Starting Items acording to the Farm Map

This feature would make me focus on each farm skill in early game

• Total voters

Heramegu

Greenhorn
The new Farm "Meadowsland Farm" is very interesting, because it introduces a new way to start the game focusing on animals. The 15 pieces of Hay instead of 15 Parsnip Seeds set the farm mood, and push the player into the animal caring with the Coop and the two chickens in the early game. And I really like that "Riverland Farm" does the same with Fish Smoker

However farms like "Forest Farm", "Hill-top Farm" and "Wilderness Farm" doesn't have any special starting item that push the player to earn skill points on those areas in the early game. So, I'd like to give some items ideas according to the map environment and objetives, to start of the game on these. I would try to recommend two things: 1) Item contained in the box, and 2) Crafted Item at the begining located in the farm cabin (if necesary), as an early money maker.

Note: This suggestion considers that Meadowsland Farm gives tha player a Coop and 2 chickens, with are equal to 5.600 (without counting the Wood and Stone requiered). .

Standar Farm: This is the main farm, ideal for crops (no more animals since Meadowsland Farm is ideal for this). So, the improvement could be:

Item in the box: 15 parnsnip (no change)

Crafted item: Keg. To introduce the player at artisan goods in the early game.

First mission: Same

Riverland Farm: Have to say, I played on this map focusing on fishing experience, and this is what I would love to have at the beginning.

Item in the box: 1 Crap Pot and 15 Bait.
Reason: Since you have a lot of water into your farm, it pushes to star using it to earn money. Also Crab Pot can be crafted at Fishing Level 3, so getting fish from crab pot can allow to get it faster and use it more once you achieve it, and Bait can be crafted at level two.

First mission could be collect 4 crab pot animals (if 1 crab pot). Because parsnip seeds growth in 4 days, it would take the same amount of time. Also because fishing road is available at day 2 and the mission has to be set at day 1.

Crafted item: Fish smoker is very good. Because it push the player to fish more to earn early money. (Consider that the recipe of Fish smoker is 10.000 at Willy's shop

Forest Farm: I just started a save file with this, trying to focus on foraging skill. It isnt easy since you have two main money resources 1) forageables and 2) syrups. So I would suggest:

Item in the Box: 3 Tapper.
Reason: Tappers allow player to explore trees and syrups. There are 3 types of trees at the beginning (Maple, Oak and Pine). And it will became a source of money in the early game.

Crafted item: Dehydrator. (Considering that if player select mushroom cave, they get one free anyways, but because is the fruit cave the one that gives you Foraging skill, this could be the path, and it would compensate not having Dehydrator)

First mission (Option 1): Collect 5 forageable items. This whould push the player to gathering wild resources found on the ground.

Hill-top Farm: I haven't focus on this yet in my gameplays. The focus here is in mining, so it could be mining ores or minerals. Since minerals support craft items are advanced, I suggest start with ores. But each option depens on the crafted item:

Item in the box: 15 Coal (because the mines opens at day 5, players must need them at the beginning to start making ore bars)

Crafted item (Option 1: Early support): Furnance - Reducing the cost of start smelting.
Crafted item (Option 2: Early money source): Crystalarium - Allowing the player to have one passive source of money once they got a mineral.

First mission: Furnance 1 bronce bar. Player would get bronce from the map quarry.
PS: Would be necessary to garantee that the mining area won't be blocked by a Large Stump, Large Log, or a Boulder.

Wilderness Farm: I haven't focus on this yet, but because if focus on combat, then monsters loot could be their main money source at early game. I consider this is the unadventage farm (and skill) for the early game, because the lack of support items that makes you earn early money. But, I suggest two options:

****Option 1 (Early support):
Item in the box (Option 1): Rings: Topaz Ring, this would allow the player to do damage with each how attack, until the earning of the sword at day 5.
Note: I would prefer Burglar's ring, since it allows the player to earn more money with combat skill, but this is a reward for eradicating 500 dust spirities, so I don't know if could be the best option.

Crafted item (Option 1): None, since combat skill doesn't have much crafted items that can be placed on the map. And the only ones are really advanced.

First mission (Option 1): Kill 5 monsters (or more, depending on how many monsters appear on the first 5 days of spring - before the mines open).

