What languages do you speak?

Thanks! Yes, I considered it twice or so. As in university I had a fellow student who studied it and found it quite challenging as it depends on who is speaking and whom you are speaking to, the letters change, due to their position in the sentence (beginning, middle or end). We practiced a bit and the pronounciation was a bit tricky^^

Maybe when I am good in Korean and Polsih, I will consider learning it then! Do you still study it?
I do!

Multanox

Sodbuster
Russian is my native language, but im living in Germany since 2002 and speak fluently german, sometimes better than Russian (lol). Furthermore im speaking a little bit English and French.

Draggar

Greenhorn
I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!
(Corbin Dallas - The Fifth Element). :grin:

English and Español. I also used to know some Vietnamese (I dated a Vietnamese young lady for a couple of years a while back), sadly I've forgotten most of it but still have by love for Banh Xeo and Pho. :)

Gilleafrey

Sodbuster
English (American) and French (Canadienne and Parisienne, with some bits and pieces from the languedoc, from singing old music)
I played in a French clan for a few years in the game Vikings! but hadn't thought of playing Stardew in French until someone mentioned giving it a try in Spanish; sounds like fun, and I think I will—thanks for the suggestion!

DJModulo

Sodbuster
My native language is German, I would also consider myself fluent in English.

I also learned Latin during school, but forgot most of it; and learned to write Hebrew (I essentially have no vocabulary though).

English (fluent)
French (fluent)
Korean (elementary/ know how to read but bad in grammar and poor in vocabulary)
Can read German (elementary/ know grammar but poor in vocabulary)

I understand Spanish (in my ears for a weird reason)
Studied Latin (dead language but still useful) – memorized gladiator's Cesar speech text to get As...

Frenglish <---- Does it count?
Korenglish <---- that too??

🧠🧠🧠🧠 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪 *goes crazy / *brains explodes
Being a polyglot is a curse because there are too many things to learn...I thought I have millions of souls...

Last edited:

Quirinea

Farmer
My mother tongue is Finnish, I am fluent in English and Swedish and relatively fluent (can read literature, speaking "tourist level") German and French. Those languages I had at school.
I studied Ancient Near East, meaning Arabic, and a bunch of dead Semitic languages (Sumerian,Akkadian, Biblical Hebrew, Aramaic), some Latin and Classic Greek. Never learned Arabic so well I could actually use it, unfortunately (it is beautiful and rich language).I can read it, but slowly (Hebrew script goes a bit better and I took also some courses in Modern Hebrew
Then odds and ends on the way: Italian, Spanish and Portuguese on the tourist level, can read Cyrillic script but don't know Russian besides a few words (I worked making spellers for some Turcic languages -- written in Cyrillic!). Basic courses in umpteen languages, sadly mostly forgotten...
(and then I'm making fantasy languages, just as there were not enough of real ones in the world... 😈 )

I studied Ancient Near East, meaning Arabic, and a bunch of dead Semitic languages (Sumerian,Akkadian, Biblical Hebrew, Aramaic), some Latin and Classic Greek. Never learned Arabic so well I could actually use it, unfortunately (it is beautiful and rich language).I can read it, but slowly (Hebrew script goes a bit better and I took also some courses in Modern Hebrew
Are you a theologian student? Do you study Bible?

Quirinea

Farmer
Are you a theologian student? Do you study Bible?
Nope, (this is long ago, BTW, I've later switched to Computer Science and ), my main subject was Assyriology (cuneiform studies). I read a lot of Hebrew Bible "for laziness". I had "Semitic languages, general" as a side subject, and you could partly choose how much and what.Oh well. Bible. Several good translations available, specialized dictionaries that were not horribly expensive (as they were mass-produced for Theology students who then tried to read Hebrew from left to right (that was a running joke in the Dept. of Asian and African Studies)), so I could buy a dictionary and did not have to sit in the library.

Nope, (this is long ago, BTW, I've later switched to Computer Science and ), my main subject was Assyriology (cuneiform studies). I read a lot of Hebrew Bible "for laziness". I had "Semitic languages, general" as a side subject, and you could partly choose how much and what.Oh well. Bible. Several good translations available, specialized dictionaries that were not horribly expensive (as they were mass-produced for Theology students who then tried to read Hebrew from left to right (that was a running joke in the Dept. of Asian and African Studies)), so I could buy a dictionary and did not have to sit in the library.
You have an interesting background. That sounds like too much studying for one degree.