What music do you think Stardew Valley characters would like?

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
I listen to a ****ton of vaporwave and somber electronic music so I like to think that Sebastian might enjoy that since a lot of it matches his vibe

but i could totally also see him listen to uncannily cheerful music

ArtifactSpot

Harvey is a jazz enthusiast. It’s on the radio in his apartment and he continues to listen to it when married to him. That’s the only one I know for certain.

Hi! Today I was thinking about Emily while listening to Phish (one of my favorite bands of all time) and I thought that she would probably like their live music (specially their more spacey and atmospheric jams) and that made me wonder what music would other characters from the game like, so I made an account here to ask you guys. I thought about Penny liking ambient for reading too but I'd love to see what ideas you have for other characters!
I feel like shane would like jazz or
linus would like psychedelic rock
haley would like anything on the top 10 charts, but prefers it to be pop
emily would like sad baxter (very underrated even though their music isn't my favorite)

murphybridget

Greenhorn
I feel like shane would like jazz or
linus would like psychedelic rock
haley would like anything on the top 10 charts, but prefers it to be pop
emily would like sad baxter (very underrated even though their music isn't my favorite)
These musical tastes add depth to the characters and enrich the game's world.

murphybridget

Greenhorn
Hah, this is fun. Some kind of experimental/techno for Maru, folk/Americana for Leah, pure pop for Haley. I see ambient for Penny but I also think great belters/balladeers like Adele. Alex is straight up guitar rock. Elliott likes Chopin and Cole Porter.
In Stardew Valley, Maru grooves to experimental techno, Leah prefers folk/Americana, and Haley jams to pure pop. Penny enjoys ambient with Adele-like touches, while Alex rocks out to guitar-driven tracks. Elliott's tastes skew toward Chopin and Cole Porter-style ballads. These diverse musical choices enrich the game's atmosphere and character depth.

Jayamos

Farmer
In Stardew Valley, Maru grooves to experimental techno, Leah prefers folk/Americana, and Haley jams to pure pop. Penny enjoys ambient with Adele-like touches, while Alex rocks out to guitar-driven tracks. Elliott's tastes skew toward Chopin and Cole Porter-style ballads. These diverse musical choices enrich the game's atmosphere and character depth.
I get irritated when people basically copy my posts with some rewording. I’d be interested if you gave your own opinions, but please don’t do this.

Bawby

Planter
Honestly, who knows? A certain bachelor wanted advice on which sound to go with for his band during a heart event- wildly different genres to choose from if memory serves. No objections or creative differences from the bandmates, even though they don't "dress the part", for lack of better terms.
That being said, I really like the idea of Grandpa and some of the older residents picking and grinning on a porch or in front of the community center back in the day and the music taste/memory of good times stuck with the town for later generations.

murphybridget

Greenhorn
Honestly, who knows? A certain bachelor wanted advice on which sound to go with for his band during a heart event- wildly different genres to choose from if memory serves. No objections or creative differences from the bandmates, even though they don't "dress the part", for lack of better terms.
That being said, I really like the idea of Grandpa and some of the older residents picking and grinning on a porch or in front of the community center back in the day and the music taste/memory of good times stuck with the town for later generations.
You have a good point there.

NM The game came out in 2016 so my post was irrelevant. DANG I’m old! For some reason I thought this was released late 90’s/early 2000’s. So I babysat Caroline, Jodi and maybe even Robin. That would make me like Clint and maybe Marnie’s age? I hate reality. I will have a WHOLE new perspective playing this game that I will NEVER be able to shake. I think I’ll be hanging out in the mines even more now, taking out my frustration with aging out on monsters and breaking rocks. Hiding from the youngins everywhere around me. George and Evelyn are my parents age so I need to visit them much more! I don’t think I can even marry the older bachelors now cause again I was their babysitters irl, or even older than that. Oh Krobus where are you….? Where do you get that void pendant anyways?
Although Stardew Valley only came out about 8 years ago, the setting seems to be a little earlier. You can tell by the phones, televisions, and desktop computers. It seems like the 90s maybe? At the very end of the still working wooden tv era.
However, time works differently in Stardew Valley. Time cycles but does not pass, birthdays come every year but no one ages, the year is only 16 weeks long. The characters are ageless, the valley is timeless. Dinosaurs still roam, Abigail still plays the flute. (Abigail's old flute was made of bone, it's a fossil now, she's at least 10,000 years old.)

Alex - inspiring bro-rock the kind you see in crossfit instagram reels that has stomping and clapping in it
Elliot - Classical or anything classical-adjacent like Arvo Part and Philip Glass
Harvey - one of those guys who swears their music taste is "unconventional" because they don't like top 40 but they listen to The Beatles and Pink Floyd. Never shuts up about how the 70's had the best music.
Sam - Probably the most diverse taste out of most people in Stardew but has a special soft spot for early 2000's garage rock revival like The Strokes and The White Stripes
Sebastian - 80's nu wave primarily the real out of pocket stuff like Kraftwerk
Shane - Kenny Loggins. On repeat. Forever.
Abigail - Classic goth, nu goth, lo-fi goth-adjacent playlists/streams on YouTube
Emily - She loves a smart woman's pop star: Björk, Carly Rae Jepson, iamamiwhoami, Sevdaliza
Haley - if you think she's anything other than a swiftie, have you even played the game?
Leah - indie girl cursive singing, bands that have 11+ people and get real folksy with it, Joni Mitchell
Maru - She puts music on as background noise, primarily and listens to whatever is on. As a result she has an unassuming mainstream taste. She's also a member of the Bey-hive and starts anonymous fights on stan twitter over her
Penny - Kacey Musgraves