simple suggestion - hardwood -> coal

GamesWithFade

Newcomer
I have over 100+ hours on stardew valley and every new save that I make I am always lacking coal.
I think a very simple, cool, and realistic addition would be to make it possible to put hardwood into the charcoal kiln.
As an example you could put lets say: 5 hardwood into the charcoal kiln and get maybe 3 coal back.
It would make me extremely happy if I were to see that my suggestion would make it into the game and I hope that a developer would maybe just look into it!

LRangerR

Local Legend
You can put hardwood into the woodchipper to get wood, and then you can turn around and take that wood and put it into a kiln. Idk what the hardwood -> coal ratio for that would be though.

Drullo321

Sodbuster
Just to add additional information to LRangerR's post. The ratio using hardwood->woodchipper->wood->charcoal kin->coal is exactly 1:1. Woodchipper converts 1 hardwood to 10 wood. 10 woods are needed to create 1 coal via the charcoal kin.

So just to answer the threadstarters question/request, you can already do this with current machines. However afaik you have to buy the woodchipper from Robin and can't buy it.

imnvs

Local Legend
Just to add additional information to LRangerR's post. The ratio using hardwood->woodchipper->wood->charcoal kin->coal is exactly 1:1. Woodchipper converts 1 hardwood to 10 wood. 10 woods are needed to create 1 coal via the charcoal kin.
I think your numbers are off.

96% of the time it turns 1 hardwood into 5-10 wood.
2% of the time it turns 1 hardwood into 15-20 wood.
The remaining 2% of the time it gives you pine tar, oak resin or maple syrup.

So... on average, 96% of the time you're getting 7.5 wood, and 2% of the time you're getting 17.5 wood, and 2% of the time you're getting 0 wood. That averages out to 7.55 wood per 1 hardwood, which means .755 coal per hardwood.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Not a terrible ratio. As far as balancing goes it seems pretty fair, too. (imo)

Idk if the syrups should be part of the chipper though. That implies you're putting wood through that is still fresh enough to produce saps in great quantities.