What languages do you speak?

Akemisora

Planter
I speak Indonesian (my country) and Javanese (my tribe). I can understand English pretty well, but my tongue isn't fluent at speaking. I can read Arabic if it has harakat. I also can read Japanese with simple to moderate kanji. I can write Korean, but don't understand the meaning nor can speak.

I'm French, so I speak French.
I learnt English at school, and I practice it a lot at home with my wife as a daily language.
I learnt Spanish at school, but I'm not very good at it.
I'm currently learning Chinese because my wife is Chinese. I'm not so good at it, but I still can speak/read a little.

I speak Indonesian (my country) and Javanese (my tribe). I can understand English pretty well, but my tongue isn't fluent at speaking. I can read Arabic if it has harakat. I also can read Japanese with simple to moderate kanji. I can write Korean, but don't understand the meaning nor can speak.
We're pretty much the same.

Kerosene

Tiller
English, Polish (native), moderate French and a tiny bit of Spanish, also I started learning Hindi, Sanskrit and Latin at univesity so in few years I hope I'll be able to say that I speak 6 languages. These three are difficult though so wish me luck!

Nekoruchii

Cowpoke
English and Filipino. I'm self learning German until I save enough to enroll myself on a class. A friend is teaching me basic Korean but we haven't progressed as both of us are really busy. .-.

Saraneth

Farmhand
English native. I can speak enough Japanese to get by, but I still struggle mightily to converse even after eight years of immersion and study. :cry: I used to know Spanish in grade school, but I've forgotten all of it. I miss it dearly. Would love to study more German as well, but for now I only know a few words.

Wuselding

Cowpoke
I cannot remember since when but I always LOVED foreign languages. As long as I can remember as soon as I could read letter, I always read aloud every single word on the ingredient lists from the food we bought, no matter which language and even I did not know how to pronounce it. :D

So no wonder when there was this video cassette with Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck where you could learn English, I was the first who wanted it. It was week for week I asked my Grandma for this cassette but at that time when I have been a child, in Germany it was not that common yet to learn a foreign language. My parents were difficult to convince to buy me the English textbooks I needed for school^^ (there is no sense in learning a foreign language, it is nonsense was the sentence my mum always said...)

So now here I am, absolutely crazy about languages^^ I learned English, French and Latin at school, in self study I learned Japanese and later on in university chinese. I tried Swedish for one year but I gave up. I just couldn't get a connection to the language, it was like... I dunno, I just could not like this language^^ Maybe it was because of those two teachers I had and who were not quite nice or fair. Later on, I started to learn Korean and Polish on my own. As I am living quite near to the dutch border, I only learned pieces of the language but I understand them quite well when they are speaking (or written Dutch). So as you might guess, I am speaking German as it is my mother tongue. Also, I speak the local dialect which is called "Masematte".^^

I cannot remember since when but I always LOVED foreign languages. As long as I can remember as soon as I could read letter, I always read aloud every single word on the ingredient lists from the food we bought, no matter which language and even I did not know how to pronounce it. :D

So no wonder when there was this video cassette with Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck where you could learn English, I was the first who wanted it. It was week for week I asked my Grandma for this cassette but at that time when I have been a child, in Germany it was not that common yet to learn a foreign language. My parents were difficult to convince to buy me the English textbooks I needed for school^^ (there is no sense in learning a foreign language, it is nonsense was the sentence my mum always said...)

So now here I am, absolutely crazy about languages^^ I learned English, French and Latin at school, in self study I learned Japanese and later on in university chinese. I tried Swedish for one year but I gave up. I just couldn't get a connection to the language, it was like... I dunno, I just could not like this language^^ Maybe it was because of those two teachers I had and who were not quite nice or fair. Later on, I started to learn Korean and Polish on my own. As I am living quite near to the dutch border, I only learned pieces of the language but I understand them quite well when they are speaking (or written Dutch). So as you might guess, I am speaking German as it is my mother tongue. Also, I speak the local dialect which is called "Masematte".^^
That's nice! Did you ever considered to learn Arabic? It's a really cool language! (From what I know. I'm not native with it)

Wuselding

Cowpoke
That's nice! Did you ever considered to learn Arabic? It's a really cool language! (From what I know. I'm not native with it)
Thanks! Yes, I considered it twice or so. As in university I had a fellow student who studied it and found it quite challenging as it depends on who is speaking and whom you are speaking to, the letters change, due to their position in the sentence (beginning, middle or end). We practiced a bit and the pronounciation was a bit tricky^^

Maybe when I am good in Korean and Polsih, I will consider learning it then! Do you still study it?