SDVE help

dewdrop444

Newcomer
i've dealt with mods in the past and usually have no issue, but it's been a while and this is the first time i have ever tried SDVE. i have everything downloaded that the mod requires and what originally comes in the mods folder after you download SMAPI, nothing else. i've checked and i'm 99% sure everything is up to date, so i have no idea what else to do -- my issue is that i will start my save, watch the beginning cutscene right up to the loading screen just before you meet robin, and it'll be stuck. i let it sit for a while, just thinking that since it's a big mod it might take a while to load, but after 15 minutes i got tired waiting.

here is what my SMAPI looks like after getting stuck on this loading screen:
[game] An error occurred in the base update loop: Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentLoadException: The content file was not found.
---> FileNotFoundException: Content\Portraits/George.xnb
---> DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\Content\Portraits\George.xnb'.
at System.IO.FileStream.ValidateFileHandle(SafeFileHandle fileHandle)
at System.IO.FileStream.CreateFileOpenHandle(FileMode mode, FileShare share, FileOptions options)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.TitleContainer.PlatformOpenStream(String safeName) in stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Platform\TitleContainer.Desktop.cs:line 29
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.TitleContainer.OpenStream(String name) in stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\TitleContainer.cs:line 37
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.TitleContainer.OpenStream(String name) in stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\TitleContainer.cs:line 58
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.OpenStream(String assetName) in stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Content\ContentManager.cs:line 276
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.OpenStream(String assetName) in stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Content\ContentManager.cs:line 289
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset[T](String assetName, Action`1 recordDisposableObject) in stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Content\ContentManager.cs:line 319
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.Load[T](String assetName) in stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Content\ContentManager.cs:line 255
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.ContentManagers.GameContentManager.<>c__DisplayClass6_0`1.<LoadExact>b__0() in SMAPI\Framework\ContentManagers\GameContentManager.cs:line 141
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.Utilities.ContextHash`1.Track[TResult](T key, Func`1 action) in SMAPI\Framework\Utilities\ContextHash.cs:line 53
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.ContentManagers.GameContentManager.LoadExact[T](IAssetName assetName, Boolean useCache)
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.ContentManagers.BaseContentManager.LoadLocalized[T](IAssetName assetName, LanguageCode language, Boolean useCache) in SMAPI\Framework\ContentManagers\BaseContentManager.cs:line 152
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.ContentManagers.BaseContentManager.Load[T](String assetName, LanguageCode language) in SMAPI\Framework\ContentManagers\BaseContentManager.cs:line 143
at StardewValley.Game1.loadForNewGame_PatchedBy<SMAPI__spacechase0.JsonAssets__spacechase0.SpaceCore>(Boolean loadedGame)
at StardewValley.Minigames.Intro.tick(GameTime time)
at StardewValley.Game1._update(GameTime gameTime)
at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime)
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.SCore.OnPlayerInstanceUpdating(SGame instance, GameTime gameTime, Action runUpdate)
[game] An error occurred in the base update loop: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at StardewValley.Game1.onFadeToBlackComplete() in stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 7096
at StardewValley.BellsAndWhistles.ScreenFade.UpdateFade(GameTime time) in stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\BellsAndWhistles\ScreenFade.cs:line 46
at StardewValley.Game1.UpdateOther(GameTime time) in stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 7278
at StardewValley.Game1._update(GameTime gameTime) in stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 4879
at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime) in stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 3974
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.SCore.OnPlayerInstanceUpdating(SGame instance, GameTime gameTime, Action runUpdate) in SMAPI\Framework\SCore.cs:line 1117

Hi, for mod support issues it's always best to share your full SMAPI log via: https://smapi.io/log/

But, the error you shared is for SDV missing files for George; who is a vanilla NPC.

That means something happened to your base game files, and you'll need to verify your game files to fix them: