Solved Suspected 1.5.1 Bug: Dwarf Scroll II

MichaelOChurch

Greenhorn
This may or may not be a bug.

I've gotten at least six Dwarf Scroll III's, but no Dwarf Scroll II in my 1.5.1 playthrough. Some of these Dwarf Scroll III drops come from the blue slimes (e.g., in the Secret Forest in Winter) and I believe (based on the Wiki) those are supposed to drop Dwarf Scroll II (which, in my understanding, is also supposed to be the usual Dwarf Scroll to get in the ice levels of the mines). What I suspect has happened is that many Dwarf Scroll II drops have become Dwarf Scroll III instead, making the former harder to attain.

Of course, if that was a deliberate change, please ignore this report.

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
Unfortunately, I believe you're just really unlucky. As of the most recent patch, I've found all four Dwarf Scrolls, so it's definitely still possible to find Dwarf Scroll II. Blue slimes are capable of dropping both Dwarf Scrolls III and II, but it's more common for them to drop Dwarf Scroll III. Aside from them, dust sprites can drop Dwarf Scroll II between levels 40 and 79, frost bats can drop it between levels 40 and 65, and ghosts can drop it. It can also be found by tilling in the mine soil before level 40. I'd recommend waiting on a good luck day, slaying the right monsters in the right levels, or tilling in the right levels. If you have the burglar's ring, it also can't hurt to put it on. Hopefully this is able to help you find it! Good luck!

MichaelOChurch

Greenhorn
After more play, I think you're right.

I was able to find Dwarf Scroll II, but by hoeing. It did seem that the probabilities are different, but without looking at code, that's nothing more than a hunch.

Odin

Staff member
I'm going to mark this thread as solved for now, as the Dwarf Scrolls are tough artifacts for people to get. I'll keep an eye on the thread though, in case anyone has additional details.

ewiggy

Greenhorn
Reviving this thread as I'm having the same issue.

Currently on year 3? or so of casually mining. Realized I needed Dwarf Scroll II, so I've been solely focusing on that for at least a week. I'm cycling mines levels 40-60, killing monsters, tilling, breaking rocks, etc etc. On my current mine run I have gotten Dwarf Scroll III *four times*. What in the world.

I have 110 hours on this farm in general, how is it possible I haven't found this thing? Helppppp.

Edit: to add that I'm doing all of this on good luck days, eating Spicy Eel, and wearing a +1 Luck ring (I forget which, it's a combined one).

Last edited:

chomwitt

Sodbuster
I do have problem finding dwarf scroll 2 . And the strange is that being in year 7 with a galaxy sword, feel like the past getting revenge on me.... 10 times so far wandering in levels 40-70 , digging ,killing but nada...

chomwitt

Sodbuster
I wonder , does luck affect the chance to find a scroll...?
And in multiplayer do all player share the same luck or each one has his her own?

imnvs

Local Legend
I've been having a similar problem, but with the dwarf scroll IV
To be fair, IV should be the harder one to find. There's only a .1% drop rate for monsters that drop it (which is most), while the rest have a .5% drop rate.

My recommendations?

If you're short DS-I, hunt mine levels 1-39.

If you're short DS-II, hunt mine levels 41-79.

If you're short DS-III, hunt mine levels 81-119.

If you're short DS-IV, well... just keep hunting the mines.

benjellyman

Planter
To be fair, IV should be the harder one to find. There's only a .1% drop rate for monsters that drop it (which is most), while the rest have a .5% drop rate.

My recommendations?

If you're short DS-I, hunt mine levels 1-39.

If you're short DS-II, hunt mine levels 41-79.

If you're short DS-III, hunt mine levels 81-119.

If you're short DS-IV, well... just keep hunting the mines.
Should I mention that I'm on year four, and I mine like a lot? and I still haven't found it...
I have found all the others at least thrice each. Like two and one I found like five times.

imnvs

Local Legend
Should I mention that I'm on year four, and I mine like a lot? and I still haven't found it...
I have found all the others at least thrice each. Like two and one I found like five times.
I get it, seriously. I am not unfamiliar with it taking forever to find a particular one of the scrolls. I know it's frustrating. That's just what I've found to improve chances. That's all.

benjellyman

Planter
I get it, seriously. I am not unfamiliar with it taking forever to find a particular one of the scrolls. I know it's frustrating. That's just what I've found to improve chances. That's all.
Ok, that's cool. So I guess I am unlucky, and the most I can do is keep searching and cram ice cream down dwarfs throat whether I understand him or not.

BlaDe

Farmer
I suspect all these dwarf scroll IIIs are coming from Frost Jellies, which have a 1.5% chance to drop III but only a 0.5% chance to drop II.

Geoman265

Tiller
On my first (proper) playthrough of the game (on xbox), I was struggling to find the dwarf scroll II, although my brother did find one eventually. We both have gotten plenty of IIIs though.

Also, bit of an unrelated note, but on my most recent playthrough with my dad, I ended up getting a dwarf scroll IV before getting any other artifact. Hope that means I get lucky with the other scrolls.

chomwitt

Sodbuster
Ok! phew.. i found it. I found a level full of dust spites and frost bat and also my tv said it was a lucky day (although not sure if that helps) . in my case level 63 was the lucky one . Also i realized that digging wouldnt help me ..

imnvs

Local Legend
Ok! phew.. i found it. I found a level full of dust spites and frost bat and also my tv said it was a lucky day (although not sure if that helps) . in my case level 63 was the lucky one . Also i realized that digging wouldnt help me ..
Yeah, well, digging doesn't work for DS-III at all, but for the rest it's a hit or miss shot. There's a lot of random chance involved. There are lots of possibilities, and that muddies the chances for you to get any one particular item.