This is not fair

Thaddeus_

Sodbuster
I understand that Fector's Challenge is very controversial, and many people are frustrated by it. I knew it was very difficult when I put it in the game, that's why I made it a "hidden achievement". I have some regrets with the difficulty of it, but at the same time, part of the idea is that we can't all expect to achieve 100% of everything we want to, and it's okay to accept that and make peace with it. Another thing, is if I made it easier now, it would be unfair to the people who successfully unlocked that achievement in the past 4 years.

I am open to small improvements to Prairie King to make it more manageable. One example... in the new update we're making it so that you can save & continue Prairie King, so you can take a break and continue later (and also so that you can actually beat it in a multiplayer game where time continues during play)
Please! Keep things like this in the game. I have played wayyy too much dark souls for ridiculous achievements not existing in a game I love. Adversity is what makes people great.

I'll never forget the feeling of satisfaction I had when I got the golden clock (10mil gold for those who don't know) after like two weeks irl of growing and aging ancient fruit wine when I didn't have any homework to complete for college.

It is something that all games need: Something so far off on the horizon you'll always keep striving for it. It is why I have nearly 240 hours in SDV.
Your sense of ridiculous achievements pales in comparison to the amount of grinding I had to do for 30 of a 1% drop in DS3 to platinum the game. Might I mention this was a toxic swamp? And that toxic in all DS games deletes your health rapidly? And that the items to counter it aren't common? And that the enemies that drop this item can insta kill you with a move they do quite commonly? Am I beating a dead horse or am I talking about the achievement for rank 2 in watchdogs of farron?

But ohhhh the satisfaction when I got it.
Your achievements are NOT that bad in comparison to what is out there in other games!

Also, @sherpele ever heard of Any%? I mean if you can define "completing a game" as something like "having all achievements besides x and y" you can still complete the game. I'm friends with one of the better DS2 speedrunners IRL and he has never platinumed the game because there's one ridiculous achievement like the one I mentioned, but has "completed" the game in Any% probably like 50 times.

Saving and continuing the Prairie King minigame sounds interesting... Will Junimo Cart also get something similar?

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
I understand that Fector's Challenge is very controversial, and many people are frustrated by it. I knew it was very difficult when I put it in the game, that's why I made it a "hidden achievement". I have some regrets with the difficulty of it, but at the same time, part of the idea is that we can't all expect to achieve 100% of everything we want to, and it's okay to accept that and make peace with it. Another thing, is if I made it easier now, it would be unfair to the people who successfully unlocked that achievement in the past 4 years.

I am open to small improvements to Prairie King to make it more manageable. One example... in the new update we're making it so that you can save & continue Prairie King, so you can take a break and continue later (and also so that you can actually beat it in a multiplayer game where time continues during play)
Please, do leave the difficulty as it stands. I ask this not just because it's not fair to the folks that have already achieved it, but because when I achieve it, I want it to be that difficult. (I've gotten close, but so far, no dice.) Things like making it more manageable, like saving as you mentioned, would be great, but I actually want some achievements to be hard so that not everyone can just saunter to them.

Maw

Farmhand
Saving and continuing the Prairie King minigame sounds interesting... Will Junimo Cart also get something similar?
I'd also love a save or play from last level you left off on option for Junimo Cart. So much.

It is something that all games need: Something so far off on the horizon you'll always keep striving for it. It is why I have nearly 240 hours in SDV.
Dude, I have four farms with over 350 hours each! Agree that it feels great when you finish the Community Center or get the Return Scepter or all the buildings - all of it or why have I played it so much? :-) I've had the game since it first came out of Beta, tho. I will probably never get any of the acheivements related to the arcade games, though. I've been playing Junimo Kart for hours over the past week or two and I still can't make it out of Crumble Cavern most of the time.

Kurachi84

Planter
Old thread, but if it helps, here's my take on it:
I don't care about how others play it, goes for any game and mode, as whenever i play something hard and complete it, then see it made easier, and see people completing it that way, i still hold that pride of having it done the hard(er) way.
But also with completing something that has been made easier, which i just like to have done.
I don't compare my achievements with others, i just like what i do.
I cannot do fishing, the arcade games and many other things, even other games in general, due to brain damage holding me back a lot, not able to react in time, needing a break after every intense moment etc.

