Strategy for who you marry

PookieDoodle

Rancher
I'm so sorry to hear about you husband. It is funny how much we use something as simple as a game as a coping mechanism. I used it when my dog was suddenly diagnosed with cancer and had to be put down. I use it to escape from the real world because my real world is really hard to face sometimes (as I assume yours is too) so it's nice to pretend that it's normal and happy for a while.
Thank you. It's been incredibly helpful for me to just pass the time away planting seeds, picking flowers, etc. We all need an escape mechanism and this game is mine. 🌸

Swartzki

Tiller
That's how I feel. And like I said before, I could change the way my character looks and acts with just a few clicks, but then I'd be the one that was fake. I know it's just a cute little game, but in an odd way it does make you analyze yourself. And for me, it even helps me cope with a loss. My husband of 28 years died suddenly in January. Since then, I've really escaped through this game. It helps me feel productive when I don't. I even made a little memorial for him in the fenced off patch next to the Community Center.
honestly this game is great to help cope. I have been having some health issues, and dealing with chronic anxiety that comes with my issues, and this game has gotten me through. I am so sorry to read about your loss, but I am so glad that you have found ways to make it through.

Ereo

Helper
Wow, I use the same strategy with different looking Farmers and my first 4 spouses match 3 of yours and in the same order, too. <insert Twilight Zone music here> Only difference is I chose Maru as 3rd but guess what, Elliot is gonna be #5.
Funny! I like Maru too, that robot is awesome! I just don't know what farm she would be most happy on. Maybe she doesn't mind as long as she gets to tinker.
She could build robots to do the farm chores. Maybe a hilltop farm and I could build her an astronomers station on the hill?

I've avoiding marrying a character so far but soon I probably will. I didn't want to contend with walking paths on the farm and things potentially going missing (I read in my early game that someone lost their statue of perfection because their spouse walked over it 😱) so I avoided it at first (even though they probably got it back by revisiting grandpa's shrine) lol. I figure I'll probably pick Sebastian as first spouse, it is the funky hair, the programming work, and the needing time alone to balance out social stuff [introverted, independent, thoughtful, capable (he was working on a motorbike) and a nerd, since these also describe me].

Elliot makes me laugh, he kinda looks like Fabio lol, I have a hard time taking him seriously as a candidate for some reason. In the end after enough farm and character creation I'll probably cycle through all characters. Would be interesting to see how the different characters act as contrasted against one another.

Last edited:

Ereo

Helper
I've avoiding marrying a character so far but soon I probably will. I didn't want to contend with walking paths on the farm and things potentially going missing (I read in my early game that someone lost their statue of perfection because their spouse walked over it 😱) so I avoided it at first (even though they probably got it back by revisiting grandpa's shrine) lol. I figure I'll probably pick Sebastian as first spouse, it is the funky hair, the programming work, and the needing time alone to balance out social stuff [introverted, independent, thoughtful, capable (he was working on a motorbike) and a nerd, since these also describe me].

Elliot makes me laugh, he kinda looks like Fabio lol, I have a hard time taking him seriously as a candidate for that reason lol. In the end after enough farm and character creation I'll probably cycle through all of them if I play long enough.
Don't worry, spouses will not walk on your farm and they don't destroy things in the farmhouse. They might complain that you never clean if stuff was in their path.

Stuff only gets destroyed by villagers off your farm

Don't worry, spouses will not walk on your farm and they don't destroy things in the farmhouse. They might complain that you never clean if stuff was in their path.

Stuff only gets destroyed by villagers off your farm
Yeah, didn’t take me long to realize that. I should have clarified that the "keeping them happy" part was the other part that I didn’t want to contend with on my first run through, yet lol. If mobile had the update, and I didn’t have to pet animals still, then this would be less of an issue, but petting animals in the morning is already a bit of a time goblin. I guess more than anything I was thinking I didn’t want any added time/activity complications just yet lol.

Last edited:

Ereo

Helper
I just talk to them when I pass them in the morning. Not every day, because sometimes they are not in my way. Haven't run into problems with low hearts with that strategy.

As for animals, I try to pet them every day in the beginning, but as soon as they have higher hearts, it goes down to 'if they're in my way'. I don't pet dinos, rabbits, void chickens or ducks because I make mayo or cloths out of their products and the quality doesn't matter.