****Option 2 (Early money source):
Item in the box: Green Slime Egg.

Crafted item: 1 Slime Incubator and 1 Slime Egg-Press in Slime Hutch

Building: As the Meadowsland Farm start with a coop and two chickens, this farm could start with a Slime Hutch,. Anyways Slime Hutch aren't used as a main money source at the late game (When you can get Iridium Bar), so it could be used at the early game in this farm map, pushing the player to collect Slime from cave. (Because it cost 10.000, it would be the kind of the same than other farms).

First mission: Hatch one Slime Egg on Slime Incubator.

Note for Option 2: In this option because the Slime Hutch is aviable on the farm before the start of the game, Marlon won't visit the player to provide a Slime Egg.

Four Corners Farm: Since it is for multiplayer, the cabin would be enought. But the other maps can do it too. So maybe, but just maybe, each player could have the same starting items depending on the cabin they have at the start of the game. Example, the cabin similar to Hill-Top Farm Cabin, get those started items. (Combat Farm Map not included).

Beach Farm: No ideas since it is not a map for a unique skill.

I hope you can read this message, and try to make other farm maps interesting on their skills as "Meadowsland Farm" did on animal caring.

Anyone feel free to add new ideas, beacuse I haven't explore the wholes maps, and skills at the begining of the game.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Meadowlands starting items seems like such a new outsider idk how it would feel to have these things revamped for other farms. Really cool suggestions though, having starter items could really help balance some farms and make them more viable, especially for short term files.

Heramegu

Greenhorn
Meadowlands starting items seems like such a new outsider idk how it would feel to have these things revamped for other farms. Really cool suggestions though, having starter items could really help balance some farms and make them more viable, especially for short term files.
Totally. The reason why I'm suggesting its because I would like that each farm has its own unique way of start the game making use of a specific skill. But what I'm seeing is that every farm pushes the player to do farming as an early money maker.

At the end, we may have all skills master, because thats a Farmer. But, in the early game each farm map should feel different, the money income source should be oriented to a particular skill (or at least that what I think).

I'd like to try every farm on its own skill at early game, and develop the other ones at mid-late game. Right now the game doesn't make you feel that way because you have to plant seeds as the standar first mission, and doesn't pushes the player into others skills just starting the game. So you may feel that there's only one way to play the game: Start Farming (Spring), and then you develop other skills:

Fishing - Day 2;
Mining - Day 5
Foraging - When you can't do any of the other ones, or just for support. Also for Bundles
Combat - Just because mining start at level 5, and use it as support by selling bat wings, or slime.

Animal caring felt that way before 1.6., just as a support for Farming. But it feel different with Meadowsland Farm, because now you have a starting point.

I hope it can be done by Concerned Ape, but also I know he would be kind of busy.

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
Hi Heramegu and Welcome to the Forums!

The Forest Farm already gets continual items with the forageables which spawn there. IMO this was always overbalanced towards the Forest Farm and only the Beach Farm items that wash ashore potentially match it, though for my play style the Forest Farm's items are more useful. I love both, though! And I like that the Wilderness farm has its own "advantage" (100% not IMO but that's just me) of the monsters that spawn there nightly and now that you get some XP from them, I feel this balances the farm out. Riverlands always looked great even though it has many design and navigation challenges, so IMO the new Riverlands perk is a good counterbalance for those limitations. But yeah, Hill-top needs some love and the Furnace idea seems to be a nice one. Crystalarium is too OP and anyway you eventually get one from the Museum.

I like that each Farm should have a perk and not all need to "match" and be crafted items, instead a variety of perk types make the choice and compromise more interesting. Also keeping the Regular Farm with no changes is an appropriate nod to the OG version of the game so you can play 'vanilla' if you so choose.

Heramegu

Greenhorn
Hi Heramegu and Welcome to the Forums!

The Forest Farm already gets continual items with the forageables which spawn there. IMO this was always overbalanced towards the Forest Farm and only the Beach Farm items that wash ashore potentially match it, though for my play style the Forest Farm's items are more useful. I love both, though! And I like that the Wilderness farm has its own "advantage" (100% not IMO but that's just me) of the monsters that spawn there nightly and now that you get some XP from them, I feel this balances the farm out. Riverlands always looked great even though it has many design and navigation challenges, so IMO the new Riverlands perk is a good counterbalance for those limitations. But yeah, Hill-top needs some love and the Furnace idea seems to be a nice one. Crystalarium is too OP and anyway you eventually get one from the Museum.

