What first game mistakes did you do?

Rhiannon

Farmer
Oh my gosh. I feel SO much better about my early days of SDV. I have done most of the 60 previously posted items. Then I found the wiki and started over. The wiki became my best friend and worst enemy. I to this day don't do anything without checking the wiki first. I'm terrified of making any of the same mistakes I made all those years ago. At the same time, I hate that I rarely get surprised. But those "little mistakes" can be extremely costly down the road.

seemars

Farmhand
I started playing with my son and his wife, both relatively experienced, literally watching over my shoulder and talking me through it. Still, I made more than my fair share. Chief among them: I hoarded EVERYTHING. Which meant I couldn't buy ANYthing. When I finally realized my mistake, I sold everything I had; I think it was about 50,000g! Sheesh.

Hill Myna

Farmer
I started playing with my son and his wife, both relatively experienced, literally watching over my shoulder and talking me through it. Still, I made more than my fair share. Chief among them: I hoarded EVERYTHING. Which meant I couldn't buy ANYthing. When I finally realized my mistake, I sold everything I had; I think it was about 50,000g! Sheesh.
Haha, I'm guilty of hoarding everything in the early game, too!

Once I was ready to start decorating my farm (sometime Year 4), I moved all my Chests into a dedicated Shed (to save space).

"Why have I still got 6 silver-quality Parsnips? I haven't grown those for years!"
"I presume these gold-star Breams were kept as food for the Mines? But they're worth 500G!"
"Yay! Look what I found in this chest: a Chicken Statue!"

Definitely hoarded too much produce. Then I did not realise the value of kegs and preserves jars and just didn’t build enough.

By year 4 I realised all of this and that I needed to invest in a shed or two so I started over. I hated my horse’s name anyway.

That redo had some mistakes too but overall I’m pleased enough with my farm to keep going on it even if I will start a new game soon. I sold lots of horseradish that I now prefer to save for the seed maker for to trade them to the desert trader for winter seeds.
I kept a journal of my progress and mistakes so my next game will beat the mess out of it and I don’t have to stress about remembering tiny details. But still…
to this day don't do anything without checking the wiki first.
100%. And the value of a good companion app cannot be understated.

Rhiannon

Farmer
I kept a journal of my progress and mistakes so my next game will beat the mess out of it and I don’t have to stress about remembering tiny details. But still…

100%. And the value of a good companion app cannot be understated.
I bow to your detail of keeping a journal. That's incredible! I only keep notes of things I want to accomplish (deleting those I have) and animal names so I don't name two animals the same name. I bet your redo is incredible! I started a redo because I'm putting it on YouTube but I'm making a TON of mistakes. I think partially because there was too much time between restarts. Literally years. If I had been keeping notes, I might have looked a lot better on that redo. My hat is off to you!

I only keep notes of things I want to accomplish (deleting those I have) and animal names so I don't name two animals the same name. I bet your redo is incredible!
I didn’t plan on a formal journal, but I have an inability to throw away anything I write down. At first I just wanted to keep track of whether I had talked to Leah each day and when I gave her presents. My note taking compulsion got a bit out of control and it brings me such joy.

I’m only on day two of my redo (while using the notes from my second farm). It’s awesome but… something weird happened today:

9F662C4F-9B4C-4B53-A7EE-0A52FAD70FE2.jpeg

Willie is acting like this is totally normal. I wish Demetrius had been there to see it.

Lenora Rose

Farmer
I didn’t plan on a formal journal, but I have an inability to throw away anything I write down. At first I just wanted to keep track of whether I had talked to Leah each day and when I gave her presents. My note taking compulsion got a bit out of control and it brings me such joy.

I’m only on day two of my redo (while using the notes from my second farm). It’s awesome but… something weird happened today:

View attachment 11993
Willie is acting like this is totally normal. I wish Demetrius had been there to see it.
I think someone said your first fish is almost always a sunfish. I didn't think that applied to the sea...

At least it wasn't a carp.

Hill Myna

Farmer

Veracious

Tiller
Haha, I'm guilty of hoarding everything in the early game, too!

Once I was ready to start decorating my farm (sometime Year 4), I moved all my Chests into a dedicated Shed (to save space).

"Why have I still got 6 silver-quality Parsnips? I haven't grown those for years!"
"I presume these gold-star Breams were kept as food for the Mines? But they're worth 500G!"
"Yay! Look what I found in this chest: a Chicken Statue!"
Lol early game ha, I'm in year 9 (I think) and I'm still hording um everything - minimum of 10 of everything normal, silver, gold & iridium quality.
Why ?...well why not.

Rhiannon

Farmer
Lol early game ha, I'm in year 9 (I think) and I'm still hording um everything - minimum of 10 of everything normal, silver, gold & iridium quality.
Why ?...well why not.
Because sure as shootin', if you get rid of it, you will need it later! SDV has made hoarders of us all!

NullObjects

Tiller
I like to keep items as I view it as: I can always exchange the item for money later, but I can't exchange money to get that same item back. It's a one way conversion, so the item itself is worth more.

Exception is when I run out of space, so I just keep gold and iridium as needed.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Oof, I'm super late game and hoard waaaay too much, I think at one point I had more than 2.4 million items at once :o

I sold a good 2,000,000 of em' though and am now collecting even more, probably to surpass 3 million.