what kind of disasters have happened to you?

MogBeoulve

Farmer
Oh yeah, I was doing hard mode SC the other day. 11:30pm, got some nice loot, hit floor 100 and got the Qi gems. I died and was thinking "well, okay, if I don't lose anything too valuable I can just leave it and not reset the day". And it was a best luck day, so I figured I wouldn't lose too many items at least. This is what I lost:
View attachment 15696
Gave in, reset the day, and died again. That time it was at 9am and I'd barely made any progress, so of course I was going to reset the day no matter what I lost.
I lost absolutely nothing.
Note to self: Bring a phoenix ring to the dangerous skull cavern. I didn't know you could lose so much stuff.

Elenna101

Farmer
Note to self: Bring a phoenix ring to the dangerous skull cavern. I didn't know you could lose so much stuff.
Well you can lose that much stuff anytime you die, it's not specific to location as far as I know (although maybe you just meant that it's easier to die there, in which case, fair.) But you can get one item back from Marlon, and you can always restart the day if needed.
YMMV, I just don't personally feel a phoenix is worth taking up one of the very limited ring slots.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
I just opened the walnut room yesterday, so I'm guessing the dangerous versions are very deadly, yes. What's your preferred ring setup, then? I'm still hunting for an immunity band - planning on iridium band, crabshell ring, immunity band, and one other.

Edit: Just realized that I haven't been looking for my precious immunity band in the right place, so no wonder I have not found it. Sigh.

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
I just opened the walnut room yesterday, so I'm guessing the dangerous versions are very deadly, yes. What's your preferred ring setup, then? I'm still hunting for an immunity band - planning on iridium band, crabshell ring, immunity band, and one other.

Edit: Just realized that I haven't been looking for my precious immunity band in the right place, so no wonder I have not found it. Sigh.
I'd skip the crabshell. You don't need defense. You need more and better food and to pay attention. Nothing in the game can 1-shot you. Unless you're planning on completely ignoring monsters, then sure use the crabshell, but then you don't need the iridium band either.

I usually rock 2 iridium bands, one forged with a burglar ring and the other with a napalm ring. If I'm going to kill monsters, I want it done fast, I want explosions to make mining happen while I'm doing it, and I want as much loot as possible from monster drops. I'll also go with a crusader infinity blade forged with rubies.

Most of my failures and disasters involve bombs. Surprising, I know. I think the most terrifying was when I blew up an entire large shed full of starfruit wine. Ouch. Fortunately, I remembered that day resetting was a thing. Unfortunately, that was the last shed of 5 sheds at the time I had to fill up, and I had to repeat the whole tedious process of harvesting and filling up kegs. Again. Nowadays, my bombs stay firmly planted in an out-of-the-way chest.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
I'd skip the crabshell. You don't need defense. You need more and better food and to pay attention. Nothing in the game can 1-shot you. Unless you're planning on completely ignoring monsters, then sure use the crabshell, but then you don't need the iridium band either.
So here's where I admit that I don't have the reaction speed or multitasking ability to carry out the "best defense is a strong offense" strategy. I just get mobbed because I'm really terrible at killing enemies, and then I rage quit and go pet bunnies until I calm down. Ah well.

Elenna101

Farmer

I usually do two iridium, one burglar ring, and one savage ring. Sometimes I switch out the savage or one iridium for a napalm ring, because explosions are fun. Not on my current save, though, because it's got monsters on the farm at night and explosions are significantly less fun when they blow up your stuff.

Not sure what platform you're on but on PC I've trained myself to pause immediately if I'm feeling overwhelmed, which lets me look at my health and decide if I need to eat or attack while in peace. Then I can use the number hotkeys to switch to food or a weapon as needed. Then I can unpause and (if eating) quickly hit right click to eat, which pauses again. Because of all the pausing this gives me time to think and eat and yet not get attacked.
Also, if you bring a club with you, right-clicking will do an area-of-effect attack which knocks away all enemies around you for more breathing room. You can mash left click immediately after right-clicking (or the equivalent keys on other consoles) to get more hits on the AOE attack, making it by far the strongest attack in the game. But even if you're not getting many extra hits, knocking enemies away can still be super useful.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Oh yeah, I was doing hard mode SC the other day. 11:30pm, got some nice loot, hit floor 100 and got the Qi gems. I died and was thinking "well, okay, if I don't lose anything too valuable I can just leave it and not reset the day". And it was a best luck day, so I figured I wouldn't lose too many items at least. This is what I lost:
View attachment 15696
Gave in, reset the day, and died again. That time it was at 9am and I'd barely made any progress, so of course I was going to reset the day no matter what I lost.
I lost absolutely nothing.
Luck does some odd stuff, both in the game luck and irl luck.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
I usually do two iridium, one burglar ring, and one savage ring. Sometimes I switch out the savage or one iridium for a napalm ring, because explosions are fun. Not on my current save, though, because it's got monsters on the farm at night and explosions are significantly less fun when they blow up your stuff.

Not sure what platform you're on but on PC I've trained myself to pause immediately if I'm feeling overwhelmed, which lets me look at my health and decide if I need to eat or attack while in peace. Then I can use the number hotkeys to switch to food or a weapon as needed. Then I can unpause and (if eating) quickly hit right click to eat, which pauses again. Because of all the pausing this gives me time to think and eat and yet not get attacked.
Also, if you bring a club with you, right-clicking will do an area-of-effect attack which knocks away all enemies around you for more breathing room. You can mash left click immediately after right-clicking (or the equivalent keys on other consoles) to get more hits on the AOE attack, making it by far the strongest attack in the game. But even if you're not getting many extra hits, knocking enemies away can still be super useful.
I'm using a Switch lite, but I used to use an Xbox controller on the PC. Did you know some of the controls are reversed between the two? It took me three days to figure that out, and I still spam the wrong button a lot. Also, in all control styles, it's an awkward reach for the pause button, which makes it a little risky. I guess I wind up playing combat differently as a result.