I like that each Farm should have a perk and not all need to "match" and be crafted items, instead a variety of perk types make the choice and compromise more interesting. Also keeping the Regular Farm with no changes is an appropriate nod to the OG version of the game so you can play 'vanilla' if you so choose.
1) Agree with you on Forest Farm. That why Dehydrator could be just a maybe. But the map is the one that provides you the tools to explore foraging.

2) I don't think Wilderness Farm have really an adventage, since every Farm can display monsters at the early game (Advanced Options). It's just that Wilderness Farm appear more monsters that other farms. But it doesn't compensate or, IMO, it doesn't feel special or different. to the others one

3) Hill-Top: Agree. Crystalarium could be too OP, because the mineral continues reproducing.

4) Riverland farm is very good. But what I guess is how to push the player to use the skill asocated with the farm at the early game as the main source of money. Others skills would be able too and, as a player, if you just prefer the farm layout, you can develop those skills early if you want to (this apply to every other farm map)

Last edited:
I like the idea of a starting package that leans into the farm theme, but I don't feel like they need to be all that much. I'm in my first fall on my meadowlands farms, and without any starting seeds, I feel like I'm not that much further ahead than I'd normally be without the coop starter.

Riverland farm has the most setbacks imo, so it starting with a fish smoker now is great. I think a recycling machine or a $2000 gold discount on the smoker blueprint from Willy would be a nice additional perk.

Hilltop has always been my favorite farm layout and I've never not been smelting copper bars before the mines are even available. Clint shows up to give you a free furnace blueprint as soon as you mine ore, so I don't think starting with a furnace is necessary. A box of coal left behind from grandpa or as a gift from Clint after you've crafted your first furnace would be awesome though.

Wilderness farm is also a favorite of mine. The fact that you earn combat points on it now is a huge perk. I personally love the layout as much as the monsters, but since you can turn monster spawing on for any farm now, I agree thatit could use another combat related perk. I'm thinking either: a) half skill points for on-farm kills instead of the third that others get. b) a rusty sword, either left by grandpa or gifted by Marlon when you move in. c) the topaz ring already suggested by the op.

I'm loving my current beach farm. I did not expect to. It's great for building. The downside is the lack of farm area that can use sprinklers, but crates wash up on the shore with gifts and I've gotten 30 boxes of deluxe retaining soil this way already. I guess you start off with a few boxes of retaining soil? Or maybe a standard shed, since as I said, it's perfect for building heavy designs.

The forrest farm could start off with a dehydrator or preserve jar to get more out of your foragables early game. Maybe you get a $2000 gold discount on the dehydrator blueprint from Pierre to encourage you utilize your farm and do business with him.

I have never used the standard farm. I have no idea what would be benefitial for it. Maybe you start off with a sprinkler or scarecrow left behind by grandpa?

Zangdar

Greenhorn
I'll just make an aside regarding the "Wilderness Farm" (which I chose in current save). I'm disappointed that monsters can attack us when I'm fishing on the central pond or on the shore southwest of the farm area.

Benefiting from a special starting item to carry with you (a ring?) at this type of farm which gives us immunity to monster attacks when fishing on our farm would be welcome. While returning from treatment at Harvey's, I was also attacked several times and ended up at Harvey's a second time for emergency treatment during the same night. As soon as I entered the farm area, a monster knocked me out again.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Totally. The reason why I'm suggesting its because I would like that each farm has its own unique way of start the game making use of a specific skill. But what I'm seeing is that every farm pushes the player to do farming as an early money maker.

At the end, we may have all skills master, because thats a Farmer. But, in the early game each farm map should feel different, the money income source should be oriented to a particular skill (or at least that what I think).

I'd like to try every farm on its own skill at early game, and develop the other ones at mid-late game. Right now the game doesn't make you feel that way because you have to plant seeds as the standar first mission, and doesn't pushes the player into others skills just starting the game. So you may feel that there's only one way to play the game: Start Farming (Spring), and then you develop other skills:

Fishing - Day 2;
Mining - Day 5
Foraging - When you can't do any of the other ones, or just for support. Also for Bundles
Combat - Just because mining start at level 5, and use it as support by selling bat wings, or slime.

Animal caring felt that way before 1.6., just as a support for Farming. But it feel different with Meadowsland Farm, because now you have a starting point.