But even though i wanna complete many games i play, for 100%, i ignore the ones i don't like or can't do... like the Joja one, which i just don't like.
I always adjust such cases, like "oh well, 100% minus those things then", and continue playing how i like to play the games.
I basically started to live a "100% of what i like to do and can do" so playing games as good as i can.
This makes me happy, and i often go astray, and just try new stuff, and in SDV it's mostly about mods, screw around with them, see what i like to do, making many different characters with different goals etc.

You play for YOU, so have fun as much as you can with games(or anything else in life, for that matter).
People have been looking weird at me, but i can live with that. As long as i have fun in my own life, no?
I bought this game for my own relaxation, so i use mods that make it way less vanilla (timespeed, automate, combined girls mod, fishing mod that skips minigame and so on), and then i get my own goals whilst playing, and then do that, and that, and that etc.
I keep making the game my own game in ways that i enjoy.
I play randomizers of games, but i do it the way i want to, and try new settings a lot. Doing the same with mods and goals in the game.
Goals change sometimes, and so does my playstyle, so i can go back and forth with my ways of playing a lot.
More and more different mods come out, so like 2 years from now, i may be doing it way differently than what i do now.
When playing videogames, there's one rule(aside from "don't bother others"), and that's: Play how YOU like to.

Xavier

Newcomer
Hi developers! I wanted to tell you that I am quite unhappy with the way you developed the achievement list, since you put two practically impossible achievements, which have nothing to do with the original game, ruining the expectations of those players who want to complete the game. The criteria you selected seems inadequate to me and I think it is a lack of respect for players who love the game and are left with the frustration of not being able to finish it, because of an absurd achievement that has no reason to be. To be more specific I refer to the achievements "Fector's Challenge" and "Prairie King". We hope you will reconsider and change the difficulty of the mini-game or change the achievement requirements (delete them or change them to another goal). We hope there will be a solution for 1.5 or as soon as possible. Thank you very much.

edit.

Suggestion:

-Add an easy mode to the "Journey of the Prairie King" mini-game. This includes: increase initial lives, increase power-up spawn, lower enemy HP,, reduce enemy spawn, increase coin spawn.
With only 3 or 4 hours of practice it will be possible to achieve both.
I understand where you’re coming from with Vector’s Challenge, not really with just Jotpk, but that’s why it’s a secret challenge, As the other person said, their not a masochist, but I am, and I did it, and beating the game normally doesn’t take that much time. Completely understand just not doing Vector’s challenge. Even if you’re a completionist, not one can get every achievement on every game they play. I’ve been attempting P5 all bindings in Hollow Knight for years, and still haven’t gotten it, my point is that if it’s too hard for you, then don’t do it. It’s not like someone’s gonna do something if you don’t have all achievement in this game. And if you’re talking about the achievement points on Xbox, the solution is to play another game to get more. And if you really want to do it so bad, you can save and quit through it all to get the achievement. I just realized I wasted my time doing vector’s challenge since I don’t think that’s a thing on switch… Well there goes my whole week for nothing

I will say the argument about the people who have the achievement will be cheated is kinda a smoke screen especially since there is a guide to manually trigger the achievements here

The whole festers thing though isn't that bad. I mean I achieved out on neir automata before I found out about the achievement vendor. If you purchase neir you have to play an twin stick shooter at the beginning that if you die you have to start all over again. Was I expecting this in an rpg no. Did I like it no. Did I feel like I accomplished something by beating the full game including the CEO and other hidden bosses Yep.

So while I do understand an achievement being to hard or somebeing impossible (play with a gearbox/rockstar employee or crossplay with windows from 360) they shouldn't be your driving point but merely a springboard for playstyles or goals to overcome. At the same time developers have a responsibility to not abuse the player base putting in achievements that essentially troll players like rock band 2 and their bladder of steel which required you to play 84 songs straight and assuming each song is 3 mins then that turns to 4 hours you cannot pause the game, eat drink or anything else but give yourself a repetitive motion injury no that's an unfair achievement.