Solved Stardew Valley black screens once I sleep on 28 of fall

imaloner827

Newcomer
I am using SMAPI 3.14.6 with Stardew Valley 1.5.6 (build 1.3.37.0) on macOS Unix 10.13.6

No matter what i do, all my mods are up to date yet SMAPI still runs into an error. I can't decipher what the error is so can someone help me? The screen goes black and nothing happens, effectively locking me out of winter. I would appreciate any help I can get.

Here is the log: https://smapi.io/log/bc68ea0a4ed2424f9e9ad94b337025e6
The reason why there are so many errors is because it seems to be one or two errors repeating, causing over 100 errors.
This is the repeating error:

EndOfStreamException: Unable to read beyond the end of the stream. at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadByte() at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.GetContentReaderFromXnb(String originalAssetName, Stream stream, BinaryReader xnbReader, Action`1 recordDisposableObject) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\2\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Content\ContentManager.cs:line 339 at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset[T](String assetName, Action`1 recordDisposableObject) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\2\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Content\ContentManager.cs:line 322 at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.Load[T](String assetName) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\2\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Content\ContentManager.cs:line 255 at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.ContentManagers.GameContentManager.<>c__DisplayClass6_0`1.<LoadExact>b__0() at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.Utilities.ContextHash`1.Track[TResult](T key, Func`1 action) at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.ContentManagers.GameContentManager.LoadExact[T](IAssetName assetName, Boolean useCache) at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.ContentManagers.BaseContentManager.LoadLocalized[T](IAssetName assetName, LanguageCode language, Boolean useCache) at StardewValley.AnimatedSprite.loadTexture() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\2\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\AnimatedSprite.cs:line 163 at StardewValley.FarmAnimal.dayUpdate(GameLocation environtment) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\2\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\FarmAnimals\FarmAnimal.cs:line 785 at StardewValley.AnimalHouse.DayUpdate(Int32 dayOfMonth) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\2\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Locations\AnimalHouse.cs:line 370 at StardewValley.Buildings.Building.dayUpdate(Int32 dayOfMonth) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\2\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Buildings\Building.cs:line 820 at StardewValley.Buildings.Barn.dayUpdate(Int32 dayOfMonth) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\2\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Buildings\Barn.cs:line 115 at StardewValley.Locations.BuildableGameLocation.DayUpdate(Int32 dayOfMonth) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\2\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Locations\BuildableGameLocation.cs:line 32 at StardewValley.Farm.DayUpdate(Int32 dayOfMonth) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\2\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Locations\Farm.cs:line 301 at StardewValley.Game1._newDayAfterFade()+MoveNext() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\2\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 9694 at StardewValley.Game1.<>c.<newDayAfterFade>b__716_2() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\2\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 8714 at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.<>c.<.cctor>b__277_0(Object obj) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) --- End of stack trace from previous location --- at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(Task& currentTaskSlot, Thread threadPoolThread)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hey, just saw your message; thanks for the log.

Taking a quick look it appears to probably be an issue with "Better Ranching". As it keeps complaining about animals, and the barn.
Can you try removing that mod, and retrying?

Here is the file I play on. Not sure if this is what you want, but i could only attach the zip file, not the folder itself.
Zipped up is fine.
But, I was taking a look and while the name is correct. This save is a whole season behind; still in Summer.
I was expecting it to be Fall 28... very odd.

I'd really recommend just resetting all the content files: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Modding:Player_Guide/Troubleshooting#Reset_your_content_files
Then reinstall SMAPI for a fresh start.

imaloner827

Newcomer
Yes! Thanks, I really appreciate the help, now i tested by sleeping and the bug does not happen anymore! Luckily i can close without saving so I can properly redo the day again. Thanks for the suggestions!