My animals all go outside in summer, that's enough to keep them happy at high hearts and it will slowly increase hearts even if you don't pet them.

Rhiannon

Farmer
I suppose it doesn't surprise me at the varied responses on this thread. I mean we are all varied from one another. It's just nice that we have a game that lets us express that however we want.

As for me, I've only got two saves and it's likely to stay that way. First time was a river farm and I found that to be a major stumbling block to what I wanted to accomplish with my farm. I married Alex on that one. No particular reason. I had a couple of guys in mind and things seemed easier with him. On the second try, I used the standard farm which much more easily let me get my farm how I wanted it. I'm mid year 8 and very happy with how things are going. I chose Harvey this time for a couple of reasons: NO ONE on these type threads had mentioned marrying him and secondly because he wears glasses. And he reminds me of a senior which I am.

benjellyman

Planter
So here is how I view all the bachelors/bachelorettes:
Shane: some poor guy that gets drunk because he's depressed, but inwardly, he has some good in him
Elliot:I don't know him well but he is like a one with the nature dude
Harvey: don't know him much either, but seems like a nice doc
Sam: kinda interesting, not a whole lot to him. (but he can play some good music)
Sebstian: don't know him much, but seems like a bad boy imo
Alex: cool dude, tough backstory, tho.
Emily: friendly person, kinda a hippie tho
Penny: shy, put after knowing her, she is very nice
Abigail: er, kinda a I can do it myself person, sorta rebel, but still friendly
Haley: a little closed off at first, but she's nice after a little
Leah: don't know her that well, but she's artistic
Maru: smart, scientisty, although I don't know her well

These are how I view them, but who knows? They might seem different to you

PookieDoodle

Rancher
I just talk to them when I pass them in the morning. Not every day, because sometimes they are not in my way. Haven't run into problems with low hearts with that strategy.

As for animals, I try to pet them every day in the beginning, but as soon as they have higher hearts, it goes down to 'if they're in my way'. I don't pet dinos, rabbits, void chickens or ducks because I make mayo or cloths out of their products and the quality doesn't matter.

My animals all go outside in summer, that's enough to keep them happy at high hearts and it will slowly increase hearts even if you don't pet them.
I was wondering about the chicken and ducks. Sometimes I'll produce gold and even iridium star mayo. That has nothing to do if I pet them or not?

PookieDoodle

Rancher

Elliot makes me laugh, he kinda looks like Fabio lol, I have a hard time taking him seriously as a candidate for some reason. In the end after enough farm and character creation I'll probably cycle through all characters. Would be interesting to see how the different characters act as contrasted against one another.
Elliot makes me laugh too. He does come off as shallow, telling me he spends several hours a day brushing his hair. But that's mostly because he's isolated yet wants companionship. Then, after you get more acquainted you figure out he's a lot deeper than he comes off in the beginning. I'd like to know more about his past and why he chose to be a writer. Especially since it doesn't appear he's very successful at it.

Ereo

Helper
I was wondering about the chicken and ducks. Sometimes I'll produce gold and even iridium star mayo. That has nothing to do if I pet them or not?
Duck mayo always has the same quality. Same goes for void chickens and Dinos.
Chicken mayo is normal for small eggs and gold for big ones.
1.5 update spoiler: ostrich mayo is the same quality as the egg

benjellyman

Planter
Duck mayo always has the same quality. Same goes for void chickens and Dinos.
Chicken mayo is normal for small eggs and gold for big ones.
1.5 update spoiler: ostrich mayo is the same quality as the egg
Uh yeah, btw your supposed to say spoiler before you tell what it has.

PookieDoodle

Rancher
I like picking different ones depending on what I want to do that playthrough - and sometimes none at all. Sometimes I think I have my mind made up when I start the game, but then one dialogue at just the right time will steer me elsewhere (even if I've already seen it before, time/circumstance does make the difference!)

