroline, fairy rose for Evelyn & Jas, a grape for Vincent, cactus for Sam & Linus, sunflowers for Haley. Harvey loves pickles so I grow a corn or two. I also usually have an orange tree for Gus, peach tree for Robin, pomegranate for Elliot.
Another good use for the greenhouse besides profit and gifting, is to grow ingredients for cooking. Peppers in poppers or spicy eel give speed buffs, garlic for escargot's fishing buff.

As to your question, of the three fruits you mentioned, I think cranberries are the best because they continue to produce (same as blueberries) but the price you get for them and their canned jellies or wine are more than the others you mentioned.
While cranberries are more profitable per each, you get far more blueberries and make it up in volume. Cranberries produce 2 with a chance for a third every 5 days, Blueberries produce 3 with a chance of a fourth every 4 days. As long as you have the kegs to keep up with demand, blueberries are more profitable.

Strawberries are the most expensive per each. You get one strawberry per day every four days with a VERY slim chance for a bonus strawberry (wiki says 2%, that generally meshes with what I've experienced).

Blueberries sell for 50g/ea or 150g/ea for preserves. Given you have a guaranteed 3 berries, that's 450g per harvest. To match that with strawberries, you'd need to age the wine. Base value on strawberry wine is 360g/ea, so you'd need at least silver star aging to match the 450g. That's an awful lot of processing just to break even. Granted, if you continue aging it to iridium star, it goes for 720g/ea, but it takes two seasons to age to iridium quality.

All told, blueberries tend to make more sense unless you're wanting those strawberries to use as Loved Gifts. Which, granted, is a perfectly reasonable and valid use for the greenhouse, making sure that you're growing crops your friends love so you always have some in season.

Lew Zealand

Helper
It depends on how much fun you want to have with your Greenhouse. You'll find optimal layouts for the Fruit Trees on the sides but I recommend not putting any Trees along the bottom as they get in the way of seeing what's growing behind them, and just having some machines for processing or a chest for storage there is real nice, too. Anything to save time running about so you can rest lazily near a lake, uh, ehm Fish is an opportunity not to be missed.

In the tillable part I usually plant one of each reharvestable crop (Tomato, Corn, Strawberry, etc.) for variety and color, and then fill the rest with Ancient Fruit for Winemaking profits. I don't worry about Iridium vs. Pressurized vs. blahblah sprinklers as 'losing' a few tillable spots doesn't bother me. I'll eventually end up with Iridium and call it a day but not always.

Also if you want even more color in your Greenhouse, towards end game you can put Garden Pots between your fully grown Fruit Trees and plant a number of things. However you will need to defeat a late game Boss to acquire the mys-tickle knowledge to keep Garden Pots watered without you checking every day, so beware. That Boss is all about feathered and sparkly boredom so don't say you haven't been warned!

Ereo

Helper
It depends on how much fun you want to have with your Greenhouse. You'll find optimal layouts for the Fruit Trees on the sides but I recommend not putting any Trees along the bottom as they get in the way of seeing what's growing behind them, and just having some machines for processing or a chest for storage there is real nice, too. Anything to save time running about so you can rest lazily near a lake, uh, ehm Fish is an opportunity not to be missed.

In the tillable part I usually plant one of each reharvestable crop (Tomato, Corn, Strawberry, etc.) for variety and color, and then fill the rest with Ancient Fruit for Winemaking profits. I don't worry about Iridium vs. Pressurized vs. blahblah sprinklers as 'losing' a few tillable spots doesn't bother me. I'll eventually end up with Iridium and call it a day but not always.

Also if you want even more color in your Greenhouse, towards end game you can put Garden Pots between your fully grown Fruit Trees and plant a number of things. However you will need to defeat a late game Boss to acquire the mys-tickle knowledge to keep Garden Pots watered without you checking every day, so beware. That Boss is all about feathered and sparkly boredom so don't say you haven't been warned!
I put tea in the garden pots because it doesn't need to be watered. Then I only have to remember to go on every day to harvest in the last week of each season...

iceman42dave

Farmhand
I always go with ancient fruit in the greenhouse.
My current save I chopped down all my fruit trees and replaced them with 64 garden pots strategically placed, growing pineapples in deluxe retaining soil.
20221210195022_1.jpg

This is, of course, after I had no further use for the other tree fruits. And the pineapples here are being turned into jelly or wine.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Nice! I've been planting the same in Garden Pots with the same Soil but interspersed between Trees on the Sides and along the back wall for a bit more color.

Ereo

Helper
how do you get that mayn acient seeds? i have three growing and it takes one k to get them
The ones you buy for 1000 G are rare seeds. Ancient seeds you get from finding the ancient seed artifact and donating it to the museum.
Once you plant them, they take four weeks to grow, but after that they will produce a fruit every week which you can put in the seed maker.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
So I gotta say, I don't recommend doing what I did and planting a patch of every available regrowing crop in the game. I loved the IDEA of doing this, but I discovered that if enough things ripened at once, I didn't have the backpack inventory to harvest it all in one go! Sooo many trips to various chests and shipping bins to deal with the fallout. I was spending so much time in there, I couldn't pet my animals! It was awful tearing it up, but limiting myself to three crops made it a lot more manageable.