1.6 Update The new event

dexopaw

Greenhorn
I have a lot of maple trees on my farm, and on the first day of fall (well after the green rain in the summer has come and gone) a bunch of my trees transformed into green rain trees with no leaves, the kind with completely straight branches. I really do not enjoy having to chop these invaders down and replant them as maples.

Attachments

How many times has green rain happened during summer for you guys? It has only happened once to me by the end of summer. I was tying to farm moss and fiber as much as I could but the whole day was definitely not enough for me lol
It happened to me literally yesterday. Man I didn't know what is is. I was scared, so did Jes and Alex.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I have a lot of maple trees on my farm, and on the first day of fall (well after the green rain in the summer has come and gone) a bunch of my trees transformed into green rain trees with no leaves, the kind with completely straight branches. I really do not enjoy having to chop these invaders down and replant them as maples.
Did they they change back into your regular trees after the original Green Rain?

dexopaw

Greenhorn
Did they they change back into your regular trees after the original Green Rain?
All the trees on my farm that turned into green rain trees during the green rain changed back the next day, thankfully. These are trees that were all maples the night of Day 28 of Summer, and turned into leafless green rain trees on Day 1 of Fall.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I just don't have enough planted Trees on my farm to track this specifically as I cut down most that weren't Oak but I did see a number of Trees in Town in Fall that look like what happened to your Maples. I think maybe that's supposed to happen to Trees only on the rest of the Town maps and it bugged out for you? Just a guess though.

dexopaw

Greenhorn
I just don't have enough planted Trees on my farm to track this specifically as I cut down most that weren't Oak but I did see a number of Trees in Town in Fall that look like what happened to your Maples. I think maybe that's supposed to happen to Trees only on the rest of the Town maps and it bugged out for you? Just a guess though.
I hope it's a bug, and hopefully by describing what happened to me someone will be able to find it and fix it. Spending a lot of time and effort and resources building a farm only to have things randomly change is a bit frustrating. The timing also doesn't help, I'm not sure the seeds I plant now will grow into fully mature trees before winter hits.

VampireCake

Rancher
Happening to me too. They're fine after the green rain for the rest of summer - well except tappers stop working and you have to remove and replace them for them to start again. Autumn rolls around... random bare wild trees. I've even gotten mossy seeds when cutting them down. I'm still not sure if this is the 'trees sometimes lose leaves in autumn' feature mentioned in the update that's somehow buggy or just a random different bug altogether. I really hope it's not what was intended, I'm not a fan. I feel bad saying that as there's really only a very few things I dislike in the game but the bare wild trees are one of them, even if the behaviour is a bug. And how they look really wouldn't bother me if it didn't keep popping up on my farm. :/

SCLPTURES

Farmhand
i've only had it once so far and it was exciting and pretty funny seeing everyone's reaction! i'd love to make the most of it next time, i didn't explore much throughout it

Ereo

Helper
I read somewhere that this is supposed to happen, untapped normal trees can turn into green rain trees in fall, but should revert back to normal in spring. My save is still in fall so I can’t verify it yet. But I also did have some trees turning into green rain trees 1. Day of fall.

SCLPTURES

Farmhand
Same. Some of my trees I can't replant without moving buildings, and I have a pretty packed farm so there's not much space to move them to. And I swear one maple I replanted turned back into the bare wild tree again. Not to mention tappers stop working.

I didn't mind the green rain event itself, it was fun to see the town all overgrown, but pls leave my maples alone. And I like the addition of moss as a resource, I'd just really appreciate an option to keep it off my farm. Yes you can cut it down, but it grows back rather fast. (I posted in the suggestions forum about having more options for the golden clock which would include this, also spouse randomly changing flooring or wallpaper which has been a pet peeve of mine for ages... Emily why have you put red brick flooring in our dark blue themed bedroom, argh. :unamused:
i'd also love an option to disable moss cause i just collect a bunch and end up having no clue what to do with it.

i DEFINITELY need an option to disable spouses changing floor/wallpaper... at least with furniture you can move it, but if you don't have the catalogue or bought something exclusively from pierre's, then it's so frustrating. i have to admit though, it does give me a laugh when they change something around the house and just stand there contemplating their action

VampireCake

Rancher
i'd also love an option to disable moss cause i just collect a bunch and end up having no clue what to do with it.

i DEFINITELY need an option to disable spouses changing floor/wallpaper... at least with furniture you can move it, but if you don't have the catalogue or bought something exclusively from pierre's, then it's so frustrating. i have to admit though, it does give me a laugh when they change something around the house and just stand there contemplating their action
As of patch 1.6.4, using vinegar on a tree will prevent moss. Now I just either need an update or a mod to get rid of the wild trees. I chopped down several and replanted maples with tree fertilizer, and *one day* after they've fully grown they've changed *again*, both tapped and untapped trees. I'm really starting to hate them now.

ArthurManenti

Farmhand
I liked the new event. It only happens once per summer though, and the date is random, so it holds off your ability to craft moss required items in year 1 until it happens (which can occur even in the last week of summer)
But I liked it.

The trees that turn into mossy trees on the day of the event will be regular trees the next day
I think it's the moss over time that's turning your trees into mossy (leafless) trees
I think it happened to some of mine
Now, like the farmer above me said, you can apply vinegar to prevent moss from ever forming on a tree
And you can make vinegar from rice

Last edited:

SCLPTURES

Farmhand
As of patch 1.6.4, using vinegar on a tree will prevent moss. Now I just either need an update or a mod to get rid of the wild trees. I chopped down several and replanted maples with tree fertilizer, and *one day* after they've fully grown they've changed *again*, both tapped and untapped trees. I'm really starting to hate them now.
ur telling me i have to use vinegar on EVERY tree?? 😭 my farm is practically just a forest now so it's jam packed with trees. i'm trying to clear some space, but the moss problem persists. definitely more helpful if the chance was lower

VampireCake

Rancher
ur telling me i have to use vinegar on EVERY tree?? 😭 my farm is practically just a forest now so it's jam packed with trees. i'm trying to clear some space, but the moss problem persists. definitely more helpful if the chance was lower
Yeah. Seems like you only have to do each tree once though.. at least vingear is plentiful, you can stuff rice in a keg to make your own or buy it from Pierre. I do agree a bit of reducing the spawn rate wouldn't hurt, though. I mean we live next to a forest and there's trees all over town, we're not short of places for moss to grow. 😆

Lew Zealand

Helper
Is that new? 😯 I didn't know about it.

But just out of curiosity: why does the moss on the trees bother you guys? It doesn't do any harm and I think it looks quite pretty.
It might not be the Moss (which I feel a primal urge to Scythe down) but the physical changes to the Trees, like in dexopaws' attachment above. That's a pretty big change if you're using the original Tree shape for your farm design, and it appears to be a game bug as I've seen it mentioned on Reddit too.

It might not be the Moss (which I feel a primal urge to Scythe down) ...
HAHAHA! I'm like you, and I am fighting this urge with all my strength. New Year's resolution: I will no longer scythe down any moss! I will NOT! 😅

but the physical changes to the Trees, like in dexopaws' attachment above. That's a pretty big change if you're using the original Tree shape for your farm design, and it appears to be a game bug as I've seen it mentioned on Reddit too.
Oh, I see - you mean this straight kind of mossy trees, not the normal moss-covered trees?