Sometimes it's just fun to dedicate yourself to having someone at four hearts for the first flower dance (something I typically ignore when I just want to farm-focus)

It helps if you develop a sort of backstory/frame of reference for who you character is or what they are meant to be doing, else if you don't they tend to revert to blank slate and being a general self-reflection of the player more directly (though imo, there's always at least a little of that even when you go out of your way to try to be different)
I totally agree. Even though what the NPC's say to you is predetermined, when they say it to you is not. Like I said before that's how I chose Sebby last time. I was gathering wood by the mountain lake and he was there. I clicked on him just to get a check mark for conversing with him. He said he really liked my hair. And it brought me back to being a teenage girl. Made me smile. That's what's great about this game, out of the blue it can be so random.

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
I have to make a different character to marry a different spouse, but so far I've failed on that, haha. I have other farmer files for Alex and Penny, but I just usually play my files with Sebastian...

It's definitely personal preference for me, and just feeling immense guilt if I try to court someone else since I know where my heart is

PookieDoodle

Rancher
I have to make a different character to marry a different spouse, but so far I've failed on that, haha. I have other farmer files for Alex and Penny, but I just usually play my files with Sebastian...

It's definitely personal preference for me, and just feeling immense guilt if I try to court someone else since I know where my heart is
Same. I've had several farmers marry other NPC's but it only feels right when I marry Sebastian. I thought it was because, personally, he reminds me of my late husband. But in truth, I think he's the favored choice.

churchofkira

Greenhorn
I’m new to the forums (and to the game, been playing about 2 months). I have two players right now. On my first farm I chose Sebastian because he kind of reminds me of L from Death Note and it’s one of my favorite shows. I actually just divorced him after being married a few years because I wanted to explore other options and experience some other characters’ 14 heart events. I just recently got married to Sam. I already feel terrible for breaking Sebastian’s heart so I plan to erase his memory and remarry him at some point.
On my second farm I chose Shane. I kinda dig the whole enemies to lovers trope and he really seems hateful at first but once you get to know him he’s so sweet. I’m not a huge fan of the way he looks so I might dump him soon and go for someone else but I’m more into playing the character on my main farm so who knows.

Cuusardo

Farmer
I started out with Abigail on my first farm because she was the one I found most interesting. Then I started marrying the others in other farms, and who I marry usually depends on the farm I'm playing. Like I specifically chose Sebastian for the wilderness farm because he's an introvert. I went with Emily for my hilltop farm because my farmer looks like Toki Wartooth and to me she seems like the one he'd be into. I married Hayley on my beach farm because she loves the beach. I'm going to marry Elliot on my forest farm because he loves the forest.

I also have a tendency to decorate my farm and house in a way that I think the spouse would feel most at home. My beach farm is the most cutesy because Hayley thinks that the farm should be cute, my wilderness farm is more dark and gothy, etc.

Boo1972

Farmer
I started out with Abigail on my first farm because she was the one I found most interesting. Then I started marrying the others in other farms, and who I marry usually depends on the farm I'm playing. Like I specifically chose Sebastian for the wilderness farm because he's an introvert. I went with Emily for my hilltop farm because my farmer looks like Toki Wartooth and to me she seems like the one he'd be into. I married Hayley on my beach farm because she loves the beach. I'm going to marry Elliot on my forest farm because he loves the forest.

I also have a tendency to decorate my farm and house in a way that I think the spouse would feel most at home. My beach farm is the most cutesy because Hayley thinks that the farm should be cute, my wilderness farm is more dark and gothy, etc.
I also attempt to take my spouse’s personality into account when I decorate. The farm with Elliot has richer colors- forest green and reds. I swear it doesn’t look like Christmas. The farm with Sam is brighter and lighter.

I try to match the farm with my planned future spouse but it never works. My farmers tend to fall in love with whomever they please. I have a farm set up for Abigail. The plan was to raise slimes and pumpkins and go all out for spirit’s eve. Nope. He ended up with Penny and all my plans had to be changed.

Haley will definitely be a beach farm- I mean, it’s obvious.

Jocea Rose

Greenhorn
I am married to Harvey and we have 2 children, Harmony and Harrison.
Harvey is just the most sweetest, loving and loyal guy anyone could ask for.
Often overlooked for being one of the more mature bachelors, which is such a shame. Harvey as a middle aged guy, fits with me as person in real life. All Harvey wants is to be loved and have a family deep down. The cutscenes with him get better each time and
there is a very special one, where he faces his fears for you.
:harvey:
For my next playthrough, I am thinking of Shane as the next romance, he is another totally misunderstood guy.