Can you reassign buttons? Maybe if I swap inventory and crafting ... of course, then I have to relearn which button to smash ...

imnvs

Local Legend
So here's where I admit that I don't have the reaction speed or multitasking ability to carry out the "best defense is a strong offense" strategy. I just get mobbed because I'm really terrible at killing enemies, and then I rage quit and go pet bunnies until I calm down. Ah well.
Fair. That is typically my strategy in most games, and always has been. "Go big or go home" is another way my style of gaming tends to be described as.

I remember in Diablo II my ultimate build was a guided arrow/penetrating shot/crit build bow-azon. One guided arrow could hit someone up to 6 times and I could unleash dozens in your direction.

In Project Zomboid, another game I currently play, I die in the first few days most runs... and I've done lots. But there's those few times where going full aggro on the zombies around me pays off and I become a zombie killing machine. Evidence:

Screenshot 2023-04-06 073939.png

I do combat in SDV much the same, but it's not a playstyle that suits everyone, I know.

Lenora Rose

Farmer
Earlier today I entered SC w/o staircases, got the spiral floor setup (So the longest floor, and too early to craft a staircase with my in-hand stone) and had the mist show up that meant I was mobbed by about 10 serpents right away. Maybe a more skilled player could have found a moment to drink and elixir or eat some food, but I just never had time before I was down. Lost 9 items, including all my elixirs. AND when I got to the adventurer's guild, managed to misclick to retrieve a different item. I was *this* close to resetting the day...

MogBeoulve

Farmer
Earlier today I entered SC w/o staircases, got the spiral floor setup (So the longest floor, and too early to craft a staircase with my in-hand stone) and had the mist show up that meant I was mobbed by about 10 serpents right away. Maybe a more skilled player could have found a moment to drink and elixir or eat some food, but I just never had time before I was down. Lost 9 items, including all my elixirs. AND when I got to the adventurer's guild, managed to misclick to retrieve a different item. I was *this* close to resetting the day...
Ouch! Definitely take staircases with you next time. And I would have reset, no question. I won't for silly things like forgetting to harvest the ancient fruit - it can always wait another day - but dying in combat almost always results in me reloading the game. It's not even about losing stuff, I just grew up on games where dying meant you HAD to reload.

I just burned through most of my staircases clearing the dangerous regular mines, so now I'm back to doing anything and everything other than skull cavern runs while I duplicate more jade.

Rhiannon

Farmer
Ouch! Definitely take staircases with you next time. And I would have reset, no question. I won't for silly things like forgetting to harvest the ancient fruit - it can always wait another day - but dying in combat almost always results in me reloading the game. It's not even about losing stuff, I just grew up on games where dying meant you HAD to reload.

I just burned through most of my staircases clearing the dangerous regular mines, so now I'm back to doing anything and everything other than skull cavern runs while I duplicate more jade.
Same here on the automatic reload after a death. I was surprised the first time I died in SDV that it wasn't an option. It was like "Oh! I have to go buy my stuff back??" So now I just avoid dying at all costs. And if it happens, then "Exit to Title" thankyouverymuch.

Lenora Rose

Farmer
Same here on the automatic reload after a death. I was surprised the first time I died in SDV that it wasn't an option. It was like "Oh! I have to go buy my stuff back??" So now I just avoid dying at all costs. And if it happens, then "Exit to Title" thankyouverymuch.
I dunno. it's a me thing but I generally take my lumps as far as getting walloped in Skull Cavern. I wish on the regular that the item recovery service would let you get two things back, but I haven't reset just for getting my incompetent self beaten up again. And while I might have reset over also screwing up the Item recovery, I decided since was already walking around with a cool million g just sitting there, I could just support the dwarf's small business. I think I'd need to lose something like an infinity hammer to reset.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I dunno. it's a me thing but I generally take my lumps as far as getting walloped in Skull Cavern. I wish on the regular that the item recovery service would let you get two things back, but I haven't reset just for getting my incompetent self beaten up again. And while I might have reset over also screwing up the Item recovery, I decided since was already walking around with a cool million g just sitting there, I could just support the dwarf's small business. I think I'd need to lose something like an infinity hammer to reset.
For me taking the lumps in Skull Cavern was a perception thing. I wasn't clever enough to realize I could restart the day until arriving at the Forums here and someone mentioned, "why not just exit and restart the day?"

:lightbulb:

oooooOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!

:toothy:

I try not to abuse it but if I'm gonna be really mad at my Skull Cavern crud-run then for my own sanity, I will restart. I try not to though, and have been really good more recently about just eating a Gold Cheez whenever a Flying Serpent even appears on the screen.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Not at all a disaster, but I just reset the day because I made some choices in Haley’s 10-heart cut scene that caused a lot of NPC side-eye. I thought, well, that could have been a lot more fun… and it was, the second time around.
+1 I know exactly what you did as I did the same. BTW if you're gonna marry Haley, she's been the most entertaining one I've married. A total nut in all the best ways. :haley:

Rhiannon

Farmer
I recently started a new game for my YT channel which means money and items are VERY low. I died in the regular mine and lost my only sword, gems and 5,000 gold! That was a bit more than I could handle. I respect your game rules for yourself.