1.6 Update The new event

it is pretty, but when i try to cut down trees it fills an inventory slot full of moss that i never even use for anything, it's a bit annoying if you don't have a big backpack or don't have enough space
I understand. It's a thing in the first year mainly, as long as you're running around with the 12- or 24-slot backpack, right?
But that's the case with everything - at some point the backpack is full and no more bets please. I then leave the stuff behind and maybe come back later. (can't even count the items I had to leave in the mines ... even the Deluxe Pack manages to be too small at times)

But speaking of the Green Rain generally - I see that many people don't like it at all. What I like about it is (paradoxically) that it makes the game a bit more life-like. You've planned everything so nicely, you worked really hard, everything is going perfectly - and bang! life throws you a spanner in the works. I had that whole last year round. Just as everything was running like clockwork again, the roofers flooded my studio. A hell of a lot of extra work, a hell of a lot of cramped living space, and that for six months. Good thing you didn't hear me swearing. Well, I can't tell the roofers (or life) to change the rules of the game, you have to see it through.

I like to use such throwbacks in the game as a kind of training for reality - just as children learn to cope with difficulties through play. But that's just me, an incurable child I guess.

Yvi

Sodbuster
Ok, I have a bunch of tress in on my farm, both tapped and un-tapped, and I just had a green rain event so I decided to take during and after pictures to compare tree changes.

• Only Oak and Maple trees seemed to change. All of the Pine, Mystic, Mahogany, Fruit, Tea, and existing Wild/Mossy trees stayed the same.
  • All the Oak and Maple trees I planted changed back the next day.
  • Tapped vs untapped did not seem to make a difference.
I do not know if there is a difference between naturally appearing trees / ones that come with the farm vs ones planted/grown after farm creation, because I do not think I have any original trees still growing.

If I remember, I will take another screenshot in a game week or two to see if any trees switch back to mossy trees at a later point.

None of my trees are covered in vinegar so no data to that effect.

I hope these observations are helpful to anyone!

Attachments

VampireCake

Rancher
I understand. It's a thing in the first year mainly, as long as you're running around with the 12- or 24-slot backpack, right?
But that's the case with everything - at some point the backpack is full and no more bets please. I then leave the stuff behind and maybe come back later. (can't even count the items I had to leave in the mines ... even the Deluxe Pack manages to be too small at times)

But speaking of the Green Rain generally - I see that many people don't like it at all. What I like about it is (paradoxically) that it makes the game a bit more life-like. You've planned everything so nicely, you worked really hard, everything is going perfectly - and bang! life throws you a spanner in the works. I had that whole last year round. Just as everything was running like clockwork again, the roofers flooded my studio. A hell of a lot of extra work, a hell of a lot of cramped living space, and that for six months. Good thing you didn't hear me swearing. Well, I can't tell the roofers (or life) to change the rules of the game, you have to see it through.

I like to use such throwbacks in the game as a kind of training for reality - just as children learn to cope with difficulties through play. But that's just me, an incurable child I guess.
Fair points and I respect your position. :cool:

I've spent approximately the last decade dealing with real-life spanners, a lot of them very large. I just like having somewhere I'm actually in control since I have so little anywhere else. I'm also autistic with ADHD, I hate change I have no input in. It might only be some trees in a game but I'm here to get away from that stuff. I'm also old enough I don't think I need any more training for real life. XD

Last edited:

dexopaw

Greenhorn
I have a lot of maple trees on my farm, and on the first day of fall (well after the green rain in the summer has come and gone) a bunch of my trees transformed into green rain trees with no leaves, the kind with completely straight branches. I really do not enjoy having to chop these invaders down and replant them as maples.
A bit of an update: my trees turning into the leafless green rain trees didn't just happen on the first of fall, it kept happening throughout the season, but stopped once fall was over. It also transformed trees in other areas (the forest, mountain, etc), so it wasn't just localized to my farm either.

I did see people posting in this thread about vinegar preventing moss, so I sprayed all my trees and it did indeed prevent moss from forming on them. However, it did not prevent them from turning into a green rain tree during the green rain event (I'm not surprised about that) but it also didn't prevent them from once again turning into leafless green rain trees when the first of fall came around again.

Now that I know it's going to happen, I've just resigned myself to the fact that I'm gonna have to chop down and replant some of my trees every fall, but it would be really nice if there was *some* way to prevent it from happening.

Last edited:

dexopaw

Greenhorn

I get this, and in some ways it makes sense - a sap farm is basically a money-making machine that requires zero work beyond setting it up, just collect your sap/syrup every so often and it's free money. It's why I decided to make one, honestly. So maybe the game makers feel like you should have to put in a little ongoing work to keep things running smoothly.

I just don't like that it takes the form of my trees transforming into another kind of tree. I would honestly prefer it if they just died, at least that feels natural. There's something unsettling to me about a living thing just turning into something else. (Yes, I also don't like it when trees turn into giant mushrooms, thank goodness that's a pretty rare event)

Yvi

Sodbuster
Update! It's the last day of fall.
I will take another screenshot in a game week or two to see if any trees switch back to mossy trees at a later point.
I didn't mean to wait a season and a half, but oh well! I have noticed something. The trees I planted on purpose have stayed what I planted them as, while the trees that spread from the ones I planted have a high chance of getting turned. I suspect the difference is Tree Fertilizer. I fertilized all the seeds I planted on purpose - the ones in neat rows with tappers on them. None of those have switched to green rain trees. So my working hypothesis is that trees grown from fertilized seeds cannot be turned into green rain trees.

Attachments