(spoilers?) Best uses for prismatic shards?

selizabeth24

Newcomer
I've finally got my hands on two prismatic shards and was wondering if it would be a wise decision to use one of them to obtain the galaxy sword. I still need one of them or dino mayonnaise to complete the missing bundle at the jojo mart. I thought it would make sense to get the galaxy sword and then use it to find more shards in skull cavern. Thoughts?

Worblehat

Planter
Yes, first shard to get the galaxy sword is pretty much a no-brainer. I wouldn't (and didn't) use one in the movie theater bundle - better to find a dino egg, hatch it, and have as many dino eggs as you need that way for all your bundle, shipping, and tailoring needs. 🦖

For the second one, depends where you are in the game. If you're not on mobile and have unlocked Ginger Island, there are some nice uses for them there (being deliberately vague in case this is spoiler-ish). You'll also need to donate one to the museum to finish the collection.

selizabeth24

Newcomer
Thanks for your thoughts on this! I definitely will be getting the galaxy sword with one of them now, but I wasn't so sure about using it in the bundle. I'm still on the hunt for the dino egg. Hopefully I'll be able to find one in the caverns, and I'll definitely be taking your advice and hatching it for more eggs. Thanks again!

I had the same thought and question just a day ago so thank you for posting this so it was a very welcome read. I too figured the sword was necessary but curious what to prioritize next. Thanks for the input Worblehat. 🙂

Last edited:

Johndeere756

Planter
I used my first for the galaxy sword, and I thought seriously about using the 2nd for the missing bundle, but I'm glad I didn't. I was also having trouble at first with the dino egg, but I finally got 1 in a treasure chest while fishing. If you are ok at fishing, you will get one eventually. I just consider myself decent at it, and have probably gotten around 10 that way. Like everyone says, just be sure and put your first in a incubator, and before you know it you will have all the eggs you want, lol. Good luck!

Elenna101

Farmer
I used my first for the galaxy sword, and I thought seriously about using the 2nd for the missing bundle, but I'm glad I didn't. I was also having trouble at first with the dino egg, but I finally got 1 in a treasure chest while fishing. If you are ok at fishing, you will get one eventually. I just consider myself decent at it, and have probably gotten around 10 that way. Like everyone says, just be sure and put your first in a incubator, and before you know it you will have all the eggs you want, lol. Good luck!
Also, I'm not sure how you got your two prismatic shards, but if you're good enough at Skull Caverns to get them from there, then it shouldn't be too hard to keep doing SC until you find few prehistoric floors and kill some dinos, which can drop eggs.
If you're on PC, you have the option of using the Stardew Predictor website to check which floors have the possibility of being dino floors - although note that it's not certain that they will be dino floors, since certain floor layouts are not allowed to be dino floors.

selizabeth24

Newcomer
Also, I'm not sure how you got your two prismatic shards, but if you're good enough at Skull Caverns to get them from there, then it shouldn't be too hard to keep doing SC until you find few prehistoric floors and kill some dinos, which can drop eggs.
If you're on PC, you have the option of using the Stardew Predictor website to check which floors have the possibility of being dino floors - although note that it's not certain that they will be dino floors, since certain floor layouts are not allowed to be dino floors.
Thanks for your response to this! I actually got my first shard from a mystic stone in the quarry, the second one I did get in the Skull Caverns. I've heard of a lot of people getting the dino eggs while fishing as Johndeere756 had, so I've been spending a lot of time doing that lately, but I've been saving my extra lucky days for the caverns. Hopefully with enough bombs, salads and stairs I'll be able to find a prehistoric floor and finally find one! :)

MissDandy

Farmer
(Spoilers for Ginger Island)

I've found four throughout my game, and I used two of them. One was to get the galaxy sword and one was to enchant it in the Volcano Dungeon. It turned out to be great because I got the Haymaker enchantment, which turns out to be super handy if you run out of hay for your animals on a Monday or Tuesday when Marnie isn't at her store. The wiki has a list of the possible enchantments (Be careful because the enchantment you get is random. If you end up with an enchantment you don't like, you can try again with another prismatic shard. So enchantment probably isn't the best use of your second shard if you only have two.)
In terms of the movie theatre bundle, I'm pretty much in the same boat as everybody else and just used a Dino egg once I found one and incubated it.

Last edited:

Winter01

Newcomer
Possible spoilers involving Prismatic Shard uses and Museum rewards.

I have my first Prismatic Shard (by smacking open an Omni Geode, if how I got it matters), but am unsure what to do with it. I have 59 items in my museum collection and could donate it to unlock the Sewers. Or I could use it for the Galaxy Sword. However, I have not yet unlocked the bus via the Vault Bundles. I could do this fairly quickly, however it would use up much of my funds, which may be critical ( I'm in about mid game- Summer Year 2, starting to get animals, unlocked Quarry and Minecarts) at this stage.
Which should I do?
Maybe I should gift it-
I'm not the smartest player this game has ever seen, but I'm not THAT dumb.

Last edited:

Boo1972

Farmer
I would save the prismatic shard until you unlock the desert. You really do need a better weapon than the obsidian edge to tackle Skull Cavern- or at least I do. The lava katana is useful but it costs 25,00g. If you’re worried about funds to fix the bus, I’m guessing that cost is prohibitive.

Really, I think the answer to “what should o do with my first prismatic shard?” Is always the same- galaxy sword.

Worblehat

Planter
if how I got it matters
Depends on how you opened that geode, whether you've opened any geodes since then, and how exploit-y you want to be.
The geode crusher is offset by one from Clint when opening geodes. So if you get something really nice when Clint opens one, you can take a geode of the same type to your geode crusher and get a second one. Assuming you've done Clint's Special Order quest, but mid-year 2 that's plausible, and you can wait until it pops up if you haven't.

Note that this trick only applies to literal geodes, not the geode-like objects you don't yet have access to (artifact troves and golden coconuts), since the crusher can't open those.

And if you've opened more geodes since the one that gave you the shard, you're out of luck. But this trick may be worth remembering when you see a geode give iridium ore, for example.

It's not clear to me if this offset between Clint and the geode crusher is working as intended, or if it might be a bug. I'm happy to make use of it but I can see how others might consider it an exploit.