I hope it can be done by Concerned Ape, but also I know he would be kind of busy.
Fair enough, pre 1.5 forest farm was amazing because the only good way to get infinite hardwood was the secrets woods and the forest farm was better than that and not exclusive. I liked the implementation of the beach farm as it spiced things up and I think you could totally be onto something with the variations in each farm.

Heramegu

Greenhorn
I like the idea of a starting package that leans into the farm theme, but I don't feel like they need to be all that much. I'm in my first fall on my meadowlands farms, and without any starting seeds, I feel like I'm not that much further ahead than I'd normally be without the coop starter.

Riverland farm has the most setbacks imo, so it starting with a fish smoker now is great. I think a recycling machine or a $2000 gold discount on the smoker blueprint from Willy would be a nice additional perk.

Hilltop has always been my favorite farm layout and I've never not been smelting copper bars before the mines are even available. Clint shows up to give you a free furnace blueprint as soon as you mine ore, so I don't think starting with a furnace is necessary. A box of coal left behind from grandpa or as a gift from Clint after you've crafted your first furnace would be awesome though.

Wilderness farm is also a favorite of mine. The fact that you earn combat points on it now is a huge perk. I personally love the layout as much as the monsters, but since you can turn monster spawing on for any farm now, I agree thatit could use another combat related perk. I'm thinking either: a) half skill points for on-farm kills instead of the third that others get. b) a rusty sword, either left by grandpa or gifted by Marlon when you move in. c) the topaz ring already suggested by the op.

I'm loving my current beach farm. I did not expect to. It's great for building. The downside is the lack of farm area that can use sprinklers, but crates wash up on the shore with gifts and I've gotten 30 boxes of deluxe retaining soil this way already. I guess you start off with a few boxes of retaining soil? Or maybe a standard shed, since as I said, it's perfect for building heavy designs.

The forrest farm could start off with a dehydrator or preserve jar to get more out of your foragables early game. Maybe you get a $2000 gold discount on the dehydrator blueprint from Pierre to encourage you utilize your farm and do business with him.

I have never used the standard farm. I have no idea what would be benefitial for it. Maybe you start off with a sprinkler or scarecrow left behind by grandpa?
It isn't the idea that these suggestion puts you ahead beside other farm maps. It is just a way to start improving and making money from a different skill, the one that leans the farm map. So IMO, this idea is not to develop a sence of balance in the farm maps, but to make the player feel the early game different according to their new environment.

In that way, what I'm looking is to suggest ideas that makes the players 1) learning how to play with a specific skill, and 2) earn money based on a that specific skill in a way that can be sustainable during the early game. And that would push the player to develop this skill before others. Example: Hilltop, player could prefer to develop mining skill before other ones because the maps gives some facilities to earn money that way. IMO, what is happening right now is that each farm map is sustained with crops as their main source of money, and that consume too much time and energy of the day.

As a new example look at new patch new mechanisms:
1) Ticket machine: Trying to push players to start making bulletin quest.
2) Fish smoker: Trying to push the player to fish more on Riverland Farm.

Or new help tools like:
1) New Mystery Boxed (QI): Trying to make the early game easier
2) Ticket machine rewards: Same

Heramegu

Greenhorn
Overthinking my suggestion, I really don't know if it would have the impact I'm assuming. So I made a pool. Hope y'all can answer it.

noobsqoou

Sodbuster
It's definitely an interesting concept, and it would make sense to imagine that Mayor Lewis would have gifted items that are in line with what the farmer's grandfather used to work with in his days on the farm.

riklaunim

Greenhorn
  • forest farm: big patch of soil where seasonal seeds (foraged ones) do not need watering and you start with 15 spring seeds
  • wilderness: this could change to a map with it own forest mini dungeon that changes daily and it's more likely to get foraged and random rewards than mining nodes (like supply crates on beach farm, fishing chest rewards) with either combat or a fishing spot or a harvesting spot. You start with a dagger and field snacks... no monster spawns outside the dungeons and that dungeon takes part of the farm area. The map should look really wild, raw, remore wilderness.
  • beach farm: boat pier - transport to the city beach but also vendors/fishers may dock either to offer good or seek help
  • river farm: would be nice to have some water based buildings to then have river farm start with one. Maybe some devices that help fish breed (and we get roe). Other maps would benefit from trash filters ;) Also timber rafting, panning.